RIP

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

ForeverElvis
Registered for: 21 years

Re: RIP

Post by ForeverElvis »

Ronnie Spector, lead singer of The Ronettes, dead at 78

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/12/entertainment/ronnie-spector-death-the-ronettes/index.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always Elvis
Anthony

iplayastrat
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by iplayastrat »

RONNIE SPECTOR RIP

I would have loved to see her in her prime.
I was just too young.

My escape from society continues...

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Dallas Frazier, Country Songwriter of ‘Elvira’ and ‘Beneath Still Waters,’ Dead at 82 -

Dallas Frazier, the country songwriter behind enduring hits like “Elvira” and “Beneath Still Waters,” died Jan. 14, his family announced on Facebook. He was 82.

Born Oct. 27, 1939, in Spiro, Oklahoma, Frazier, like many other Oklahomans of his generation, was raised in California after his family relocated to Bakersfield. Frazier’s musical career began before he was even a teenager when Ferlin Husky offered him a job at the age of 12. He had also begun performing on Cliffie Stone’s radio and television program Hometown Jamboree and, as a 14-year-old in 1954, he cut his first single, the whimsical outer-space romp “Space Command,” for Capitol Records.

In 1957, Frazier released “Alley Oop,” a novelty song about a charismatic caveman that would become a chart-topping one-hit-wonder for the Hollywood Argyles in 1960. After he relocated to Nashville, he began to find his rhythm as a songwriter. Husky had a hit with Frazier’s “Timber I’m Falling” in 1964, Charlie Rich cut his “Mohair Sam” — another swaggering “Alley Oop”-type tune — in 1966, and Jack Greene topped the charts with “There Goes My Everything” that same year, earning Frazier a Grammy nomination.

Frazier released his debut album Elvira in 1966, the title track of which would become his best-known song. While Frazier’s version didn’t move the needle all the much (nor did Rodney Crowell’s 1978 cover), the Oak Ridge Boys turned “Elvira” into a massive crossover hit. Driven by its indelible “giddy up oom-papa-mow-mow” refrain from the group’s deep-voiced Richard Sterban, the song was a 1981 smash, topping the country chart and breaking into the Top 5 on the Billboard Hot 100.

“We lost a dear friend today. Dallas Frazier had an influence on our country music career from the beginning,” the Oaks wrote on Facebook. “He wrote ‘The Baptism of Jesse’ but his influence in the 1980s was even greater when we recorded his song ‘Elvira.’”

Frazier continued to pile up the songwriting credits. George Jones and Connie Smith recorded entire albums of Frazier’s work, while country stars Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, and Moe Bandy also took a turn with his songs. Frazier earned a Grammy Award for Best Country Song in 1970 for “All I Have to Offer You (Is Me),” which Charley Pride took to Number One. Emmylou Harris earned her fourth Number One in 1980 with Frazier’s devastating ballad “Beneath Still Waters,” which he originally wrote in 1967.

In 1976, Frazier was inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. Before the end of the Eighties, he largely left the music industry to devote his life to Christian ministry.

“Dallas Frazier is among the greatest country songwriters of all time,” said Kyle Young, CEO, Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in a statement. “He could convey infectious fun with ‘Elvira,’ and then write something as stunningly sad and true as ‘Beneath Still Waters. He was a man of kindness, generosity, and faith, who overcame a hardscrabble upbringing to offer smiling gifts to all of us.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/dallas-frazier-songwriter-elvira-dead-obit-1285401/

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

NEW YORK -- Yvette Mimieux, the blond and blue-eyed 1960s film star of “Where the Boys Are,” "The Time Machine" and “Light in the Piazza,” has died. She was 80.

Michelle Bega, a family spokeswoman, said Mimieux died in her sleep of natural causes overnight Monday evening at her home in Los Angeles.

In 1960's “The Time Machine,” based on H.G. Wells' 1895 novel, Mimieux starred opposite Rod Taylor as Weena, a member of the peaceful, blond-haired Eloi people in the year 800,000, who don't realize they're being bred as food by the underground Morlocks.

That role and others that soon followed made Mimieux one of the ‘60s most radiant starlets. The same year, she also starred in the MGM teen movie “Where the Boys Are" as one of four college students on spring break in Florida. Her character, distraught after being sexual assaulted in a motel, walks despondently into traffic.

“I suppose I had a soulful quality,” she told the Washington Post in 1979. “I was often cast as a wounded person, the ‘sensitive’ role.”

