Here you can also post any related video's of Elvis too, except impersonator video's where they imitate Elvis' voice of material he recorded.

1981 Gutar Man remix video

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:22 am

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uAdiqo1FJ0c

Quite enjoyable

Re: 1981 Gutar Man remix video

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:19 pm

I must say that they did a very good job with that number back in 1981. :smt023 :smt023

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:54 pm

IMO that`s a Star Videos clip..released a year or so ago....can´t remember the title..

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:20 pm

Thanks for posting, Narek! I believe I have seen this before, but thanks for posting this link.

However, each time I hear a remix from the Guitar Man Sessions or any of these recent remixes I can’t help but think about the number of original music Elvis made, about the numerous outtakes of original music that we have. Why on earth do we need these remixes? If you can’t find enough feelings in the music Elvis made himself with his band you don’t have be an Elvis fan.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:30 pm

Russian fan wrote:Why on earth do we need these remixes? If you can’t find enough feelings in the music Elvis made himself with his band you don’t have be an Elvis fan.

I think they're just a spot of fun. The original "Guitar Man" recording, complete with "What'd I Say" outro, is superb.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:39 pm

I really don't like this remix.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:07 am

i have always loved it

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:24 am

This re-mix was the "a little less conversation" of its day.
It got huge radio play. I heard it nearly everyday for weeks and it became a charted hit single here in the states.

It works for several reasons. For one, the very distinction of replacing the acoustic guitar with electric really works for this song. And the un-edted ending for this song back in 1981 was quite a revelation to many of us fans.
And as Sammy Davis Jr. might say, "It's cooks, man".

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:03 am

I love this version! What rocks is that they brought Jerry Reed back in to do the guitar work. Besides James Burton, Jerry has always been one of my favorite guitarists.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:18 am

Russian fan wrote:Thanks for posting, Narek! I believe I have seen this before, but thanks for posting this link.

However, each time I hear a remix from the Guitar Man Sessions or any of these recent remixes I can’t help but think about the number of original music Elvis made, about the numerous outtakes of original music that we have. Why on earth do we need these remixes? If you can’t find enough feelings in the music Elvis made himself with his band you don’t have be an Elvis fan.

So how do you feel about songs like "Surrender" ?
Elvis never sang it as it was released in one take, like many of his songs it was a spliced Master created by engineers, who in effect were the third party creating something from other things Elvis had recorded. A bit like todays re-mixers.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:40 pm

Steve_M wrote:So how do you feel about songs like "Surrender" ?
Elvis never sang it as it was released in one take, like many of his songs it was a spliced Master created by engineers, who in effect were the third party creating something from other things Elvis had recorded. A bit like todays re-mixers.

I feel great about it because it was Elvis who approved this. It was he who recorded that ending that fitted the arrangement of the original. From the same point I feel fine about the recordings of The Beatles and Led Zeppelin who recorded songs layer after layer.

Here’s what wikipedia says about remixes
“A remix is an alternative version of a song, different from the original version. A remixer uses audio mixing to compose an alternate master recording of a song, adding or subtracting elements, or simply changing the equalization, dynamics, pitch, tempo, playing time, or almost any other aspect of the various musical components. Some remixes involve substantial changes to the arrangement of a recorded work, but many are subtle, such as creating a "vocal up" version of an album cut that emphasizes the lead singer's voice. A song may be remixed to give a song that wasn't popular a second chance at radio and club play, or to alter a song to suit a specific music genre or radio format. Remixes should not be confused with edits, which usually involve shortening a final stereo master for marketing purposes.”

Here’s what wikipedia says about splicing:
“Tape editing is performed simply by cutting the tape at the required point, and rejoining it to another section of tape using adhesive tape, or sometimes glue. This is called a splice.”

I think that you misunderstand the difference between a remix and a splice.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:48 pm

Russian fan wrote:I think that you misunderstand the difference between a remix and a splice.

I believe you.
But you are wrong to think that.

also, wikipedia doesn't say anything at all, people say it via that forum of info.

You will find much more accurate info on this MB about remixing and remastering.

Elvis didn't approve all his releases either. Where did you glean such information? wikipedia or worse?

A remix is an alternative version of a song, different from the original version. A remixer uses audio mixing to compose an alternate master recording of a song, adding or subtracting elements, or simply changing the equalization, dynamics, pitch, tempo, playing time, or almost any other aspect of the various musical components.

Overdubs would fall under that category if we take the original version of a song being the one recorded in the studio at the time.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:03 am

Steve_M wrote:Elvis didn't approve all his releases either. Where did you glean such information? wikipedia or worse?

You were talking about Surrender. I believe he liked the result. And I won't make any surprise if I say that I dislike many of the songs that he did not approve. But this is a question of taste. I guess I would have been more accurate if I said that no matter whether Elvis liked it or not (but I guess in most cases he did) this was the arrangement he himself was working with. This was not a work done by someone else.

Steve_M wrote:Overdubs would fall under that category if we take the original version of a song being the one recorded in the studio at the time.

I believe that the original version is the version that first appears on a LP or CD - for example A Hundred Years From Now on Walk A Mile In My Shoes box set is the original version. In these terms you are wrong.

Besides that if you read my previous post I said that I have nothing against recording songs layer after layer and I even said why. I guess that horn overdubs prior song's release can be considered a layer after layer recording. With the original tracks recorded live in the studio considered as one layer (more accurately – different layers if recorded on separate tracks) and the horn layer (or maybe string layer) as the other one.

If you understand the differences between a splice, overdub and a remix – I don’t see why you keep mixing up these terms in your posts. Adding the info from wikipedia –which is pretty accurate in this case in my opinion – was only to highlight the difference between the terms.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:58 am

If you say Elvis approved Surrender that's fine, i just never heard that and wanted to know where you gleaned the information from as I kow he didn't approve all of the finished results of all of his songs.

I understand a spliced master to be the creation of a master recording from 2 or more different sources.
Your explaination of a splice was to say how it was joined together.

A splice is a creation made at another time to the original recording.

You believe the original recording to be that which ends up on the record or CD.

I believe that to be the orignal release, not the orignal recording.