Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Re: RIP

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

She's Alive.

It was all a Mistake by media :lol:

Bond girl Tanya Roberts mistakenly reported dead by publicist after collapsing at US home

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-05/tanya-roberts-not-dead-mistakenly-reported-publicist/13031742

Key points:

A number of news outlets wrongly reported that Tanya Roberts died on Sunday

Ms Roberts, who was a Bond girl, does not have COVID-19 but is in poor condition after a fall

The actor played Midge, mother of Donna, on the sitcom That '70s Show

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

It's been confirmed , Tanya has in fact died. No details has been announced as yet, what from. Very sad about this :(

Another Angel has gone to heaven (Tanya was in the TV series 'Charlie's Angels').
R.I.P.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55528352

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

realjaclynsmith

Verified
Tanya joined #CharliesAngels for the final season, closing it out as it was initially intended with a red head, a brunette and a blonde. She brought joy to so many people and had a career spanning decades. Good bye angel, Rest In Peace 🙏

15h

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ForeverElvis »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:It's been confirmed , Tanya has in fact died. No details has been announced as yet, what from. Very sad about this :(

Another Angel has gone to heaven (Tanya was in the TV series 'Charlie's Angels').
R.I.P.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55528352
She apparently collapsed on the 24th getting out of bed and couldn’t get up. She was critically ill from a urinary tract infection that entered her organs and bloodstream, leading to a blood infection made worse due to Roberts's history of hepatitis C.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tanya-roberts-dies-after-early-inaccurate-death-report-153550010.html

Like Covid-19 patients she died alone. Heartbreaking.

Always Elvis
Anthony

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by Tang Lungs side kick »

Roberts had a drinking prob back in the day , might be why she quit 70s Show

John Richardson RIP (would be 007 , starred in Clear Day and One mill BC among other things)

Barbara Shelley RIP (Dracula PoD , Village of Damned as Sanders' wife....met her '09 , sweet woman)

Marion Ramsey RIP (this hits me hard , she starred in almost all the Police Academys as whispery Hooks)

Keep in mind average lifespan is 75 yrs

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

Tang Lungs side kick wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:17 am
Roberts had a drinking prob back in the day , might be why she quit 70s Show
She left because her husband was terminally ill. She left to take care of him. That's what has been reported.

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

Well , i did read about her drinking - that wasnt what killed her though

Same with a relative of mine : smoked from age 15 to early 70s but it was diabetes/heart attack that got him

Brandon Mckane RIP (voice of Miles Mayhem , the nemesis of MASK - Mobile Armed Strike Kommand) , like McQueen he was around asbestos on a ship as youngster

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Cloris Leachman R.I.P. She was 94.

She was in many television and motion pictures including,
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969), WUSA (1970), The Last Picture Show (1971), the latter winning the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.

TV series included Malcolm in the Middle (2001–06) and Promised Land (1998)

John Carpenter
@TheHorrorMaster
Cloris Leachman was a terrific actress, from KISS ME DEADLY to YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN. I'll miss her.
12:16 PM · Jan 28, 2021·Twitter Web App

Mel Brooks
@MelBrooks
·
4h
Such sad news—Cloris was insanely talented. She could make you laugh or cry at the drop of a hat. Always such a pleasure to have on set. Every time I hear a horse whinny I will forever think of Cloris’ unforgettable Frau Blücher. She is irreplaceable, and will be greatly missed.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Always Elvis
Anthony

iplayastrat
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by iplayastrat »

Women's Sports. RIP.

My escape from society continues...

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Hilton Valentine, guitarist with the Animals, dies aged 77

The Animals guitarist Hilton Valentine, who created one of the most famous opening riffs in 1960s pop music, has died at the age of 77.

The British band's version of blues standard The House of The Rising Sun topped the UK and US charts in 1964.

The Animals' record label ABKCO Music described Valentine as a "pioneering guitar player influencing the sound of rock and roll for decades to come".

North Shields-born Valentine died on Friday, ABKCO said on Twitter.

Valentine co-founded the Animals in Newcastle in 1963 alongside singer Eric Burdon, bassist Chas Chandler, organist Alan Price and drummer John Steel.

The group also scored six other UK top 10 hits including Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood and We Gotta Get Out of This Place.

Valentine left The Animals for a solo career after the original line-up split in 1966, but he went on take part in several reunions and toured with Burdon in 2007.

Based in Connecticut in recent years, he also released music with his band Skiffledog.

Burdon paid tribute to Valentine on Instagram, writing: "The opening opus of Rising Sun will never sound the same!... You didn't just play it, you lived it! Heartbroken by the sudden news of Hilton's passing.

