Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD - 3 CD sets

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:12 am

I will always base my feelings on what is best for Elvis' legacy, not some fans' personal Presley audio library.

Like you, I think carefully about my comments, and I continue to assert that the FTD release of "Elvis Is Back!" did not alter in any way the Legacy of Elvis Presley. Nor will a possible 3 CD set of the sessions that yielded that album. The Ed Sullivan show and the '68 Special and other such global events have made his Legacy - no f-bomb on any FTD or "Dear Georgie" joke is going to erase or change his Legacy. I do believe it is set.

As far as a fans' personal library that's what makes being an Elvis collector so much fun. You can add outtakes if you wanna, add soundboards, add home recordings, add multi-track shows, add Mono vs. Stereo, add undubbed Masters, and on and on. Now possibly some additional complete sessions courtesy of FTD. Our persoanl libraries of Elvis will and are probably vastly different, yet we both dig the hell of this man's music and regardless of the differences - his legacy is as solid as it's ever been or will be.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:17 am

ORION on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:12 pm wrote:I will always base my feelings on what is best for Elvis' legacy, not some fans' personal Presley audio library.

Like you, I think carefully about my comments, and I continue to assert that the FTD release of "Elvis Is Back!" did not alter in any way the Legacy of Elvis Presley. Nor will a possible 3 CD set of the sessions that yielded that album. The Ed Sullivan show and the '68 Special and other such global events have made his Legacy - no f-bomb on any FTD or "Dear Georgie" joke is going to erase or change his Legacy. I do believe it is set.

As far as a fans' personal library that's what makes being an Elvis collector so much fun. You can add outtakes if you wanna, add soundboards, add home recordings, add multi-track shows, add Mono vs. Stereo, add undubbed Masters, and on and on. Now possibly some additional complete sessions courtesy of FTD. Our persoanl libraries of Elvis will and are probably vastly different, yet we both dig the hell of this man's music and regardless of the differences - his legacy is as solid as it's ever been or will be.

I appreciate your comments, even if I do not agree with them.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:24 am

Doc - That's the best part of this forum.. We can agree to disagree and still have some marvelous discussion without exchanging keystroke blows. You know that if time and location permitted we'd have a few beers, some great wings and some excellent exchanges about Elvis. Keep posting, brother. You make my daily visits here educational and enjoyable - not to forget thought provoking.

::rocks

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:52 am

The Pirate on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:40 pm wrote: Logically, the people who would buy every available complete session are going to be the same people who also own all the soundboards, and probably a pile of bootlegs too. So my question remains - when are folks finding time to listen to these, after the initial excitement dies down?

I see your point, though I should say that, personally, I have virtually no interest in acquiring any further soundboards (and I've never owned a single Elvis bootleg...go figure). I would seriously consider purchasing complete studio sessions for at least 50% of Elvis albums/sessions, but I haven't bought a soundboard for at least a year.

There have definitely been times when I thought to myself, "You know, I really want to hear all of the outtakes of Solider Boy." OTOH, I've never said, "Hmm, I want to hear all of the concerts from the XYZ engagement."

I don't regularly listen to any particular FTD...but then, I don't regularly listen to any CD, at least not after "the initial excitement dies down."

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:58 am

All complete sessions should be released. Let the fans decide if they will buy it or not.

Once you have the sessions, you can compile the playlist. That's what should have been done right from the start. But it's not too late.

The movie soundtracks sessions are fun to listen to. Spinout, Frankie and Johnny etc.

Even a digital download would be fine.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:00 am

drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:48 pm wrote:
ORION on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:44 am wrote:Calling this proposal by Ernst a 'boring repository of music only desirable to hardcore, pedantic collectors' is really what a collector's label should be.

I disagree.

The world will not benefit from possessing every false start, bum note, out of tune line that exists on tape from Elvis' studio session. FTD has offered, as I noted, just a precious few full session reels. They were released because of their historical significance, superb material and musicianship, and appropriateness to the title being created. This cannot be done for every studio session without diminishing the legacy.

I will always support the legacy over trying to serve the narrow desires of hardcore, pedantic collectors.

When In Rome on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:20 am wrote:
Mike Windgren on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:29 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on December 5th, 2017, 1:21 pm wrote:Does this mean you are actually negative about something FTD is going to do?

Maybe he lost his chair in the FTD team and can now speak more openly ?

