Here you can also post any related video's of Elvis too, except impersonator video's where they imitate Elvis' voice of material he recorded.

Madison Square Garden in depth footage discussion.

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:18 pm

As I promised here is a break down of all MSG footage so far available, and what may be hidden in some obscure place or other :D

OPENING SHOW

First of all we have pro footage recorded by ABC from Elvis' left hand side, the footage released so far amounts to around six minutes, the complete film is said to be approximatelly 20 minutes, this would coincide with the length of one 16mm reel.
There is also a camera positioned on stage left, there are a number of roumers concerning this camera, the first being that the camera broadcast the show to all those who were watching from suites in the Garden, another idea is that the Colonel filmed the show for his own private use, similar to feb. 1970
Now, depending which idea we believe will influence the length of the footage, if MSG shot the show for the people in suites the footage should last that of the complete show.
If however the Colonel filmed it, the length may be less, although sources say he filmed 3 complete shows in 1970. Maybe he did the same here, who knows?
Here is a picture showing the camera I am talking about.
The third angle of footage that is available from the opening show is the film of Jonas Mekas, the ledgendary film maker. What we have available is a few short minutes of the show heavily edited and sped up to add "effect" The film was shown at the Vienna film festival some years ago. It is likely that the whole film is longer than that which has been released because of the scope of the show recorded. Although that is ofcourse uncertain. It has been suggested that this was filmed on a mobile pro camera. It would be fairly easy to check by contacting Jonas Through his agents.
Take a look at this shot of the footage.
As you can see, the quality is excellent, due to the fact that we have the first generation source available and the actual device used was probably state of the art due to Jonas' occupation and background. The runtime of the film that has been released is 3 minutes.

June 10th 2.30 Show

Lets move on to the next show. The first angle I'll introduce you to is one from stage right, an angle that is rarely seen, although the quality is pretty good. As always, here is a screen shot.
This angle lasts approx 4.30 mins. We dont have this 8mm footage from the origional source at the moment so I have no idea if this is all the footage from this angle or how much better the quality is of the origional.
I've been working on enhancing the footage from MSG, I'll post some later, then you'll be able to make an informed decision about the quality of the origional.

In the mean time, lets move swiftly on to the next angle from this show. To start off with, here's a snap.
Oh look its that camera again ! Both theories about who used the camera still hold water here, its just interesting to see that its there again
Heres another shot showing only Elvis
This footage was filmed by the photographer Bob Heis, and his footage has been released from the source quite a lot, so I can only assume that the equipment used to transfer the film was sumstandard as I would expect Bob Heis film to be a little better quality than this, the footage seems somewhat washed in terms of colour.
Ok, so thats the 2.30 show over and done with, you can find this footage on a number of DVD's. If you want the whole concert experience, sound and all, I'd reccomend Elvis Rocking The Garden bear in mind it does not contain the first angle though.

June 10th 8.30 Show

The final show I'm going to talk to you about is the 8.30 show, get ready for a lot of angles :D

First of all it's the conventional angle that most of us are familliar with
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x236/devilsandthedetails/camerashot1-1.png
Unsuprisingly ther's the stage camera we've been talking about before. Now we know that at least 3 of the 4 MSG shows were filmed in full or in part by person X.
Interestingly in this angle somebody has braught out the colour of Elvis' suit a little too much and has inadvertantly made Elvis' face glow red. Which is a shame. But fear not the footage I have been working on now makes Elvis' face look much more natural. More on that later. In terms of quality it looks as if the film has been taken from close to the source as the detail is quite impressive, to me at least.

Over to angle 2 - Here's a screen shot.
This angle starts from near to the end of the show but is really great to see, Elvis' face is really clear and is a joy to watch. The only real downside is that it's quite short.

Angle 3 - Is again pretty short, and is from a VHS source, you can see that from the tell tale horizontal bands that run through the film. It is however extremely rare, which adds to the enjoyment of watching it.
For your viewing pleasure here's a snapshot.
In comparison to the 1st angle discussed this looks pretty similar, I might go as far as saying it was filmed by the same person. On the other hand the quality is slightly different, so I might be wrong.

Angle 4- This is the only angle from MSG that was filmed from behind Elvis, and is pretty short and of low quality so perhaps it is fitting that it is at the end. Take a look.
Like angle three it is from a VHS source, which accounts for the bad quality. I think thats all, no, wait, I'll give you a quick bonus;

Bonus Angle - This one only lasts a couple of seconds, which is a pitty because its very reasonable for 8mm. Here it is,

So there we are, all the MSG angles for you to ponder over. I hope you've found out something new.
All replies will be appreciated.Thanks.
Last edited by omnipresence on Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:22 pm

Thanks Omni - interesting stuff. And that camera at the side is an intriguing question.

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:26 pm

You're welcome, if it was filmed by MSG then its probably in some archive, and still possible to be seen by the public. If the Colonel recorded it on the other hand, then EPE could have it and going off past experiences, its unlikely we'll ever see it.

Re: Madison Square Garden in depth footage discussion.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:56 pm

This 8mm was just sold on ebay :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:45 pm

He Robbie, how was this footage?? Only a couple of seconds or minutes??
Love to see MSG released on the best way DVD/CD/BOOK combo would be great.
Grt. Michel.

::rocks

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:55 pm

kaatje wrote:He Robbie, how was this footage?? Only a couple of seconds or minutes??
Grt. Michel.

it was a 3 min reel :wink:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0993723845

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:11 pm

robbie wrote:
kaatje wrote:He Robbie, how was this footage?? Only a couple of seconds or minutes??
Grt. Michel.

it was a 3 min reel :wink:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0993723845

He Robbie.
Thnxs for letting me know.
I've looked at the ebay link.
looks promising.
Who bought it, you did?????
Is it really unreleased???
Grt. Michel

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:51 pm

No didnt buy but i wjsh i had now, yes its all unseen footage :shock:

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:12 pm

Ok thnxs for letting me know.
I hope to see it a.s.a.p
Maybe on youtube or a bootleg DVD.
Grt. Michel