"We had great times together, Geordie lad. From the North Shields to the entire world...Rock In Peace."

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55875914

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Sad to read that legendary actor and writer Hal Holbrook has died at age 95. R.I.P.

Very good write-up here on IMDB on his long and varied career of television and film work since 1955.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001358/

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Former world heavyweight champion Leon Spinks has died aged 67.

The American achieved a famous upset win over Muhammad Ali in 1978, in just his eighth professional fight.

He had suffered with health issues in his later years and was diagnosed with advanced stage prostate cancer in 2019.

"His final fight was fought with the same skill, grace and grit that had carried him through so many lifetime challenges," said a statement from his management company.

The former US marine died on Friday evening in Henderson, Nevada, with his wife Brenda Glur Spinks by his side.

"Leon fought his battle with numerous illnesses resiliently, never losing his trademark smile. Showing true Spinks determination, he never threw in the towel," the statement added.

Born in St Louis, Spinks won gold at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal, then rose to greater prominence a little more than 18 months later, given the nod via a split decision to stun Ali and claim the WBC, WBA and lineal heavyweight titles.

In one of the biggest upsets in the history of the sport, Spinks defied his 10-1 underdog odds with bookmakers to prevail after 15 rounds, winning 145-140 and 144-141 on two scorecards while a third went 143-142 in favour of Ali.

His reign as world champion lasted exactly seven months as a sharper and fitter Ali gained revenge in a rematch in September 1978, becoming the first three-time lineal heavyweight champion after a comfortable points win.

Spinks did get another opportunity for heavyweight glory in June 1981, but was stopped inside three rounds by Larry Holmes.

Spinks then dropped down to cruiserweight but was defeated by WBA champion Dwight Muhammad Qawi in 1986. He boxed on for another nine years and finished with a record of 26 wins, 17 defeats and three draws.

Known for his gap-toothed grin, Spinks' battles in the ring contributed to his ill health in later life. It was found he had shrinkage in the brain in 2012 before his cancer diagnosis was confirmed a few years later.

His son Cory, 42, is a former undisputed welterweight champion who also won a world title in the light-middleweight division.

Spinks' younger brother Michael, 64, was undisputed light-heavyweight champion for a period in the 1980s, before moving up to heavyweight, where he won the IBF title and avenged Leon's loss to Holmes.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/55961786

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

really sad news today with the death of well known Australian promoter and Mushroom records chief, Michael Gudinski. He was 68. The Boss, led the tributes with this tweet.

Bruce Springsteen
@springsteen

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Australian music legend Michael Gudinski has died, aged 68. He passed away peacefully in his sleep at home in Melbourne on Monday night.

The co-founder of Mushroom Records and the chairman of the sprawling Mushroom Group of Companies that it spawned, Gudinski got his start in the music business as a dancehall promoter in his teens. Legend has it that in 1967, aged just 15, he was making $500 a week booking bands including The Aztecs and Chain. With cash flow like that, it was little wonder he dropped out of high school in his final year to go into the business full time.

After founding Mushroom Records with Ray Evans in 1972, Gudinski, the son of Russian-Jewish immigrants, rose to become one of the most significant and powerful players in the local music scene.

He was a label boss, live music promoter, promoter of electronic dance music, music publisher, film and television producer, racehorse owner – winning, as part of a syndicate, two Melbourne Cups, with Almandin in 2016 and Rekindling in 2017 – and passionate supporter of the St Kilda Football Club.

Above all, though, he was a high-profile advocate for Australian music. Gudinski worked tirelessly during the pandemic to make the case for support of the live music industry. He partnered with the Victorian state government on a number of initiatives designed to create opportunities for musicians to play live, either virtually or in person, in the face of the shutdowns that devastated the sector in 2020.

On Anzac Day 2020, the Mushroom-curated Music From the Home Front screened nationally on Nine (owner of this masthead). Featuring performances from more than 50 Australian and New Zealand artists, it reached more than 2 million viewers across two screenings. A spin-off album topped the ARIA charts, with all proceeds going to music industry charity Support Act.

In partnership with the government, Mushroom created the streamed performance and chat format The State of Music, and in July the Mushroom-curated TV series The Sound debuted on the ABC. In January 2021, Mushroom and the Victorian government once again joined forces to take live music back to the regions in the Sounds Better Together concert series.

Musician Jimmy Barnes greeted the news of Gudinski’s passing with shock and sadness.

“Today the heart of Australian music was ripped out,” said Barnes. “Michael Gudinski was not only that heart but he was my friend. He stood with me through my darkest moments and my most joyous days.