As far as back as I can recall (admittedly I'm a relative 'newbie') drjohncarpenter has always maintained this stance when it comes to complete session tapes and FTD. I happen to agree with this outlook but, you know, great for all those who want absolutely everything recorded, personally I'll be voting with my wallet and it shall remain closed to many if not all such iterations...

Thanks. You care about the legacy. Why there is such a odd desperation by some to support this IDEA is just strange.

In addition, there has been NO confirmation that this "something FTD is going to do." It's just more false statements from members uninterested in have any integrity when they engage in a discussion.

What is this nonsense about elvis' legacy? Ftd is a collector label.
Joe public isn't aware of ftd.
If something should be done about the legacy of elvis, silence all the fat elvis impersonators.
They are diminishing his legacy, not some ftd's the public is unaware about.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:09 am

drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:13 pm wrote:
Ciscoking on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:58 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:48 pm wrote:I disagree.

The world will not benefit from possessing every false start, bum note, out of tune line that exists on tape from Elvis' studio session. FTD has offered, as I noted, just a precious few full session reels. They were released because of their historical significance, superb material and musicianship, and appropriateness to the title being created. This cannot be done for every studio session without diminishing the legacy.

I will always support the legacy over trying to serve the narrow desires of hardcore, pedantic collectors.

Dont think anybody takes what you write here as Gospel. These times are over. Its up to eachs members musical taste which sessions are "precious" to him. I think I have another definition of "precious sessions" as you have. And I am very happy about that.
Keep em coming, Ernst. I want as many complete sessions as possible and I am supporting the label wholeheartedly. Lets start with Viva Las Vegas..love it..

StefanKock1 was right about you.

StefanKock1 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:15 am wrote:You should stop this bull ****. My posts on this messageboard confirm that I'm a fan of all periods, my collection (which has costed me 1000's of euro's in the past 28 years) tells that too. You're an arrogant, insulting piece of 'something'. You're always crying about being bullied, but let me tell you, you're the biggest bully in disguise on this very board. You should be ashamed of yourself !

Stop that or write about all the other users who felt the same about you and left because of you.
Face reality for once and don't pick one example if it fits your agenda and ignore the way more bigger other examples where you drove people away because of your behavior. Those people are bigger numbers than your one beloved stefankock1.
Please.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 am

r&b on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:34 pm wrote:
norrie on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:21 pm wrote:You can get too much if a good thing and this would be far too much.As a listening experience repeated multi takes of the same songs over and over is boring.Even good songs.I don't think I've ever made it through disc 2 of FTD Loving You.
This idea sucks Ernst.

norrie

Me either and I eventually sold it. I dont know how anyone can sit thru this more than once and I love the 50's! Much happier just owning the regular released version on the mainstream label with its few outtakes. I will no longer keep what I will no longer play, unless we are talking my original records of course.

Well, that ftd had one or two very fine and unreleased outtakes of loving you ( not talking about cd2) and a very fine rocking and unreleased version of mean woman blues.
Surprised that you didn't appreciate those.
But hey, i am not a first generation fan, so what do i know.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 am

The Pirate on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:53 pm wrote:The sheer volume of Elvis material available, be it legal or bootleg, means that it is physically impossible for anyone to be playing all their discs on repeat once they've been released. Buy it, play it, file it and forget it. There aren't enough hours in the day for any other scenario, unless there are people here who literally spend every waking hour listening to nothing but Elvis. And hey, that's not a criticism because that first part (" buy it, play it..." etc) is me all over. Not the second part, the all-Elvis all the time bit, that sounds like a nightmare scenario.

So what I'm saying is, the only reason to own copies of the complete reels for each and every available session, is to be able to say that you own them. "To complete the collection." Nobody with even half a brain is going to sit down day after day and listen to the same three hours of Double Trouble outtakes. Are they?

Funny, coming from you while you admitted several times buying even bootleg releases (-the 69 sessions comes to my mind) where just snippets where unreleased.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:41 am

matilda on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:27 am wrote:
The Pirate on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:53 pm wrote:The sheer volume of Elvis material available, be it legal or bootleg, means that it is physically impossible for anyone to be playing all their discs on repeat once they've been released. Buy it, play it, file it and forget it. There aren't enough hours in the day for any other scenario, unless there are people here who literally spend every waking hour listening to nothing but Elvis. And hey, that's not a criticism because that first part (" buy it, play it..." etc) is me all over. Not the second part, the all-Elvis all the time bit, that sounds like a nightmare scenario.

