Here you can also post any related video's of Elvis too, except impersonator video's where they imitate Elvis' voice of material he recorded.

Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:36 pm

We all know how elvis looked on the photo's obviously overweight and tired. But the footage shows us Elvis enjoying himself and trowing in some of his movements!. The concert itself ain't that bad!
phpBB [video]



You gave me a mountain
phpBB [video]

Last edited by Johnny2523 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:21 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:We all know how elvis looked on the photo's obiously overweight and tired. But the footage shows us Elvis enjoying himself and trowing in some of his movements!. The concert itself ain't that bad!
phpBB [video]



You gave me a mountain
phpBB [video]



Elvis wasn't just "obiously overweight and tired" but seriously unwell.

That this was how he kicked off his 1977 tours was a serious indictment of his management, and an ominous foreshadowing of what was to come.

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:We all know how elvis looked on the photo's obiously overweight and tired. But the footage shows us Elvis enjoying himself and trowing in some of his movements!. The concert itself ain't that bad!
phpBB [video]



You gave me a mountain
phpBB [video]



Elvis wasn't just "obiously overweight and tired" but seriously unwell.

That this was how he kicked off his 1977 tours was a serious indictment of his management, and an ominous foreshadowing of what was to come.


However, Elvis did move alot during this show, and the concert itself was okay for this year.

The newspapers agreed.

''The Pelvis Still Shakes Em' http://elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/press18.htm
"Elvis Croons - 14,700 Get All Shook Up" - The Miami Herald http://elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/press118.htm
''Elvis is still the king'' - Sun Tattler http://elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/press352.htm

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:06 am

Great footage :smt023
Thnxs a lot.
Grt. Michel.

::rocks

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:22 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis wasn't just "obiously overweight and tired" but seriously unwell.

That this was how he kicked off his 1977 tours was a serious indictment of his management, and an ominous foreshadowing of what was to come.


However, Elvis did move alot during this show, and the concert itself was okay for this year.


So what? That's not important at all, if you care about the human being on that stage. I know I do.

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:07 pm

It’s a tad late for you to be expressing your concerns. The guy’s been dead for almost 40 years.

Why can’t Johnny2523 just enjoy these performances if that’s what he wants? We cannot change history. If he can derive some pleasure from these performances, then nowt wrong with that in my view.

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:21 am

Rock Legend wrote:It’s a tad late for you to be expressing your concerns. The guy’s been dead for almost 40 years.


What a keen, deeply-felt observation!

Why don't you send a message to admin about shutting this forum down?

I mean, after all, why should anyone express any thoughts about Elvis Presley? The guy’s been dead for almost 40 years.

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:16 am

The point is, you keep flogging the same dead horse when it comes to ’77 Elvis. I’ve heard you repeat yourself ad nauseum on this forum. Perhaps the time has come for you to step back a little, with the knowledge that people here are fully up-to-date as to your views about the matter.

Thank you.

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:It’s a tad late for you to be expressing your concerns. The guy’s been dead for almost 40 years.


What a keen, deeply-felt observation!

Why don't you send a message to admin about shutting this forum down?

I mean, after all, why should anyone express any thoughts about Elvis Presley? The guy’s been dead for almost 40 years.



????????????????????????

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:12 am

I can see both sides of the argument happening in this thread. I think at the heart of the opening post is the fact that even up to the end of his life Elvis was able to bring some magic to the stage and fill his audience with joy. The performances he posted certainly don't compare to the Elvis of just a few years before and certainly not the Elvis who rules the stage between 68 and 70, but he was still able to captivate his audience who was live in the moment of his performance.

Should Elvis have been on the stage at this point, no, but that does not change that for the people in the audience and for the op, the performances provided a positive aesthetic experience. Appreciating what you like about a performance does not mean that you aren't aware of the history or the context of that performance in the greater scheme of the Elvis story.

Being an Elvis fan shouldn't be a contest (I see it this way, you see it that way, so I win, I'm the better fan...) it should be a connection. I have traveled a lot in my life and I love the fact that every where I go, I can count on finding someone who shares at least that one common connection with me...they like Elvis.

There is an experience that I have shared with many Elvis fan's that I have met over the years. In 1990 when the "Elvis: Great Performances" vhs release hit I was floored by the "Unchained Melody" performance on one of the tapes. I had always hated the Elvis in Concert footage that I had seen, but I was blown away by the sheer determination Elvis put into the performance and with the satisfaction he seemed to take from his effort. Many of the fans I have shared this experience with said they felt the same way when they watched it. We all still know just what is happening during those concerts and just how tragic it is that they were put to tape to stand as the last recorded performances of Elvis Presley, but that doesn't mean he didn't still have the magic and talent to captivate his audience.

So, having followed DJC's posts on here for years, I know that ultimately he strives to put things into deeper context and I certainly understand the the context he is providing to this footage but I can also understand the op's appreciation of the footage for what it is.

Maybe we can all work on providing context while still keeping in mind that no one can really appreciate or judge someone else's aesthetic experience. (cue Walk a mile..)

Ultimately, with Elvis we have to learn to take in the whole picture/story of his career to truly appreciate any one part of his journey and impact.

Just my humble ramblings...for what they are worth.

