Here you can also post any related video's of Elvis too, except impersonator video's where they imitate Elvis' voice of material he recorded.

Birmingham - 12/29/76

Sat May 31, 2014 3:40 pm

I really liked this whole concert, and thought Elvis looked very good, (from the photos) and was having a fun time and really put himself into the entire show. :)

CONCERT DATE: December 29, 1976 (8.30 pm) Birmingham, AL. Birmingham Coliseum.

Published on May 16, 2014
phpBB [video]

source: http://www.elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/press12.htm
CONCERT DATE: December 29, 1976 (8.30 pm) Birmingham, AL. Birmingham Coliseum.
Magnetic Elvis can still thrill audience
By Emmett Weaver
Birmingham Post Herald

You would think after all these years that people would be accustomed to Elvis Presley, but not the screaming, loyal fans, numbering 18,400, who packed the Birmingham Jefferson Coliseum Wednesday night.

The show was supposed to start at 8 p.m., but it wasn't until an hour and 45 minutes later that the magnetic Elvis in his familiar tight-fitting, white sequined costume made his entrance. Preceding his appearance was the Stamps gospel quartet, a talented black female trio, "The Sweet Inspirations", and a funny, wise-cracking Canadian standup comic Jackie Kahane. Was it worth the long wait for Elvis to come out in front of the spotlight? Just ask the rabid fans of the rock 'n' roll king, many of whom are women.

Security around the stage where Elvis appeared was heavy when the singer came out, with police and ushers forming a cordon. At times, some of the fans became a bit demonstrative, charging out of their seats, waving at their singer, throwing a cape which Elvis draped casually around his shoulder. When one jubilant fan hollered; "shake it Elvis", the star replied with a rather cool:"hang loose."

And the word ' loose" describes in many ways Elvis' stage demeanor because it is obvious that he is used to such public idolatry. I liked the way he handed out scarves on a wholesale basis to the women who were lucky enough to get close to the stage.

Also, for his first Birmingham appearance which was a complete sellout with people outside the coliseum waiting unsuccessfully to get in, he brought strong backup people, including even some good Alabama talent such as David Briggs of Florence on electric key-board who gave him solid support in Roberta Flack's "The First Time Ever I Saw You Face". One thing was quite obvious in Wednesday night's Birmingham debut: Mr. Presley's magnetic showmanship can still wrap an audience into a little tight ball. Call him a superstar, and there ain't many around today. Also, he has lost some weight so he isn't as portly in his physical appearance as he was in Tuscaloosa.

SONGS:
2001 Theme
C C Rider
I Got A Woman
- segued medley with -
Amen
Love Me
Fairytale
You Gave Me A Mountain
Jailhouse Rock
O Sole Mio (by Sherrill Nielsen)
- segued medley with -
Its Now Or Never
Tryin To Get To You
My Way
Polk Salad Annie
Band Introductions
Early Morning Rain
( featuring John Wilkinson )
Whatd I Say
( featuring James Burton )
Johnny B Goode
( featuring James Burton )
Drum Solo
( featuring Ronnie Tutt )
Bass Solo
( featuring Jerry Scheff )
Piano Solo
( featuring Tony Brown )
Electric Piano Solo
( featuring David Briggs )
Love Letters
School Day
Funny How Time Slips Away
Hurt
( followed by a reprise of above song )
Hound Dog
For The Good Times
( above song includes 1 false start )
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
Unchained Melody
Mystery Train
- segued medley with -
Tiger Man
Cant Help Falling In Love
Closing Vamp

Re: Birmingham - 12/29/76

Sat May 31, 2014 7:44 pm

Hey, this was indeed a very good show. My friends and I drove from Atlanta and when we got to Birmingham we stopped to get gas and directions to the coliseum. There were five of us in the car, and when the attendant came to fill the car with gas, he shook his head and said, "Now don't tell me, to get to the coliseum....................................... You are about the 100th carload of females to come by here tonight." We all got a good laugh about that. I remember that it was very cold that night and there was some ice on the road. I am petriified of dangerous driving conditions, and there is nothing that would have gotten me out on those roads except seeing Elvis.

I also loved "The First Time........." One thing I have always thought was very unusual is that Elvis did not kiss anyone that night (unless I missed it somehow). I don't think I saw any other show where he did not kiss anyone. Thanks for the video and nice review. I have very fond memories of this show, and the next night in Atlanta. It was a glorious time seeing Elvis two nights in a row!!!
Elvisly,

Linda
Last edited by lovin' EP on Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:31 am

lovin' EP wrote:Hey, this was indeed a very good show. My friends and I drove from Atlanta and when we got to Birmingham we stopped to get gas and directions to the coliseum. There were five of us in the car, and when the attendant came to fill the car with gas, he shook his head and said, "Now don't tell me, to get to the coliseum....................................... You are about the 100th carload of females to come by here tonight." We all got a good laugh about that. I remember that it was very cold that night and there was some ice on the road. I am petriified of dangerous driving conditions, and there is nothing that would have gotten me out on those roads except seeing Elvis.

I also loved "The First Time........." One thing I have always thought was very unusual is that Elvis did not kiss anyone that night (unless I missed it somehow). I don't think I saw any other show where he did not kiss anyone. Thanks for the video and nice review. I have very found memories of this show, and the next night in Atlanta. It was a glorious time seeing Elvis two nights in a row!!!

Elvisly,

Linda

:shock: Wow what a great story "lovin' EP", thanks for sharing that. :D Boy O' Boy you must have been so happy to see Elvis live on stage, and such a great show this is, you are so lucky, you must be exstra happy to have a video of this show to bring back all those wonderful memories. :wink:

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:21 am

Nice to see my old mate Bruce Jackson (with Ginger) at 31:31 albeit the back of their heads.
This footage, restored, would have been great as a bonus disc on the recent Pittsburgh release. I thought there were other angles, or am I talking out of my youknowwhat (as usual)?
Is there footage of Dallas available?

Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:34 am

Watching this footage I noticed quite a few empty seats in the Birmingham coliseum during "Funny How Time Slips Away" when the house lights were on.
Could it be that this concert did not sell out? The book "Did Elvis Sing In Your hometown, Too" by Lee Cotten gives two attendance figures for this show: 18,056 ( or 18,400).

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:42 am

whatsupdoc wrote:Watching this footage I noticed quite a few empty seats in the Birmingham coliseum during "Funny How Time Slips Away" when the house lights were on.
Could it be that this concert did not sell out? The book "Did Elvis Sing In Your hometown, Too" by Lee Cotten gives two attendance figures for this show: 18,056 ( or 18,400).

Probably unsold limited view seats as they are right behind the stage.
Joe Guercio's group was on an elevated platform so that happened more often

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:44 am

Jim Dandy wrote:Nice to see my old mate Bruce Jackson (with Ginger) at 31:31 albeit the back of their heads.
This footage, restored, would have been great as a bonus disc on the recent Pittsburgh release. I thought there were other angles, or am I talking out of my youknowwhat (as usual)?
Is there footage of Dallas available?

Hi JD, I've never seen an alternate Birmingham angle.
There must be something out there though....

After all these years, new footage is still showing up.