Off Topic Messages

Red West - Goodbye Solo

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:38 am

I finally got around to watching this film. Has anyone else seen it?

I thought it was a great film with an incredible and powerful performance from Red West. It was in indie / art house film so one of those where there is little dialogue and lots of long pauses. Red actually had very small amounts of dialogue and yet he conveyed so much without speaking. The mark of a great great actor in my opinion.

I find it sad but also a little touching that Red became the actor that Elvis would have liked to have been. Respected and a true master of his craft.

Re: Red West - Goodbye Solo

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:15 pm

No, I haven't seen it yet.

Here are some reviews...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1095442/rev ... _=tt_ov_rt

GOODBYE SOLO - Official US Theatrical Trailer

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:44 pm

Hard to believe this was made ten years ago. Time flies.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Goodbye Solo is quite a wonderful film, indeed. With the story and central characters, played beautifully by Red West and Souleymane Sye Savane, richly realised in every respect. Ramin Bahrani`s direction is gentle and patient, allowing the relationship between West and Savane`s characters to develop naturally in a film that's certainly humanist, with shades of John Ford at its core, by way of Abbas Kiarostami`s 1997 film, Taste of Cherry. It's a film I like very much.

Red West, I will add, developed into a good actor over the years. He didn't have a great deal of range, but he was able to convey a sense of genuine humanity in his roles, and never more so than in Goodbye Solo. He could also play tough guys and rugged characters with relative ease, whilst the trust he and Elvis had was beneficial to some of their fight scenes in Elvis`s films. But the depth of emotion he displayed in Goodbye Solo very much rings true, whilst the avuncular presence he had in a film like Safe Haven, was grounded and earned through age and experience.

I will also say that many of Ramin Bahrani`s films are worth seeing; he's a splendid writer and director, whose interest in the human condition and understanding of human nature is evident in films such as Chop Shop, Man Push Cart, and 99 Homes. Whilst his unique perspective on society is something that is the hallmark of a writer and director who is able to look closely at people, places, and situations in revealing ways.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:55 pm

timothy_sideburns on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:38 am wrote:I finally got around to watching this film. Has anyone else seen it?

I thought it was a great film with an incredible and powerful performance from Red West. It was in indie / art house film so one of those where there is little dialogue and lots of long pauses. Red actually had very small amounts of dialogue and yet he conveyed so much without speaking. The mark of a great great actor in my opinion.

I find it sad but also a little touching that Red became the actor that Elvis would have liked to have been. Respected and a true master of his craft.

Long time since I watched this one but an interesting movie with a very good performance from Red.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:01 am

timothy_sideburns on Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:38 am wrote:I find it sad but also a little touching that Red became the actor that Elvis would have liked to have been.

I agree...

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:32 am

Red did good. If Elvis was alive maybe they would have been in another film together.