Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Paul McCartney digs Elvis 1965

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:39 pm

With a religious song recorded in 1960. And with a mediocre LP that RCA don't wanted to release a single from it.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:47 pm

jurasic1968 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm wrote:With a religious song recorded in 1960. And with a mediocre LP that RCA don't wanted to release a single from it.

I see your Christmas joy has kicked in.

Don't be jealous, keep smiling. :)

Andy

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:47 pm

jetblack on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:26 pm wrote:
Mike Windgren on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm wrote:Dont forget "January 1965" when Roustabout lp hit the Nº1 spot on the Billboard chart! 8). That was a great achievement at the high of the "beatlemania" thing.... :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

And not forgetting being Number 1 for two weeks in 1965 also with 'Crying In The Chapel' right here in the UK where that foursome hailed from. :)

Number 1 on both sides of the Atlantic in 1965 - WOW!!!!!

Andy

Tickle Me was also a pretty cool movie from 1965. Elvis himselvis even mentioned it in praiseworthy terms in a 1972 interview. I really enjoy that movie. It's stood up well :)

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:54 pm

True. And in my opinion the 9 songs from Tickle Me were the best movie songs from the 60's. All of them were from the studio LP's (Elvis is Back, Something For Everybody, Pot Luck). I wonder now if Elvis could do the same thing in other movies. Instead of recording weak songs for one movie or another he could sing songs from his own catalogue.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:02 pm

Hard Rocker on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:51 pm wrote:
emjel on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm wrote:I’d hate to think what they would have said about "Kissin Cousins" or "Do The Clam". So please do not listen to this and think it is some kind of endorsement of 1965 Elvis. It ain’t.

Endorsement?!! :lol: The greatest endorsement made by The Beatles in 1965 was when they came to bend their knee at the foot of The King in August that year. They couldn't wait to meet him although as we all know, Presley wasn't that fussed. And, er, a long time fan like you should know that. :wink:

BINGO !

A long time fan knows that.

;)

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:07 pm

jetblack on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:26 am wrote:And not forgetting being Number 1 for two weeks in 1965 also with 'Crying In The Chapel' right here in the UK where that foursome hailed from. :)

Andy

"Crying In The Chapel" peaked at #3 on Billboard's "Hot 100" chart for 6-12-1965 and at #4 on the 6-26-1965 Cash Box "Top 100."

But, yes, it did make it spots higher in that secondary market. So many on both sides of the Atlantic in 1965 were hoping it was a new recording, and a turnaround from the music of the previous two or three years, including all four of the Beatles, who loved Elvis.

But it was neither.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:13 pm

goldbelt on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:02 pm wrote:
BINGO !

A long time fan knows that.

;)

Yip, Elvis looked particularly cool and Elvisy in that movie. A long time fan who was female would have particularly enjoyed it!

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:03 am

jeanno on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:52 am wrote:
Juan Luis on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 am wrote:
Hard Rocker on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:51 pm wrote:
emjel on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm wrote:I’d hate to think what they would have said about "Kissin Cousins" or "Do The Clam". So please do not listen to this and think it is some kind of endorsement of 1965 Elvis. It ain’t.

Endorsement?!! :lol: The greatest endorsement made by The Beatles in 1965 was when they came to bend their knee at the foot of The King in August that year. They couldn't wait to meet him although as we all know, Presley wasn't that fussed. And, er, a long time fan like you should know that. :wink:
Elvis was actually bored. :) :lol:

With all those recent mediocre / crap releases, Elvis should have been aware of the new music revolution instead of getting bored. It is clear that by 1965, he did not care any more. And while the rock scene was bringing incredible music (Satisfaction, Yesterday, Like a Rolling Stone, My Girl, Downtown, I Can't Help Myself, Turn Turn Turn, I Got You, etc.), The "King" was recording "Harum Scarum" and "Frankie & Johnny" (Petunia, the Gardener's Daughter included).