Yvette Carmen Mimieux was born on Jan. 8, 1942, in Los Angeles to a French father and a Mexican mother. She was “discovered” at age 15 when publicist Jim Byron, as he told it, spotted her on bridle path from a helicopter while flying over the Hollywood Hills. She and a friend were riding on horseback; Byron landed in front of them and gave her his card. Mimieux began as a model before MGM signed her in 1959.

“The subtle approach is the thing,” Byron told The AP in 1961. “I think we've got another Garbo on our hands.”

And for a few years, Mimieux was ubiquitous. Life magazine put her on the cover with the headline: “Warmly Wistful Starlet.” She made eight films before turning 21.

Mimieux starred in four films in 1962, including Vincent Minnelli's “The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" and Guy Green's “Light in the Piazza.” In the latter, she played the beautiful, mentally handicapped daughter of Olivia de Havilland. On a trip to Italy, Mimieux's character Clara is pursued by a young Italian in Florence, played by George Hamilton.

Mimieux played a bride in “Toys in the Attic” (1963), an epileptic surfer in “Dr. Kildare” (1964) and a bride in “Joy in the Morning" (1965). She was three times nominated for a Golden Globe, including for her role in the short-lived ABC series “The Most Deadly Game," from Aaron Spelling. In the ‘70s and ’80s, she increasingly appeared in TV movies, some of which she helped write.

Mimieux co-wrote and co-produced the 1984 CBS TV movie “Obsessive Love,” about a deranged fan obsessed with a soap opera star. Mimieux said she had to battle the network over having a woman, played by herself, in such a role. Her idea stemmed from John Hinckley's obsession with Jodie Foster, only with the gender roles reversed.

“The network felt people wouldn’t believe me as this woman. They said to me, ‘She’s a loner, and she shouldn’t be attractive,'” Mimieux told The New York Times in 1984. "I asked them, ‘Are you saying that only unattractive people can be crazy or lonely or have unfulfilled lives?’″

Mimieux said television was never the “love affair” she had with film. But she complained about the kinds of roles she was offered, and the one-dimensional type of women that were written. (One of her last notable movies was the 1979 Disney film “The Black Hole.”) So Mimieux retired from show business in her late 40s. Her interests — including archeology, painting and traveling — always went beyond fame. Off-screen, Mimieux was much more than the naïve starlet she was pigeonholed as.

“I decided I didn’t want to have a totally public life,” she told the Post. “When the fan magazines started wanting to take pictures of me making sandwiches for my husband, I said no.

“You know, there are tribes in Africa who believe that a camera steals a little part of your soul, and in a way I think that’s true about living your private life in public. It takes something away from your relationships, it cheapens them.”

Mimieux first married Evan Harland Engber in 1959 before later divorcing. She was married to the film director Stanley Donen, from 1972 to 1985. In 1986, she married the real estate mogul Howard F. Ruby. She's survived by Ruby and numerous stepchildren.
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/yvette-mimieux-60s-starlet-time-machine-dies-80-82356788

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Meat Loaf, 'Bat Out Of Hell' singer, has died at 74

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/21/entertainment/meat-loaf-obit/index.html

One of the great Rock singers/performers ever. I saw him live in 1993, an excellent show. Wish I had seen him in 1977-79 when “Bat Out Of Hell” was released but 14 was too young my parents said. Being Catholic they were sure nothing good could come from an album called, “Bat Out Of Hell”!

Always Elvis
Anthony

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

R.I.P Glenn Wheatley.

Australian music legend and manager. Dead at 74 from complications of Covid.

He was once in the psychedelic band, the Masters Apprentices, but am not sure if they broke into the U.K. or U.S. markets back in the late 1960's or early 1970's, when the band were active.
Masters Apprentices.jpg
Here's a couple of their famous records:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by Tang Lungs side kick »

Bob Wall

Monica Vitti

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

40 yr ago : Victor Buono went to the great Batcave in the sky

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

R Dean Taylor has died on January 7 2022. 1960's singer, songwriter and musician. He made it big on the UK charts with "Gotta See Jane", "Ghost in my House" and "Indiana Wants Me" songs. He was aged 82.

