Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:22 pm

A lovely ballad sung beautifully by 22yr old Elvis!

Juan Luis on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:56 am wrote:
Chucky99 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:50 pm wrote:Yeah very nice song.It also appears at the end of the movie Lethal Weapon from 1987.Mel loves it too.
:D
Thanks for posting and reminding me! There's another film that has the song playing over the end credits, cannot recall now. But it was a wonderful surprise as an Elvis fan.


I knew about it being played over the 'Lethal Weapon' credits, but the name of the other film escapes me too. I've been wracking my brain for the last few days but just can't remember which film it is.

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:48 pm

Greystoke on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:06 pm wrote:Elvis`s version of I'll Be Home For Christmas is just a wonderful recording of a marvellous song. It's not my favourite version, those would be Bing and Frank's recordings. But Elvis sings quite beautifully, with some nice phrasing and unique mannerisms that make his version distinctive in its own right. Although this is something that was less successful with his version of Silent Night.

Musically, Elvis`s I'll Be Home For Christmas is arranged with real care and sensitivity. I love the piano line and how subtle the drumming is. Whilst the female voices are warm, lush and very inviting. It's a real gem of a recording and I would liked to have heard a more mature Elvis singing this song later in life. Either on stage, television or on record.


Great call an this song , and unless i am mistaken I recall hearing Sinatra's or Crosby's great version of this song in a poignant scene in the 2nd world war movie The victors

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:10 am

FredAistair on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:48 pm wrote:
Greystoke on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:06 pm wrote:Elvis`s version of I'll Be Home For Christmas is just a wonderful recording of a marvellous song. It's not my favourite version, those would be Bing and Frank's recordings. But Elvis sings quite beautifully, with some nice phrasing and unique mannerisms that make his version distinctive in its own right. Although this is something that was less successful with his version of Silent Night.

Musically, Elvis`s I'll Be Home For Christmas is arranged with real care and sensitivity. I love the piano line and how subtle the drumming is. Whilst the female voices are warm, lush and very inviting. It's a real gem of a recording and I would liked to have heard a more mature Elvis singing this song later in life. Either on stage, television or on record.


Great call an this song , and unless i am mistaken I recall hearing Sinatra's or Crosby's great version of this song in a poignant scene in the 2nd world war movie The victors


That was Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. Frank recorded a new version of this song (his fourth of five recordings) especially for The Victors and for a specific scene. Which was reminiscent of the execution of Private Eddie Slovik, the only American soldier to be court-martialled and executed during World War II.

In 1961, Sinatra was producing and planning to direct a film based on the events leading up to Private Slovik`s execution, but there was a major political backslash over Frank hiring blacklisted screenwriter Albert Maltz to write the script, so he dropped the project. Not for his own sake, but how this could effect those directly or indirectly involved with the film. But he paid Maltz for his work regardless.

A film based on the same event was eventually made for television in 1974, with Martin Sheen starring as Eddie Slovik and Lamont Johnson directing Richard Levinson and William Link`s screenplay.

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:38 am

I am very fond of elvis' silent night. Beautiful sung.
Classic and sparse arrangement.
Besides, my favourite christmas song anyhow.
So what's wrong with elvis' phrasing on that one? Some elvis' mannerisms, ok.
But still an honest and sincere rendition .

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:41 am

Some Christmas stuff from my collection.
Image
Image
Image

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:49 am

Originals?

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:54 am

matilda on Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:49 pm wrote:Originals?
Yeah, including old Nipper! :)

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:13 am

I believe you, although they looked too much in good condition.
But like i say, i believe you.


Anybody else about my view of silent night?

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:27 am

matilda on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm wrote:I believe you, although they looked too much in good condition.
But like i say, i believe you.


Anybody else about my view of silent night?
IMO, If one likes 1956 "Love Me Tender" master, you should like "Silent Night". Both boring to me, but I respect everyone (opinions) that likes or loves those versions.

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:48 am

Juan Luis on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:27 pm wrote:
matilda on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm wrote:I believe you, although they looked too much in good condition.
But like i say, i believe you.


Anybody else about my view of silent night?
IMO, If one likes 1956 "Love Me Tender" master, you should like "Silent Night". Both boring to me, but I respect everyone (opinions) that likes or loves those versions.



