Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: It's Impossible

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:32 am

midnightx on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:24 am wrote: And while the MSG LP is a fun live album, it is not exactly one of the greatest live albums ever released.

It's one of the greatest Elvis Presley live albums ever released and that takes some beatin'! When he was on his game he was pretty good, that guy. :wink:

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:48 am

Hard Rocker on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:32 pm wrote:
midnightx on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:24 am wrote: And while the MSG LP is a fun live album, it is not exactly one of the greatest live albums ever released.

It's one of the greatest Elvis Presley live albums ever released and that takes some beatin'! When he was on his game he was pretty good, that guy. :wink:

It was during his lifetime. With all of the 1969 and 1970 complete shows released since 2000, the MSG live disc has been surpassed. Nevertheless, it is still a good album all these years later, and one of his more memorable releases from the 1970's.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:53 am

midnightx on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:48 pm wrote:

It was during his lifetime. With all of the 1969 and 1970 complete shows released since 2000, the MSG live disc has been surpassed. Nevertheless, it is still a good album all these years later, and one of his more memorable releases from the 1970's.
Even with better performances. Vegas is still a notch below electricity captured out there on tour. Multi-track of course.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:21 am

midnightx on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:48 am wrote:

It's nice that you prefer the 69 and 70 shows but as per the context of the original discussion these were not released in his lifetime as mainstream releases.

But personally, I'd still take MSG regardless. It's one of the best Presley live albums and it's good that it was released at the time. It certainly was quite successful!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:35 am

Hard Rocker on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:21 am wrote:

It's nice that you prefer the 69 and 70 shows but as per the context of the original discussion these were not released in his lifetime as mainstream releases.

But personally, I'd still take MSG regardless. It's one of the best Presley live albums and it's good that it was released at the time. It certainly was quite successful!

For me, for electricity, intensity and rock'n'roll, "In Person" is the one: pure energy!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Hard Rocker on December 7th, 2017, 3:32 am wrote:

Yeah really great and a big seller on the Elvis catalog :smt020. Simply one of the coolest Elvis live lp cover! 8). Bye for now :smt006

*Certified Gold on August 4, 1972.
*Platinum on May 20, 1988.
*2x Platinum on March 27, 1992.
*3x Platinum on July 15, 1999.

763_foto1_product_groot.jpg

Source: https://wiki2.org/en/Elvis:_As_Recorded ... are_Garden
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:18 pm

Yes, it's an iconic cover too. The MSG appearances were a big deal at the time and you can see why there was an album released. Did RCA "need" to release it? Well, it doesn't "need" to do anything aside from make decisions that adds to the company's profitability. But clearly, not releasing this album would've been a missed opportunity and hence a poor decision. It's a no-brainer, begrudgers bedamned.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Hard Rocker on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:18 am wrote:Yes, it's an iconic cover too. The MSG appearances were a big deal at the time and you can see why there was an album released. Did RCA "need" to release it? Well, it doesn't "need" to do anything aside from make decisions that adds to the company's profitability. But clearly, not releasing this album would've been a missed opportunity and hence a poor decision. It's a no-brainer, begrudgers bedamned.

The appearances were only a big deal in NY at the time and they were nothing special ie Elvis brought his Vegas act to NY. Nor was MSG as iconic as it is viewed today. These were very good performances and that they released a full concert LP for the first time was great as well. Had they released a complete performance from the On Tour shows no one would have been clamoring for this show to be released as it would have been redundant as there was nothing unique. The cover is among the worst though Aloha clearly wins absolute worst. For neither event they couldn’t even manage to use photos from the show. But the track selection and pacing but the classic hits are performed with a fair degree of care and from the drop of the needle and 2001, you are invited to something special. This has always been my favorite live LP though Memphis to Vegas and On stage are superior performances. Today I would say Hot August Night tops this but post Elvis Country, this remains my go to LP and it is devoid of Felton Jarvis’ magic.