Here's two distinctive versions of "Jane" first released in 1968. It was at the height of Psychedelia.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Read that Hargus Melvin Robbins has passed away (January 18, 1938 – January 30, 2022). He was an American session keyboard player. Having played on records for so many different artists, including Bob Dylan, Dolly Parton, Roger Miller, Connie Smith, Patti Page, Loretta Lynn, Kenny Rogers, George Jones, Charlie Rich, , Neil Young, J.J. Cale, John Hartford, Mark Knopfler, Ween, Alan Jackson, Merle Haggard, George Hamilton IV and Conway Twitty, he played on Roger Miller's Grammy Award-winning "Dang Me" in 1964 .

He was blind, having lost his sight at age four due to an accident involving his father's knife.

His playing was notable on the Bob Dylan song, "Rainy Day Women #13 & 35" -

good article / interview here where he talked about recording the song:

https://www.tvstoreonline.com/blogs/tv-movie-news-updates/interview-hargus-pig-robbins-bob-dylan-blonde-on-blonde

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Procol Harum singer Gary Brooker dies at 76 -

Gary Brooker, the frontman of 1960s rock band Procol Harum, has died at the age of 76, his record label has confirmed.

The London-born singer led the band throughout their 55-year history, co-writing and singing their most famous song, 1967's A Whiter Shade of Pale.

He was appointed an OBE in 2003, and A Whiter Shade of Pale was honoured by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018.

Brooker died at his home from cancer on Saturday, the band said in a statement.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-60485697

iplayastrat
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by iplayastrat »

RIP

To a local Elvis Fan named Danny.

He was generous enough to give me
his film of Elvis in Mobile Alabama from

Not sure when he passed, but I just found
out today.

My escape from society continues...

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

R.I.P Sally Kellerman. Best known for her role as U.S. Army Maj. Margaret “Hot Lips” Houlihanin in M*A*S*H, original film (1970). She was 84.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/sally-kellerman-dead-mash-1235189810/

Wayfarer
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Wayfarer »

Shane Warne.

I think Walter can provide some firing text about the great cricketer, but for now, I am in too much shock to say much more.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

R.I.P. William Hurt.
It's been reported he died from natural causes at age 71.
Loved his roles in the 1980's “Broadcast News” , “Children of a Lesser God” and particularly, "Body Heat".

UPDATE

Tributes for William Hurt:

https://www.newsweek.com/william-hurt-tributes-pour-after-actor-dies-age-71-1687566

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

Razor Ramon prolly "razor edged" St Peter up there now......RIP Scott Hall

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

I’m aware that this thread is for people that are of some fame and notoriety but I wanted to post a small mention of someone that was of some note to me, my Mother.

My Mom, Eileen, was born in 1929 and would have been 93 back on March 23rd. Today, March 25th my Mom died in 1994 two days after her 65th birthday. 28 years ago.

She was special to me, loved her family, loved her faith. She was gone before I married never meeting my wife, before my children were born.
She missed and we’ve missed so much.

I think of her daily, but particularly today.

GOD Bless you Mom.

Always Elvis
Anthony

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

The death of Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters) at only 50 years old this week... this sad story sounds all too familiar...

https://nypost.com/2022/03/27/taylor-hawkins-heart-weighed-double-that-of-an-average-man-report/

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

ForeverElvis wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:39 pm
I’m aware that this thread is for people that are of some fame and notoriety but I wanted to post a small mention of someone that was of some note to me, my Mother.

My Mom, Eileen, was born in 1929 and would have been 93 back on March 23rd. Today, March 25th my Mom died in 1994 two days after her 65th birthday. 28 years ago.

She was special to me, loved her family, loved her faith. She was gone before I married never meeting my wife, before my children were born.
She missed and we’ve missed so much.

I think of her daily, but particularly today.

GOD Bless you Mom.
Very sad to hear this

eligain
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by eligain »

elvis-fan wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:30 pm
The death of Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters) at only 50 years old this week... this sad story sounds all too familiar...

https://nypost.com/2022/03/27/taylor-hawkins-heart-weighed-double-that-of-an-average-man-report/
This is very sad. He was a very talented drummer that was fun to watch. He was also a good singer and seemed like a great guy. I became aware of him when he was Alanis Morisette's drummer and have been following him ever since. Yes it IS too familiar to us Elvis fans!

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

Wang Yu , prolly biggest star in HK 1967-71 , was 80

RIP one armed swordsman

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by rickeap »

Taylor Hawkins was a great drummer and a great entertainer. Behind Dave (and maybe Pat Smear) he was the face of the band.

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by rickeap »

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

2 Seinfeld deaths in a row : Estelle Harris & Liz Sheridan (ma Costanza & ma Seinfeld)