Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD - 3 CD sets

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Here was the idea I presented to him back in 2012, which he's welcome to now and I really hope he does:

1: each session unedited, carefully restored
2: session CDs look like the session reels
3: each set comes in a box that looks like a mini version of a tape box from that session
4: inside each box is also mini reproductions of all paperwork and notes made, including anything written on the reels or reel boxes, in a size that fits in the box without folding (so, CD front card size-ish)
5: include overdub sessions when possible

Having the boxes look like one of the session's tape boxes means that, when a collector has the whole set, they have a mini "RCA session vault" on their CD rack. That'd add a lot to the collectability for many fans.

Jamie:
All I can say is WOW!!! You've taken this idea of a 3 CD set in a tri-fold cover to a whole other universe. If the FTD would unertake this level of committment to a release, I'd be willing to take out that bank loan (second mortgage if my house wasn't already paid off... lol). Seriously, if these sets would be that detailed, they would almost have to be 'special ordered' to make sure they sold-out. Even if the session logs and notes were a 'no-go' - I still love the reels and tape box idea.
Hopefully, someone on here can relay that idea to Ernst. I, also, agree with you that complete means complete - not false dialogue in strange and unusual places like we've had in the past.

Good to see you back on here, my friend.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:04 pm

ORION on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:30 am wrote:Here was the idea I presented to him back in 2012, which he's welcome to now and I really hope he does:

3: each set comes in a box that looks like a mini version of a tape box from that session
4: inside each box is also mini reproductions of all paperwork and notes made, including anything written on the reels or reel boxes, in a size that fits in the box without folding (so, CD front card size-ish)

Having the boxes look like one of the session's tape boxes means that, when a collector has the whole set, they have a mini "RCA session vault" on their CD rack. That'd add a lot to the collectability for many fans.

Jamie:
All I can say is WOW!!! You've taken this idea of a 3 CD set in a tri-fold cover to a whole other universe. If the FTD would unertake this level of committment to a release, I'd be willing to take out that bank loan (second mortgage if my house wasn't already paid off... lol). Seriously, if these sets would be that detailed, they would almost have to be 'special ordered' to make sure they sold-out. Even if the session logs and notes were a 'no-go' - I still love the reels and tape box idea.
Hopefully, someone on here can relay that idea to Ernst. I, also, agree with you that complete means complete - not false dialogue in strange and unusual places like we've had in the past.

Thank you!

Here's the thing: this wouldn't cost much more than the Classic albums to make, as far as cost for materials. Minus the extra discs, of course. If the box is the size of "Hitstory" or "Artist of the Century" (maybe wide for the bigger sessions), then it might be cheaper to print than the Classic Album design. Plus, printing the session logs/etc in that size would take less paper than a classic album booklet - since it's roughly 1/4th the size. Use the same kind of paper but FLAT so no fingerprint issue and should cost less too, If the average Classic Album booklet is 8 pages, that's 32 papers' worth. Should be more than do-able.

Ernst does already have all this info: I've sent it to him several times since 2012 - and even asked him and John Jackson what the cost of licensing the reel transfers would be to crowdfund the project myself (never got an answer to that; this could be why). I hope he goes this route, I think it'd be the smartest way to market these.

And thanks! I keep pretty busy (just completely overhauled http://www.justawesomekaraoke.com to add a Paypal store and getting a retro clothing line started, along with my own projects) but I still look in from time to time. :)

domino wrote:I think the first thing they need to make complete session FTD's is the complete session tapes .The latest FTD soundtracks is evidence that they don't have them.It's one thing to release an incomplete session FTD,another to re release it again if they one day stumble onto the tapes.Stick to the complete one's and gather all remaining tracks from the incomplete one's and make one hodge podge FTD of movie soundtrack outtakes.

They should start with ones that they have all the reels for, but then move gradually to all of them. The 1969 sessions, for instance, are missing some reels or half-reels (however that works) and I doubt anyone would want them to leave those off because of it.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

JamieAKelley on December 7th, 2017, 6:04 pm wrote:
ORION on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:30 am wrote:Here was the idea I presented to him back in 2012, which he's welcome to now and I really hope he does:

Jamie:

Thank you!

Here's the thing: this wouldn't cost much more than the Classic albums to make, as far as cost for materials. Minus the extra discs, of course. If the box is the size of "Hitstory" or "Artist of the Century" (maybe wide for the bigger sessions), then it might be cheaper to print than the Classic Album design. Plus, printing the session logs/etc in that size would take less paper than a classic album booklet - since it's roughly 1/4th the size. Use the same kind of paper but FLAT so no fingerprint issue and should cost less too, If the average Classic Album booklet is 8 pages, that's 32 papers' worth. Should be more than do-able.