“But I wasn’t the only one who felt like Michael was there for me. He was there for everyone that needed him. The music business turned, grew and moved forward in Australia because of Michael. He was a force of nature, a giant of a man. His boundless enthusiasm breathed life into our music scene.”

A number of high-profile Australians, including Russell Crowe and Marcia Hines, paid tribute on social media.

“RIP Michael Gudinski. Seems almost impossible,” wrote Crowe. “A towering figure on the Australian cultural landscape. I’m not sure we ever agreed on anything, except maybe Ed Sheeran. Still didn’t stop us from being mates for 30 years. I’m going to miss him deeply. My love to his family.”

Hines said she was in a state of shock.

“He was a true pioneer in the music industry and a man who believed in the development of artists like myself and many others,” she said. “His friendship knew no bounds. He was a genuine original, and not replaceable.”

Gudinski is survived by his wife Sue, son Matt and partner Cara, daughter Kate and husband Andrew and their children Nina-Rose and Lulu.

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/music/australian-music-industry-icon-michael-gudinski-dies-aged-68-20210302-p5770i.html

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Attention Canadians out there;

Walter Gretzky, Canada's greatest hockey dad, dead at 82

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/walter-gretzky-obituary-1.5937764

Old-age and Parkinson’s.

He did so much charitable work after Wayne made it to the NHL. A great Canadian. Fully deserving of the “Order of Canada” he received.

Always Elvis
Anthony

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

Nikki van der Syl (dubbed several 007 girls , met her in Lon about ten yrs ago)

Remy Julienne (car stunts in 007)

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

R.I.P George Segal (February 13, 1934 – March 23, 2021)

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/23/entertainment/george-segal-dead-obituary-trnd/index.html

(CNN)George Segal, the prolific actor with a career that spanned more than six decades, has died at age 87, his wife said Tuesday.
"The family is devastated to announce that this morning George Segal passed away due to complications from bypass surgery," Sonia Segal said in a statement provided by Sony Television.
Segal was a native of Long Island, New York and his acting credits range from "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" in 1966, for which he received an Oscar nomination and "A Touch of Class" in 1973.

By the 1970s, he often played wry leading men in films such as "The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox," and "Fun with Dick and Jane." In the 90s, Segal was becoming better known for television roles, including as the slightly daft fashion magazine owner Jack Gallo in "Just Shoot Me!"

In 2013, producer Adam F. Goldberg cast Segal as the Jewish family patriarch Albert "Pops" Solomon in his semi-autobiographical series, "The Goldbergs."
"By pure fate, I ended up casting the perfect person to play Pops," Goldberg said on Twitter on Tuesday. "Just like my grandfather, George was a kid at heart with a magical spark."

His agent, Abe Hoch described Segal as his close friend and client.

"I will miss his warmth, humor, camaraderie and friendship. He was a wonderful human," he said in a statement provided by Sony.

By Andy Rose, CNN
CNN's Seán Federico O'Murchú contributed to this report.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/23/entertainment/george-segal-dead-obituary-trnd/index.html

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

especially loved the film "No Way To Treat a Lady" and this scene with George and Michael Dunn.

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

Dead Barbra co stars : Segal , Richardson , Sharif , Serrazin

He was charming in Owl and pussycat , also in sitcom Just shoot me in the 90s

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Very saddened to read Jessica Walter has passed away. R.I. P :(

The award-winning US actress Jessica Walter has died aged 80, her family says.

"It is with a heavy heart that I confirm the passing of my beloved mom," Walter's daughter Brooke Bowman said.

"A working actor for over six decades, her greatest pleasure was bringing joy to others through her storytelling both on screen and off," Ms Bowman said.

Walter is best known for playing icy matriarch Lucille Bluth in the Arrested Development TV sitcom in the 2000s.

She also won an Emmy for starring as a detective in the police drama Amy Prentiss in the 1970s.

"While her legacy will live on through her body of work, she will also be remembered by many for her wit, class and overall joie de vivre," Ms Bowman said.

The Deadline website, which first reported the news, quoted the family as saying that Walter had died in her sleep at her home in New York.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56527688

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Who can forget Evelyn (Jessica) really letting David (Clint Eastwood) have it with both barrels in the 50 year old movie "Play Misty for Me" -

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

Underrated movie , RIP

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Very sad to read in the Tennis world, Tony Trabert, has died aged 90, in February.
I don't recall it ever being mentioned here in the press before. :? R.I. P :cry:

Tony was popular american tennis champion, ex-Davis cup captain, commentator, author.
He was longtime regular on CBS U.S. Open coverage and usually handled the M.C. both men and ladies finals.
Here's a video i put up some years ago following Manuel Orantes surprise thrashing of Jimmy Connors at Forest Hills New York the 1975 final.

