Arrival March 25, 1961 on Hawaii filmed, see footage

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Arrival March 25, 1961 on Hawaii filmed, see footage

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Please have a look at this KITV4 news coverage from March 25, 2011 (exactly 50 years after the event). It looks like the actual landing of Elvis on Hawaii that day was filmed and the footage is still around. That footage starts after 1'20:

KHON2 News has it as well:

Last edited by MikeFromHolland on Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Joe Car
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Landing March 25, 1961 filmed

Post by Joe Car »

Awesome. Thanks Mike!!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Re: Landing March 25, 1961 filmed

Joe Car wrote:Awesome. Thanks Mike!!
You're welcome, Joe.

Perhaps some asking at those TV Stations will help to get some more :D

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

G.I. Blues
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Arrival March 25, 1961 on Hawaii filmed, see footage

Post by G.I. Blues »

Yeah, but when I pointed to the camera seen in some pictures... :wink:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86242&start=250#p1359876
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86242&start=275#p1360144

By the way, did you notice that the second clip showed the cover of GRM's For God And Country? :shock:

Daddy has left the Wohnzimmer!
Thank You and Good Night!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

G.I. Blues wrote:Yeah, but when I pointed to the camera seen in some pictures... :wink:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86242&start=250#p1359876
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86242&start=275#p1360144

By the way, did you notice that the second clip showed the cover of GRM's For God And Country? :shock:

I know. I replied on that in that topic, before I put the clips up here :wink: I even quoted you.

Yeah, I saw GRM's For God And Country in that clip. Wonder what happened to it and why... Well, we have Rock Around The Bloch soon... Something to look forward to... :D

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

MikeFromHolland wrote:.

Please have a look at this KITV4 news coverage from March 25, 2011 (exactly 50 years after the event). It looks like the actual landing of Elvis on Hawaii that day was filmed and the footage is still around. That footage starts after 1'20:

The first YouTube video mostly shows footage and images from 3-25-1961, the second has the same 1961 footage (just less of it), along with some from 4-07-1962, when he returned to do location filming for "Girls! Girls! Girls!" The interview snippet with KPOI DJ Tom Moffatt is from this 1962 visit. Elvis sports a yachting cap. Thew second clip also has some home movie footage from when he visited Honolulu and the Arizona Memorial in May 1968. Thanks for the share.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:.

The first YouTube video mostly shows footage and images from 3-25-1961, the second has the same 1961 footage (just less of it), along with some from 4-07-1962, when he returned to do location filming for "Girls! Girls! Girls!" The interview snippet with KPOI DJ Tom Moffatt is from this 1962 visit. Elvis sports a yachting cap. Thew second clip also has some home movie footage from when he visited Honolulu and the Arizona Memorial in May 1968. Thanks for the share.
And you thanks for the extra information!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

TITI

Post by TITI »

Thank you for the clips MikeFromHolland and Thanks to drjohncarpenter for information

ImageImageImage

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

Its not like I am suggestng that Ralph Edwards' contribution to build the USS Arizona Memorial was not important, namely the US$95,000 (US$ 742.0000 in today's dollars according to the CPI Inflation calculator, or a quarter of the total cost of the project), raised in the months following a "This Is Your Life" television broadcast which in turn highlighted the presence of Rear Admiral (ret.) Samuel G. Fuqua, a Medal of Honor recipient and the senior surviving officer from the USS Arizona, but if you campare it with PREVIOUS TELEVISION-BROADCAST charity or advocacy related efforts, where the millions who are watching are THE target, it almost seems like either not too many people were watching Edwards that night, for lack of publicity, perhaps, or if indeed there was a big television audience, say, 10 million watching, they just didnt respond accordingly, even in spite of the rear Admiral's commanding presence, as the senior survivor of the attack. For the sake of comparison, lets take a look at two events where Presley put his name on the line and the results which yielded. PLEASE TAKE NOTE THE TWO EVENTS TOOK PLACE BEFORE EDWARD'S CHARITY BROADCAST, which was in 1958, when Elvis was ALREADY serving in the US Army.

i) On October 28, 1956, three hours BEFORE appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show for the second time and after taking the latest version of Jonas Salk's polio vaccine, national reaction to watching Presley do this on live television was to exponentially INCREASE the level of immunization across the entire country in less than 6 months, from 0.6 to 80%. More than 100 million péople were touched.

ii) Now, more to the point in terms of advocacy power translated into PURE dollar amounts, FOR THE SAKE OF COMPARISON, was his request for Sullivan to request on his behalf, on January 6, 1957, at the last segment of his third and final live appearance on Sullivan's show, that urgent assistance be sent to the various relief organizations then trying to minimize, but lacking the funds, the plight of thousands of Hungarian refugees after the Soviet invasion of that country, which took place on October 24, 1956, four days before the aforementioned Elvis' second appearaance at Sullivan. THE DOLLAR RESULT? Some US$6 million were sent by Elvis fans, in the next 11 months, with the International Red Cross in Geneva then put in charge of distributing the persishables like US Army rations and non persihables, to the thousands settling, thanks to the funds, in both Vienna and London. According to the same CPI adjuntment calculator this US$6 million would be the equivalentof US49 million in today's dollars, more than fifty times the amount obtained, a year LATER, from the "This is your life" segment. Ok, so more people were watching the Sullivan show that night ( about 50 million as per TRENDEX,the precursor of Nielsen) but fifty times the number?? And to help Hungarians, as oppossed to building a memorial to honor Americans? Something odd happened that 1958 night with Edwards.

