Here you can also post any related video's of Elvis too, except impersonator video's where they imitate Elvis' voice of material he recorded.

Elsa Cardenas about Elvis Presley

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:27 am

Anybody knows what she's saying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hCN9WsZesg
phpBB [video]

Re: Elsa Cardenas about Elvis Presley

Fri May 03, 2013 12:59 am

Summary of answers provided by Elsa to the person asking the questions, who was the Mexican answer to Ed Sullivan

Questions

His dislike for Mexicans, was it true?

Not at all, he loved Mexicans and this was started by envious male Mexicans to decrease his huge early success with women in Mexico.

Was he nice?
Extremely, always joking, being nice to his co starts.

Was there a spark between the two of you?
Yes, yes, but it became rather a friendship, which lasted for a few years, then subsided as we went our separate ways.

Was Col Parker then the "bad guy in the movie"?
Yes, I guess, he had a huge leash on him, during the Hollywood years ( something which the interviewer then confirms, as he relates when Parker did not allow him to interview Elvis, when he once went to Hollywood with that in mind.

Was James Dean, whom you also knew quite well, more open, let's say, more accessible than Elvis?
No, Elvis was more like a happy person who wanted you to be a part of him, while Dean was kind of an unhappy guy, unaccesible, but who treated her very nice, too.

Sat May 11, 2013 11:25 pm

Thank you !!

Sun May 12, 2013 1:07 am

Thank you so much! This is a keeper!

There are still MANY Chicanos, and other Mexican-Americans, who not only "believe" this Urban Legend, but some have sworn to me that they heard or SAW him say this! It's outrageous! Of course, when challenged, they can produce nothing, because there is nothing.

Always so FRUSTRATING! This will be MOST helpful!

(I do think there is a backstory as to who started it and why, but it's intricate, and I forgot the details.)

rjm

Tue May 21, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi R%JM. Hope you are well. It was I who first weaved together the pieces revolving the entire Elvis Mexican affair, from two main sources, and just by chance, I happen to have found the note I wrote and which, for reasons I really can't recall, I was not able to post. First my personal reasons for being interested. As a grammar, then junior high school student in Mexico, I attended a school also attended by the sons of the people who were initially responsible for Elvis's first ban, more on that later, although when this took place, as a then 11 to 13 year old kid, I naturally didn't have an idea that it was their dad who was behind it. I am the son of a diplomat who served in Mexico from late 1961 to early 1964 who found odd, to say the least, that he was banned from both radio airplay and record stores, as well as from cinemas. Having been a fan of his since age 7, in 1957 Havana, then until I was 11, in 1958/61 Lima, when we moved to my dad's next post, Mexico City, his ban THERE, in all of Mexico, was so effective that I didn't even know he'd been declared "persona non grata" just before an entire Paramount crew travelled there, then on to Acapulco, to film the locale scenery for "Fun in Acapulco". That was in 1962, when I was already there.

By some strange twist of fate, as we were then transferred to Sao Paulo, my dad offered me ( the only one in our family of four who hadn't been to Acapulco), to go there, the whole family, for a week of fun. It was in late March, 1964. As we made our entrance to the famous restaurant facing the cliff, and once we were seated, one of the main waiters told my mom she reminded him of Elsa Cardenas. This prompted my dad to ask him to ellaborate. It was then, only then, that we all came to know, from the waiter, that an "Elvis movie" with Elsa Cardenas in the cast had just been filmed there (actually about a year and a half before). Even when the waiter said Elvis hadn't been there, at the restaurant, and inspite of what I knew, that he was banned as a homosexual (LOL), and a Mexican hater, the thought of him being declared "persona non grata" in Mexico ( a term I've known since the age of ten, because of my dad's diplomatic business), NEVER entered my mind. In fact at least 35 years had to pass for me to get an idea of what had actually taken place, right under my own nose (LOL), as you shall see from the detailed account which follows. Enjoy.

