Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: It's Impossible

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:03 pm

jeanno on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:29 am wrote:
jetblack on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:22 pm wrote:
fn2drive on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:18 am wrote:Arguably MSG and Aloha were event drive. That they came on the heels of each other was total overload and foolish. And Memphis-what was the event. Oh yea an excuse for Elvis’ shopworn road act to be recorded so he didn’t have to hit the studio but could fulfill his obligation. Live tracks on TTWII, Moody Blue+EIC. It’s Impossible on Fool, Welcome to My World and Elvis’ 68 TV Special. Oh and let’s not forget the masterpiece Having Fun On Stage that was live too. Or From EP Blvd- recorded live. Hardly ‘live’ overload. Live recordings replaced movie soundtracks. I know Parker was a genius. Well perhaps because if it was Elvis’ Jarvis inspired studio work it didn’t sell.


The amount of errors in the above boggles the mind.

Here we go:-

Madison and Aloha did NOT 'come on the heels of each other' as they were released 8 months apart + the sales figures speak for themselves with 'Madison' selling half a million within 2 months of release and 'Aloha' initially selling 2 million in the USA alone. Nothing 'foolish' there.

As Elvis recorded 27 movie soundtracks in the 1960's you know better than stating 'live recordings replaced movie soundtracks' in the 1970's.

What Parker and Jarvis have to do with this converation only you know. It seems some just can't help bringing up their names when it is irrelevant to the conversation.

Andy

John Landau:
"My God! Another live album from my hero. He's turning them out as fast as he once made movie soundtracks. And with as little point, in view of the fact that the material, patter, structure and sound vary so little from record to record. On the other hand, they sell better than his current studio albums, and those haven't exactly been aesthetic triumphs, so maybe there is some logic to it."

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/aloha-from-hawaii-via-satellite-19730329 (full 1973 review)



Clearly Mr Landau failed to notice the amount of new to live album tracks contained in the package, which I outlined earlier, and the fact that it was the soundtrack to a historic television event. If there was no accompanying LP, people would have been asking why not. Perhaps fb2drive us Mr Landaus twin brother.

Re: It's Impossible

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:07 pm

fn2drive on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:55 pm wrote:MSG and Aloha were back to back mainstream releases separated by a couple of Camden cr*pfests. Sorry to confuse you with facts. As noted too many live records and live performances. They have there place but not as a continuous replacement for studio work.


Then they WERE NOT back to back releases were they and as I have already stated there was 8 months between them.

You really should take a peek at Elvis' discography to see that Elvis' live albums (again) WERE NOT a replacement for his studio work.

If your too lazy I am pleased to list his studio albums for you from 1968 to 1973 or even till 1977.

Andy

Re: It's Impossible

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:45 pm

jetblack on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:07 am wrote:
fn2drive on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:55 pm wrote:MSG and Aloha were back to back mainstream releases separated by a couple of Camden cr*pfests. Sorry to confuse you with facts. As noted too many live records and live performances. They have there place but not as a continuous replacement for studio work.


Then they WERE NOT back to back releases were they and as I have already stated there was 8 months between them.

You really should take a peek at Elvis' discography to see that Elvis' live albums (again) WERE NOT a replacement for his studio work.

If your too lazy I am pleased to list his studio albums for you from 1968 to 1973 or even till 1977.

Andy


Thats pretty much back to back for any artist, especially with live albums but they sold better than the studio albums which is an indication that Elvis' popularity was now mainly as a touring act which I think is pretty sad considering the magic this man had once achieved in a recording studio.

Re: It's Impossible

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:02 pm

r&b on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:45 pm wrote:Thats pretty much back to back for any artist, especially with live albums but they sold better than the studio albums which is an indication that Elvis' popularity was now mainly as a touring act which I think is pretty sad considering the magic this man had once achieved in a recording studio.


Oh brother!!!!!

consecutive.
"his back-to-back victories in the Hungarian and Belgian Grands Prix"

'Aloha' is NOT the next album released after 'Madison Square Garden'.

