Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The "Other" 50 Greatest Love Songs

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:44 am

~ In 2001 BMG/RCA issued a 2-cd set titled elvis THE 50 GREATEST LOVE SONGS
https://www.amazon.com/50-Greatest-Love ... love+songs

I didn't bother purchasing it back then because of two main reasons...
#1 - I prefer most compilations to be in chronological order, or close to it. Instead this set was presented in a semi-reverse chronological order which is very unusual compared to other Elvis sets. Disc 1 starts with two 1970s selections, then to the 1960s for five songs & then back to the 70s. Disc 2 has fourteen 1960s songs and finishes with thirteen selections from the 1950s. Strange.
#2 - Not all of the songs chosen were worthy to be part of a set with "Greatest" in the title (in my opinion). Of course, "greatest" can often be a subjective word/description. However, did the following songs really deserve to be part of this set?... Until It's Time For You To Go; There Goes My Everything; She Wears My Ring; It's Only Love; I've Lost You; Pocketful of Rainbows; Old Shep; Don't Ask Me Why.

~ A while back I got to thinking about this uneven release and wondered about other songs that were not chosen to be included in the set. With that in mind I decided to take on the challenge of picking 50 other "great" Elvis songs that could possibly make up a second volume of this "love song" genre.
It was a tough undertaking because most of the cream-of-the-crop (Love Me Tender; It's Now or Never; Can't Help Falling In Love; The Wonder of You; Let It Be Me; Love Letters; Young and Beautiful; It Hurts Me; etc.) was already used in the original set.

Elvis ~ THE "OTHER" 50 GREATEST LOVE SONGS
Presented in semi-chronological order from the 1950s to the 1970s...

CD 1
1 - Blue Moon 2:40
2 - Playing For Keeps 2:50
3 - Have I Told You Lately That I Love You? 2:30
4 - Don't Leave Me Now (album version) 1:58
5 - Is It So Strange 2:28
6 - I Need You So 2:37
7 - Tell Me Why 2:06
8 - Doncha' Think It's Time (single version) 1:56
9 - All Shook Up 1:57
10 - Young Dreams (Thorne Nogar mono mix) 2:22
11 - My Wish Came True 2:33
12 - Soldier Boy 3:05
13 - Fever 3:32
14 - It Feels So Right 2:09
15 - Tonight Is So Right For Love 2:12 (master take remix from FTD Cafe Europa, G.I. Blues Vol. 2)
16 - Give Me The Right 2:32
17 - They Remind Me Too Much Of You 2:31
18 - No More 2:21
19 - Ku-u-i-po 2:20
20 - Angel 2:37
21 - Ask Me 2:06
22 - I'm Yours (Special new edit / composite single version with spoken part added) 2:23
23 - The Lady Loves Me (duet with Ann-Margret) 3:43
24 - Puppet On A String 2:39
25 - Never Ending 1:58
26 - Memories 3:06
27 - Mama Liked The Roses 2:47

CD 2
1 - I Need Somebody To Lean On 3:01
2 - Anything That's Part of You - take 8 - 2:08
3 - Indescribably Blue 2:47
4 - Without Love (There Is Nothing) 2:52
5 - Only The Strong Survive 2:41
6 - Words - (live August 25,1969 ms) 2:41
7 - And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind 3:09
8 - The Next Step Is Love 3:31
9 - Just Pretend 4:02
10 - Kentucky Rain 3:21
11 - Separate Ways 2:35
12 - Loving Arms 2:49
13 - Are You Sincere? 1:59
14 - I've Got A Thing About You Baby 2:20
15 - Something - (live January 14,1973) 3:26
16 - Welcome To My World - (live January 14,1973) 1:57
17 - Let Me Be There - (live March 20,1974) 3:33
18 - Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming 2:53
19 - True Love Travels On A Gravel Road 2:37
20 - You Asked Me To - take 3A - 2:58
21 - For The Heart 3:28
22 - Pledging My Love 2:49
23 - I Can't Stop Loving You - (live June 10,1972 es) 2:45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQk51OtVB9I
Bonus Song -
24 - A Thing Called Love 2:24 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk-SPg6mTks
Last edited by Jukebox Jam on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: The "Other" 50 Greatest Love Songs

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:10 am

Honestly, I think your version is pretty much on par with the actual version, and might even have a slight edge over it. The original definitely has some dodgy selections and sequencing choices (they included And I Love You So and made it the second track...really?).

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Thank you, Eggrert, for taking notice. With some spare time on my hands I took about two and-a-half days to lay this out just right... adding and eliminating certain songs as I went along. I always enjoy listening to CDs that have a good flow to them from the first song to the last.

As for the running order of the tracks on the 2001 set, it looked almost like someone drew the songs at random from a hat.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:02 pm

I did reply yesterday, and then lost it in an internet outage.

The issue is that the original release of 50 Greatest Love Songs cannily mixed Elvis's biggest ballad hits alongside other well-known songs that he happened to cover - and this is/was a winning combination. general buyers like songs they know. And that's why a second volume doesn't work. The songs in the OP might he of just a high a quality as in the first volume, but they are mostly not well known. And that just puts a nail in the coffin for such a release.