Instead of facing new challenges it was time for complacency, I guess.
Being THE KING, this new group high as a kite..(George talked about getting high on the way over) and fawning all over THE KING.. would have bored him a bit at the time.. I don't blame him. Satisfaction should of perked his Ears..but an old school Elvis probably could not stand Jagger's voice or how these crooked, bad teeth.. ugly ass (compared to Elvis) performers were getting the girls crazy! And "I Want To Hold Your Hand" was to Elvis LAME...cause Elvis was BABY LET'S PLAY SOME HOUSE around 10 years earlier! Been there ..done that! I want to hold your hand?! Really? For Reals?! Sheeeeet... :lol:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:22 am

emjel on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:49 am wrote:Mmmm. Well there still seems to be questions about how authentic this actually is. But that aside, the DJ or Macca if it is him basically only repeats the words spoken by Peter Asher. And like any radio station back then, Elvis was always on, especially the big 50s Hits. Note that the record played is Dont Be Cruel (a blast from the past) and NOT Do The Clam. And we know that all four Beatles acknowledge Elvis, so there is nothing really that cool about this.

Here is what they said in December 1963 when they were on Juke Box Jury and reviewed "Kiss Me Quick" which they were told was recorded a couple of year back.

Paul: What I don't like about Elvis are his songs. I like his voice. This song reminds me of Blackpool on a sunny day.

Ringo: Last two years Elvis has been going down the nick.

George: If he's going back to old tracks, why not release My Baby Left Me? It'd be a number one. Elvis is great, his songs are rubbish.

John: It'll be a hit because it’s Elvis. I like those hats with 'Kiss Me Quick' on.

I’d hate to think what they would have said about "Kissin Cousins" or "Do The Clam". So please do not listen to this and think it is some kind of endorsement of 1965 Elvis. It ain’t.

To add to this example, John Lennon appeared without the other 3 on the show on June 26, 1963, and one of the songs played that night was "(You're The) Devil In Disguise". The show only exists today on an off-air audio recording, and quite poor quality. In addition I only have the excerpts containing John Lennon. The "jurors" that night were apparently Lennon, Katie Boyle, Bruce Prochnik (who evidently doesn't speak on this excerpt) and Caroline Maudling. Here's my transcript of what was said:

David Jacobs (Host): Hey, that’s the man himself, mocking this guy. The song was “Devil In Disguise”, but now [unintelligible] because the fact it’s Elvis Presley. First:

Caroline Maudling: Well, I don’t really like Elvis Presley. Um, I know the other teenagers do but I don’t, I don’t like his voice. But uh, I like the beat of this record and I also like the um, well, the whole thing you know its nice beat. Nice beat and good (for us) to dance to but, well I don’t like it me self but I think I’ll [unintelligible word followed by either “it” or “hit”].

David Jacobs: You don’t like Elvis?

Caroline: No.

David Jacobs: Who in fact is your favorite?

Caroline: Weeeellll…. no one really. [Uninteligible] I like Brenda Lee a lot.

David Jacobs: [asks her to repeat as she kind of mumbles] You what?

Caroline: Brenda Lee is my favorite.

David Jacobs: Jolly good to Caroline.

Katie Boyle: Well I don’t think it’s nearly as good as some of his others, in fact I don’t think it’s good at all but I think, being a Presley record, he makes it.

David Jacobs: Thank you; John Lennon:

John Lennon: Well you know, I used to go mad on Elvis, like all the groups. But you know, not now. I don’t like it. And I hate songs with “walk” and “talk” in it, you know those-those-those lyrics: “she walks”, “she talks”. You know, don’t like that. And I don’t like the double-beating: “chucking like this” [Lennon is giving an example], awful. Uh, poor old Elvis.

[David Jacobs gives off a nervous laugh, followed by the audience doing the same]

David Jacobs: We’ll have need(s) for him.

John: Well I’ve got all of his early records you know, and I keep playing them thinking “let’s make another like this”, but somebody said today: “he sounds like Bing Crosby now”, and he does.

[Audience laughs]

John: You know there’s going to be people writing in now, I know there is.

David Jacobs(?): [in mock “Bing Crosby” voice] What do you mean?

[Audience laughs]

John: So, I don’t like him anymore.

David Jacobs: Thank you. Katie?

Katie Boyle: If he did sound like Bing Crosby would that be bad?

John: Well for Elvis, yes.

Katie: Oh.

[Audience laughter]

Can't say I necessarily agree with John much on this, although as much as I do like "Devil In Disguise" it isn't the finest song to come out of him, or even from the 1963 Nashville sessions for that matter.

