My Dog is not doing well

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
1015elvis
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

My Dog is not doing well

Post by 1015elvis »

Hey listen, my dog, Yogi is not doing well and is not expected to last the coming weeks. I decided to not put him down until after Christmas. He's doing okay right now, but anything could change in a heartbeat. Are their any suggestions in how to make his last few days the best he's ever had?

A little less conversation

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: My Dog is not doing well

Post by drjohncarpenter »

1015elvis wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:50 am
Hey listen, my dog, Yogi is not doing well and is not expected to last the coming weeks. I decided to not put him down until after Christmas. He's doing okay right now, but anything could change in a heartbeat. Are their any suggestions in how to make his last few days the best he's ever had?

You don't go into many details here. Are you certain that Yogi's illness cannot be resolved with the help of a veterinarian or medicine? Is your best friend an older dog, by which I mean at least ten years old?

My current pal is 14 and in decline. She's losing the use of her hind legs and is becoming incontinent. But her heart, mind and soul are the same as they've always been. She's kind, loyal and loving. I've determined to make each day as joyful and comfortable as possible.

Maggie gets only special food now, mixed with a little "regular" chow, which means lots of cooked chicken or hamburger with a side of Beneful. If she acts reluctant to make it down the steps to go out the front door for a walk, or to head into the back yard to do whatever, I carry her out and gently place her back down on all fours. I make sure she's clean if she's accidentally wet herself. I give her lots of affection and petting. She has a nice, soft dog bed for whenever she gets tired.

For your boy, just take it a day at a time. Give him all the love he's shown without hesitation since you became his guardian. As long as he's eating, and appears to be active and happy, keep him close. I hope everyone in your family does the same. You'll never have a better friend.

Hope this helps.

John

Topic author
1015elvis

Post by 1015elvis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:17 pm
1015elvis wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:50 am

You don't go into many details here. Are you certain that Yogi's illness cannot be resolved with the help of a veterinarian or medicine? Is your best friend an older dog, by which I mean at least ten years old?

My current pal is 14 and in decline. She's losing the use of her hind legs and is becoming incontinent. But her heart, mind and soul are the same as they've always been. She's kind, loyal and loving. I've determined to make each day as joyful and comfortable as possible.

Maggie gets only special food now, mixed with a little "regular" chow, which means lots of cooked chicken or hamburger with a side of Beneful. If she acts reluctant to make it down the steps to go out the front door for a walk, or to head into the back yard to do whatever, I carry her out and gently place her back down on all fours. I make sure she's clean if she's accidentally wet herself. I give her lots of affection and petting. She has a nice, soft dog bed for whenever she gets tired.

For your boy, just take it a day at a time. Give him all the love he's shown without hesitation since you became his guardian. As long as he's eating, and appears to be active and happy, keep him close. I hope everyone in your family does the same. You'll never have a better friend.

Hope this helps.

John
12 years old, and they don't know what's wrong with him. Our best guess is cancer, and it's the same with our dog. He still has his spunky spirit, but his body won't let him be. And thanks, John, we're loving him and taking all the memories we can.

drjohncarpenter

1015elvis wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:38 pm
12 years old, and they don't know what's wrong with him. Our best guess is cancer, and it's the same with our dog. He still has his spunky spirit, but his body won't let him be. And thanks, John, we're loving him and taking all the memories we can.

He'll feel the love. Take good care of him, I'm sure he is as wonderful a friend as you could ever hope to have.

John

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by BrianTCB »

1015elvis wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:38 pm
:( :sosorry:

I'm sorry to hear this. Pets are like family. It's never easy when they go through this.

Like Doc said, he will feel the love. Perhaps when you know the end is near, and you have time, give him more of his favorite foods that you might keep at arm's length (meat, veggies, things of that nature that they enjoy) so long as they don't cause discomfort. Give him more new toys to enjoy. Spend more time with him. And spend every last moment to the fullest with him.

:smt049 :smt049 :smt049

Topic author
1015elvis

Post by 1015elvis »

Small Update: Yogi is doing as best as he can. Still drinking, not really eating his normal food (though he'll eat everything else). Giving him all the love we can and taking as many photos as I can.

drjohncarpenter

1015elvis wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:25 pm
Small Update: Yogi is doing as best as he can. Still drinking, not really eating his normal food (though he'll eat everything else). Giving him all the love we can and taking as many photos as I can.

Don't rush anything!

Would you share a photo? Love to see your best friend.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
1015elvis

Post by 1015elvis »

Here you go, John. This was taken earlier in the year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter

What a great photo. That looks like the vet's waiting area, yeah?