It's worth saying that the Definitive Love Album from nearly thirty years ago also put together a nice mix of hits and covers of well-known songs. They were edited to fit onto a CD, but the full versions were used on cassette, which is what I had, and was one of the first Elvis albums I bought as an adult.

Are You Lonsesome Tonight?
Kiss Me Quick
Love Letters
Fever
Sentimental Me
Don't
There's Always Me
Love Me Tender
My Boy
Spanish Eyes
She Wears My Ring
It's Now Or Never
Until It's Time For You To Go
Solitaire
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
The Last Farewell
And I Love You So
Seperate Ways
I Miss You
I'll Never Fall In Love Again
It's Impossible
Let It Be Me
Bridge Over Troubled Water
I Just Can't Help Believin'
My Way
Hurt
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
The Wonder Of You
Release Me
Yesterday

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:29 pm

~ My suggestion to Sony Music for one song in particular, "I'm Yours", would be for them to issue the song with no overdubbed vocal harmony by Elvis, but with his spoken part included.

The original release on the 1962 album, Pot Luck with Elvis, has always sounded very, very strange to me
with two distinct Elvises singing together. What was that all about?... I never understood the purpose of it.
However, Elvis' spoken part in the song was the highlight (which was recorded separately and overdubbed onto/into the album track).
It wasn't as dramatic as the spoken parts of "That's When Your Heartaches Begin" or "Are You Lonesome Tonight", but it was still effective (in a positive way) nonetheless.

Then in 1965, the song was issued on RCA Victor single 47-8657 -- https://www.elvisrecords.com/im-yours-i ... y-highway/
According to Keith Flynn's fine "Elvis Presley Pages" site, the single was a splice of "Take 6 & work part 1 - ending - Take 2".
It sounded/sounds good except for one major thing... the spoken part was (and still is) missing! There's about 22 seconds of an organ playing with no singing/no spoken words. It's my belief that if the 1965 single had been issued with the spoken part included, it would've made enough difference to radio listeners for the song to go slightly higher than it did on the Billboard chart... #11.

And as the years roll along
Your joy and tears I'll gladly share
And when things go wrong dear
Just hold out your hand, and I'll be there

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:48 pm

poormadpeter2 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:02 pm wrote:It's worth saying that the Definitive Love Album from nearly thirty years ago also put together a nice mix of hits and covers of well-known songs. They were edited to fit onto a CD, but the full versions were used on cassette, which is what I had, and was one of the first Elvis albums I bought as an adult.

Are You Lonsesome Tonight?
Kiss Me Quick
Love Letters
Fever
Sentimental Me
Don't
There's Always Me
Love Me Tender
My Boy
Spanish Eyes
She Wears My Ring
It's Now Or Never
Until It's Time For You To Go
Solitaire
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
The Last Farewell
And I Love You So
Seperate Ways
I Miss You
I'll Never Fall In Love Again
It's Impossible
Let It Be Me
Bridge Over Troubled Water
I Just Can't Help Believin'
My Way
Hurt
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
The Wonder Of You
Release Me
Yesterday

-- http://www.elvisoncd.com/eigenecd/CD/t/ ... e-g89.html

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Jukebox Jam on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:29 pm wrote:~ My suggestion to Sony Music for one song in particular, "I'm Yours", would be for them to issue the song with no overdubbed vocal harmony by Elvis, but with his spoken part included.

The original release on the 1962 album, Pot Luck with Elvis, has always sounded very, very strange to me
with two distinct Elvises singing together. What was that all about?... I never understood the purpose of it.
However, Elvis' spoken part in the song was the highlight (which was recorded separately and overdubbed onto/into the album track).
It wasn't as dramatic as the spoken parts of "That's When Your Heartaches Begin" or "Are You Lonesome Tonight", but it was still effective (in a positive way) nonetheless.

Then in 1965, the song was issued on RCA Victor single 47-8657 -- https://www.elvisrecords.com/im-yours-i ... y-highway/
According to Keith Flynn's fine "Elvis Presley Pages" site, the single was a splice of "Take 6 & work part 1 - ending - Take 2".
It sounded/sounds good except for one major thing... the spoken part was (and still is) missing! There's about 22 seconds of an organ playing with no singing/no spoken words. It's my belief that if the 1965 single had been issued with the spoken part included, it would've made enough difference to radio listeners for the song to go slightly higher than it did on the Billboard chart... #11.

And as the years roll along
Your joy and tears I'll gladly share
And when things go wrong dear
Just hold out your hand, and I'll be there

Is this what you had in mind?

https://mega.nz/#!pnAxjR5C!84glhffuheXR ... 88aKcfiU7s

MT

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:52 am

Yes, MysteryTrain... That sounds great! :smt020 Thank you!

I'm really surprised that Ernst hasn't already offered that on an FTD as a bonus track...
Pot Luck; Elvis For Everyone!; Gold Records, Vol. 4 . . .

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:24 pm

MysteryTrain on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:35 pm wrote:Is this what you had in mind?

https://mega.nz/#!pnAxjR5C!84glhffuheXR ... 88aKcfiU7s

MT

Sounds great. Was this version ever released?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:18 pm

henryneill on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:24 am wrote:Sounds great. Was this version ever released?

No.

It has probably never occurred to Ernst Jorgensen or anyone else with
RCA/BMG/SONY/FTD to release "I'm Yours" is this new & improved spliced form.