Here you can also post any related video's of Elvis too, except impersonator video's where they imitate Elvis' voice of material he recorded.

Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:32 pm

View a video of a Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance.

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:09 pm

A typically wonderful concert moment from Bruce Springsteen.

This is Bruce's second adaptation of "Follow That Dream," and a beautiful, unissued version recorded during the Born in the U.S.A. sessions remains in the vaults. He first did the arrangement during his 1984-85 tour, this clip comes from the amazing "Tunnel of Love" tour, at St. Jacob Stadium in Basel, Switzerland on July 14, 1988.

Springsteen's 1981 rewrite, debuted on the European tour that year, is a far darker, and perhaps even more astonishing performance. It has the same tone and feel Springsteen would put into his 1982 classic, Nebraska.

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:11 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:A typically wonderful concert moment from Bruce Springsteen.

This is Bruce's second adaptation of "Follow That Dream," and a beautiful, unissued version recorded during the Born in the U.S.A. sessions remains in the vaults. He first did the arrangement during his 1984-85 tour, this clip comes from the amazing "Tunnel of Love" tour, at St. Jacob Stadium in Basel, Switzerland on July 14, 1988.

Springsteen's 1981 rewrite, debuted on the European tour that year, is a far darker, and perhaps even more astonishing performance. It has the same tone and feel Springsteen would put into his 1982 classic, Nebraska.


Doc, absolutely correct on the 1981 version of the song which he debuted in Eruopre in the spring of 1981, a few days after debuting his cover of "Can't Help Falling in Love". I always thought the 1982 version should have made the Tracks box in 1998.

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Mike C wrote:Doc, absolutely correct on the 1981 version of the song which he debuted in Eruopre in the spring of 1981, a few days after debuting his cover of "Can't Help Falling in Love". I always thought the 1982 version should have made the Tracks box in 1998.

Do you mean the 1983 recording, which is the second arrangement? I agree -- it deserved a home on Tracks. However, Bruce has so much incredible unissued material that a Tracks 2 certainly must be in the offing, and will likely include "Follow That Dream." I will buy it the day it comes out.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:15 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:Doc, absolutely correct on the 1981 version of the song which he debuted in Eruopre in the spring of 1981, a few days after debuting his cover of "Can't Help Falling in Love". I always thought the 1982 version should have made the Tracks box in 1998.

Do you mean the 1983 recording, which is the second arrangement? I agree -- it deserved a home on Tracks. However, Bruce has so much incredible unissued material that a Tracks 2 certainly must be in the offing, and will likely include "Follow That Dream." I will buy it the day it comes out.


Yes, that is the recording I mean. It is from 1983 when he was recording out in LA, correct?

I suspect Tracks 2 is a few years down the road. I'll be with you buying it on day one.

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Mike C wrote:Yes, that is the recording I mean. It is from 1983 when he was recording out in LA, correct?

Yes. He made a lot of stunningly good recordings there, and only a few have officially seen the light of day.

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:27 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:Yes, that is the recording I mean. It is from 1983 when he was recording out in LA, correct?

Yes. He made a lot of stunningly good recordings there, and only a few have officially seen the light of day.


So true. My favorite from those sessions is "County Fair."

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:51 am

Mike C wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:Yes, that is the recording I mean. It is from 1983 when he was recording out in LA, correct?

Yes. He made a lot of stunningly good recordings there, and only a few have officially seen the light of day.


So true. My favorite from those sessions is "County Fair."

At least that one got officially issued.

For example, here are just ten astounding tunes that still await a home:

The Klansman
Betty Jean
One Love
Unsatisfied Heart
Richfield Whistle
Little Girl Like You
Delivery Man
Follow That Dream
Sugarland
Don't Back Down

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:03 am

One can assume that Bruce is going to tackle a Born In The USA anniversary in the same fashion as Born To Run and Darkness. We'll probably be hearing a lot of this USA vault material in an expansive set. With Bruce's ambivalence about the album, he'll most likely embrace the chance to tell the true history of a misunderstood album and period in his life and career.

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:22 pm

Far from Elvis' version, it makes me think... Was Elvis afraid to let his feelings show?

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:02 pm

Only two more years to go until the "Born In The U.S.A." anniversary edition! :D

Does anybody know Bruce's studio version of "Viva Las Vegas"?
wikipedia wrote:The song is a part of Bruce Springsteen's live act, and was included in The Last Temptation of Elvis, a commemorative album of renditions by singers, and rock groups, of songs made famous by Presley. Springsteen's studio version of "Viva Las Vegas" was also included in the soundtrack of the 1992 film Honeymoon in Vegas, and in his 2003 compilation, The Essential Bruce Springsteen.


