Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Mike Windgren
Registered for: 21 years

Re: FTD - 3 CD sets

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
colonel snow on June 17th, 2018, 4:41 pm wrote:The LP's Blue Hawaii sessions vol. 1-2-3-4 on TCB label have a poor sound; the tracks on the LP's run too fast.
Besides the sessions are incomplete on this set. Although not complete the 3 LP Blue Hawaii box has better quality.

colinel snow
It´s my understanding that Wild In The Country 2 lp set & The Blue Hawaii 3 lp boxset was produced by the great Ger Rijff! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

colonel snow
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by colonel snow »

Mike Windgren on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:37 pm wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
colonel snow on June 17th, 2018, 4:41 pm wrote:The LP's Blue Hawaii sessions vol. 1-2-3-4 on TCB label have a poor sound; the tracks on the LP's run too fast.
Besides the sessions are incomplete on this set. Although not complete the 3 LP Blue Hawaii box has better quality.

colinel snow
It´s my understanding that Wild In The Country 2 lp set & The Blue Hawaii 3 lp boxset was produced by the great Ger Rijff! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Maybe he was involved with these LP's and they have a good sound. But 4 LP's Complete Blue Hawaii sessions vol. 1-2-3 on TCB label came from another source and these 4 LP's are crap.

colonel snow

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

Thank you for reviving this thread, drghanem. I fully agree that Blue Hawaii should be the next one out in the complete session series (after Viva Las Vegas, of course). There are plenty of outtakes left to offer something of value to the collector.

chop983
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by chop983 »

Ken Jensen on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:30 pm wrote:Thank you for reviving this thread, drghanem. I fully agree that Blue Hawaii should be the next one out in the complete session series (after Viva Las Vegas, of course). There are plenty of outtakes left to offer something of value to the collector.
I wouldn't buy either, but if there is such demand how come MRS haven't covered this off.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Ken Jensen on Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:30 pm wrote:Thank you for reviving this thread, drghanem. I fully agree that Blue Hawaii should be the next one out in the complete session series (after Viva Las Vegas, of course). There are plenty of outtakes left to offer something of value to the collector.
As before, it's impossible make sense of such an assertion, as it's simply not true. There aren't "plenty of outtakes" that "offer something of value to the collector" ... unless owning every scrap of tape on an official imprint is important.

FTD issued a 2xCD set in 2009, which remains in print, comprising almost two hours and forty minutes worth of music from the sessions, superbly mastered by audio engineers Vic Anesini and Sebastian Jeansson.

Does the world need more than that? Do collectors need even more outtakes of "Aloha Oe (section 2)," just a few more false starts of "Ito Eats" or "Steppin' Out of Line" or "Can't Help Falling In Love"? Did the producers somehow overlook such gems in compiling their 2009 collection?

No.

The hardcore fan has virtually every single thing from the March 1961 sessions at Radio Recorders. It is without question that the FTD team already chose the best alternates. Why is this such a difficult fact to accept?

Sure, for fans who must have every single note, burp and profanity, it's crucial to have that false start of "Rock-A-Hula Baby" from Sony, but for Elvis' legacy, which should always come first, it is not.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:D well here is my suggestion for a 3 x cd set from FTD

disc 1 Wichata 7th Oct 74 show
disc 2 San Antonio 8th Oct 74 show
disc 3 Abilene 9th Oct 74 show

:lol:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Elvis2000
Registered for: 7 years 11 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

YDKM on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:28 pm wrote::D well here is my suggestion for a 3 x cd set from FTD

I would also welcome this release. But I think the first South Bend and Detroit shows need to be paired up for a release. I think both these "ideas" would cover the final '74 tour properly.

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by emjel »

YDKM on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:28 pm wrote::D well here is my suggestion for a 3 x cd set from FTD

I hope that if the 3 CD Sets become a reality, Soundboards are the very last things to get released. I would hate them to get in the way of proper sessions being dragged out over future years.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

Elvis2000
Registered for: 7 years 11 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

emjel on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:38 pm wrote:

I hope that if the 3 CD Sets become a reality, Soundboards are the very last things to get released. I would hate them to get in the way of proper sessions being dragged out over future years.
They have released soundboards in the 7" line-up along side the albums, so if they wanted they could still do it again with the three disc sets. Instead of a traditional 5" set, releasing these October shows (Or any three shows) alongside a Viva Las Vegas set would be nice way to kick off the three disc set line-up.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Hopefully the 3cd of viva las vegas will be announced soon..

