Here you can also post any related video's of Elvis too, except impersonator video's where they imitate Elvis' voice of material he recorded.

Colonel Parker ABC NightLine 87' Interview

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:54 pm

I've never seen this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Djd2bmm6nWE&NR=1

Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:26 pm

Thanks for posting.

I was hoping someone was going to post this on youtube, I haven't seen the whole interview myself either, only saw a little blurb on the ABC Special Viva Las Vegas for the first time.

PEP 8)

Re: Colonel Parker ABC NightLine 87' Interview

Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:46 am

IMETJB wrote:I've never seen this.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Djd2bmm6nWE&NR=1

Interesting ...

Thanks!

Rich

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:22 am

Quite an interesting experiance. That's teh first time I saw him talk for more than few seconds.
Thanks for sharing

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:59 pm

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:17 pm

Great job, IMETJB..

So many questions unanswered, but still interesting.
The foreign accent is pretty obvious, and the old man has lost a lot of his charisma on this footage.

Some time ago another clip was shown on youtube (can't find it unfortunately)

Parker was asked about the 50/50 split.
The old bastard answered he never took 50%!

He didn't lie, but did forget to mention he threatened Elvis with a multi million dollar bill, should they ever separate.
The 50/50 deal was there, but due to financial problems, the Colonel didn't take it yet.
As a result it became more difficult to get rid of the old man as time passed by..

"Nobody forced Elvis to do anything"
True in a way, but as his manager, it was also his job to implement an ambitious careerplanning.
The Colonel failed to do so many times, besides putting Elvis on the map in the 50's of course.

Finally, his comment about Elvis wanting more gigs..
This mainly happened between October'74 & March'75.
Elvis had a 5(!) month break as far as touring was concerned.
Besides the March Las Vegas shows, no tours were planned.
A Jackson benefit concert was finally an excuse to organize a full Spring'75 tour, and sadly things went on as usual.. until the very end.

Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:44 am

Robert wrote:Great job, IMETJB..

So many questions unanswered, but still interesting.
The foreign accent is pretty obvious, Yes I noticed this too, especially at the very end of the interview and the old man has lost a lot of his charisma on this footage. Hmm, well yes and know in my opinion, I still found Parker to be fairly smart tho.

Some time ago another clip was shown on youtube (can't find it unfortunately) Yea, it's too bad, that one is gone, however I'm sure it will come back in another form.

Parker was asked about the 50/50 split.
The old bastard answered he never took 50%!

He didn't lie, but did forget to mention he threatened Elvis with a multi million dollar bill, should they ever separate.
The 50/50 deal was there, but due to financial problems, the Colonel didn't take it yet.
As a result it became more difficult to get rid of the old man as time passed by.. I agreed with you assessment.

"Nobody forced Elvis to do anything"
True in a way, but as his manager, it was also his job to implement an ambitious careerplanning.
The Colonel failed to do so many times, besides putting Elvis on the map in the 50's of course. Again I agree with this, Parker was out of touch, the 68' Comeback was a good example of this, since it was Parker who wanted Elvis to do a Christmas Special instead up what really ended up happening because of Binder, still Parker did bring Elvis to the fore front through Vegas and then of course through the early tours, Elvis was more important to the 70's Rock scene for those early tours then the critics give Elvis and Parker credit for.

Finally, his comment about Elvis wanting more gigs..
This mainly happened between October'74 & March'75.
Elvis had a 5(!) month break as far as touring was concerned.
Besides the March Las Vegas shows, no tours were planned.
A Jackson benefit concert was finally an excuse to organize a full Spring'75 tour, and sadly things went on as usual. until the very end. Again true, in what you say, but ultimately it was Elvis who had control over his destiny, it was really him who had the choice to continue doing what he was doing or to shut it down and sit back an think about the future.

I found the story Parker mentions in regards to the Oscar very interesting, in one way he was right and of course in one way he was not, he was all about the money today not tomorrow, with respect to Parkers thoughts on Elvis appearing on Carson and other TV shows of the time I also found this fairly interesting to hear. I just wonder which stars he was talking about who found it hard getting hired after appearing on TV.