Off Topic Messages

Fraud using e-Bay

Sun May 18, 2003 1:55 am

I'd like to warn everyone about a fraud done under e-Bay's name. I received the e-mail below two times and after verification I can confirm this is a SCAM.

There's NO reasons for giving your credit card number to e-Bay so be careful if you receive an e-mail like the one below :

To: Ebay Member
Subject: Urgent Information about your Ebay.com Account
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 01:51:29 -0500

Recently we attempted to authorize payment from your credit card we have on file for you, but it was declined.

For security purposes, our system automatically removes credit card information from an account when there is a problem or the card expires.

Please resubmit the credit card, and provide us with new and complete information. To resubmit credit card information via our secure server, click the following link:

I removed the link given here

This is the quickest and easiest method of getting credit card information to us. Using the secure server will ensure that the credit card will be placed on account within 24 hours.

Copyright 1995-2003 eBay Inc.

All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective

FECC Team
Last edited by administrator on Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 18, 2003 2:47 am

Thank you Admin.

I have never sold on ebay but I have bought alot in the past 4 years. I support the opportunity ebay provides to build up one's collection with so much cool stuff offered - and even to reference as a huge online excyclopedia of Elvis memorabilia - even if you don't bid you can study the 1000s of items.

Any and all scamming should be recognized and stopped before it ruins what I consider a great means to wax nostalgic with regaining stuff you once had a kid or never owned but now you can.

Sun May 18, 2003 2:49 am

Thanks FECC
For That Info.

What Would Be The Best Way To Send Money To ebay
Money order Whould Be the Best way.

Curtis simpkins

Sun May 18, 2003 3:32 am

anyone who buys on Ebay deserves what they get if you ask me!

Sun May 18, 2003 3:48 am

It has nothing to do with e-bay. When you make payment you pay the person who auctioned something when you win.

These persons are trying to make believe that * e-Bay * needs your credit card but they don't.

This type of scam ( fraud ) can happen with other services as well.

FECC Team

Sun May 18, 2003 4:13 am

Well I just meant ebay in general. every day there is an example posted from someone that shows a crook trying to sell fake Elvis stuff.

Sun May 18, 2003 4:16 am

Kylan wrote:anyone who buys on Ebay deserves what they get if you ask me!

Nobody asked YOU !

Sun May 18, 2003 5:49 am

I received a fake email like that from "Paypal" a while back, but I recognized that it was a fake due to the Ebay one I kept getting.

Concerning Ebay, everyone has their own opinion, but I have had approximately 175 out of 179 positive experiences. I've had more problems with online merchandisers than I have had with Ebay sellers.

Lisa :D

Sun May 18, 2003 5:53 am

I have never by anything from ebay
so what to look for in thing from ebay.

and what be the best way to send money to
ebay

can any one tell me

thanks

curtis simpkins

Sun May 18, 2003 7:19 am

Maybe, Curtis, if you learn to articulate better, we could answer your questions. I have no idea what you just said.

I have also received the same type of e-mail claiming to be from Ebay.
I reported it immediately to Ebay. That was about two months ago.
Needless to say, Ebay never responded or thanked me for doing so.
I guess when you are as big as Ebay is, you don't have to give a crap about anyone.

jeff R

Mon May 19, 2003 10:54 am

Thanks FECC for the post and your consideration to those who frequent this MB.

I recently purchased "Sun Sessions CD" off of ebay.
Paid via PAYPAL and received the CD in 5 business days.
That's actually the first and only thing I bought off ebay.

The way I look at it is you never know for sure... I'll bid on something only if I'm willing to part
with that amount of money and not go broke if I get burned.

Ya takes yer chances!!!

Mon May 19, 2003 4:24 pm

Simplekins,
On behalf of all of us who do use eBay: Thanks!!!!!!

Tom

Tue May 20, 2003 1:41 am

Kylan wrote:Well I just meant ebay in general. every day there is an example posted from someone that shows a crook trying to sell fake Elvis stuff.

In general, I think it is just the oposite. For every fake there's at least 1000 true items on eBay.

Tue May 20, 2003 2:17 am

vinylman wrote:In general, I think it is just the oposite. For every fake there's at least 1000 true items on eBay.

That isn't true for autographs; that includes all autographs, especially Elvis'.

There are dozens and dozens of fakes for every single legit one that surfaces. Unknowing bidders are buying the fakes all the time, often for a couple or a few hundred dollars.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

E-bay is based upon "trust" - it would cease to exist without it. There is, however, lots of deception and fraud associated with it (as the FECC post mentions).

"Caveat Emptor", common sense, and most of all ........ knowledge in what you choose to collect .......... all go a long way in protecting you.

Sharks can be anywhere, not just e-bay. E-bay just has the most bait.

N8
...just a fan....

Tue May 20, 2003 5:08 am

Well I Never Bought Anything On Ebay

What To Look For And So On

And If I Found A CD Or LP What's They Best Way To
Send Them "Money Order" "Check". or Somthing like That.

Curtis Simpkins

Tue May 20, 2003 4:13 pm

simplekins,
It is not necessary to repeat your posts, especially when they don't make any sense in the first place.

Tom

Tue May 20, 2003 9:20 pm

Tom i wish you quite miss spelling my last name please

i do not miss spell youres

way you do this if you dont like me dont reply to my posting.

thanks

i have tryed to get along you with,
way you always on all the time.

this is getting old.

curtis simpkins

Tue May 20, 2003 9:35 pm

Tom, Does that show still come TV (The Simplekins)? Or is that the Simpsons? I get them confused :cry:

Tue May 20, 2003 9:39 pm

Simplekins,
I'll stop purposefully and deceitfully misspelling when you do. You are controlling this, not me.

Tom

Wed May 21, 2003 6:55 am

I'd like to know who Miss Spell is. Is she Curtis' girlfriend?

jeff R

Wed May 21, 2003 4:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom

Thu May 22, 2003 6:19 am

Wasn't she the person identified as the "heckler" during the 4-1-75 Las Vegas Dinner Show?

Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:09 am

Kylan wrote:anyone who buys on Ebay deserves what they get if you ask me!

hi i maybe a n00b here, but i do resent that comment. i have bought 2 computers through ebay, a cd burner and other things and have never ever been ripped off. i look at it like this. if the person who is getting ripped off then, they should be contacting their law enforcement agency. ebay tell you this,themselves..
the best way to do business on ebay is via c.o.d no goods arrive then its no loss to you now is it.......

Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:08 pm

Aussie,
Don't mind Kylan. He's just been in a bad mood for the last 20 years or so. I'm sure it will pass. I too have had close to a hundred successful transactions on eBay and have never been ripped off. Remember the #1 rule on this board:

If you don't know...criticize.

Tom

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:37 pm

you do the same tom

dont ...criticize someone if you dont know the persion.