Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Paul McCartney digs Elvis 1965

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 pm

This is cool!
A private Christmas record made by Macca for the other Beatles in 1965 has just turned up.

Very cool to hear him refer to Elvis as the King even in 1965!

At around 11 minutes in, he plays Elvis.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-mcc ... as-record/

Re: Paul McCartney digs Elvis 1965

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Mmmm. Well there still seems to be questions about how authentic this actually is. But that aside, the DJ or Macca if it is him basically only repeats the words spoken by Peter Asher. And like any radio station back then, Elvis was always on, especially the big 50s Hits. Note that the record played is Dont Be Cruel (a blast from the past) and NOT Do The Clam. And we know that all four Beatles acknowledge Elvis, so there is nothing really that cool about this.

Here is what they said in December 1963 when they were on Juke Box Jury and reviewed "Kiss Me Quick" which they were told was recorded a couple of year back.

Paul: What I don't like about Elvis are his songs. I like his voice. This song reminds me of Blackpool on a sunny day.

Ringo: Last two years Elvis has been going down the nick.

George: If he's going back to old tracks, why not release My Baby Left Me? It'd be a number one. Elvis is great, his songs are rubbish.

John: It'll be a hit because it’s Elvis. I like those hats with 'Kiss Me Quick' on.

I’d hate to think what they would have said about "Kissin Cousins" or "Do The Clam". So please do not listen to this and think it is some kind of endorsement of 1965 Elvis. It ain’t.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:21 pm

ck1 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:08 am wrote:This is cool!
A private Christmas record made by Macca for the other Beatles in 1965 has just turned up.

Very cool to hear him refer to Elvis as the King even in 1965!

At around 11 minutes in, he plays Elvis.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-mccartney-1965-christmas-record/

Actually the report is not correct.

It is friend and musician Peter Asher who introduces "Don't Be Cruel" on the tape, in the "Golden Gasser" spot. The song was 9 years old at that point, of course.

And "The Beatles - Unforgettable" - aka "The McCartney Christmas Album" first appeared in January 2011 on the import market. It is being mentioned now because someone uploaded the audio to YouTube.

What we have is also just bits and pieces of Paul's private acetate gift to his bandmates, taken from a tape found in the John Lennon archives. He later recorded over much of it to have goofy fun with Ringo and their wives.

Just too late for Christmas! And a tad disappointing re the rumours of an upcoming release of Paul's Christmas album.

unforgettable_front.jpg

Apparently a tape that used to contain the album was taped over by John and Ringo, and you'll only hear little snippets of what was originally on the underlaying layer of magnetic fields.

The material on the CD does not mirror the LP. The 1965 Christmas 26 minute tape is the reel that was auctioned in 2003 but was unsold and later offered on eBay.

unforgettable info.jpg

http://wogew.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-hmc-releases.html

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:50 am

After comments like that people wonder why Elvis may not have cared to meet them? Too Bad they couldn't keep that to themselves kinda shocks me Paul would say that in public back then..

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:17 am

The Fab Four were right … Kiss Me Quick was and is crap.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:45 am

Bill B on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:50 pm wrote:After comments like that people wonder why Elvis may not have cared to meet them? Too Bad they couldn't keep that to themselves kinda shocks me Paul would say that in public back then.

They were on the TV Show to give their opinions on record releases for the week. I remember watching it at the time. They voted it a hit but only because it was Elvis and not the quality of the record. It was a UK show so doubtful Elvis was even aware. But they were only saying what lots for people were thinking at the time - where were the great songs/records that Elvis recorded like in the previous years. Virtually every release went to #1 or was top 3. During 1963, he started to struggle with singles like One Broken Heart For Sale lasting a whole 1:30 mins and Bossa Nova Baby. Girls Girls Girls was the start of weak soundtrack albums too.
Maybe they were hopeful the message would get back to him so that he would do something about it and start giving us really great tracks again like His Latest Flame and Little Sister.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:51 am

emjel on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm wrote:I’d hate to think what they would have said about "Kissin Cousins" or "Do The Clam". So please do not listen to this and think it is some kind of endorsement of 1965 Elvis. It ain’t.

Endorsement?!! :lol: The greatest endorsement made by The Beatles in 1965 was when they came to bend their knee at the foot of The King in August that year. They couldn't wait to meet him although as we all know, Presley wasn't that fussed. And, er, a long time fan like you should know that. :wink:

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:06 am

Hard Rocker on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:51 pm wrote:
emjel on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm wrote:I’d hate to think what they would have said about "Kissin Cousins" or "Do The Clam". So please do not listen to this and think it is some kind of endorsement of 1965 Elvis. It ain’t.

Endorsement?!! :lol: The greatest endorsement made by The Beatles in 1965 was when they came to bend their knee at the foot of The King in August that year. They couldn't wait to meet him although as we all know, Presley wasn't that fussed. And, er, a long time fan like you should know that. :wink:
Elvis was actually bored. :) :lol:

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:52 am

Juan Luis on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 am wrote:
Hard Rocker on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:51 pm wrote:

Elvis was actually bored. :) :lol:

With all those recent mediocre / crap releases, Elvis should have been aware of the new music revolution instead of getting bored. It is clear that by 1965, he did not care any more. And while the rock scene was bringing incredible music (Satisfaction, Yesterday, Like a Rolling Stone, My Girl, Downtown, I Can't Help Myself, Turn Turn Turn, I Got You, etc.), The "King" was recording "Harum Scarum" and "Frankie & Johnny" (Petunia, the Gardener's Daughter included).

