More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Rocker77
Registered for: 1 year 9 months
Mood:

MRS / FTD - are these cd’s of the same material or shows

Post by Rocker77 »

I was looking at the MRS Now 1971 4 cd set but it looks like it is the same shows as the FTD Las Vegas 1971 set. The dates look the same. Does anyone who has both of these sets in if the MRS is better in sound of the FTD. I see an extra disc so is there more material on the MRS. Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rocker77 on Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Union Ave
Registered for: 2 years 7 months

Re: MRS / FTD - ate these cd’s of the same material or shows

Post by Union Ave »

'Ate'?

Yes, I 'ate' them both.
The MRS one left me with a bit of a sour aftertaste though 😉

hm80ep
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by hm80ep »

So you're saying that the Formidably Tasty Dessert is better? :wink:

Henryk

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Rocker77 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:16 am
I was looking at the MRS Now 1971 4 cd set but it looks like it is the same shows as the FTD Las Vegas 1971 set. The dates look the same. Does anyone who has both of these sets in if the MRS is better in sound of the FTD. I see an extra disc so is there more material on the MRS. Thanks in advance.

It's the usual from this outfit, stealing audio from other titles, primarily SONY/RCA/FTD. The difference this time is they run the audio through their latest toy, software that tries to make the MONO recording sound like stereo. Disc 4 uses audio from something the same folks put out 13 years before, but now run through that software.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

On Tape 1972

Post by On Tape 1972 »

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by emjel »

On Tape 1972 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:01 pm
https://keithflynn.com/essential_lists/concerts-1971.html

+ what the Doc said.
But if the shows were recorded in 1971 and not officially released prior to the end of that year, they would have fallen into Public Domain in Europe. So nothing to do with the suggestion of stealing from FTD.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

On Tape 1972

Post by On Tape 1972 »

emjel wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:41 pm
On Tape 1972 wrote:

+ what the Doc said.
But if the shows were recorded in 1971 and not officially released prior to the end of that year, they would have fallen into Public Domain in Europe. So nothing to do with the suggestion of stealing from FTD.
January 28, 1971 (Dinner Show) is a recording that MRS presumably lifted from FTD's "The Impossible Dream". It's a mixed bag, really. FTD's "Las Vegas '71" was issued after the MRS title, after the recordings fell into public domain and it was sourced from better (most likely the original) tapes.

emjel

Post by emjel »

On Tape 1972 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:57 pm
emjel wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:41 pm
On Tape 1972 wrote:

+ what the Doc said.
January 28, 1971 (Dinner Show) is a recording that MRS presumably lifted from FTD's "The Impossible Dream". It's a mixed bag, really. FTD's "Las Vegas '71" was issued after the MRS title, after the recordings fell into public domain and it was sourced from better (most likely the original) tapes.
The way these tapes bounce around the world, it is of course possible that someone else also had a copy of that tape that FTD used and MRS acquired it later from them.

~

Lee Wood
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by Lee Wood »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:01 pm
Rocker77 wrote:

It's the usual from this outfit, stealing audio from other titles, primarily SONY/RCA/FTD. The difference this time is they run the audio through their latest toy, software that tries to make the MONO recording sound like stereo. Disc 4 uses audio from something the same folks put out 13 years before, but now run through that software.
Tiresome post from the MRS hater making unfounded claims.

Elvis2000
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

Lee Wood wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:03 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rocker77 wrote:

He’s right whether you like it or not. And you have 0 evidence to suggest the opposite it true so stop pushing this narrative of MRS not taking from official titles.

Lee Wood
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by Lee Wood »

Elvis2000 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:32 pm
Lee Wood wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rocker77 wrote:

He’s right whether you like it or not. And you have 0 evidence to suggest the opposite it true so stop pushing this narrative of MRS not taking from official titles.
He's not right. Educate yourself with the law in Europe.

emjel

Post by emjel »

Elvis2000 wrote:
Lee Wood wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rocker77 wrote:

So please provide complete evidence that MRS took the recordings from FTD as opposed to getting the recordings from another source….maybe the same third party source that provided FTD had nothing to do with Sony.