EDIT NOTE: Thanks to drjohncarpenter actually doing what I should have realized: that if something has to do with The Beatles someone else has probably already done the research on it and you don't need to do the gruntwork yourself :facep: , he has posted a corrected and more accurate transcription below. Please check it out. My point still stands however.
Last edited by MaestroDavros on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:11 am

I think what I could have done without from Lennon Is "I really don't like him anymore" remark, I understand it was a format show but he seemed to go a little farther than he needed to. That being said, I am a huge Beatles fan but just like Elvis, some of their stuff I don't like just like with all my favorite artists. Elvis has always been my number one and as a huge fan of both I used to wish they could have gotten to know each other better and maybe had a real friendship like Elvis did with only a few other artists but it didn't happen. As to why who knows? I really don't think jealousy was it because in 74 when Led zeppelin was arguably the biggest band in the world they met more than once and seemed to really hit it off.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:29 am

there was a picture online of a word association thing that lennon filled out in the mid 70's and when it came to Elvis Lennon wrote "Fat". not nice. :roll: :roll:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:41 am

Bill B on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:11 am wrote:That being said, I am a huge Beatles fan but just like Elvis, some of their stuff I don't like just like with all my favorite artists.

I hope you are wearing an armored suit and are carrying a riot shield. You may be needing it!

:P

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:53 am

Hard Rocker on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:41 pm wrote:
Bill B on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:11 am wrote:That being said, I am a huge Beatles fan but just like Elvis, some of their stuff I don't like just like with all my favorite artists.

I hope you are wearing an armored suit and are carrying a riot shield. You may be needing it!

:P

He is right. You are not allowed to point out The Beatles faults here only Elvis'. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:19 am

jeanno on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:52 pm wrote:

With all those recent mediocre / crap releases, Elvis should have been aware of the new music revolution instead of getting bored. It is clear that by 1965, he did not care any more. And while the rock scene was bringing incredible music (Satisfaction, Yesterday, Like a Rolling Stone, My Girl, Downtown, I Can't Help Myself, Turn Turn Turn, I Got You, etc.), The "King" was recording "Harum Scarum" and "Frankie & Johnny" (Petunia, the Gardener's Daughter included).

Right, and that's the way it remained until the day he died, right? :facep:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24 am

Lonely Summer on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:19 am wrote:

No, that changed when he met Steve Binder.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:23 am

MaestroDavros on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:22 pm wrote:To add to this example, John Lennon appeared without the other 3 on the show on June 26, 1963, and one of the songs played that night was "(You're The) Devil In Disguise". The show only exists today on an off-air audio recording, and quite poor quality. In addition I only have the excerpts containing John Lennon. The "jurors" that night were apparently Lennon, Katie Boyle, Bruce Prochnik (who evidently doesn't speak on this excerpt) and Caroline Maudling. Here's my transcript of what was said:

David Jacobs (Host): Hey, that’s the man himself, mocking this guy. The song was “Devil In Disguise”, but now [unintelligible] because the fact it’s Elvis Presley. First:

Caroline Maudling: Well, I don’t really like Elvis Presley. Um, I know the other teenagers do but I don’t, I don’t like his voice. But uh, I like the beat of this record and I also like the um, well, the whole thing you know its nice beat. Nice beat and good (for us) to dance to but, well I don’t like it me self but I think I’ll [unintelligible word followed by either “it” or “hit”].

David Jacobs: You don’t like Elvis?

Caroline: No.

David Jacobs: Who in fact is your favorite?

Caroline: Weeeellll…. no one really. [Uninteligible] I like Brenda Lee a lot.

David Jacobs: [asks her to repeat as she kind of mumbles] You what?

Caroline: Brenda Lee is my favorite.

David Jacobs: Jolly good to Caroline.

Katie Boyle: Well I don’t think it’s nearly as good as some of his others, in fact I don’t think it’s good at all but I think, being a Presley record, he makes it.

David Jacobs: Thank you; John Lennon:

John Lennon: Well you know, I used to go mad on Elvis, like all the groups. But you know, not now. I don’t like it. And I hate songs with “walk” and “talk” in it, you know those-those-those lyrics: “she walks”, “she talks”. You know, don’t like that. And I don’t like the double-beating: “chucking like this” [Lennon is giving an example], awful. Uh, poor old Elvis.

[David Jacobs gives off a nervous laugh, followed by the audience doing the same]

David Jacobs: We’ll have need(s) for him.

--> Bruce Prochnik: Your heart bleeds for him.