Andy

Re: It's Impossible

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:05 pm

jetblack on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:07 am wrote:
fn2drive on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:55 pm wrote:MSG and Aloha were back to back mainstream releases separated by a couple of Camden cr*pfests. Sorry to confuse you with facts. As noted too many live records and live performances. They have there place but not as a continuous replacement for studio work.


Then they WERE NOT back to back releases were they and as I have already stated there was 8 months between them.

You really should take a peek at Elvis' discography to see that Elvis' live albums (again) WERE NOT a replacement for his studio work.

If your too lazy I am pleased to list his studio albums for you from 1968 to 1973 or even till 1977.

Andy


Please advise us as to Elvis' RCA LPs between MSG and Aloha live outings. Sorry Camden wasnt his or a mainstream label. Oh whoops, cant do it. Sorry if the facts hurt.

Re: It's Impossible

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:30 pm

fn2drive on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:05 pm wrote:Please advise us as to Elvis' RCA LPs between MSG and Aloha live outings. Sorry Camden wasnt his or a mainstream label. Oh whoops, cant do it. Sorry if the facts hurt.


Do you know how well the 'Burning Love' album did? 700,000 copies. Housing both sides of his recent million selling single.

Yes, you guessed it this was the album that followed 'Madison Square Garden'.

To state anything else is ridiculous.

Andy

Re: It's Impossible

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 pm

jetblack on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:30 am wrote:
fn2drive on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:05 pm wrote:Please advise us as to Elvis' RCA LPs between MSG and Aloha live outings. Sorry Camden wasnt his or a mainstream label. Oh whoops, cant do it. Sorry if the facts hurt.


Do you know how well the 'Burning Love' album did? 700,000 copies. Housing both sides of his recent million selling single.

Yes, you guessed it this was the album that followed 'Madison Square Garden'.

To state anything else is ridiculous.

Andy


So the answer, as you well know and are sadly unable to admit is, there were no RCA LPs and no original unreleased material between the 2 lives albums. Fans were drowning in live Elvis LPs-the cheapest and easiest way to fulfill contract obligations.As we know buyers of Burning Love were burned-another Parker career killing decision. No wait Parker did it and he was great.

Re: It's Impossible

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:47 pm

fn2drive on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:29 pm wrote:
jetblack on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:30 am wrote:
fn2drive on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:05 pm wrote:Please advise us as to Elvis' RCA LPs between MSG and Aloha live outings. Sorry Camden wasnt his or a mainstream label. Oh whoops, cant do it. Sorry if the facts hurt.


Do you know how well the 'Burning Love' album did? 700,000 copies. Housing both sides of his recent million selling single.

Yes, you guessed it this was the album that followed 'Madison Square Garden'.

To state anything else is ridiculous.

Andy


So the answer, as you well know and are sadly unable to admit is, there were no RCA LPs and no original unreleased material between the 2 lives albums. Fans were drowning in live Elvis LPs-the cheapest and easiest way to fulfill contract obligations.As we know buyers of Burning Love were burned-another Parker career killing decision. No wait Parker did it and he was great.

Yeah, Parker: the genius behind the King...

Re: It's Impossible

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:01 pm

fn2drive on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 pm wrote:there were no RCA LPs and no original unreleased material between the 2 lives albums. Fans were drowning in live Elvis LPs-the cheapest and easiest way to fulfill contract obligations.As we know buyers of Burning Love were burned-another Parker career killing decision. No wait Parker did it and he was great.

Apart from the Camden albums 'Hits From His Movies' and 'Burning Love', wasn't the 'He Touched Me' album released between 'Madison Square Garden' and 'Aloha'?

Re: It's Impossible

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:17 pm

Elfan on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 pm wrote:
fn2drive on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 pm wrote:there were no RCA LPs and no original unreleased material between the 2 lives albums. Fans were drowning in live Elvis LPs-the cheapest and easiest way to fulfill contract obligations.As we know buyers of Burning Love were burned-another Parker career killing decision. No wait Parker did it and he was great.

Apart from the Camden albums 'Hits From His Movies' and 'Burning Love', wasn't the 'He Touched Me' album released between 'Madison Square Garden' and 'Aloha'?