Yogi is everything you say, loyal, bright, happy and loving.

Thank you for sharing.

1015elvis wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:22 am
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

BrianTCB

Post by BrianTCB »

1015elvis wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:22 am
Awwwww. He just melts your heart. I am sorry you are going through this. Things like this are never easy.

:sosorry:

Topic author
1015elvis

Post by 1015elvis »

Update: We will put him down sometime this week. Gonna take him on a joyride around the neighborhood tomorrow. It's the most ironic thing, the very first night he was with us, I couldn't be here, but I was watching a local Elvis impersonation contest. March 9th, 2012. Looked like Jerry Garcia because his previous family was horrid to him for his first year. (Similar photo taken in 2020 but he had full-blown curls)

drjohncarpenter

I can only assume things are getting worse for him. I'm very sad to read this update.

I've never met him (or you!) but there are tears right now.

It is so hard to say good-bye to someone you love. Make sure he knows you loved him, all the way until he's at peace.

1015elvis wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:34 am
Update: We will put him down sometime this week. Gonna take him on a joyride around the neighborhood tomorrow. It's the most ironic thing, the very first night he was with us, I couldn't be here, but I was watching a local Elvis impersonation contest. March 9th, 2012. Looked like Jerry Garcia because his previous family was horrid to him for his first year. (Similar photo taken in 2020 but he had full-blown curls)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
1015elvis

Post by 1015elvis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:37 am
I can only assume things are getting worse for him. I'm very sad to read this update.

It is so hard to say good-bye to someone you love. Make sure he knows you loved him, all the way until he's at peace.

1015elvis wrote:
Well, it just happened about an hour ago. Went blissfully. Gave him so many cookies and kisses. Buried him in the backyard. Had to flip him around since he fell back first. Raining right now so we'll fix it up properly in the coming days. Thanks for the support.

Topic author
1015elvis

Post by 1015elvis »

It is gonna hurt for a while, but I'm glad I got a week to say goodbye to him. One last Christmas, one last drive around the neighborhood, gets all the treats he wants now.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

It's never easy saying goodbye to a pet. We went through it with our last dog and having to put him down (after 16 years) was a very emotional experience for our entire family... specially for my two boys. I wish you the very best during this difficult time...

drjohncarpenter

I will be thinking about Yogi today. You did all you could.

Our current doggie is nearing the Rainbow Bridge, and we're taking it a day at a time. She is 14.

:(

1015elvis wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:47 am
It is gonna hurt for a while, but I'm glad I got a week to say goodbye to him. One last Christmas, one last drive around the neighborhood, gets all the treats he wants now.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Back in 2010 I wrote about our previous pup, a topic called Elvis at McKellar Lake 1960:

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:38 am
Peter1970 wrote:Image

That is the exact spot in Memphis where we found an injured stray puppy in June 1995.

We named her McKellar (after the lake), and took her home with us.

We had to say good-bye to her on April 13.

McKellar: Jan 8, 1995 to Apr 13, 2010

15 years of love, friendship and wonderful memories.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
1015elvis

Post by 1015elvis »

Thank you everyone. I can imagine him now, flying through the sky like a superhero. Secretly protecting the world against all evils. Peeing on politicians when they don't know it, or tripping up bad guys on foot.

BrianTCB

Post by BrianTCB »

1015elvis wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:48 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:37 am

1015elvis wrote:
Well, it just happened about an hour ago. Went blissfully. Gave him so many cookies and kisses. Buried him in the backyard. Had to flip him around since he fell back first. Raining right now so we'll fix it up properly in the coming days. Thanks for the support.
I am truly sorry to hear about this, 1015elvis. Our pets are always family. And it can be devastating.

My deepest condolences for your loss. May he rest in peace.

Topic author
1015elvis

Post by 1015elvis »

Made a video paired to a cover of Old Shep with different lyrics

BrianTCB

Post by BrianTCB »

1015elvis wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:39 am
:( :( :( :( :(

Topic author
1015elvis

Post by 1015elvis »

BrianTCB wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:11 pm
1015elvis wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:39 am
:( :( :( :( :(
Did it in two takes, plus a quick edit of one chorus. Didn't want the gun reference, so had to think of the lyrics on the spot. I could probably make 3 or 4 more videos

arnaudbxl
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Mood:
It’s my birthday

Post by arnaudbxl »

I only read your post now, I'm sorry I didn't earlier.

I hope you handle the grief and deal with his absence, losing an animal, a faithful and loving companion, is really hard and I'm sending you all my thoughts.

Keep him in mind and take car of yourself.