Off Topic Messages

Favourite Football/Soccer Team?

Sat May 24, 2003 4:53 pm

As a little light relief, perhaps those Elvis fans also into football might like to share their darkest secrets regarding favourite team. For myself, I don't mind admitting to being a die-hard Newcastle United fan, in spite of the signing of Lee Bower.

Out of interest, our friends across the pond (or indeed in other parts of the world) might like to share their favourite teams or players in various sports.

Sat May 24, 2003 4:57 pm

FC Barcelona despite they are a disaster this year ..well and last ! and before the last one :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Guest on Sat May 24, 2003 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 24, 2003 5:02 pm

Blackburn Rovers. The last season was fairly successful for us, finishing sixth and qualifying for the UEFA cup. Graeme Souness is doing a great job.

Last edited by rockinrebel on Sun May 25, 2003 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 24, 2003 6:23 pm

Fransesc:

Indeed Barcelona might be struggling in La Liga, but they still managed to beat Newcastle home and away in the Champions League last season. You could take small comfort in the knowledge that Real Madrid disgraced themselves in the semi-final against Juventus.

Sat May 24, 2003 7:49 pm

God, we are doing so poorly that we were afraid to go to the 2nd Division. Never happened iany time but we were close!

There is some relief that R. Madrid lost but not when we didnt win anything at all. Sad!

The only good thing is that we won the European Basketball competition! After 20 years trying that was time :))

glasgow celtic

Sat May 24, 2003 8:32 pm

this rocknroller loves the celtic unlucky not to be uafa cup winners but will beat the rangers on sunday to win three in a row.

Sat May 24, 2003 11:29 pm

Dunfermline Athletic.

Sun May 25, 2003 1:32 am

"Laat ons weer eens juichen .... FC FC Groningen"

Sun May 25, 2003 2:33 am

Rocknroller:

My money is on Celtic doing 3 in a row as well, although I believe they are away to Kilmarnock on Sunday whilst Rangers are home to Dunfirmline. Plus Celtic have Hartson and Sutton injured. That leaves only Henrik Larrson, who hardly ever scores, to bang them in the net. Assuming Rangers win their match, Celtic have to win by at least 2-0, if my maths are correct.

Sun May 25, 2003 4:08 am

Over here I Barack for Collingwood, also known as the Magpies.
That's in Australian Rules Football. They were runners up last year and doing quite well again this year. :D

Sun May 25, 2003 4:55 am

carolynlm wrote:Over here, we have differing views on what is 'football'. If this country was ever going to split, it would be about football. My footy team is a rugby league team called South Sydney, go the Rabbitohs.....

Go Knights... LOL

:twisted:

Sun May 25, 2003 2:10 pm

Sam:

Quite a coincidence as my team, Newcastle United, also are known as the Magpies. This time next year I will undoubtedly be praising them as winners of the English Premiership, as both Arsenal and Manchester United struggle to avoid relegation....

Sun May 25, 2003 4:12 pm

Any team known as the Magpies and/or wears the black and white stipes is OK by me. :D
Good luck to them.

I expect my magpies to do well in the finals come September.(It's about time)
:twisted:

Sun May 25, 2003 9:35 pm

I like the Miami Dolphins in the NFL... As faras college football I love my Tennessee Vols... MLB I like the Atlanta Braves... chris

Sun May 25, 2003 11:40 pm

Springsteen likes the Dolphis too!

Mon May 26, 2003 2:51 am

Cool pic

Mon May 26, 2003 6:45 pm

COLLEGE U.S. FOOTBALL

PRO U.S. FOOTBALL

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL

NHL HOCKEY

Mon May 26, 2003 7:27 pm

Sam what is all the talk about Collingwoods black and white stripe when you guys come and play us (Port Power) at AAMI stadium.

We are going to thump the living cra* out of you Friday night. I can't wait. I've got the popcorn and other snacks ready. It makes me so warm inside to see the pain and heartache on Eddies face when you guys loose.
http://afl.com.au

Tue May 27, 2003 4:06 am

Mark Williams want Collingwood to change there jumpers because they look similar. LOL He must be joking. One thing about him he has a sense of humour.

As Eddie says“I don’t even know why we’re taking about it. We’re talking about a team that’s been in the competition for three minutes, talking about a team that’s a foundation team and the biggest team in the competition.
“Port Adelaide, if they want to go back to when they were Port Adelaide Magpies, they used to wear magenta so we’re looking forward to seeing them turn out in their pink jumpers if they like.
“It’s as simple as this - the trademark of the Collingwood Football Club has always been the black and white stripes. That’s what we wear.”
“Other clubs that want to change their jumpers we wish them all the very best. That’s their marketing position. Ours is we don’t change, it is simple as that.
“Let’s not get all sucked in by this one. The Port Adelaide Football Club has been trying to gee-up this game a fair way in advance because they want to try and get their supporters in.”

Back to me....
It's always hard to win over there but we haven't done to badly lately over in Adelaide. I think Collingwood can win it.
I hope you don't get your pop corn stuck in your throat lol.
Isn't Eddie great for football.
:D :D

Tue May 27, 2003 11:50 am

What did I say about football splitting nation. Anyway you people, Hawthorn are going to win the Aussie Rules and Souths are going to win the league, so there is not point in any more 'talking' about it...O.K.????

I bite my tongue :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue May 27, 2003 2:33 pm

Hope I don't choke!? Wise guy eh? :wink:

Sam, I saw a picture today in the sport section showing a group of Power players and Collingwood players. It was very difficult telling them apart.

Todays game is not about the club and the players and the coaches presidents whatever, but about the fans. Not just fans of the club but of the game. They get paid to entertain us, not like in 1890 color is all that mattered. If the gurnseys are clashing then the fans watching at the ground and on t.v loose.

3 minutes in the competition! The AFL is a conglomeration of the VFL SANFL and WANFL as well as Sydney and Brisbane. Port is older than Collingwood.

Anyway being such a great follower of your team you should know all about its history then.. So you must know that "Collingwood modelled its black-and-white colours and the magpie emblem on those of South Australia’s inter-colonial football team of the 1890s."

“My understanding is that in 1897 SA had an inter-colonial team that was playing against Victoria. It was black and white and had a piping shrike (magpie), and I think the idea for the change in the Collingwood guernsey from red, blue and white at that time was because they quite liked the black and white and the magpie.” Brian Cunningham

source:http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=94650

Football

Tue May 27, 2003 4:24 pm

Roll Tide Roll!

Tue May 27, 2003 4:37 pm

I think Collingwood has always been black and white. It was the team Brittania that Played on Victoria Park that had the Red White and blue jumpers. When a team from this area was accepted into the VFA they were Collingwood (Magpies)and had the Black and White jumpers. It was because William Crawley, a member who had been impressed by the then black and white colors of the SA inter-colonial team. He also suggested the ``Magpies'' nickname which has become synonymous with the club from its very first game.

I mean how can a team called the magpies go onto a ground with anything but black and white. :?

Tue May 27, 2003 4:41 pm

carolynlm wrote:8) 8) You laughing at me Sam?????

Would I ??? No, I can't afford to get to many of you off side. :wink:

:D

Thu May 29, 2003 3:41 pm

:D
arsenal.....<we wuz robbed>