No. before (alas)

Re: It's Impossible

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:24 pm

poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:17 pm wrote:
Elfan on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 pm wrote:
fn2drive on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 pm wrote:there were no RCA LPs and no original unreleased material between the 2 lives albums. Fans were drowning in live Elvis LPs-the cheapest and easiest way to fulfill contract obligations.As we know buyers of Burning Love were burned-another Parker career killing decision. No wait Parker did it and he was great.

Apart from the Camden albums 'Hits From His Movies' and 'Burning Love', wasn't the 'He Touched Me' album released between 'Madison Square Garden' and 'Aloha'?


No. before (alas)

Doh! ::rocks

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:21 am

Elfan on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:01 pm wrote:
fn2drive on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 pm wrote:there were no RCA LPs and no original unreleased material between the 2 lives albums. Fans were drowning in live Elvis LPs-the cheapest and easiest way to fulfill contract obligations.As we know buyers of Burning Love were burned-another Parker career killing decision. No wait Parker did it and he was great.

Apart from the Camden albums 'Hits From His Movies' and 'Burning Love', wasn't the 'He Touched Me' album released between 'Madison Square Garden' and 'Aloha'?


The live LPs were separated by Burning Love and Separate Ways-2 budget decks consuming one great and one solid single. More Parker bait and switch. More live albums and budget albums-pile em high and deep. Quality, legacy nope $$$$.

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:59 am

Of course, these people are moaning about the two live albums close together.

If, instead, the vaults had been raided for an LP of studio leftovers, we would have the same people moaning and groaning again, saying such an LP shouldn't have been released.

And if the live albums weren't released, they would also be here wondering why RCA didn't record such momentous occasions as the satellite broadcast and Elvis at MSG.

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:28 am

fn2drive on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:30 pm wrote:Bad enough Elvis was trying take Englebert’s crown as King of the MOR Housewives but to try to wrest the crown of The King of the Grandma’s from Perry Como seemed ridiculous. Though Dennis Sanders and Mother would have been pleased, just because Elvis was capable of singing a song like this well didn’t mean he should have squandered his talent on it. Another example of the premature end of Elvis’ recorded music career. Of course adding insult to injury, it was a single live cut on the career killer Fool LP. Another Jarvis compilation of scraps from the dumpster.


All this just because it wasn´t rock´n´roll...just deal with it. He didn´t like to sing songs you would have wanted him to. You are not that great of a EP fan you wish you were...

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:48 am

poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 pm wrote:Of course, these people are moaning about the two live albums close together.

If, instead, the vaults had been raided for an LP of studio leftovers, we would have the same people moaning and groaning again, saying such an LP shouldn't have been released.

And if the live albums weren't released, they would also be here wondering why RCA didn't record such momentous occasions as the satellite broadcast and Elvis at MSG.
Those two events needed an album release. And great that it was done.

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:03 am

Juan Luis on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 pm wrote:Of course, these people are moaning about the two live albums close together.

If, instead, the vaults had been raided for an LP of studio leftovers, we would have the same people moaning and groaning again, saying such an LP shouldn't have been released.

And if the live albums weren't released, they would also be here wondering why RCA didn't record such momentous occasions as the satellite broadcast and Elvis at MSG.
Those two events needed an album release. And great that it was done.

The MSG engagement did not need an album release. It is unlikely that many people would have questioned the lack of an accompanying album had RCA not recorded the New York engagement. That said, most will agree that the live album was enjoyable.

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:08 am

midnightx on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:03 pm wrote:
Juan Luis on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 pm wrote:Of course, these people are moaning about the two live albums close together.

If, instead, the vaults had been raided for an LP of studio leftovers, we would have the same people moaning and groaning again, saying such an LP shouldn't have been released.

And if the live albums weren't released, they would also be here wondering why RCA didn't record such momentous occasions as the satellite broadcast and Elvis at MSG.
Those two events needed an album release. And great that it was done.

The MSG engagement did not need an album release. It is unlikely that many people would have questioned the lack of an accompanying album had RCA not recorded the New York engagement. That said, most will agree that the live album was enjoyable.
It was planned and well planned. Great event great recording...ask Rob! :lol:

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:08 am

midnightx on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:03 am wrote:
Juan Luis on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 pm wrote:Of course, these people are moaning about the two live albums close together.