So what I'm saying is, the only reason to own copies of the complete reels for each and every available session, is to be able to say that you own them. "To complete the collection." Nobody with even half a brain is going to sit down day after day and listen to the same three hours of Double Trouble outtakes. Are they?

Funny, coming from you while you admitted several times buying even bootleg releases (-the 69 sessions comes to my mind) where just snippets where unreleased.

It's not funny if you bother to read what I wrote. I am one of the people who buys stuff because I want to own it. That's it. I admit it. I've never said otherwise.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:02 am

I would definately buy 3-CD set that contains studio sessions material from 69-76 period.
Same goes for some early 60s sessions as well....like VLV and BH sessions.
Would be nice to have ICHFIL complete session in pristine quality....all approx 30 takes.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:06 am

I'd finally get Promised Land with the unreleased take of Promised Land ....

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:12 am

midnightx on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:22 pm wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t this all that is left that exists from the “Elvis Is Back!” sessions?

Make Me Know It - 7 takes
Soldier Boy - 7 takes
Fame And Fortune - 3 takes
Like A Baby - 1 take
The Girl of My Best Friend - 3 takes
I Will Be Home Again - 3 takes
Reconsider Baby - 1 take

If so, that makes up roughly a viable single disc left-overs compilation. I personally would find it aggravating re-purchasing up to 2.5 hours of previously released content just for these remaining outtakes. I don’t think the 3 CD concept works for this much heralded album.

In the end, what this will come down to is cost. If they follow the usual policy of "all releases cost the same, regardless of disc numbers", and we can get a 3xCD set for the same price as a single... Well, I guess I may as well own everything in one place. In theory we could all then sell the earlier editions, although in practice few would bother.

But already folks are starting to talk about wanting deluxe versions in 12"sleeves with booklets, and you just know that this kind of treatment is likely to be along the lines of what we'll get. Along with a massive price rise.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:28 am

Elvis2000 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 am wrote:I don't think the 3 disc format would work well with the soundtracks, but concert soundboards it would be much better.

There are shows that could work in a 3 disc set, such as the rest of the Memphis '74 shows, Jackson '75 along with the May show as a bonus disc (I know there are tape issues but I would still like to have it), Atlanta '76 and Fayetteville '76.
These are only examples but if Ernst makes the 3 CD sets happen, Cisco suggest these to him (if available), please.

wow Atlanta mid-76 + fayetteville 3 cd sets they EXIST and i seen Ernst's notes on them, but i truthfully hope they DON'T COME out`! better shows exist and the forthcoming two-fer of Tulsa and Duluth 76 is enough for now
obviously an Asheville 75 3 cd set would sell about 5,000 units + but i have NO IDEA if it even exists how complete or exactly who has them. unfortunately (some) people want to keep stuff to them selves.
i know far more than i can say here on a public forum, but really if a soundboard owner doesn't want them released what can one do?
pray for known existing ones like 3 cd set of a minimal performance like Fayetteville? :shock: :? :roll:

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:33 am

YDKM on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:28 am wrote:wow Atlanta mid-76 + fayetteville 3 cd sets they EXIST and i seen Ernst's notes on them, but i truthfully hope they DON'T COME out`! better shows exist and the forthcoming two-fer of Tulsa and Duluth 76 is enough for now

obviously an Asheville 75 3 cd set would sell about 5,000 units + but i have NO IDEA if it even exists how complete or exactly who has them. unfortunately (some) people want to keep stuff to them selves.

i know far more than i can say here on a public forum, but really if a soundboard owner doesn't want them released what can one do?

pray for known existing ones like 3 cd set of a minimal performance like Fayetteville? :shock: :? :roll:

Don't be shy.

Please tell us what shows might be available from, say, the 1957 tours.

::rocks

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:41 am

LSP-4445 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:02 am wrote:I would definately buy 3-CD set that contains studio session.....
Would be nice to have ICHFIL complete session in pristine quality....all approx 30 takes.

Back in the mid 70s when outtakes first started appearing, I can remember thinking that it would be great to own every single take from Elvis recording sessions. And it was exciting to collect them from different releases and assemble them into the correct order. But after all that time, I think that novelty has worn off. In my loft, I have a reel to reel tape of the majority of the Blue Hawaii sessions including 99% of the takes for Can’t Help Falling In Love, and whilst it is nice to have them, it does not necessarily make for a pleasant listening experience after the first time play, purely because of the repetitive nature of the song. - there was very little difference in how the song developed especially the movie version. Now that poor experience might be because there is very little studio chatter between takes, and having the opportunity to listen to all the studio chat would certainly alleviate the situation and make the whole thing interesting too, but I cannot imagine the tape machines would be rolling (on this or any other session) whilst in depth discussions occurred about how to tackle the songs etc. I can remember Roger Semon telling me that listening to all of the Do Not Disturb takes (around 36 if I remember correctly) was certainly not that exciting either and it was felt that it was 90 minutes or more of lost time.