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

You are correct, John. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, valuable left to release. Ernst should heed your superb advice and shut down the FTD label immediately. :roll:

MaestroDavros
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by MaestroDavros »

emjel on Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:38 pm wrote:

I feel the same. A potentially good result of these sets existing would be that it would break up the onslaught of soundboard releases, providing a better release schedule. Releasing 3-CD soundboard sets as well would negate this benefit IMO.

drjohncarpenter

YDKM on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:28 pm wrote::D well here is my suggestion for a 3 x cd set from FTD

Three discs of October 1974 soundboards may not be the greatest idea.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84903&p=1669692#p1669692

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

drjohncarpenter on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:38 am wrote:
YDKM on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:28 pm wrote::D well here is my suggestion for a 3 x cd set from FTD

Three discs of October 1974 soundboards may not be the greatest idea.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84903&p=1669692#p1669692
well maybe .... BUT as nothing is known to Exist from Oct 74 from Lake Tahoe later Oct 74 and more of it might represent this end of year concerts.
i do accept however that my suggest of last 3 shows might NOT be the best idea and welcome other ideas too.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Shawn1968
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Shawn1968 »

drjohncarpenter on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:56 pm wrote:
Ken Jensen on Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:30 pm wrote:Thank you for reviving this thread, drghanem. I fully agree that Blue Hawaii should be the next one out in the complete session series (after Viva Las Vegas, of course). There are plenty of outtakes left to offer something of value to the collector.
As before, it's impossible make sense of such an assertion, as it's simply not true. There aren't "plenty of outtakes" that "offer something of value to the collector" ... unless owning every scrap of tape on an official imprint is important.

FTD issued a 2xCD set in 2009, which remains in print, comprising almost two hours and forty minutes worth of music from the sessions, superbly mastered by audio engineers Vic Anesini and Sebastian Jeansson.

Does the world need more than that? Do collectors need even more outtakes of "Aloha Oe (section 2)," just a few more false starts of "Ito Eats" or "Steppin' Out of Line" or "Can't Help Falling In Love"? Did the producers somehow overlook such gems in compiling their 2009 collection?

No.

The hardcore fan has virtually every single thing from the March 1961 sessions at Radio Recorders. It is without question that the FTD team already chose the best alternates. Why is this such a difficult fact to accept?

Sure, for fans who must have every single note, burp and profanity, it's crucial to have that false start of "Rock-A-Hula Baby" from Sony, but for Elvis' legacy, which should always come first, it is not.
Have you heard the material that is still in the vault? If not, how do you know that the material is not at least equal to what was released? And that’s subjective anyway...

drjohncarpenter

Shawn1968 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:25 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:56 pm wrote:As before, it's impossible make sense of such an assertion, as it's simply not true. There aren't "plenty of outtakes" that "offer something of value to the collector" ... unless owning every scrap of tape on an official imprint is important.

No.

Have you heard the material that is still in the vault? If not, how do you know that the material is not at least equal to what was released? And that’s subjective anyway...
"how do you know that the material is not at least equal"

How? Because I know what I am talking about.

It is ALL available to collectors, the MONO reels leaked thirty-plus years ago:

https://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/610321.html
https://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/610322.html
https://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/610323.html

FTD already chose the best alternates. And the 2009 set is in superb STEREO sound.

It is not "subjective." End of story.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

MaestroDavros
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by MaestroDavros »

drjohncarpenter on Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:37 pm wrote:
Shawn1968 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:25 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:56 pm wrote:As before, it's impossible make sense of such an assertion, as it's simply not true. There aren't "plenty of outtakes" that "offer something of value to the collector" ... unless owning every scrap of tape on an official imprint is important.

No.

"how do you know that the material is not at least equal"

How? Because I know what I am talking about.

It is ALL available to collectors, the MONO reels leaked thirty-plus years ago:

https://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/610321.html
https://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/610322.html
https://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/610323.html

FTD already chose the best alternates. And the 2009 set is in superb STEREO sound.