If, instead, the vaults had been raided for an LP of studio leftovers, we would have the same people moaning and groaning again, saying such an LP shouldn't have been released.

And if the live albums weren't released, they would also be here wondering why RCA didn't record such momentous occasions as the satellite broadcast and Elvis at MSG.
Those two events needed an album release. And great that it was done.

The MSG engagement did not need an album release. It is unlikely that many people would have questioned the lack of an accompanying album had RCA not recorded the New York engagement. That said, most will agree that the live album was enjoyable.


It was not needed so much that it was rush-released, received mostly great reviews, went double-platinum, and was the highest-placing Elvis album in the charts since the NBC TV special soundtrack. Yeah. Terrible choice releasing that.

Also a terrible choice was releasing Aloha, which went to #1.

Man, what were they thinking? :roll:

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:11 am

I'm still waiting for the Standing Room Only LP that was promised on the An American Trilogy picture sleeve, and the Elvis On Tour soundtrack album! :lol:

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:13 am

poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 pm wrote:
midnightx on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:03 am wrote:
Juan Luis on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 pm wrote:Of course, these people are moaning about the two live albums close together.

If, instead, the vaults had been raided for an LP of studio leftovers, we would have the same people moaning and groaning again, saying such an LP shouldn't have been released.

And if the live albums weren't released, they would also be here wondering why RCA didn't record such momentous occasions as the satellite broadcast and Elvis at MSG.
Those two events needed an album release. And great that it was done.

The MSG engagement did not need an album release. It is unlikely that many people would have questioned the lack of an accompanying album had RCA not recorded the New York engagement. That said, most will agree that the live album was enjoyable.


It was not needed so much that it was rush-released, received mostly great reviews, went double-platinum, and was the highest-placing Elvis album in the charts since the NBC TV special soundtrack. Yeah. Terrible choice releasing that.

Also a terrible choice was releasing Aloha, which went to #1.

Man, what were they thinking? :roll:

I have no problem with MSG or Aloha. I simply pointed out that RCA did not need to release an album from Elvis' MSG engagement.

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:15 am

Pedantry at it's finest. Nit-picking over the connotation of a word truly is a sad act of desperately clutching at straws... in the traditional sense. :wink:

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:17 am

midnightx on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 pm wrote:
midnightx on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:03 am wrote:
Juan Luis on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 pm wrote:Of course, these people are moaning about the two live albums close together.

If, instead, the vaults had been raided for an LP of studio leftovers, we would have the same people moaning and groaning again, saying such an LP shouldn't have been released.

And if the live albums weren't released, they would also be here wondering why RCA didn't record such momentous occasions as the satellite broadcast and Elvis at MSG.
Those two events needed an album release. And great that it was done.

The MSG engagement did not need an album release. It is unlikely that many people would have questioned the lack of an accompanying album had RCA not recorded the New York engagement. That said, most will agree that the live album was enjoyable.


It was not needed so much that it was rush-released, received mostly great reviews, went double-platinum, and was the highest-placing Elvis album in the charts since the NBC TV special soundtrack. Yeah. Terrible choice releasing that.

Also a terrible choice was releasing Aloha, which went to #1.

Man, what were they thinking? :roll:

I have no problem with MSG or Aloha. I simply pointed out that RCA did not need to release an album from Elvis' MSG engagement.
I could read it now if MSG hadn't been released..."an opportunity lost in New York! That F$%^& Colonel!".. :lol:

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:24 am

Juan Luis on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 pm wrote:
midnightx on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 pm wrote:
midnightx on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:03 am wrote:
Juan Luis on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 pm wrote:Of course, these people are moaning about the two live albums close together.

If, instead, the vaults had been raided for an LP of studio leftovers, we would have the same people moaning and groaning again, saying such an LP shouldn't have been released.

And if the live albums weren't released, they would also be here wondering why RCA didn't record such momentous occasions as the satellite broadcast and Elvis at MSG.
Those two events needed an album release. And great that it was done.