Introduction

From 1952 to 1966, one of the most powerful men in Mexico was the mayor of the country´s capital city. He was a man whose unusual (for a male Mexican in those days…), sexual inclinations and picadilloes had to remain secret, especially because of the super important position he held.
My dad, because of this man's high position in the government, knew him since about the first week we all got there, in December of 1961. He was on the list of people all diplomats who are accredited to that country must pay a courtesy visit to. Anyways, rewinding to early 1957, a day came when a close friend of his from the top of the Mexican financial elite (the members of that family, some of whom I went to school with, are still ruling a significant portion of Mexico´s airwaves, as I write this note…), asked him to write a PERSONAL letter to Elvis, then the world´s biggest recording star and the reason for the then-recent (1956) RCA decision to invest millions of US dollars in a new record plant to be built in Mexico (to meet the huge demand he was starting to enjoy there, him being, by the end of 1956, the artist, national or international who sold the most 45, 75 and 33 RPM LP records in that country). In the letter, which he signed as the Mayor of Mexico City, he invited Elvis to appear as a special guest in the 15th birthday party of this particular tycoon´s daughter. The letter, incredibly as this may seem, contained a blank check signed by the tycoon against one of his US bank accounts, with the indication that Presley could choose whatever fee he deemed appropriate.

As the letter took its time to reach Los Angeles, the tycoon nevertheless kept saying, not just to his daughter, family, but to his best friends, the latter the ones who ruled Mexico, and this at both social and government circles, that Presley was coming. LOL. He in fact announced to them that his daughter would, in fact not in theory, have Elvis Presley as the main attraction when she turned 15 and, lo and behold, singing her favourite Presley songs in front of the entire Mexican high society. That´s a very tall order, even today.

In Los Angeles, Presley was working on “Jailhouse Rock”. Upon receipt of the letter and as Elvis was due to appear live in Canada on the date of the girl's birthday, a really elegant reply letter, along with the unused check, was sent by Presley´s management back to the Mayor , indicating to the Mayor that, regrettably, on the date requested, Presley would be in Vancouver, BC, playing at Empire Stadium, (and I say, not for 1, 500, or even 2,000 ”guests” , but for 26,000 crazy canuck teenagers, the largest audience ever at that stadium, a record audience not even the Beatles, who played there in 1965 for 24,000, were able to beat). “All arrangements for playing in Canada were made, and perhaps” , said the letter, “Presley could agree to sing for her the following year, when she turns 16”. Of course, and this is besides the point, Presley was at that time still to be given his Army draft orders, so there was no way he could have known that, a year later, on September 1, 1958, he would ALSO be too busy, much busier, in fact, this time at Fort Hood Texas, from where he was then shipped to Germany, for the remainder of his 2 year Army stint.

When the Mayor got the letter, in April of 1957, he called the tycoon, whose shame, after telling everyone Presley was coming, was proportional to the ostentatious manner in which he had both planned and announced it. So, something had to be done. They decided on the vilest of actions, courtesy of Mexico´s most celebrated social columnist at “Excelsior”, a man who, if I may add, my dad also knew. About a week later, the following appeared in his column. “According to one of my sources, who interviewed him in Tijuana, Elvis Presley has refused to give a concert in Mexico because he hates Mexican women. He says he´d prefer kissing three Afro-American woman than to be near, let alone kiss a Mexican”.

It should be noted (LOL), that Elvis was never in Tijuana, then, or in the following 20 years of his rather short life.

First and Second BANS

The next month, he was banned from airplay, because of the article. Two years later, in 1959, when two rival gangs fought at a top-class Mexico City theatre, one side defending Elvis, the other against him at the premiere of “King Creole” (with one boy age 17 from those defending him being killed as a result…), he was banned from record stores. Not a single article appeared, courtesy of the Mayor, of this event, in any newspaper, all litigations being held secretly.

Third and fourth BANS

Two years after that, in late 1960, when the same thing happened at the first showing of “G.I. Blues”, (no one was killed, thankfully, but significant damage was made to the theater which, incidentally, was not just the same as in the 1957 incident, but the one I went the most to, during my entire time in that city), he was banned from movie theatres. This, however, did appear in the newspapers. And in late 1962, when his name came up requesting a visa, as he was scheduled to do the locale filming for his movie “Fun in Acapulco”, the Mayor banned him from entering the country. Since the entire crew was already in Mexico, they used a double, then re-filmed all interior scenes in Hollywood.