So I have real mixed feelings about this new idea. If it did not happen, I would not lose any sleep over it, but if it did, the Collector part of me would kick in and I would end up questioning whether I really wanted them or indeed wanted to pay out even more money just to get a few missing outtakes. And then I would question the validity of keeping the original "Classic Album" that these new releases covered. How many hours in a day are available to listen to this stuff? Will i listen to them once and then revert back to the highlight outtakes found on the "Classic Album", which do not get played that often either - too many records by other artists to listen to and enjoy.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:33 pm

matilda on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:18 am wrote:
r&b on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:34 pm wrote:
norrie on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:21 pm wrote:You can get too much if a good thing and this would be far too much.As a listening experience repeated multi takes of the same songs over and over is boring.Even good songs.I don't think I've ever made it through disc 2 of FTD Loving You.
This idea sucks Ernst.

norrie

Me either and I eventually sold it. I dont know how anyone can sit thru this more than once and I love the 50's! Much happier just owning the regular released version on the mainstream label with its few outtakes. I will no longer keep what I will no longer play, unless we are talking my original records of course.

Well, that ftd had one or two very fine and unreleased outtakes of loving you ( not talking about cd2) and a very fine rocking and unreleased version of mean woman blues.
Surprised that you didn't appreciate those.
But hey, i am not a first generation fan, so what do i know.

I'm not a first generation fan either so not sure why you mention that.
The first cd of FTD Loving You is brilliant and a great listening experience and I appreciate it just fine thank you very much it's a great example of how the albums should be presented with selected superior outakes for an enjoyable listen.The 2nd disc was the one I mentioned as being a bore.

norrie

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:44 pm

drjohncarpenter on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:52 am wrote:"Make Me Know It" is represented in the outtakes by TWO false starts and a couple of alternates that are not as good as the master. Elvis Is Back! (FTD) includes three alternate takes that are better than that, although still not as good as the chosen master take released in 1960.

What does this mean? ...

First, Doc, let me apologise for editing your whole post - I did it just to make it easy to read. Sorry.

I wonder if you would use argument of outtahes not being as good as the mater, if session tapes for Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel (or other form 50s) have survived. I'm sure - you wouldn't. I know how significant this sessions were, but even if 3/4 of those sessions were false starts, it would be nice to have (for lack of better word).

Sadly, I have never bought Viva Las Vegas FTD, so an idea to release whole soundtrack as 3 cd is a dream come true to me. It's no Elvis is Back nor Hound Dog session, but I'm glad Mr Jorgensen is willing to experiment with it. If the FTD team have stood by their first idea of the label, we wouldn't have 2 CDs with Classic Albums. The original idea evolved into something new, so why should we stop it before it reaches the next step?

And the next step is love... (at least for Elvis' music) :wink:

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:59 pm

drjohncarpenter on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:21 am wrote:
Ken Jensen on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:52 pm wrote:
midnightx on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:22 am wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t this all that is left that exists from the “Elvis Is Back!” sessions?

Soldier Boy - 7 takes
Like A Baby - 1 take
Reconsider Baby - 1 take

If so, that makes up roughly a viable single disc left-overs compilation. I personally would find it aggravating re-purchasing up to 2.5 hours of previously released content just for these remaining outtakes. I don’t think the 3 CD concept works for this much heralded album.

This appears to be the case, plus some work parts, I guess. Of course, the false start to "Reconsider Baby" would have to be released with the master (take 2), otherwise it wouldn’t make sense. Elvis Is Back! is, incidentally, the only 2-CD set I would consider investing in as a 3-CD set, simply because of it’s importance and the level of commitment.

If you owned a copy of FTD's Elvis Is Back! you would know that you practically have take 1 ... on that marvelous set.

phpBB [media]

And, as I noted earlier, the set delivers 100 minutes of alternate takes, the very best from the session reels. What remains, as midnightx shows, are basically scraps. Elvis does not deserve to have his barrel-scrapings officially released, it is an insult to his life and legacy.

