Here you can also post any related video's of Elvis too, except impersonator video's where they imitate Elvis' voice of material he recorded.

Sam Phillips drunk or high?

Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:55 pm

I found this video in which Sam is actually not saying much....just mumbling, it lasts for 6 min though...
Don`t know if he`s drunk or high....but something is sure wrong with the man....I think

phpBB [video]

Re: Sam Phillips drunk or high?

Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:49 am

Drunk on music and high on life.

I think Phillips was just stringing Letterman along -- a host known for his empty interviews. Sam was, is and shall remain a shrewd and very cunning man.

Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:40 pm

Well...you can't blame Letterman for getting an empty interview here when your guest is drunk as a skunk. Dave tries to get the interview going by talking about the Sun days and the sound he created...but Sam was not having any of it. He's barely keeping his head up. Dave is a strong interviewer compared to the likes of Leno.

If people want strong, in-depth interviews don't knock late night shows who's only purpose is to entertain and promote products/movies--there's always Charlie Rose, Tavis Smiley or Barbara Walters there for a more in-depth interview.

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:10 pm

IMETJB wrote:Well...you can't blame Letterman for getting an empty interview here when your guest is drunk as a skunk. Dave tries to get the interview going by talking about the Sun days and the sound he created...but Sam was not having any of it. He's barely keeping his head up.

If he's "drunk as a skunk", why does he have perfect posture when standing up, and why does he sit down gracefully? He's not "barely keeping his head up". He's very lucid and engaged. I think he was just stringing him along, honestly.

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:25 pm

Sam was nobody's fool.

I think he worked out a way to avoid all those "Do you regret selling Elvis' contract ?" type of things that he'd answered a thousand times already.

And it worked !

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:52 pm

Hey Colin...if thats the reason...why on earth did he agree to do the interview then..? He`s on the show to talk about "The SUN days", what else could be asked of him to talk about...I just wonder :?
And it`s obvious from the pics that comes up, that Elvis is the subbject in this interview.....don`t you think, that Sam was prepared for what it was all about before he entered the studio?

Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:00 pm

elvisa wrote:Hey Colin...if thats the reason...why on earth did he agree to do the interview then..? He`s on the show to talk about "The SUN days", what else could be asked of him to talk about...I just wonder :?
And it`s obvious from the pics that comes up, that Elvis is the subbject in this interview.....don`t you think, that Sam was prepared for what it was all about before he entered the studio?

Maybe he had second thoughts in the hospitality room...............

Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:06 pm

Yea Colin....or maybe he got paid very well, just to show up.....could be :wink:

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:04 am

Sam is certainly not at his best and under the influence of something - regardless of the interviewer
rick

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:25 pm

ColinB wrote:Sam was nobody's fool.

I think he worked out a way to avoid all those "Do you regret selling Elvis' contract ?" type of things that he'd answered a thousand times already.

And it worked !

Exactly. He didn't want, nor need, PR for himself or Presley. Their efforts speak for themselves, and rather than whore himself out and take part in the usual self-promotional nonsense that underpins 99% of all television interviews, Sam took the high ground and gave a very clever, very funny performance.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:27 am

Why don't people give Elvis the benifit of the doubt Sam is getting here? Afterall was every off night he had due to pills? I doubt it.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:12 pm

Mike Eder wrote:Why don't people give Elvis the benifit of the doubt Sam is getting here?
After all was every off night he had due to pills?
I doubt it.

Well, yeah, good point !

But I don't see this as Sam on an 'off' night.

More like Sam on top form !

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:02 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
ColinB wrote:Sam was nobody's fool.

And it worked !

Exactly. He didn't want, nor need, PR for himself or Presley. Their efforts speak for themselves, and rather than whore himself out and take part in the usual self-promotional nonsense that underpins 99% of all television interviews, Sam took the high ground and gave a very clever, very funny performance.

:smt045 Great posts both. I totally agree.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:29 am

The Friday, May 16, 1986 "Late Night with David Letterman" broadcast which includes Sam's appearance is hilarious, and a little odd.

Sam has clearly imbibed, to say the least. The more Letterman tries to keep the interview on track, such as discussing the famous "Million Dollar Quartet" jam session, the more Phillips wants to push it off the rails.

God knows what Sam was doing in New York that Friday afternoon, but he was obviously interested in just having fun.

One thing that clip does not include is, at the program's close, Letterman runs down his guest list, and mentions Sam again, and a camera in the green room shows him just lurking around.

Remember what Jerry Lee once said about all of those who cut records at SUN in the 1950s -- "we're all as nutty as squirrels."

Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:01 am

I agree with most posters including Doc...but SAM PHILLIPS deserves respect (as much) if not more than Elvis himself! So sad clip to me.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:11 pm

Juan Luis wrote:I agree with most posters including Doc...but SAM PHILLIPS deserves respect (as much) if not more than Elvis himself! So sad clip to me.

Nah, it's not sad at all. Sam may have been two sheets to the wind, but it was by choice. He wasn't interested in being anything but squirrely with Letterman. He succeeded!

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:16 pm

On the two occasions I interviewed Sam he was eloquent, engaging and not at all reluctant to tell the Sun/Elvis story.