I generally hate Christmas songs (I asked the woman in the shop today, to turn the Christmas music off - I am Larry David), but for Silent Night, I will make an exception, beautiful song. The best version, is by Stevie Nicks, absolutely hypnotic. Elvis' version is tame bordering on lame. Having said that, it was given a new lease of life on the Christmas Duets album. Boy, that Sara Evans can sing:


Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:51 am

Juan Luis on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:27 am wrote:
matilda on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm wrote:I believe you, although they looked too much in good condition.
But like i say, i believe you.


Anybody else about my view of silent night?
IMO, If one likes 1956 "Love Me Tender" master, you should like "Silent Night". Both boring to me, but I respect everyone (opinions) that likes or loves those versions.

You misunderstood. I have read several times that elvis did a not so good vocal job on silent night vocally (unlike love me tender) or his phrasing.
It's not about the song, but the interpretation of silent night of elvis that was criticized (by the way, no one in sane sense of mind should criticise silent night as a song).
I am just curious why some people think that silent night from elvis lacks something in his interpretation.
@juan luis: fyxx you for find boring a song like silent night.
You have no heart.

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:02 am

mike edwards66 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:48 am wrote:
Juan Luis on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:27 pm wrote:
matilda on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm wrote:I believe you, although they looked too much in good condition.
But like i say, i believe you.


Anybody else about my view of silent night?
IMO, If one likes 1956 "Love Me Tender" master, you should like "Silent Night". Both boring to me, but I respect everyone (opinions) that likes or loves those versions.



I generally hate Christmas songs (I asked the woman in the shop today, to turn the Christmas music off - I am Larry David), but for Silent Night, I will make an exception, beautiful song. The best version, is by Stevie Nicks, absolutely hypnotic. Elvis' version is tame bordering on lame. Having said that, it was given a new lease of life on the Christmas Duets album. Boy, that Sara Evans can sing:



You have no idea what you talk about.

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:30 am

matilda on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:51 pm wrote:
Juan Luis on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:27 am wrote:
matilda on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm wrote:I believe you, although they looked too much in good condition.
But like i say, i believe you.


Anybody else about my view of silent night?
IMO, If one likes 1956 "Love Me Tender" master, you should like "Silent Night". Both boring to me, but I respect everyone (opinions) that likes or loves those versions.

You misunderstood. I have read several times that elvis did a not so good vocal job on silent night vocally (unlike love me tender) or his phrasing.
It's not about the song, but the interpretation of silent night of elvis that was criticized (by the way, no one in sane sense of mind should criticise silent night as a song).
I am just curious why some people think that silent night from elvis lacks something in his interpretation.
@juan luis: fyxx you for find boring a song like silent night.
You have no heart.
I didn't say the song. I love "Love Me Tender" other versions.. as live 1968 for example. And as for "Silent Night", I sang that at my Catholic School classes for years every Christmas. We all loved the song and singing it! But ELVIS interpretation makes me want to sleep.

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:38 am

matilda on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:02 am wrote:
mike edwards66 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:48 am wrote:
Juan Luis on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:27 pm wrote:
matilda on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm wrote:I believe you, although they looked too much in good condition.
But like i say, i believe you.


Anybody else about my view of silent night?
IMO, If one likes 1956 "Love Me Tender" master, you should like "Silent Night". Both boring to me, but I respect everyone (opinions) that likes or loves those versions.



I generally hate Christmas songs (I asked the woman in the shop today, to turn the Christmas music off - I am Larry David), but for Silent Night, I will make an exception, beautiful song. The best version, is by Stevie Nicks, absolutely hypnotic. Elvis' version is tame bordering on lame. Having said that, it was given a new lease of life on the Christmas Duets album. Boy, that Sara Evans can sing:



You have no idea what you talk about.


Compared to you I do.

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:54 am

Juan Luis on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:41 pm wrote:Some Christmas stuff from my collection.


Great share Juan..., thanks very much. Some great memories I'll bet!

rlj

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:06 am

mike edwards66 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:38 am wrote:
matilda on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:02 am wrote:
mike edwards66 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:48 am wrote:
Juan Luis on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:27 pm wrote:
matilda on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm wrote:I believe you, although they looked too much in good condition.
But like i say, i believe you.


Anybody else about my view of silent night?
IMO, If one likes 1956 "Love Me Tender" master, you should like "Silent Night". Both boring to me, but I respect everyone (opinions) that likes or loves those versions.