You do miss the broad point-too many live LPs and live tracks as filler substituting for studio recordings done with care simply because they were easier and cheaper and of course were all that sold. Much like how Parker stripped Elvis of his ambitions to be a serious actor because the travelogues sold.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 pm

jeanno on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:35 am wrote:
Hard Rocker on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:21 am wrote:

For me, for electricity, intensity and rock'n'roll, "In Person" is the one: pure energy!
Yes. But it isn't the same and cannot be compared with audiences on tour being there 100% for Elvis. Not for dinner, gambling, drinking...Elvis doing Vegas "comedy" .."pulling my cord, come on baby hold still!"... Most of the Vegas audience (sans the real fans), did not deserve him!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:04 pm

In Person is a good live album but I prefer MSG.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Hard Rocker on December 7th, 2017, 3:04 pm wrote:In Person is a good live album but I prefer MSG.

Right, Person is not a complete concert, MSG is! :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:30 pm

Hard Rocker on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:04 pm wrote:In Person is a good live album but I prefer MSG.

Gotta agree.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:33 pm

Mike Windgren on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:08 pm wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Hard Rocker on December 7th, 2017, 3:04 pm wrote:In Person is a good live album but I prefer MSG.

Right, Person is not a complete concert, MSG is! :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

A good and important observation.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:56 pm

But what about the quality? Elvis in Person was better than the MSG LP.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:44 pm

jurasic1968 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm wrote:But what about the quality? Elvis in Person was better than the MSG LP.

What about the quality? In what way was EIP better? Lay out the parameters, and maybe someone will answer...without it, nothing.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:52 pm

jurasic1968 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:56 pm wrote:But what about the quality? Elvis in Person was better than the MSG LP.

Sorry my friend but I cannot agree. MSG is much better. It's all a matter of opinion I suppose.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:04 pm

OK. But what about Heartbreak Hotel? Or Love Me Tender? And All Shook Up? Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel? Hound Dog (slow and fast version I Know but....?) I am talking about the MSG concerts.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:16 pm

So am I, amigo. I just do not agree, that's all. I prefer MSG. Elvis In Person to me is a bit like the 68 Special on stage... but not as good. MSG is The King on the road, 3 years after his return to live concerts with the engine purring and the wheels greased. I think it's a fantastic album. But hey, if you prefer EIP then that is cool too! I do enjoy it as well.... just not as much! :)

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 pm

jurasic1968 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:56 am wrote:But what about the quality? Elvis in Person was better than the MSG LP.

The live half of the 1969 double LP is far superior in terms of vocals, arrangements, recording and song selection. The songs are electric. A simple test is to play "Suspicious Minds" from each album back to back. The recording from 1969 is stunning, a powerhouse rendition.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:22 pm

Nope, that's not a "test". That's an opinion. :wink:

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:31 pm

Yeah, you just have to compare Suspicious Minds on both álbums: at MSG, it's the King of autopilote. In 1969, it's the King of Rock at full blast.
And the cover of "in person" is so much cooler!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:35 pm

No chance! The cover of MSG is one of his best. Very iconic image. MSG wins there too. 8)

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:06 pm

jeanno on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:31 am wrote:Yeah, you just have to compare Suspicious Minds on both álbums: at MSG, it's the King of autopilote. In 1969, it's the King of Rock at full blast.
And the cover of "in person" is so much cooler!

The care, energy and commitment in 1969 is there from start-to-finish. This is not the case three years later.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:24 pm

Scarre on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:30 pm wrote:
Hard Rocker on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:04 pm wrote:In Person is a good live album but I prefer MSG.

Gotta agree.

Me, too..for various and obvious reasons.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:31 pm

drjohncarpenter on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:17 pm wrote:
jurasic1968 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:56 am wrote:But what about the quality? Elvis in Person was better than the MSG LP.

The live half of the 1969 double LP is far superior in terms of vocals, arrangements, recording and song selection. The songs are electric. A simple test is to play "Suspicious Minds" from each album back to back. The recording from 1969 is stunning, a powerhouse rendition.

Thats your opinion..and its accepted. Other opinions clearly say...MSG is better hands down..me included...its all a matter of musical taste..