Incidentally, the US Army in a recent statement, PROUDLY (LOL) recalled the anniversary of the plane which carried the US$ millions in Army rations to the Hungarians ( Every week in 1957, until early 1958 when the funds stopped being sent, it would take all the stuff being purchased with the US$6 million, little by little, the cargo plane travelling back and forth from the Brooklyn Army terminal bound to land in European airports, ostensibly those located both in Vienna and London, as well as in Germany itsef, for ulterior distribution ), even citing that it was the same cargo plane which three years later carried the then Sgt Elvis Presley back from his Army service, in March of 1960. But what they failed to cite was the "source" of those US Army rations for the Hungarian relief effort. How did they even appear on the scene? It was almost like they gave those rations free of charge. No such thing, as we know. So, I wrote them a note, and they published it....The source coincidentally, had been the pre-Army Elvis, and his fans, all along...

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Huh?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

Jaime1234 wrote:Its not like I am suggestng that Ralph Edwards' contribution to build the USS Arizona Memorial was not important, namely the US$95,000 (US$ 742.0000 in today's dollars according to the CPI Inflation calculator, or a quarter of the total cost of the project), raised in the months following a "This Is Your Life" television broadcast which in turn highlighted the presence of Rear Admiral (ret.) Samuel G. Fuqua, a Medal of Honor recipient and the senior surviving officer from the USS Arizona, but if you campare it with PREVIOUS TELEVISION-BROADCAST charity or advocacy related efforts, where the millions who are watching are THE target, it almost seems like either not too many people were watching Edwards that night, for lack of publicity, perhaps, or if indeed there was a big television audience, say, 10 million watching, they just didnt respond accordingly, even in spite of the rear Admiral's commanding presence, as the senior survivor of the attack. For the sake of comparison, lets take a look at two events where Presley put his name on the line and the results which yielded. PLEASE TAKE NOTE THE TWO EVENTS TOOK PLACE BEFORE EDWARD'S CHARITY BROADCAST, which was in 1958, when Elvis was ALREADY serving in the US Army.

i) On October 28, 1956, three hours BEFORE appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show for the second time and after taking the latest version of Jonas Salk's polio vaccine, national reaction to watching Presley do this on live television was to exponentially INCREASE the level of immunization across the entire country in less than 6 months, from 0.6 to 80%. More than 100 million péople were touched.

ii) Now, more to the point in terms of advocacy power translated into PURE dollar amounts, FOR THE SAKE OF COMPARISON, was his request for Sullivan to request on his behalf, on January 6, 1957, at the last segment of his third and final live appearance on Sullivan's show, that urgent assistance be sent to the various relief organizations then trying to minimize, but lacking the funds, the plight of thousands of Hungarian refugees after the Soviet invasion of that country, which took place on October 24, 1956, four days before the aforementioned Elvis' second appearaance at Sullivan. THE DOLLAR RESULT? Some US$6 million were sent by Elvis fans, in the next 11 months, with the International Red Cross in Geneva then put in charge of distributing the persishables like US Army rations and non persihables, to the thousands settling, thanks to the funds, in both Vienna and London. According to the same CPI adjuntment calculator this US$6 million would be the equivalentof US49 million in today's dollars, more than fifty times the amount obtained, a year LATER, from the "This is your life" segment. Ok, so more people were watching the Sullivan show that night ( about 50 million as per TRENDEX,the precursor of Nielsen) but fifty times the number?? And to help Hungarians, as oppossed to building a memorial to honor Americans? Something odd happened that 1958 night with Edwards.

Incidentally, the US Army in a recent statement, PROUDLY (LOL) recalled the anniversary of the plane which carried the US$ millions in Army rations to the Hungarians ( Every week in 1957, until early 1958 when the funds stopped being sent, it would take all the stuff being purchased with the US$6 million, little by little, the cargo plane travelling back and forth from the Brooklyn Army terminal bound to land in European airports, ostensibly those located both in Vienna and London, as well as in Germany itsef, for ulterior distribution ), even citing that it was the same cargo plane which three years later carried the then Sgt Elvis Presley back from his Army service, in March of 1960. But what they failed to cite was the "source" of those US Army rations for the Hungarian relief effort. How did they even appear on the scene? It was almost like they gave those rations free of charge. No such thing, as we know. So, I wrote them a note, and they published it....The source coincidentally, had been the pre-Army Elvis, and his fans, all along...
:wtf:

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

So, I wrote them a note, and they published it....The source coincidentally, had been the pre-Army Elvis, and his fans, all along...
Where did they publish it? Can we find it somewhere on the internet?

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...