Aftermath

Three and a half years later, in early 1966, about a couple of months before he was finally “unseated” from that key post, the Mayor banned the Beatles from giving a concert there, not because “they were a threat to morals” as he suggested to the press, but because agreeing to it would have meant his banning Presley to do just a movie there would have seemed odd, to say the least. After all, that inconsistency would had made a reporter, any reporter, curious to investigate. To say that the rival group to the tycoon´s financial group was behind the building of the RCA plant back in 1956 goes without saying. They killed two birds with one stone. The plant, by the rival group, was finally built by 1958 but with no Presley in record stores by 1959, all they could do, most notably, is sell Paul Anka records. The gap between record sales of the two RCA artists, in the 1956/1957 period, was 6 to 1, in favour of Presley, and that data is worldwide. It could have happened there, in Mexico, too, the result being their new plant selling approximately six times as many records than they actually did. In the end, in Mexico, after the Presley ban from stores, Anka outsold Presley by 100 to 1, if not more, and this during the entire 1959-70 period, the latter year representing the time when the ban was finally made null and void.

And , a little after that, the book by one of those who´d been at the theater when that boy was killed, finally came to light. It´s called, appropriately, “Rey Criollo”. And, three decades later, came “Refried Elvis”, which confirmed the story.

Summing up, this is the how, and why of the reasons for many Mexicans, or a good portion of those who lived, or live in Mexico, or come from that country and live in the US, came to both be unaware of Presley´s early musical contributions, and to hate him for no reason at all…

PS. Many, many years later, the three main Mexican actresses who co-starred with Elvis during his Hollywood years recalled the times they spent, each, to counter-weigh the wrong idea Mexicans had of Elvis, you know, that he was both a homosexual and a Mexican hater. First, it was Dolores de Rio, in 1961, then Elsa Cardenas as early as in 1964 ( much earlier, in fact, than the date of the clip which is the subject of this thread) and, finally, Katty Jurado, in 1968. They each called Mexico, long distance, one of them, Ms. del Rio, with Elvis next to her as she was put on, live, on the most listened to Mexican AM radio station, XEW, saying that the whole thing was a fabrication, the source of which they knew nothing about. And they didn't know. But, since the publication of both books, we ALL know now...

Wed May 22, 2013 9:52 am

I really don't know how to thank you!

This is absolutely ESSENTIAL information, and should be submitted to Snopes, by the way. Most people are unaware of the serious nature of this Urban Legend.

Something terrible happened a few years ago. I had a young teacher's aid, in my absence from the room, tell a predominantly Chicano class this Urban Legend, as fact. This was after watching a documentary about rock 'n' roll and the civil rights movement, narrated by the late Peter Jennings. The students were impressed with Elvis and his historical role.

I left to pick up some sheets from the copy machine, so they could write about what they saw. Just for a moment.

So, she took this opportunity to "enlighten" them. Well, they told their families! I had shown them a "racist film about a racist." I was just dying! And the family members said they had ALWAYS known this! It is true. There is tape to prove it, and they had heard it. One "saw" it.

I didn't have your information, but I did have Elvis's own "open telegram" where he denies it, and says "God created everybody equal." The younger students were mostly satisfied, but still, their families told them otherwise.

I just wanted to crawl into a hole and . . . if he WAS a racist, they should have known I would not have shown such a film. So, this was quite personal. My whole integrity was at stake.

Thank you so much! I feel liberated!

{pulsating-heart-smilely}

I am in your debt.

rjm
P.S. -- Her "16th" birthday would not matter. 15 is the major celebration, of course. I have attended several.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Wed May 29, 2013 2:23 am

rjm wrote:I really don't know how to thank you!

This is absolutely ESSENTIAL information, and should be submitted to Snopes, by the way. Most people are unaware of the serious nature of this Urban Legend.

Something terrible happened a few years ago. I had a young teacher's aid, in my absence from the room, tell a predominantly Chicano class this Urban Legend, as fact. This was after watching a documentary about rock 'n' roll and the civil rights movement, narrated by the late Peter Jennings. The students were impressed with Elvis and his historical role.

I left to pick up some sheets from the copy machine, so they could write about what they saw. Just for a moment.