It is not "subjective." End of story.
There is a key difference in what a "complete" set would set out to do though. You are correct that "FTD already chose the best alternates" for the 2009 set, and that the outtakes have excellent stereo mixes courtesy of Vic Anesini and superb mastering all around by Sebastian Jeansson. But what that release set out to do (present a 2-CD set containing the original stereo album master with selected outtakes from the vaults) and what a potential sessions set would set out to do (likely present 3-4 CD's containing everything on the session reels and the masters remixed) are in my eyes 2 very different things. Trying to equate them as one and the same is pointless as this new release concept is as different from the "Classic/Soundtrack Album" series as that series was from the old compilation releases from earlier in FTD's lifetime. It's a paradigm shift.

I've heard those old Blue Hawaii boots, and the sound quality isn't that great as those are not only in mono, but suffer severe generation loss. I welcome the chance to hear those tracks not on the FTD in upgraded stereophonic sound. Although I would personally wait on Blue Hawaii for a little bit as I think priority should take place to session material that has the greatest potential for a sonic upgrade, like VLV.

drjohncarpenter

MaestroDavros on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:46 pm wrote:There is a key difference in what a "complete" set would set out to do though. You are correct that "FTD already chose the best alternates" for the 2009 set, and that the outtakes have excellent stereo mixes courtesy of Vic Anesini and superb mastering all around by Sebastian Jeansson. But what that release set out to do (present a 2-CD set containing the original stereo album master with selected outtakes from the vaults) and what a potential sessions set would set out to do (likely present 3-4 CD's containing everything on the session reels and the masters remixed) are in my eyes 2 very different things. Trying to equate them as one and the same is pointless as this new release concept is as different from the "Classic/Soundtrack Album" series as that series was from the old compilation releases from earlier in FTD's lifetime. It's a paradigm shift.

I've heard those old Blue Hawaii boots, and the sound quality isn't that great as those are not only in mono, but suffer severe generation loss. I welcome the chance to hear those tracks not on the FTD in upgraded stereophonic sound. Although I would personally wait on Blue Hawaii for a little bit as I think priority should take place to session material that has the greatest potential for a sonic upgrade, like VLV.
The suggested idea would add nothing to the canon, zero, but would no doubt thrill the pedant collector.

You are arguing for "upgraded stereophonic sound" of almost nothing more than a bunch of false starts, missed notes, vocal miscues, and probably a few burps and off-mic jokes.

No, thank you.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

emjel

Post by emjel »

chop983 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:24 pm wrote:
Ken Jensen on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:30 pm wrote:Thank you for reviving this thread, drghanem. I fully agree that Blue Hawaii should be the next one out in the complete session series (after Viva Las Vegas, of course). There are plenty of outtakes left to offer something of value to the collector.
I wouldn't buy either, but if there is such demand how come MRS haven't covered this off.
They did produce an extended album version with a handful of outtakes - 5' packaging with a 40 page book. Maybe they will revisit again after their Hollywood 50s sessions.

~

drghanem
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by drghanem »

As the Doc says, I'm probably one of those pedant collectors then. Guess I can live with that as it's true. :lol:

"I´m limp as a rag, worn out when a show´s over". Elvis in Tacoma, fall 1957.
Long, Lonely Highway, by Ger Rijff (Tutti Frutti productions, 1985)

drjohncarpenter

drghanem on Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:33 am wrote:As the Doc says, I'm probably one of those pedant collectors then. Guess I can live with that as it's true. :lol:
False starts of "Ito Eats" in "upgraded stereophonic sound" will be a dream come true, yeah?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

drghanem on June 18th, 2018, 1:33 pm wrote:As the Doc says, I'm probably one of those pedant collectors then. Guess I can live with that as it's true. :lol:
I may be in the same league :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

YDKM on Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:28 pm wrote::D well here is my suggestion for a 3 x cd set from FTD

I would purchase this as you've stated, YDKM! Would make for a terrific 3-CD set from FTD!

rlj

emjel

Post by emjel »

I always thought that the idea behind the proposed 3 CD Sets was to concentrate on studio recording, offering complete sessions on the best sessions such as EIB, FEIM and SFE or worthwhile upgrades to movie sessions such as VLV and BH. I doubt Ernst has Soundboards in mind at all.

~

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by sweetangeline »

emjel wrote: I doubt Ernst has Soundboards in mind at all.
I tend to agree!!