ForeverElvis

RIP

Post by ForeverElvis »

Prince Philip: Tributes after Duke of Edinburgh dies aged 99

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56697570

Political leaders, members of the public and well-wishers around the world have paid tribute to Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, after his death at the age of 99.

A statement issued by Buckingham Palace just after midday spoke of the Queen's "deep sorrow" following his death at Windsor Castle on Friday morning.
The PM said the Duke of Edinburgh inspired "countless young people".
He was the longest-serving royal consort in British history.
Announcing the duke's death, the Palace said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband. "The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss." It is understood that the Prince of Wales travelled to Windsor Castle to visit his mother on Friday afternoon.

Speaking at Downing Street, prime minister Boris Johnson added that the duke had "earned the affection of generations here in the United Kingdom, across the Commonwealth, and around the world". Meanwhile, Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, said he "consistently put the interests of others ahead of his own and, in so doing, provided an outstanding example of Christian service".

In tribute to the duke, Westminster Abbey tolled its tenor bell once every 60 seconds for 99 times from 18:00 BST - to honour each year of his life. Earlier, the flag at Buckingham Palace was lowered to half-mast and a notice was posted on the gates to mark the duke's death. People placed floral tributes outside the central London landmark, while hundreds visited Windsor Castle to pay their respects.

However, the government urged the public not to gather or leave tributes at royal residences amid the coronavirus pandemic. The Royal Family has asked people to consider making a donation to a charity instead of leaving flowers in memory of the duke, and an online book of condolence has been launched on the official royal website for those who wish to send messages.

A message on the website of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's non-profit organisation Archewell paid tribute to the "loving memory" of the Duke of Edinburgh, saying: "Thank you for your service... you will be greatly missed."

From midday on Saturday, a 41-gun salute will take place for Prince Philip in cities including London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast, as well as in Gibraltar and at sea from Royal Navy warships, the Ministry of Defence said. They will be broadcast online and on television for the public to watch from home.
All UK government buildings have been told to fly official flags at half-mast in tribute to the duke until 08:00 BST on the day after the duke's funeral.

Prince Philip's funeral will take place at St George's Chapel, Windsor - but the arrangements have been amended in light of the coronavirus pandemic, the College of Arms said in a statement. The duke will not have a state funeral and there will be no lying-in-state, in line with his wishes, it added.
The college said the duke will, however, lie at rest in Windsor Castle before a royal ceremonial funeral, which means his death will be marked in the same way as the Queen Mother. The public are "regretfully" requested not to attend due to the pandemic, and it is understood the Queen is considering modified funeral and ceremonial arrangements.

Politicians across the UK were united in mourning following the announcement of the duke's death.
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said the UK had "lost an extraordinary public servant", while Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said his "long contribution to public life in Scotland will leave a profound mark on its people". Wales' First Minister Mark Drakeford said the duke "served the crown with selfless devotion and generosity of spirit", and Northern Ireland's First Minister Arlene Foster said he was "widely respected for his active and dedicated service to the country".
Parliament will honour the duke on Monday, with the House of Commons sitting at 14:30 BST for tributes following his death.

Parties have also suspended their campaigning for elections on 6 May, which will see voters head to the polls for council and mayoral positions in England, the Scottish Parliament and Welsh Parliament.

Meanwhile, Commonwealth leaders led international reaction to the duke's death.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison tweeted that the duke "embodied a generation that we will never see again", while Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau described Philip as a "man of great purpose and conviction". And Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi recalled the duke for his "distinguished career in the military" and work "at the forefront of many community service initiatives".

US President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden joined other world leaders in sending their "deepest condolences" to the Queen, the Royal Family and the people of the UK. In a statement, they said the duke "gladly dedicated himself to the people of the UK, the Commonwealth, and to his family".
"His legacy will live on, not only through his family, but in all the charitable endeavours he shipped," it said.

Prince Philip and the Queen had four children, eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren. Their first son, the Prince of Wales, Prince Charles, was born in 1948, followed by his sister, the Princess Royal, Princess Anne, in 1950, the Duke of York, Prince Andrew, in 1960 and the Earl of Wessex, Prince Edward, in 1964.

Prince Philip was born on the Greek island of Corfu on 10 June 1921.
His father was Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark, a younger son of King George I of the Hellenes. His mother, Princess Alice, was a daughter of Prince Louis of Battenberg and a great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria.

Always Elvis
Anthony