Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:33 pm

The only regret I have for the new Royal Philarmonic Christmas Elvis release is that the only original Christmas song ever recorded by Elvis (1966) If Every Day Was Like Christmas was not used in it. Was there a technical problem involved? Was it because Red West the composer was among the members of the Memphis Mafia banned from Graceland? This is an amazing beautiful song! What a missed opportunity. :( What do you think?

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:47 pm

Totally agree.

It is my favourite Christmas song by Elvis and should have been included.

Andy

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:49 pm

jetblack on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:47 pm wrote:Totally agree.

It is my favourite Christmas song by Elvis and should have been included.

Andy



Thanks Andy, good to know I'm not the only one.

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Me too, I really miss this beautiful Xmas song on the RPO album. It would surely fit with the RPO....

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:43 pm

I love the original, one of my all time favorite Xmas songs if not my favorite 8)

Thank you Red and Elvis!

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:12 pm

Tornado on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am wrote:The only regret I have for the new Royal Philarmonic Christmas Elvis release is that the only original Christmas song ever recorded by Elvis (1966) If Every Day Was Like Christmas was not used in it. Was there a technical problem involved? Was it because Red West the composer was among the members of the Memphis Mafia banned from Graceland? This is an amazing beautiful song! What a missed opportunity. :( What do you think?



The producers may have felt the material was not commercial enough for the project.

Also, Elvis cut several original holiday songs:

1957
Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me)
Santa Claus Is Back In Town

1966
If Every Day Was Like Christmas

1971
It Won't Seem Like Christmas (Without You)
If I Get Home on Christmas Day
Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees
I'll Be Home on Christmas Day
On A Snowy Christmas Night
The Wonderful World of Christmas

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:48 pm

drjohncarpenter on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:12 pm wrote:
Tornado on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am wrote:The only regret I have for the new Royal Philarmonic Christmas Elvis release is that the only original Christmas song ever recorded by Elvis (1966) If Every Day Was Like Christmas was not used in it. Was there a technical problem involved? Was it because Red West the composer was among the members of the Memphis Mafia banned from Graceland? This is an amazing beautiful song! What a missed opportunity. :( What do you think?



The producers may have felt the material was not commercial enough for the project.

Also, Elvis cut several original holiday songs:

1957
Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me)
Santa Claus Is Back In Town

1966
If Every Day Was Like Christmas

1971
It Won't Seem Like Christmas (Without You)
If I Get Home on Christmas Day
Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees
I'll Be Home on Christmas Day
On A Snowy Christmas Night
The Wonderful World of Christmas


Right other songs were originals, still a missed opportunity IMO.

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Perhaps a volume 2 is/was planned? I know there are mixed feelings on the RPO releases, but I would like to hear what they may have done to this track (for better or worse!)

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 pm

I'm not into the duet's and the alterning of original recordings of any artist. To me, If Every Day Was Like Christmas it is perfect in it's original release. So no use to go that extra mile with adding a symphony Orchestra. Maybe the best and most underated Elvis christmas song ever.

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:47 pm

Yeah the album feels very uncomplete to be honest

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:20 am

I'm sure If Every Day Was Like Christmas would have been a fine addition to Christmas with Elvis and the RPO. But this is such a good song and Elvis really got to the emotional core of some quite serious lyrics. It's a Christmas song, but without a real yuletide flavour. Which isn't to any detriment, but the nature of the lyrics are pleading and sombre. With the mood quite strern. In some ways, it's almost akin to If I Can Dream in this respect.

Elvis sings well here, of course. With broad facets of his virtuosity on full display. Although his voice sounds a bit thick in places. But the arrangement and overall production is just excellent. From the female choral section that imitates the chiming of bells, to the rumbling of drums that are underlying in the first verse and the male backing singers who add a real warmth as the song swells into those marvellous choruses. There's some lovely soprano singing, too, and just a slight Hawaiian flavour with the steel guitar that glides in-and-out as the song progresses. It's such a fantastic recording and a real favourite of mine among Elvis`s Christmas music.

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:16 am

TINML on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:43 pm wrote:I love the original, one of my all time favorite Xmas songs if not my favorite 8)

Thank you Red and Elvis!


I agree. Don´t like the RPO releases...so doesn´t bother me.

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:46 pm

My regret is the grammatical errors in pop music. It should be If Everyday WERE like Christmas. Subjunctive.

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:33 pm

kink56 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:46 am wrote:My regret is the grammatical errors in pop music. It should be If Everyday WERE like Christmas. Subjunctive.


