Off Topic Messages

No Elvis on Morrissey CD

Sun May 18, 2003 12:35 am

A CD titled “Morrissey – Under The Influence” is due for release later this month. The disc features 15 tracks that were musical influences on the former Smiths front man, but surprisingly as we all know Morrissey is an Elvis fan, there are no Elvis tracks on the CD. I’m wondering whether Morrissey might have wanted to include an Elvis track, but was refused permission to use it by the powers that be. This would make sense, as you very rarely see Elvis tracks on various artist type compilation albums.

Sun May 18, 2003 6:23 am

That wouldn't be surprising,if indeed he had been refused.

There was a tv programe here in the UK,where every week a celebrity would choose their all time top ten,and Elvis was NEVER in anybody's top ten,I really thought Elvis wasn't highly thought of amongst Celeb's.but then it was revealed that they were told absolutely no Elvis,and no Beatles could be chosen for their top tens.

It all must boil down to money.although,Frank Skinner wanted to show a clip of Joe Espositoe's home movies on his show,EPE rufused saying "we don't want Elvis over exposed" what a laugh!

Mon May 19, 2003 9:47 pm

I would`nt worry about it guys, because it would`nt suprise me in the least if the old moaner thought it would be to corny to include an Elvis tack, given Elvis` high profile of late. It would be to obvious, though we might see a bit of Billy Fury !

Mon May 19, 2003 9:56 pm

There are no Billy Fury tracks on the compilation either. Here’s the track-listing:

1. Lesa Cormier & The Sundown Playboys 'Saturday Night Special'
2. The New York Dolls 'Trash'
3. Nat Couty 'Woodpecker Rock'
4. Diana Dors 'So Little Time'
5. Ludus 'Breaking The Rules'
6. Charlie Feathers 'One Hand Loose'
7. Tyrannosaurus Rex 'Great Horse'
8. Jimmy Radcliff '(There Goes) The Forgotten Man'
9. Jaybee Wasden 'De Castrow'
10. Ramones 'Judy Is A Punk'
11. Sparks 'Arts & Crafts Spectacular'
12. The Cats 'Swan Lake'
13. Nico 'All That Is My Own'
14. Patti Smith 'Hey Joe'
15. Klaus Nomi 'Death'

Stephen Mozzer

Tue May 20, 2003 2:06 pm

mmmmmm...not quite sure what to make of that line up of songs. Infact i`m suprised he`s even putting out a covers album at this time, after his last album, he sure needs a strong original offering. Is his writing partner still that guitar player of his ?

Wed May 21, 2003 12:47 am

They aren’t cover versions. The album is titled “Morrissey - Under The Influence”, and it’s a collection of tracks chosen by Morrissey that influenced his own career.
I heard an interview Morrissey gave to Janice Long on BBC Radio 6, earlier this year, and at that time, whilst he was playing new material during the session he didn’t have record deal.

Wed May 21, 2003 1:02 pm

Ahhhh now i get yer, i thought you meant this was a new Mozzer album ! I bet a lot of the stuff he really did want on this album, he was denied access too.

The last interview i read, he said he was in no rush to put pen to paper for another record contract, though he had offers from some California indie labels.

Whatever he does, its about time he got his arse back in gear. The UK scene is crying out for some class guitar stuff at the moment. And he must need to top up his coffers, after "The Smiths" court case a few years, left him seriously out of pocket.

Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:13 pm

Jus to let you guys know there is a documentary on channel 4 tomorrow night (Sunday) called " The Importance Of Being Morrissey".

Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:12 pm

Thanks Errol,

I’m looking forward to seeing this. He doesn’t give too many interviews these days, so it will be interesting to hear what he has to say. It would be nice to hear something new from him as well.