~

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

emjel wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:06 pm
Elvis2000 wrote:

So please provide complete evidence that MRS took the recordings from FTD as opposed to getting the recordings from another source….maybe the same third party source that provided FTD had nothing to do with Sony.

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

lpa
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by lpa »

is this also the case of the '72 recordings?

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years

Post by Markus K. »

lpa wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:51 pm
Yep. No original sources as these are offically held by SONY/FTD/RCA. So what you get from MRS is stolen/copied and than artifically tempered with to make it "special"... :facep:

lpa
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by lpa »

Markus K. wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:07 pm
lpa wrote:
Yep. No original sources as these are offically held by SONY/FTD/RCA. So what you get from MRS is stolen/copied and than artifically tempered with to make it "special"... :facep:
I see. Thanks

emjel

Post by emjel »

Markus K. wrote:
lpa wrote:
You have absolutely no proof that those cassette recordings were not given to someone else decades ago and they have put them on the market for sale. This is not like official studio recordings where it is obvious who owns them etc.

~

emjel

Post by emjel »

Markus K. wrote:
lpa wrote:
You clearly have no idea about how public domain recordings work. If those 1971 soundboard recordings were not released by Sony by the end of 2021, they are deemed to have fallen into public domain in Europe and so anyone can use them. From what I can see, this FTD release did not come out until 2022. The law clearly states "use them or lose them.
Last edited by emjel on Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

~

pmp
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by pmp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rocker77 wrote:

It's very difficult to steal this audio from Sony/RCA/FTD when Sony/RCA/FTD released most of this material AFTER MRS.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Elvis2000 wrote:
Lee Wood wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rocker77 wrote:

There is plenty of evidence to suggest the opposite. MRS released most of this music BEFORE FTD released it. Therefore, how can they steal it from something they don't have access to?

pmp

Post by pmp »

emjel wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:28 pm
Markus K. wrote:
lpa wrote:
You clearly have no idea about how public domain recordings work. If those 1971 soundboard recordings were not released by Sony by the end of 1971, they are deemed to have fallen into public domain in Europe and so anyone can use them. The law clearly states "use them or lose them.
That should say "by the end of 2021," in case anyone gets confused!

It does seem very odd that FTD didn't release the material before the end of 2021. OK, MRS may well have still released their stereo-ised recordings after FTD, but FTD would have got the bulk of the sales from fans because it came first. Some of the decisions are mind-blowing.

emjel

Post by emjel »

pmp wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:39 pm
emjel wrote:
Markus K. wrote:
lpa wrote:
You clearly have no idea about how public domain recordings work. If those 1971 soundboard recordings were not released by Sony by the end of 1971, they are deemed to have fallen into public domain in Europe and so anyone can use them. The law clearly states "use them or lose them.

It does seem very odd that FTD didn't release the material before the end of 2021. OK, MRS may well have still released their stereo-ised recordings after FTD, but FTD would have got the bulk of the sales from fans because it came first. Some of the decisions are mind-blowing.
Yes, I spotted that just before your message was received so amended it, but thanks. I find the hostility toward this label bizarre when no one seems to complain about all the other releases that are knocking around that contains material that is not in PD.

~

pmp

Post by pmp »

emjel wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:24 pm
pmp wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:39 pm
emjel wrote:
Markus K. wrote:
lpa wrote:

Yes, I spotted that just before your message was received so amended it, but thanks. I find the hostility toward this label bizarre when no one seems to complain about all the other releases that are knocking around that contains material that is not in PD.
It's a game of follow the leader, and little else.

Elvis2000

Post by Elvis2000 »

pmp wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:36 pm
Elvis2000 wrote:
Lee Wood wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rocker77 wrote:

There is plenty of evidence to suggest the opposite. MRS released most of this music BEFORE FTD released it. Therefore, how can they steal it from something they don't have access to?
And there's even more evidence to suggest the opposite.

Elvis2000

Post by Elvis2000 »

Lee Wood wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:45 pm
Elvis2000 wrote:
Lee Wood wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rocker77 wrote:

He's not right. Educate yourself with the law in Europe.
What do European laws have to do with the fact that they are lifting material from official releases?