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:44 am

jonesELfan wrote:I can see both sides of the argument happening in this thread. I think at the heart of the opening post is the fact that even up to the end of his life Elvis was able to bring some magic to the stage and fill his audience with joy. The performances he posted certainly don't compare to the Elvis of just a few years before and certainly not the Elvis who rules the stage between 68 and 70, but he was still able to captivate his audience who was live in the moment of his performance.

Should Elvis have been on the stage at this point, no, but that does not change that for the people in the audience and for the op, the performances provided a positive aesthetic experience. Appreciating what you like about a performance does not mean that you aren't aware of the history or the context of that performance in the greater scheme of the Elvis story.

Being an Elvis fan shouldn't be a contest (I see it this way, you see it that way, so I win, I'm the better fan...) it should be a connection. I have traveled a lot in my life and I love the fact that every where I go, I can count on finding someone who shares at least that one common connection with me...they like Elvis.

There is an experience that I have shared with many Elvis fan's that I have met over the years. In 1990 when the "Elvis: Great Performances" vhs release hit I was floored by the "Unchained Melody" performance on one of the tapes. I had always hated the Elvis in Concert footage that I had seen, but I was blown away by the sheer determination Elvis put into the performance and with the satisfaction he seemed to take from his effort. Many of the fans I have shared this experience with said they felt the same way when they watched it. We all still know just what is happening during those concerts and just how tragic it is that they were put to tape to stand as the last recorded performances of Elvis Presley, but that doesn't mean he didn't still have the magic and talent to captivate his audience.

So, having followed DJC's posts on here for years, I know that ultimately he strives to put things into deeper context and I certainly understand the the context he is providing to this footage but I can also understand the op's appreciation of the footage for what it is.

Maybe we can all work on providing context while still keeping in mind that no one can really appreciate or judge someone else's aesthetic experience. (cue Walk a mile..)

Ultimately, with Elvis we have to learn to take in the whole picture/story of his career to truly appreciate any one part of his journey and impact.

Just my humble ramblings...for what they are worth.


Beautifully said :) ::rocks

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:02 am

Thanks, Johnny2523.

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:41 am

That was indeed a balanced, deeply felt post, jonesELfan.

In the performance you cite, you have to root for him, even knowing the larger context.

But it is still frustrating to a lot of people that he has indeed been under the ground for nearly 40 years.

I mean, I can pop over to Facebook or Twitter and talk TO a living, breathing William Shatner. He's nearly 83, and has like 10 projects going right now. Not everyone is quite that energetic or approachable, but I do think of Elvis a lot. When I saw Redford in his recent "All Is Lost," I thought of Elvis. I thought of how long he's been gone.

I think it will always hurt, but the pain will dull. But it's still within a time window when it still stings.

On the other hand, if some can bracket their knowledge, and take pleasure in the performances he did give, that's okay. I'm sure everyone here knows the context. Some just cannot tolerate that last year, and some successfully derive there own pleasure in "rooting" for him.

I find it difficult. He didn't have to die. I know he did, and some are better at just accepting it. But he didn't have to die.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:23 pm

rjm, I completely understand. I am 47 (unfortunately close to 48) and thanks to my mom's fandom, never had a day in my life without Elvis' music. His loss was, as it was for many people, like losing a family member, and was the first real experience I had of losing someone I cared about to death.

I remember listening to the "EIC' album over and over and my 11 year old self loved that record. I had no knowledge of "production' so just assumed the concerts were really as good as they sounded. But the then the special aired and I was heartbroken at Elvis' condition and my mom's tears.
I think for many people that is the complication with that period for many fans; the album hid the truth of the footage and allowed joy and grief to be intertwined like fingers of hands in prayer.

Grief is complicated. Even the last years or months with a loved one that has passed due to illness are filled with laughter and joy. You don't tell a family member not to appreciate those good memories because the person who died wasn't at their best. In fact, it is far more "normal' to mine those rare good days for all the joy you can find.

We can't let our grief undermine somebody else's joyous memories because we aren't really diminishing them but the person we lost.

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:18 pm

rjm wrote:That was indeed a balanced, deeply felt post, jonesELfan.

In the performance you cite, you have to root for him, even knowing the larger context.

But it is still frustrating to a lot of people that he has indeed been under the ground for nearly 40 years.

I mean, I can pop over to Facebook or Twitter and talk TO a living, breathing William Shatner. He's nearly 83, and has like 10 projects going right now. Not everyone is quite that energetic or approachable, but I do think of Elvis a lot. When I saw Redford in his recent "All Is Lost," I thought of Elvis. I thought of how long he's been gone.

I think it will always hurt, but the pain will dull. But it's still within a time window when it still stings.

On the other hand, if some can bracket their knowledge, and take pleasure in the performances he did give, that's okay. I'm sure everyone here knows the context. Some just cannot tolerate that last year, and some successfully derive there own pleasure in "rooting" for him.

I find it difficult. He didn't have to die. I know he did, and some are better at just accepting it. But he didn't have to die.

rjm

Sent via mobile


Yes, he could've achieved so much more. and when you think about the fact that he was frightened by the fact that he'll be forgotten. if there is Haven, he should be pleased.

Re: Elvis in Hollywood - February 12 1977 - Footage!

Fri May 30, 2014 2:12 pm

You wonder what happened in the 6 weeks between this tour and the final tour of 76 - if like a year has gone by not a few weeks. Its a different person.