Well, here it is, taken originally from my copy of "The Last Temptation Of Elvis":
Bruce Springsteen - Viva Las Vegas.wav
http://www63.zippyshare.com/v/9937915/file.html

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:15 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Does anybody know Bruce's studio version of "Viva Las Vegas"?

Yup. It's an outtake from the sessions for 1992's Human Touch.

"Viva Las Vegas"
Recorded September 13-14, 1989 at One On One Studio, North Hollywood. Bruce handles guitar and vocals and his 3-man backing band on this recording is Bob Glaub (bass), Ian McLagan (keyboards) and Jeff Porcaro (drums). First released in the UK in February 1990 on the Last Temptation Of Elvis charity album.

Brucebase - Human Touch - Studio Sessions
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/Human+Touch+-+Studio+Sessions

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Does anybody know Bruce's studio version of "Viva Las Vegas"?

Yup. It's an outtake from the sessions for 1992's Human Touch.

"Viva Las Vegas"
Recorded September 13-14, 1989 at One On One Studio, North Hollywood. Bruce handles guitar and vocals and his 3-man backing band on this recording is Bob Glaub (bass), Ian McLagan (keyboards) and Jeff Porcaro (drums). First released in the UK in February 1990 on the Last Temptation Of Elvis charity album.

Brucebase - Human Touch - Studio Sessions
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/Human+Touch+-+Studio+Sessions


Thanks for the info, Doc! ::rocks

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:28 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks for the info, Doc! ::rocks

Always happy to help.

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Rockin_John wrote:Was Elvis afraid to let his feelings show?

Signs of the zodiac.

Tony is a Capricorn, a leader of men
And he has a kinda stubborn streak
But when it comes to the opposite sex
Tony's kinda shy and weak
Oh but he can be hot stuff
See the look on his face

"Often, the Capricorn is in actuality sensitive and shy, but goes to great lengths to hide these characteristics. The Capricorn's pride can become a source of great suffering."
http://voices.yahoo.com/signs-zodiac-ca ... 02415.html

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:45 pm

midnightx wrote:One can assume that Bruce is going to tackle a Born In The USA anniversary in the same fashion as Born To Run and Darkness. We'll probably be hearing a lot of this USA vault material in an expansive set. With Bruce's ambivalence about the album, he'll most likely embrace the chance to tell the true history of a misunderstood album and period in his life and career.


Well, with the declining CD retail climate as it is, blah blah blah, it really wouldn't be feasible in this day and age
to be releasing cd's with vintage material on it, due to the declining market. blah blah blah.

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:26 pm

I was fortunate enough to see Springsteen back in 1992 or 93 in Toronto... I think it was just after Human Touch/Lucky Town albums came out. He played at the Skydome... but it was partitioned off to only accomodate about 12,000 fans. He easily did 3 and a half hours including about 8 encores. The most memorable part of the show for me (aside from when he played Hungry Heart) had to be when he dove into the crowd during Leap of Faith... that was awesome! I've seen a lot of live shows in my life but that was far and away the best.

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Rockin_John wrote:Far from Elvis' version, it makes me think... Was Elvis afraid to let his feelings show?


It was for a film. If you listen to outtake chatter on the G.I. Blues sessions, Elvis is told to stop snapping his fingers! ("Beg your humble forgiveness," Elvis retorts sarcastically.)

Elvis didn't have "the right" to "the things that come to them in dreams." He did pretty good, considering!

rjm (boy, I'd love a chance to talk to Bruce: play him Elvis interviews and other things he likely never heard - would blow his mind)

Re: Great Springsteen Follow That Dream Live Performance

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:56 am

rjm wrote:
Rockin_John wrote:Far from Elvis' version, it makes me think... Was Elvis afraid to let his feelings show?

It was for a film. If you listen to outtake chatter on the G.I. Blues sessions, Elvis is told to stop snapping his fingers! ("Beg your humble forgiveness," Elvis retorts sarcastically.)
Elvis didn't have "the right" to "the things that come to them in dreams." He did pretty good, considering!
rjm (boy, I'd love a chance to talk to Bruce: play him Elvis interviews and other things he likely never heard - would blow his mind)



I wasn't refering to the particular song in my reply :wink:
It's strange how a man can loose sight of his own fate. Why record stuff (even apart from the moviesongs) that you do not believe in?

Sure, "he did pretty good, considering" :D

I wonder how Felton felt, beeing a producer of this low quality material at times.