Ernst does already have all this info: I've sent it to him several times since 2012 - and even asked him and John Jackson what the cost of licensing the reel transfers would be to crowdfund the project myself (never got an answer to that; this could be why). I hope he goes this route, I think it'd be the smartest way to market these.

And thanks! I keep pretty busy (just completely overhauled http://www.justawesomekaraoke.com to add a Paypal store and getting a retro clothing line started, along with my own projects) but I still look in from time to time. :)

domino wrote:I think the first thing they need to make complete session FTD's is the complete session tapes .The latest FTD soundtracks is evidence that they don't have them.It's one thing to release an incomplete session FTD,another to re release it again if they one day stumble onto the tapes.Stick to the complete one's and gather all remaining tracks from the incomplete one's and make one hodge podge FTD of movie soundtrack outtakes.

They should start with ones that they have all the reels for, but then move gradually to all of them. The 1969 sessions, for instance, are missing some reels or half-reels (however that works) and I doubt anyone would want them to leave those off because of it.

Wow! smt131. That´s what I call fresh ideas :smt023. Thank you Sir!. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:45 pm

The more I think about the more I think yes, what a great idea -- bring it on FTD ...

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:45 am

JamieAKelley on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:34 pm wrote:Complete sessions? Well... it's about d@mn time.

I've been telling Ernst I've wanted this this for years. :)

HOWEVER.. if they're actually going to do this, a few things need to be absolutely made clear beyond any doubt:

#1: most important! A promise that NO editing has been done - I wanna hear that tape start and I want to hear it end, lol - I like Ernst a lot, but he's got a crazy tendency to edit things that should be left well enough alone. If it's edited, then "complete session" is false advertising, full-stop, and I won't be buying. Only edits that should be ok is if two sources are needed to complete it (say, master tape and Briggs's tape for parts of the '76 sessions) - but that's not the same thing when it comes to editing.
2: newly restored/mixed to ensure nothing is buried
3: full notes so we have as much session info as possible

Here was the idea I presented to him back in 2012, which he's welcome to now and I really hope he does:

The first two of these should, imo, be "Viva Las Vegas" and one of the 1969 sessions. Then many of the soundtracks from the early "Classic Albums" series that never got the 2-CD treatment ("Girl Happy", etc) Even for sessions where we have most of the material, having it complete is always a good thing - even when we've been given every take, there've been cuts. And while some have no interest and that's fine, a complete session gives a true "fly on the wall" experience - even for the lesser material.

And then maybe then we'll finally get the unedited stereo masters to "Kid Galahad" without that craptastic mix/reverb-drench job from "Double Features". That'd be nice.

Absolutely stellar ideas, Jamie. I am impressed with your vision. Sign me up!

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:19 am

Ken Jensen on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 pm wrote:
JamieAKelley on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:34 pm wrote:Complete sessions? Well... it's about d@mn time.

I've been telling Ernst I've wanted this this for years. :)

HOWEVER.. if they're actually going to do this, a few things need to be absolutely made clear beyond any doubt:

#1: most important! A promise that NO editing has been done - I wanna hear that tape start and I want to hear it end, lol - I like Ernst a lot, but he's got a crazy tendency to edit things that should be left well enough alone. If it's edited, then "complete session" is false advertising, full-stop, and I won't be buying. Only edits that should be ok is if two sources are needed to complete it (say, master tape and Briggs's tape for parts of the '76 sessions) - but that's not the same thing when it comes to editing.
2: newly restored/mixed to ensure nothing is buried
3: full notes so we have as much session info as possible

The first two of these should, imo, be "Viva Las Vegas" and one of the 1969 sessions. Then many of the soundtracks from the early "Classic Albums" series that never got the 2-CD treatment ("Girl Happy", etc) Even for sessions where we have most of the material, having it complete is always a good thing - even when we've been given every take, there've been cuts. And while some have no interest and that's fine, a complete session gives a true "fly on the wall" experience - even for the lesser material.

And then maybe then we'll finally get the unedited stereo masters to "Kid Galahad" without that craptastic mix/reverb-drench job from "Double Features". That'd be nice.

Absolutely stellar ideas, Jamie. I am impressed with your vision. Sign me up!

