Off Topic Messages

Great Performance !

Thu May 29, 2003 1:08 am

Talking of great performances - I have a clip of Faith Hill singing 'The Star Spangled Banner' at the Superbowl which makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck !

And I'm not even an American !

Colin B

Thu May 29, 2003 1:11 am

FWIW, it's a lip-synched performance.

Thu May 29, 2003 8:29 am

Is that correct, Doctor? I never saw the performance. I can't believe anyone could stoop so low as not to perform the song live. I've never seen that happen at any major sports events. But, then again, I don't see them all.

jeff R

Thu May 29, 2003 5:49 pm

Don't forget that Whitney did the exact same thing in 1991. To me there's just something strange about a singer that can't perform as well live. A friend of mine saw Britney Spears a couple of years back and said she sounded nothing like her CD and there were times when she thought she was lip syncing as well. It's amazing what a hot bod and a great studio sound engineer can do. Can you say Milli Vanilli???

Tom

Thu May 29, 2003 6:06 pm

Many artists lipsync at the superbowl. I think they make them. Sad as it is. Remember though, THEY STILL SANG THE SONG, just not live. So saying something is a great performance can be accurate, depending on how you mean the compliment.

I remember when I was getting disgusted with Jewel. She did the national anthem at the Superbowl and missed her cue!! She was waving and saying hi and singing at the same time!!! Stupid Stupid. Great songwriter/singer, HORRIBLE judgement.

Fri May 30, 2003 7:06 am

Genesim -

Well Faith Hill didn't put a foot [lip?] wrong !

Colin B

Fri May 30, 2003 7:13 am

Ha ... I remember this chick who was touring here.. I think she went by ther name of Betty Boo. She was doing some performance and she dropped her mike and.... well it must have been very embarrasing for her.
Lip synching on stage. :oops:

Fri May 30, 2003 6:26 pm

Best performance of S.S.B: Hendrix at Woodstock of course!

Sincerely MB280E

Fri May 30, 2003 9:35 pm

MB280E -

Woodstock ?

Guess I must be too young for that one !!

Colin B

Fri May 30, 2003 10:21 pm

I hear Jimi lip synced that one!

Sat May 31, 2003 2:29 am

Hendrix's August 1969 rendition has to take the silver.

Marvin Gaye's astounding -- and live -- performance of the song at 1983's NBA All Star game is by far the greatest version of "The Star Spangled Banner."

Sat May 31, 2003 11:50 pm

I am pleased both Hendrix and Gaye's version of The Star Spangled Banner are recognized as among the greatest versions ever of this anthem. I have enjoyed both versions for many years. Jimi's version is probably historically more important and truly earth-shattering, and of course can be seen on the JH Live at Woodstock DVD. As far as electric rock gitarists are concerned, Hendrix is The King. Way up there.

Marvin's epic performance can be found on MG's "The Master 1961-1984" 4cd box set, which also includes a truly beautiful a capella "The Lord's Prayer" recorded in Belgium (which closes this collection) -my own home country- during Marvin's exile. Footage of this historic version of TSSB also exists and here we see him with sunglasses and really putting his soul (and some nasty funk) into the American national anthem and make it groove. You will never hear it like this again, that's for sure 8)

Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:47 am

James27 -

You got it, as Little Richard once sang.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:06 am

......and Roy Orbison, too! :D