Here you can also post any related video's of Elvis too, except impersonator video's where they imitate Elvis' voice of material he recorded.

Bruce Springsteen Praises Elvis

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:01 pm

I've just found this video of Bruce Springsteen who praises Elvis, it's jut beautiful, sincere and moving, i hope it's new to you :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvxSkcr0MIA

Re: Bruce Springsteen Praises Elvis

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:55 pm

stibman wrote:I've just found this video of Bruce Springsteen who praises Elvis, it's jut beautiful, sincere and moving, i hope it's new to you :

phpBB [video]

Not new, but still beautiful. It's an excerpt from Bruce's superb SXSW Keynote speech, from Austin in March 2012. It is note-perfect.

Elvis was the first modern Twentieth Century man, the precursor of the Sexual Revolution, of the Civil Rights Revolution, drawn from the same Memphis as Martin Luther King, creating fundamental, outsider art that would be embraced by a mainstream popular culture.

Here's the entire segment on Elvis. He's a savvy guy, that Springsteen.

In the beginning, every musician has their genesis moment. For you, it might have been the Sex Pistols, or Madonna, or Public Enemy. It's whatever initially inspires you to action. Mine was 1956, Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Show. It was the evening I realized a white man could make magic, that you did not have to be constrained by your upbringing, by the way you looked, or by the social context that oppressed you. You could call upon your own powers of imagination, and you could create a transformative self.

A certain type of transformative self, that perhaps at any other moment in American History, might have seemed difficult, if not impossible. And I always tell my kids that they were lucky to be born in the age of reproducible technology, otherwise they'd be traveling in the back of a wagon and I'd be wearing a jester's hat. It's all about timing. The advent of television and its dissemination of visual information changed the world in the fifties the way the internet has over the past twenty years.

Remember, it wasn't just the way Elvis looked, it was the way he moved that made people crazy, pissed off, driven to screaming ecstasy, and profane revulsion. That was television. When they made an attempt to censor him from the waist down, it was because of what you could see happening in his pants. Elvis was the first modern Twentieth Century man, the precursor of the Sexual Revolution, of the Civil Rights Revolution, drawn from the same Memphis as Martin Luther King, creating fundamental, outsider art that would be embraced by a mainstream popular culture.

Television and Elvis gave us full access to a new language, a new form of communication, a new way of being, a new way of looking, a new way of thinking; about sex, about race, about identity, about life; a new way of being an American, a human being; and a new way of hearing music. Once Elvis came across the airwaves, once he was heard and seen in action, you could not put the genie back in the bottle. After that moment, there was yesterday, and there was today, and there was a red hot, rockabilly forging of a new tomorrow, before your very eyes.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-the-complete-text-of-bruce-springsteens-sxsw-keynote-address-20120328

Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:07 pm

Great! Thanks a lot, stibman and Doc. And thanks a lot, Bruce!

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:40 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Great! Thanks a lot, stibman and Doc. And thanks a lot, Bruce!

How can anyone, especially any Elvis fan, not love Bruce Springsteen?

It's impossible!

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:07 pm

he's great and made a great speech , never saw this before :)