Well, if you're gonna go down that avenue then we'd have: "You are not anything but a hound dog." That just doesn't work. :wink: :)

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:38 pm

kink56 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:46 pm wrote:My regret is the grammatical errors in pop music. It should be If Everyday WERE like Christmas. Subjunctive.


Well, you can take solace in the fact Elvis never sings those words in the song. One of those weird occasions when the title of the song never appears in the lyrics.

Drjohncarpenter wrote:
The producers may have felt the material was not commercial enough for the project.


This makes no sense considering these albums have sold better in the UK than elsewhere, and the song reached the top ten here.

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Scarre on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:16 pm wrote:
TINML on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:43 pm wrote:I love the original, one of my all time favorite Xmas songs if not my favorite 8)

Thank you Red and Elvis!

I agree. Don´t like the RPO releases...so doesn´t bother me.

I sometimes listen to Elvis Radio on XM. Whenever they put on that RPO garbage, I can't get it over to Willie's Roadhouse fast enough.

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:07 pm

Pete Dube on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:33 am wrote:
kink56 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:46 am wrote:My regret is the grammatical errors in pop music. It should be If Everyday WERE like Christmas. Subjunctive.


Well, if you're gonna go down that avenue then we'd have: "You are not anything but a hound dog." That just doesn't work. :wink: :)

That is different because it is well known that is not proper grammar and the writers knew it. They were speaking in a particular vernacular. I really doubt if Red West even knew what a subjunctive was.

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:02 am

Rebel Yell wrote: Maybe the best and most underated Elvis christmas song ever.

Well, it is part of Elvis' biggest selling album of all-time, so it's very well known.


kink56 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:46 am wrote:My regret is the grammatical errors in pop music. It should be If Everyday WERE like Christmas. Subjunctive.

Shouldn't "were" be used only if the title read as - If All Days Were Like Christmas (with "Days" being plural)?

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:21 am

Possibly his greatest ever Christmas song, certainly one of them anyway, and penned by his pal Red West. It really does show how determined The King was to produce top notch recordings again in 1966 after a brief spell of soundtracks only. Another chestnut from the beginning of The Comeback, fantastic stuff.

Here is Red's original version of the song... and to be fair to him, he sounds more like Elvis than most impersonators:

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:37 pm

I was very disappointed when I read it wouldn't be included in this third RPO opus. For me it's the most successful Christmas song of Elvis even though it didn't get the recognition it deserved back in 1966. Happily, as usual, british fans made it a top ten hit and I remember how thrilled I was listening to the weekly charts on Radio Luxembourg, the place where I was sure to hear that magnificent song.
That makes Carpenter's argument completely obsolete and the non-inclusion of the song on the RPO album even more incomprehensible since the RPO productions have definitely their best sales in Great Britain. Maybe it has to do with the sound : too polished compared with the brilliant but somewhat rough mono recordings of 1957 and too bright compared with the (for me) disappointing recordings of 1971. Hard Rocker is completely right : back then, when If Everyday Was Like Christmas followed the gorgeous Love Letters, me and my Elvis fans friends felt like Elvis was on his way back to quality recordings. Indescribably blue, the gospel album How great thou art, Big boss man, Guitar man, US Male... were to follow and we were mighty thrilled with that royal, although not smash hits, string of great songs.

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:44 pm

I wonder why Elvis never sang US Male and Guitar Man in concert in the 1969-1977 years.

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:53 pm

There was only so many songs that he could play and these did not make the A list. But I agree that it would've been good to hear them live. I'm not the biggest Burton fan around but stylistically he could've made a decent stab at Jerry Reed's virtuoso pickin'.

On a similar note, Big Boss Man did make the set later on, although it's fair to say that the studio cut is the go-to version,

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:46 pm

You would of thought they would have included this track purely to cover all decades. ( the only one of the sixties ) It would have made sense. I agree, it's a great track.

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:07 pm

They missed a lot of tricks back in those days, but in fairness big road tours with extended sets, etc. were really only starting to come into their own in the 1970's. Elvis, in a sense, was from an earlier era, where a bit of banter and humor was the norm as part of a shorter show. All that was changing.

If you could imagine it today, Elvis might have 3 or 4 costume changes, maybe a designated 50's /60's small band set played with integrity, a full light show, dancers, etc. To be honest, I often wonder did he realise what his music meant for so many people. In a sense, his remarkable charisma was a drawback as it took the focus off the music and allowed him to get away with things few other artists could ever dream of getting away with! But despite all that, he still left an incredible legacy. Plenty there to enjoy and there can be few complaints when it's all added up.

Re: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:17 pm

In the past I think the fans only had binoculars to see Elvis in the big arenas like Houston, Astrodome, MSG, or Pontiac, Michigan. Now there are so many big screens and special effects.