Agreed, really hope you run it by Ernst (especially the "really unedited, every tape start and break" part, but really everything you said) again, just to be sure. IMHO, if you're going to present a session reel, you've got to do it right. I know even this might not cause some to become interested in the idea (and that's their business and that's fine), but this is the treatment these kinds of releases deserve, full stop :mrgreen:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:44 am

Just checked "Keith Flynn´s" superb recording website once more, found out that there are still tons of unreleased takes of the following Elvis movies: Kid Galahad/It Happened At The World´s Fair/Fun In Acapulco/Viva Las Vegas & Girl Happy! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:05 am

Mike Windgren on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:44 pm wrote:Just checked "Keith Flynn´s" superb recording website once more, found out that there are still tons of unreleased takes of the following Elvis movies: Kid Galahad/It Happened At The World´s Fair/Fun In Acapulco/Viva Las Vegas & Girl Happy!

Maybe they're almost all false starts!

We might want to call such a collection "Elvis: Classic False Starts, 1961-1963"

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:54 am

MaestroDavros on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:19 pm wrote:Agreed, really hope you run it by Ernst (especially the "really unedited, every tape start and break" part, but really everything you said) again, just to be sure. IMHO, if you're going to present a session reel, you've got to do it right. I know even this might not cause some to become interested in the idea (and that's their business and that's fine), but this is the treatment these kinds of releases deserve, full stop :mrgreen:

Oh, I've run it by him several times since at least 2012, maybe even earlier. I might have to send one more reminder, though. lol

drjohncarpenter wrote:Maybe they're almost all false starts!

We might want to call such a collection "Elvis: Classic False Starts, 1961-1963"

That's true in some cases, not in others. Sometimes it's long false starts. ;) lol

But in all sincerity, if this is how the label finally gives the "last word" (at least in CD format) for these, then it's good to not waste any of it (regardless of opinions on the material itself). I mean, we just got 20+ takes of "Almost" and a few years back got mono and stereo versions of two renditions of "Loving You" - we've all come way to far to worry about crossing any lines of pedantism. We flew by that a long time ago. :)

----

Now, if I'm REALLY "pie in the sky"ing here, I'd say release them in Blu-ray audio - still just CD quality audio because Sebastian has said that's the optimal format for most of it - but instead of the space being for audio quality, put interactive "sliders" on the screen so people can control every channel of the multitracks themselves. Imagine your own custom mix of any multitrack master? Maybe someday....in my dreams, lol

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:40 am

While we are at it, how about actual replicas of the reel-to-reel tapes. Granted, one will need equipment to play them on, but FTD needs to go all out here. Or, how about a 200+ CD box set representing every single outtake in chronological order?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:51 am

midnightx on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:40 pm wrote:While we are at it, how about actual replicas of the reel-to-reel tapes. Granted, one will need equipment to play them on, but FTD needs to go all out here. Or, how about a 200+ CD box set representing every single outtake in chronological order?

Eh, neither would entice me too much. For starters, I usually don't get something in a format that I can't play it in (except for my cassette collection I haven't touched in YEARS and still need to upgrade), and although the "every outtake ever" box sounds neat, I passed on The Complete Masters box because of its hefty price tag; such a box would likely be prohibitively expensive in this context, even for me. I'm fine with session sheets being reprinted though.

Seriously though, FTD need to find a good balance between being lavish and enticing, and being affordable if they ever want this concept to succeed. Again that's assuming this actually is the route they are taking.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:54 am

midnightx on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:40 pm wrote:While we are at it, how about actual replicas of the reel-to-reel tapes. Granted, one will need equipment to play them on, but FTD needs to go all out here. Or, how about a 200+ CD box set representing every single outtake in chronological order?
No need for sarcasm. Elvis deserves the best, costliest, presentation of his material. I don't feel the pain for some fans (not all) having to shell out extra money....cause the ridiculous amount given to bootlegs is peanuts compared to the official label(s) releases.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:54 am

midnightx on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:40 pm wrote:While we are at it, how about actual replicas of the reel-to-reel tapes. Granted, one will need equipment to play them on, but FTD needs to go all out here. Or, how about a 200+ CD box set representing every single outtake in chronological order?

Are you trying to be funny? not you.. can't possibly! so u must be serious. :mrgreen:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:58 am

JamieAKelley on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:54 pm wrote:
MaestroDavros on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:19 pm wrote:Agreed, really hope you run it by Ernst (especially the "really unedited, every tape start and break" part, but really everything you said) again, just to be sure. IMHO, if you're going to present a session reel, you've got to do it right. I know even this might not cause some to become interested in the idea (and that's their business and that's fine), but this is the treatment these kinds of releases deserve, full stop :mrgreen:

Oh, I've run it by him several times since at least 2012, maybe even earlier. I might have to send one more reminder, though. lol

drjohncarpenter wrote:Maybe they're almost all false starts!