The MSG engagement did not need an album release. It is unlikely that many people would have questioned the lack of an accompanying album had RCA not recorded the New York engagement. That said, most will agree that the live album was enjoyable.


It was not needed so much that it was rush-released, received mostly great reviews, went double-platinum, and was the highest-placing Elvis album in the charts since the NBC TV special soundtrack. Yeah. Terrible choice releasing that.

Also a terrible choice was releasing Aloha, which went to #1.

Man, what were they thinking? :roll:

I have no problem with MSG or Aloha. I simply pointed out that RCA did not need to release an album from Elvis' MSG engagement.
I could read it now if MSG hadn't been released..."an opportunity lost in New York! That F$%^& Colonel!".. :lol:

A lot of major artists played MSG and did not release live albums. It would not have been such an obvious or glaring omission as you think. And while the MSG LP is a fun live album, it is not exactly one of the greatest live albums ever released.

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:25 am

midnightx on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:24 am wrote:
Juan Luis on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 pm wrote:
midnightx on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 pm wrote:
midnightx on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:03 am wrote:
Juan Luis on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 pm wrote:Of course, these people are moaning about the two live albums close together.

If, instead, the vaults had been raided for an LP of studio leftovers, we would have the same people moaning and groaning again, saying such an LP shouldn't have been released.

And if the live albums weren't released, they would also be here wondering why RCA didn't record such momentous occasions as the satellite broadcast and Elvis at MSG.
Those two events needed an album release. And great that it was done.

The MSG engagement did not need an album release. It is unlikely that many people would have questioned the lack of an accompanying album had RCA not recorded the New York engagement. That said, most will agree that the live album was enjoyable.


It was not needed so much that it was rush-released, received mostly great reviews, went double-platinum, and was the highest-placing Elvis album in the charts since the NBC TV special soundtrack. Yeah. Terrible choice releasing that.

Also a terrible choice was releasing Aloha, which went to #1.

Man, what were they thinking? :roll:

I have no problem with MSG or Aloha. I simply pointed out that RCA did not need to release an album from Elvis' MSG engagement.
I could read it now if MSG hadn't been released..."an opportunity lost in New York! That F$%^& Colonel!".. :lol:

A lot of major artists played MSG and did not release live albums. It would not have been such an obvious or glaring omission as you think. And while the MSG LP is a fun live album, it is not exactly one of the greatest live albums ever released.


Who cares if it was one of the great live albums ever released? Neither was In person or On Stage!

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:28 am

midnightx on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:24 pm wrote:
Juan Luis on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 pm wrote:
midnightx on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 pm wrote:
midnightx on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:03 am wrote:
Juan Luis on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:48 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 pm wrote:Of course, these people are moaning about the two live albums close together.

If, instead, the vaults had been raided for an LP of studio leftovers, we would have the same people moaning and groaning again, saying such an LP shouldn't have been released.

And if the live albums weren't released, they would also be here wondering why RCA didn't record such momentous occasions as the satellite broadcast and Elvis at MSG.
Those two events needed an album release. And great that it was done.

The MSG engagement did not need an album release. It is unlikely that many people would have questioned the lack of an accompanying album had RCA not recorded the New York engagement. That said, most will agree that the live album was enjoyable.


It was not needed so much that it was rush-released, received mostly great reviews, went double-platinum, and was the highest-placing Elvis album in the charts since the NBC TV special soundtrack. Yeah. Terrible choice releasing that.

Also a terrible choice was releasing Aloha, which went to #1.

Man, what were they thinking? :roll:

I have no problem with MSG or Aloha. I simply pointed out that RCA did not need to release an album from Elvis' MSG engagement.
I could read it now if MSG hadn't been released..."an opportunity lost in New York! That F$%^& Colonel!".. :lol:

A lot of major artists played MSG and did not release live albums. It would not have been such an obvious or glaring omission as you think. And while the MSG LP is a fun live album, it is not exactly one of the greatest live albums ever released.
It is excellent compared to many great ones that were tampered (overdubs) with after the fact. A 100% authentic EP live album.