John: Well I’ve got all of his early records you know, and I keep playing them thinking “let’s make another like this”, but somebody said today: “he sounds like Bing Crosby now”, and he does.

[Audience laughs]

John: You know there’s going to be people writing in now, I know there is.

David Jacobs(?): [in mock “Bing Crosby” voice] What do you mean?

--> John: There'll be people writing in now. I know what they're saying (comically in a low, slow voice) 'What d'ya mean!?'

[Audience laughs]

John: So, I don’t like him anymore.

David Jacobs: Thank you. Katie?

Katie Boyle: If he did sound like Bing Crosby would that be bad?

John: Well for Elvis, yes.

Katie: Oh.

[Audience laughter]

Can't say I necessarily agree with John much on this, although as much as I do like "Devil In Disguise" it isn't the finest song to come out of him, or even from the 1963 Nashville sessions for that matter.

Some of the transcription needed a little polishing (see above).

See:
http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1963.0622.jukebox.jury.john.lennon.html

As for John, he voted every song on "Juke Box Jury" that evening a "miss," so Elvis wasn't alone.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:23 pm

DEH on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:29 pm wrote:there was a picture online of a word association thing that lennon filled out in the mid 70's and when it came to Elvis Lennon wrote "Fat". not nice. :roll: :roll:

In 1976 Elvis was not "thin." Funnily enough, on the same sheet he writes"thin" next to David Bowie's name.

http://www.listsofnote.com/2011/12/elvis-fat.html

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:45 pm

drjohncarpenter on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:07 pm wrote:
jetblack on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:26 am wrote:And not forgetting being Number 1 for two weeks in 1965 also with 'Crying In The Chapel' right here in the UK where that foursome hailed from. :)

Andy

"Crying In The Chapel" peaked at #3 on Billboard's "Hot 100" chart for 6-12-1965 and at #4 on the 6-26-1965 Cash Box "Top 100."

Number 1 in the USA with 'Roustabout'.

Number 1 in the UK with 'Crying In The Chapel' and being a major worldwide hit too.

And all this in 1965. :D

Andy

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:12 pm

jeanno on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:24 am wrote:

Overrated. Elvis sang all by himself. Binder did get Elvis to sing "Guitar Man", "Big Boss Man"...again!

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:59 pm

jetblack on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:45 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:07 pm wrote:

Andy

Number 1 in the USA with 'Roustabout'.

Number 1 in the UK with 'Crying In The Chapel' and being a major worldwide hit too.

And all this in 1965.

Funny, no one was talking LPs at that point in the discussion. I am certain that these twin 1965 triumphs were a prime subject of discussion when Paul and his bandmates accepted Elvis' generous invitation to come and visit that summer. Elvis would have been barely able to contain his pride at a one-week ride at the top with a soundtrack that included songs like "Carny Town," and a single that had been on a shelf since 1960.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Juan Luis on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:12 am wrote:
jeanno on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:24 am wrote:

Overrated. Elvis sang all by himself. Binder did get Elvis to sing "Guitar Man", "Big Boss Man"...again!

Imagine that, and millions of people recognized the songs for the first time from the NBC Singer Presents broadcast and soundtrack album. Thank you, Steve Binder and Bones Howe.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:19 pm

Like another member of this forum said, maybe John Lennon could say to Elvis in August 27 1965: "Let's make a jam with Do The Clam".

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:23 pm

A Clam-Jam sounds interesting but Ringo might not be able to handle the bongo rolls. Beyond his capabilities, in all likelihood. :wink:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:37 pm

drjohncarpenter on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 pm wrote:
DEH on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:29 pm wrote:there was a picture online of a word association thing that lennon filled out in the mid 70's and when it came to Elvis Lennon wrote "Fat". not nice. :roll: :roll:

In 1976 Elvis was not "thin." Funnily enough, on the same sheet he writes"thin" next to David Bowie's name.

But the first thing he thought of was Fat? Come on. :roll: :roll:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:45 pm

DEH on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:37 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 pm wrote:

But the first thing he thought of was Fat? Come on. :roll: :roll:

Instead of asking a superficial question, use some thought.

John lived in New York. It was 1976. He may have seen the reviews and photos of the Presley shows in Syracuse or Rochester that July. Or any of the media reports of the time which made note of Elvis' noticeable weight gain.

Or he may have seen this magazine cover:

"National Lampoon" - July 1976
http://elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28707

Context is important when judging the past.