So, she took this opportunity to "enlighten" them. Well, they told their families! I had shown them a "racist film about a racist." I was just dying! And the family members said they had ALWAYS known this! It is true. There is tape to prove it, and they had heard it. One "saw" it.

I didn't have your information, but I did have Elvis's own "open telegram" where he denies it, and says "God created everybody equal." The younger students were mostly satisfied, but still, their families told them otherwise.

I just wanted to crawl into a hole and . . . if he WAS a racist, they should have known I would not have shown such a film. So, this was quite personal. My whole integrity was at stake.

Thank you so much! I feel liberated!

{pulsating-heart-smilely}

I am in your debt.

rjm
P.S. -- Her "16th" birthday would not matter. 15 is the major celebration, of course. I have attended several.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I see your point, and I´m so glad you found my note as interesting as you did. Incidentally, I now remember the reason I didn´t post my notes earlier. It has to do with the non surprising fact that I, as a former diplomat myself, invariably kept these matters where important people are involved, to myself, lest I reveive a proper tart in the face on my next trip to the country where the people I´ve named either live,or continue to have a great deal of political power. LOL.

Contemplate, if you must, that on my next trip to Mexico City, and as I gallivant around the various elegant venues which are the subject of my visit (LOL) that, suddenly, a member of the family whose name I´ve not mentioned thus far, realizes that it was I, me, who finally extracted the last nail in the coffin of a 56 year mystery which had not just an evil effect on how mexicans saw Elvis ( that wouldn´t be the problem, I assure you ), but revolving around a key moment in time which in turn influenced how the entire recording industry in Mexico is still run. I can see what my next actions would have been, before my retirement that is. One was to quickly return to the hotel. The next would have been to pack my bags and the third, yes, you guessed it, take a cab to the airport..(LOL). Nevertheless, my diplomatic retirement notwithstanding, I haven´t yet decided on naming the family which started the whole thing. For reasons I will not detail here, I do have family in Mexico, one of them, in fact, extremely well known to the business circles of the family in question. In today´s internet-ruled world, however, I guess it would be relatively easy for you to find out whose Mexican tycoon´s daughter was born on August 1, 1942, the one whose 15th birthday was due on September 1, 1957 (LOL). So kindly do some genealogical research, then try Facebookl!! LOL. Than woman, if she´s alive, would be only 71 years old today, but then by that time you´d already know who her dad was. And although he´s certainly dead, his descendants are not...

Wed May 29, 2013 10:13 am

It's okay! Wow, that sounds serious -- about the name. If it were to come in future conversation, with local ordinary people, I'll only maybe look it up if I felt as pressed against the wall as then -- if the same situation were possibly to happen again, which I can't imagine. It was really horrible. I can't say that I felt what Elvis did, because that's impossible, but a "taste" of it, yes.

It's hard to know how he endured almost his entire adult life with these horrific Urban Legends attached to him like clams. It had to be very painful; there was really nothing he could do about it. I guess all he could do was to be himself, and the result would be what you hear in the interview above. But he did write that open telegram. After that, after the Jet piece, too, he did not address this. There was nothing he could do but live with it.

Thanks. And don't worry! :smt006

rjm

Wed May 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Luckily for him, these allegations came within the period between 1956 and 1963.
All of them. Here's a timeline

1956 Catholic Church, USA, a sexual degenerate and devil's incarnate with women Cardinal Spellman, of NY agreed.
1956 Jacksonville priest, later indicted himself, on children's abuse, for 30 years straight. He said he was a sexual degenerate (LOL)
1957. Sepia, then negated by Jet, racist and copycat
1957 Excelsior, then Mexico City mayor, then the Government, homosexual, mexican hater
1958 Government of the USSR US AGENT BENT ON DESTROYING COMMUNIST YOUTH'S VALUES
1959 Government of East Germany. same as above
1959 GOVERNMENT OF sOUTH AFRICA. WHITE REPRESENTATIVE OF BLACK MINORITIES during apartheid (LOL)
1963 GOVERNMENT OF CUBA. HOMOSEXUAL DEVIATE, US parasite

I've been to every city, county, and country named above, except fot the former Soviet Union (LOL, and the people whom I spoke to, about these matters, all regret it...)