That's true in some cases, not in others. Sometimes it's long false starts. ;) lol

But in all sincerity, if this is how the label finally gives the "last word" (at least in CD format) for these, then it's good to not waste any of it (regardless of opinions on the material itself). I mean, we just got 20+ takes of "Almost" and a few years back got mono and stereo versions of two renditions of "Loving You" - we've all come way to far to worry about crossing any lines of pedantism. We flew by that a long time ago. :)

----

Now, if I'm REALLY "pie in the sky"ing here, I'd say release them in Blu-ray audio - still just CD quality audio because Sebastian has said that's the optimal format for most of it - but instead of the space being for audio quality, put interactive "sliders" on the screen so people can control every channel of the multitracks themselves. Imagine your own custom mix of any multitrack master? Maybe someday....in my dreams, lol

wow! you are dreaming big! i like it tho! but seriously, if there is enough new material to warrant these deluxe releases, sign me up! I've gone this far, might as well keep going! i need it man, i need it.... hehehehe sorry couldn't resist!

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:58 am

midnightx on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:40 pm wrote:While we are at it, how about actual replicas of the reel-to-reel tapes. Granted, one will need equipment to play them on, but FTD needs to go all out here. Or, how about a 200+ CD box set representing every single outtake in chronological order?

Digital age, man - we barely have time for CDs anymore, let alone giant reels. ;)

Seriously, though, every FTD+ fits in Flac on my cell phone (150gb). I rarely touch the discs now except to look something up in the booklet.

I'm in for the 200+ CD box set, though. lol Maybe put every session on a 200GB micro SDXC memory card (just got one at Best Buy for $50 on Black Friday, how's that for cost saving? lol)

Seriously though, FTD need to find a good balance between being lavish and enticing, and being affordable if they ever want this concept to succeed. Again that's assuming this actually is the route they are taking.

Yep, hence my more serious idea - not much cost increase to make, lots of "bang-for-buck". The other was just a "that'd be cool" idea.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:55 pm

The possibility of passing reel to reel tapes to CD is simply fascinating.
1.- the sound is dry, with a quality superior to vinyl
2 .- There is a generation closer to the original tape than in the original US vinyl, which is closest to the original master tapes worldwide. Japanese vinyls are better pressed but clearly one or two generations worse
3 .- I have a friend who has passed to cd a few reel to reel tapes of Elvis commercial 7 1/2 and 3 3/4 ips, with top quality domestic machines, and the result is great. We can imagine with the original tapes.
4.- I am surprised that in the bootleg market, or in the liberalized rights until December 31, 1962, this system has not been used yet from RCA reel to reel commercial tapes.
The surprise would be huge for Elvis fans. :smt006 :smt007 ::rocks

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:33 pm

JamieAKelley on December 8th, 2017, 3:54 am wrote:

It would be great if you forward it to Ernst Jorgensen again, he might need some refreshing ideas and simply forgot about yours :wink:.

Mike Windgren wrote:Just checked "Keith Flynn´s" superb recording website once more, found out that there are still tons of unreleased takes of the following Elvis movies: Kid Galahad/It Happened At The World´s Fair/Fun In Acapulco/Viva Las Vegas & Girl Happy!

drjohncarpenter wrote:Maybe they're almost all false starts!.

JamieAKelley wrote:That's true in some cases, not in others. Sometimes it's long false starts.

Correct there´re still many unreleased full takes & long false starts, mainly from the movies: Fun In Acapulco/Viva Las Vegas & Girl Happy :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

P.S: At the same time "JamieAKelley" when you forward your Project, please don´t forget to tell Ernst Jorgensen about Doc´s suggested titles for this series :smt021.

drjohncarpenter wrote:We might want to call such a collection "Elvis: Classic False Starts, 1961-1963"

drjohncarpenter wrote: Maybe FTD can call the series "Classic Album Scraps."

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:56 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

It would be great if you forward it to Ernst Jorgensen again, he might need some refreshing ideas and simply forgot about yours :wink:.

Mike Windgren wrote:Just checked "Keith Flynn´s" superb recording website once more, found out that there are still tons of unreleased takes of the following Elvis movies: Kid Galahad/It Happened At The World´s Fair/Fun In Acapulco/Viva Las Vegas & Girl Happy!

JamieAKelley wrote:That's true in some cases, not in others. Sometimes it's long false starts.