Instead of facing new challenges it was time for complacency, I guess.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Hard Rocker on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:51 pm wrote:

"Bend their knee". What a hoot. It’s so comical when you wheel out that tiresome statement again and again and again.The reality of course is that who wouldn’t want to meet Elvis given the opportunity. They’d probably have done the same with Buddy Holly had he still be alive. I did read somewhere that Ringo asked Elvis if he had any bongos lying around as they were all anxious to do a jam on Do The Clam. :lol: :lol:

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:07 pm

A jam on Do the Clam? I laughed at this funny comment.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:01 pm

Well, we've all had a few laughs for a variety of reasons this past 24 hours, that's for sure. :wink: :lol:

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Hard Rocker on December 7th, 2017, 12:51 am wrote:

Dont forget "January 1965" when Roustabout lp hit the Nº1 spot on the Billboard chart! 8). That was a great achievement at the high of the "beatlemania" thing.... :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

image008.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Mike Windgren on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Dont forget "January 1965" when Roustabout lp hit the Nº1 spot on the Billboard chart! 8). That was a great achievement at the high of the "beatlemania" thing.... :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

image008.gif

Your interpration of that is a meaningless as your 3 CD Poll.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Mike Windgren on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:41 am wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

image008.gif

Why must this be brought into each and every discussion about the Beatles and Elvis? It is so stupid and meaningless since this album means absolutely nothing to anyone but Elvis fans. It did nothing to enhance the 60's pop music scene one iota. Nothing. Just another mediocre soundtrack. By the way that 'beatlemania' thing you refer to totally reshaped the musical landscape much the same way (and some would argue in a bigger way) that Elvis did in the 50's. Get over your jealousy once and for all and talk rationally for once.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:31 pm

r&b on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 am wrote:

image008.gif

Why must this be brought into each and every discussion about the Beatles and Elvis? It is so stupid and meaningless since this album means absolutely nothing to anyone but Elvis fans. It did nothing to enhance the 60's pop music scene one iota. Nothing. Just another mediocre soundtrack. By the way that 'beatlemania' thing you refer to totally reshaped the musical landscape much the same way (and some would argue in a bigger way) that Elvis did in the 50's. Get over your jealousy once and for all and talk rationally for once.

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one r&b, every time Elvis Presley is mentioned, or referred to as a historical figure, revolutionary musical icon, or at least had any musical artistic merit, I'm sure they're thinking "Elvis Presley Roustabout" !!!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Mike Windgren on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm wrote:

A fair point and very true.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:42 pm

r&b on December 7th, 2017, 2:18 pm wrote:
Mike Windgren on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:41 am wrote:

image008.gif

Why must this be brought into each and every discussion about the Beatles and Elvis?. It is so stupid and meaningless since this album means absolutely nothing to anyone but Elvis fans. It did nothing to enhance the 60's pop music scene one iota. Nothing. Just another mediocre soundtrack. By the way that 'beatlemania' thing you refer to totally reshaped the musical landscape much the same way (and some would argue in a bigger way) that Elvis did in the 50's. Get over your jealousy once and for all and talk rationally for once.

You do that all the time..... :facep:. Food for thought!. :wink:

r&b you sound lately a lot like the "Rat Pack" on here, did they bewitched you? :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:43 pm

r&b on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:18 pm wrote:

image008.gif

You’ll have a hard job getting him to do that. He does t understand.
Last edited by emjel on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 pm

minkahed on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:31 am wrote:
r&b on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 am wrote:

image008.gif

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one r&b, every time Elvis Presley is mentioned, or referred to as a historical figure, revolutionary musical icon, or at least had any musical artistic merit, I'm sure they're thinking "Elvis Presley Roustabout" !!!

Super that Elvis hit #1, but it was Roustabout for goodness sake, not Blonde on Blonde! I doubt Elvis was proud of this soundtrack other than the fact that it made him some dough. Lets be reasonable here. Elvis was jealous of the Beatles enormous success. MM members have stated this. No other artist had ever challenged him in such a way and won before. The Beatles were now the leaders in pop music, Elvis was making crap movies and even crappier music. That he didnt want to meet them and seemed bored throughout was his way of showing just how unhappy he was at the time. Its really too bad that meeting couldnt have been more a summit on on music, maybe discuss a future project, ask for a song , or at least form a lasting friendship in the way that Perkins and Orbison had when they met. Really a missed opportunity.
Last edited by r&b on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 pm

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 pm

emjel on December 7th, 2017, 2:07 pm wrote:

image008.gif

The Master has spoken! :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:00 pm

Mike Windgren on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:47 pm wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

emjel on December 7th, 2017, 2:07 pm wrote:

image008.gif

The Master has spoken! :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Well, just think about it carefully. Someone had to be at number one regardless of Beatlemania. Or are you suggesting that because of Beatlemania, they would or should have been at the top of the charts for every week during 1964 and 1965 and stopped every other artist from gaining top position.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:08 pm

Like Sonny and Cher with "I Got You, Babe". Great song. Number one for 3 weeks in US, number one also in the UK and Canada.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:26 pm

Mike Windgren on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm wrote:Dont forget "January 1965" when Roustabout lp hit the Nº1 spot on the Billboard chart! 8). That was a great achievement at the high of the "beatlemania" thing.... :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

And not forgetting being Number 1 for two weeks in 1965 also with 'Crying In The Chapel' right here in the UK where that foursome hailed from. :)

Number 1 on both sides of the Atlantic in 1965 - WOW!!!!!

Andy