Follow That Dream, Kid Galahad, Elvis Is Back!, Rockin’ across Texas, and All Shook Up were the five first FTDs I worked on, so, yeah, I own it. My name’s mentioned in the booklet. If you had owned a copy, you would have known that. And you would have known that take 1 is not there, just a count-in.

As for your blatant attacks on the FTD label as of late, I am at a loss for words. Your behaviour is petty and despicable. Maybe it’s time for you to move on to another message board, Bob Dylan, perhaps, or the Liverpool boys? Food for thought.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:44 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

L Ray on December 5th, 2017, 7:26 pm wrote:If Viva Las Vegas is in the list, I'm up for it. Same goes for others that need to be re-done anyway. Kid Galahad for example. I would buy that one immediately. I'm less interested in the 70's being done this way but many of the soundtracks would be great. Fun In Acapulco anyone?

Me!!!! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:50 pm

matilda on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:09 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:13 pm wrote:
Ciscoking on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:58 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:48 pm wrote:I disagree.

Dont think anybody takes what you write here as Gospel. These times are over. Its up to eachs members musical taste which sessions are "precious" to him. I think I have another definition of "precious sessions" as you have. And I am very happy about that.
Keep em coming, Ernst. I want as many complete sessions as possible and I am supporting the label wholeheartedly. Lets start with Viva Las Vegas..love it..

StefanKock1 was right about you.

StefanKock1 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:15 am wrote:You should stop this bull ****. My posts on this messageboard confirm that I'm a fan of all periods, my collection (which has costed me 1000's of euro's in the past 28 years) tells that too. You're an arrogant, insulting piece of 'something'. You're always crying about being bullied, but let me tell you, you're the biggest bully in disguise on this very board. You should be ashamed of yourself !

Stop that or write about all the other users who felt the same about you and left because of you.
Face reality for once and don't pick one example if it fits your agenda and ignore the way more bigger other examples where you drove people away because of your behavior. Those people are bigger numbers than your one beloved stefankock1.
Please.

Nothing more to add . Sad but true and everybody knows it. Thank you for pointing it out again. He now has lost all of his credibility..

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:54 pm

Ken Jensen on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:59 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:21 am wrote:
Ken Jensen on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:52 pm wrote:
midnightx on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:22 am wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t this all that is left that exists from the “Elvis Is Back!” sessions?

Soldier Boy - 7 takes
Like A Baby - 1 take
Reconsider Baby - 1 take

This appears to be the case, plus some work parts, I guess. Of course, the false start to "Reconsider Baby" would have to be released with the master (take 2), otherwise it wouldn’t make sense. Elvis Is Back! is, incidentally, the only 2-CD set I would consider investing in as a 3-CD set, simply because of it’s importance and the level of commitment.

If you owned a copy of FTD's Elvis Is Back! you would know that you practically have take 1 ... on that marvelous set.

phpBB [media]

And, as I noted earlier, the set delivers 100 minutes of alternate takes, the very best from the session reels. What remains, as midnightx shows, are basically scraps. Elvis does not deserve to have his barrel-scrapings officially released, it is an insult to his life and legacy.

Follow That Dream, Kid Galahad, Elvis Is Back!, Rockin’ across Texas, and All Shook Up were the five first FTDs I worked on, so, yeah, I own it. My name’s mentioned in the booklet. If you had owned a copy, you would have known that. And you would have known that take 1 is not there, just a count-in.

As for your blatant attacks on the FTD label as of late, I am at a loss for words. Your behaviour is petty and despicable. Maybe it’s time for you to move on to another message board, Bob Dylan, perhaps, or the Liverpool boys? Food for thought.

Ken...I agree 100 percent. I am speechless too ..this guy should make a break before he ruins the rest of his reputation. ..

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:12 pm

If they do it, I can see many people selling the “old” titles on eBay

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

a mess of polk salad on December 6th, 2017, 9:06 am wrote:I'd finally get Promised Land with the unreleased take of Promised Land ....

You mean Promised Land Take 1 ("Mother ****"), right? :wink:. It´s a very funny take! :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

P.S: Only available on the great VENUS label cd release: "On A Jet To The Promised Land".

Source: http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-ses ... 15.html#01

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:33 pm

frus75 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:12 pm wrote:If they do it, I can see many people selling the “old” titles on eBay

That will depend entirely on how much FTD sells the new versions for. If, although it's unlikely, they go out at the same price as now - about £22.99 - then there'd be little incentive to buy a second hand inferior version unless it was very cheap. And the more people sell them, the lower the price would end up.