Correct there´re still many unreleased full takes & long false starts, mainly from the movies: Fun In Acapulco/Viva Las Vegas & Girl Happy :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

P.S: At the same time "JamieAKelley" when you forward your Project, please don´t forget to tell Ernst Jorgensen about Doc´s suggested titles for this series :smt021.

drjohncarpenter wrote:We might want to call such a collection "Elvis: Classic False Starts, 1961-1963"

Maybe change the label name to 'STB' - 'Scraping The Barrel' Records while they're at it?
Moreso, perhaps they could remaster all the soundboards we've had too with better sound in a further bid to generate even more sales? The sky is the limit! :mrgreen:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:19 pm

When In Rome on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:56 pm wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Maybe change the label name to 'STB' - 'Scraping The Barrel' Records while they're at it?
Moreso, perhaps they could remaster all the soundboards we've had too with better sound in a further bid to generate even more sales? The sky is the limit! :mrgreen:

Or BTFD. That required less of a name change and basically uses the same initials. :lol: :wink:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Where´s "A Long Time Fan" when you need him..... :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:11 pm

clambake1967 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:55 am wrote:The possibility of passing reel to reel tapes to CD is simply fascinating.
1.- the sound is dry, with a quality superior to vinyl
2 .- There is a generation closer to the original tape than in the original US vinyl, which is closest to the original master tapes worldwide. Japanese vinyls are better pressed but clearly one or two generations worse
3 .- I have a friend who has passed to cd a few reel to reel tapes of Elvis commercial 7 1/2 and 3 3/4 ips, with top quality domestic machines, and the result is great. We can imagine with the original tapes.
4.- I am surprised that in the bootleg market, or in the liberalized rights until December 31, 1962, this system has not been used yet from RCA reel to reel commercial tapes.
The surprise would be huge for Elvis fans. :smt006 :smt007 ::rocks

Actually, the newest masters are transfers from the album master reels or reconstructed from backups (whether that be 2 or 3-track), which is why the sound is so good now.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:22 pm

WhenInRome wrote:Maybe change the label name to 'STB' - 'Scraping The Barrel' Records while they're at it?

Honestly, I'd buy more soundboards if I knew they weren't edited. So that'd be something, I guess. lol

As for STB - if this is the last of "the barrell", then that's what's left that's new. What is the problem with it? You'd rather the last parts just rot (digitally speaking, I guess, but still) in the vault somewhere because that meets some arbitrary idea of "good taste" from a theoretical someone who likely wouldn't give a crap about Elvis anyway? We happily blew by any sense of that supposed "high ground" back when disc 2 of the "Loving You" FTD was released. Who has time to worry about high ground - I've got outtakes to enjoy! lol

To my mind, I agree that this should have been done a long time ago. But if they're doing it now, I'm happy. I've been Frankenstein-editing sessions back together for years - it'd be nice to have it all in one quality and mix.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:27 pm

Some of you guys are a dream-come-true for Sony. You already own 80-90% of this material (perhaps even more in some instances depending on the album/session), but you are enthusiastically willing to pay a premium to repurchase it all over again in a new configuration. Pure insanity.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:50 pm

midnightx on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:27 am wrote:Some of you guys are a dream-come-true for Sony. You already own 80-90% of this material (perhaps even more in some instances depending on the album/session), but you are enthusiastically willing to pay a premium to repurchase it all over again in a new configuration. Pure insanity.

Depending on presentation and exactly what it is, then yeah I'll get them. If this essentially is the final word on these subjects, then it's no different than going from the masters we had in the 80's to where we are now (essentially the final word on those being the Sebastian/Vic/Kevan masters we have now) Not to mention that, if you have the Complete Masters box or the album box, half of the classic albums are retread for you (not in all cases, but still). This really isn't that different, when you think about it - and at least with this there's actually something new. Before it was the same stuff in different sound... which makes this a step up, even if a very tiny one. :)
Last edited by JamieAKelley on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:51 pm

JamieAKelley on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:50 am wrote:
midnightx on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:27 am wrote:Some of you guys are a dream-come-true for Sony. You already own 80-90% of this material (perhaps even more in some instances depending on the album/session), but you are enthusiastically willing to pay a premium to repurchase it all over again in a new configuration. Pure insanity.

Depending on presentation and exactly what it is, yeah. If this essentially is the final word on these subjects, then it's no different than going from the masters we had in the 80's to where we are now (essentially the final word on those being the Sebastian/Vic/Kevan masters we have now) Not to mention that, if you have the Complete Masters box or the album box, half of the classic albums are retread for you (not in all cases, but still). This really isn't that different, when you think about it - and at least with this there's actually something new. Before it was the same stuff in different sound... which makes this a step up, even if a very tiny one. :)

It will never be the "final word" because you guys will continue to support anything and everything.