Here you can also post any related video's of Elvis too, except impersonator video's where they imitate Elvis' voice of material he recorded.

Elvis Tribute at Liberty Bowl 1977

Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:24 am

Here is the entire Halftime Festivities of the 1977 Liberty Bowl College Football game played in Memphis on December 19, 1977. It aired live on ABC TV and the sportcaster is Keith Jackson.
It features performances by Opera star Marguerite Piazza and the late Roy Orbison.
it also features some rarely seen photos as far as I can tell.
Running time is about 9 minutes.
Some may have seen this before, but this is from a tape that was recorded as it happened by me. It is nicer quality than I have seen floating around.

I hope you enjoy this.

It will be available for a short time only

phpBB [video]

Last edited by Greybeard on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis Tribute at Liberty Bowl 1977

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:18 pm

Never seen or heard of this before Greybeard - thanks a lot for sharing it. Watching it I can't help thinking of all that going on for our guy just months after he'd gone - we forget now but it must have been totally shocking when he departed.

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:26 pm

Very cool clip there George. Thanks for posting it

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:34 pm

Loved it, thanks Greybeard.

Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:56 pm

That was.... weird!
The old man explaining memphians who Elvis was, and Roy only singing a couple of secs here and there?

Never seen that before.
Thanks for posting!

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:10 pm

Greybeard wrote:Here is the entire Halftime Festivities of the 1977 Liberty Bowl College Football game played in Memphis on December 19, 1977. It aired live on ABC TV and the sportcaster is Keith Jackson.
It features performances by Opera star Marguerite Piazza and the late Roy Orbison.
it also features some rarely seen photos as far as I can tell.
Running time is about 9 minutes.

Looks like only about 5:00 is appearing on the site -- but I really enjoyed seeing this. It was only four months since we lost him, the shock was still new. it appears a Feb '77 photo is part of the montage.

The ABC-TV director somehow failed to include even a second of Roy during "Don't Be Cruel" -- how odd! The rhythm section look quite young and very cold. Just for those who might be confused -- the fellow between Orbison and Piazza is not Keith Jackson -- his name is Archie Reynolds. Maybe he was a representative from North Carolina.

Thanks again, Greybeard!

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:42 pm

Good catch Doc- i posted late and forgot about the 5 minute limitation. I have uploaded it to YouTube (something I don't like to do) and will leave it viewable in, its entirety, via this link for a short time only

phpBB [video]

Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:23 am

My goodness! The last four minutes were even more spectacular! One imagines that maybe Vernon watched the broadcast, if not the rest of the family.

It is interesting that the non-standard photos shown of Elvis in concert derive from Dec '75 to Feb '77 -- the producers had to have tapped into a fan's personal collection.

Incidentally, Nebraska pulled out the victory, winning 21 to 17 over North Carolina.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:40 am

Elvis apparently never realized how much he was loved. This tribute is almost enough to bring a tear to the eye.

It certainly would have in December 1977.

Thank you, Greybeard.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:01 pm

This is fantastic.

And the sound of the crowd when they play part of "American Trilogy", wow, that's amazing.

And only 2 years before that he was at this venue to see one of the games :(

Thanks Greybeard, it was new to me.

Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:13 am

That was great. Thank you for sharing.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:11 am

Incredible, thanks again Greybeard! Boy, did Keith Jackson have some great words to say about our boy or what, and that ovation at the end, truly amazing and well-deserved!

Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:10 pm

Thanks so much for posting that greybeard.
A lovely tribute Thanks again.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:42 pm

Very,very nice Greybeard thank you for sharing!!

Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:07 am

Thanks for sharing, weird that they hardly show Roy singing though!