I generally hate Christmas songs (I asked the woman in the shop today, to turn the Christmas music off - I am Larry David), but for Silent Night, I will make an exception, beautiful song. The best version, is by Stevie Nicks, absolutely hypnotic. Elvis' version is tame bordering on lame. Having said that, it was given a new lease of life on the Christmas Duets album. Boy, that Sara Evans can sing:



You have no idea what you talk about.


Compared to you I do.

Cheap shot from you.
Especially while admitting that you hate Christmas songs: you don't.
And undervalue elvis' sublime vocal on silent night further proves the point.
But you are a sucker for the 76 elvis. So you are disqualified yourself.
You are not knowing what you are talking about when discussing elvis ' silent night.

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:09 am

Juan Luis on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:30 am wrote:
matilda on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:51 pm wrote:
Juan Luis on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:27 am wrote:
matilda on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm wrote:I believe you, although they looked too much in good condition.
But like i say, i believe you.


Anybody else about my view of silent night?
IMO, If one likes 1956 "Love Me Tender" master, you should like "Silent Night". Both boring to me, but I respect everyone (opinions) that likes or loves those versions.

You misunderstood. I have read several times that elvis did a not so good vocal job on silent night vocally (unlike love me tender) or his phrasing.
It's not about the song, but the interpretation of silent night of elvis that was criticized (by the way, no one in sane sense of mind should criticise silent night as a song).
I am just curious why some people think that silent night from elvis lacks something in his interpretation.
@juan luis: fyxx you for find boring a song like silent night.
You have no heart.
I didn't say the song. I love "Love Me Tender" other versions.. as live 1968 for example. And as for "Silent Night", I sang that at my Catholic School classes for years every Christmas. We all loved the song and singing it! But ELVIS interpretation makes me want to sleep.

Well, silent night was never a rocker, i thought.
So, you should better keep on sleeping.

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:18 am

matilda on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:09 pm wrote:
Juan Luis on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:30 am wrote:
matilda on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:51 pm wrote:
Juan Luis on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:27 am wrote:
matilda on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm wrote:I believe you, although they looked too much in good condition.
But like i say, i believe you.


Anybody else about my view of silent night?
IMO, If one likes 1956 "Love Me Tender" master, you should like "Silent Night". Both boring to me, but I respect everyone (opinions) that likes or loves those versions.

You misunderstood. I have read several times that elvis did a not so good vocal job on silent night vocally (unlike love me tender) or his phrasing.
It's not about the song, but the interpretation of silent night of elvis that was criticized (by the way, no one in sane sense of mind should criticise silent night as a song).
I am just curious why some people think that silent night from elvis lacks something in his interpretation.
@juan luis: fyxx you for find boring a song like silent night.
You have no heart.
I didn't say the song. I love "Love Me Tender" other versions.. as live 1968 for example. And as for "Silent Night", I sang that at my Catholic School classes for years every Christmas. We all loved the song and singing it! But ELVIS interpretation makes me want to sleep.

Well, silent night was never a rocker, i thought.
So, you should better keep on sleeping.
Ha! Elvis would have surely sung it better in the 1960s. But he did a great job on most of the material he tackled during the 1950's..including ballads.

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:10 am

Man that Sara Evans can sing and she’s a fox to boot !

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:22 pm

I like very much Elvis' version of Silent Night. At 22 years old he did a great recording. The whole Christmas album is marvelous, in my opinion.

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:24 pm

jurasic1968 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:22 am wrote:I like very much Elvis' version of Silent Night. At 22 years old he did a great recording. The whole Christmas album is marvelous, in my opinion.


I'm not as fond of Silent Night as you are, jurasic1968, and I'm not especially keen on Little Town of Bethlehem. But it's a terrific album for the most part. One of the best of its kind.

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:29 pm

You're right.

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:54 am

Still the biggest selling Artists Xmas album of all time, not even sure any compilations beat it?

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:05 pm

Image

Re: Elvis's "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:10 pm

dennyelvis on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:54 am wrote:Still the biggest selling Artists Xmas album of all time, not even sure any compilations beat it?


According to Billboard these are the top 10 selling Christmas albums of all time in the US. Not sure about the UK

Elvis' Christmas Album - I assume the original 1957 album in it original form
Kenny G- Miracles
Nat King Cole - The Magic of Christmas (retitled in 1963 to The Christmas Song )
Mannheim Steamroller: Mannheim Steamroller Christmas and A Fresh Aire Christmas. Both Tied (not even sure who this is!)
Josh Groban - Noel (Most weeks spent at #1 beating Elvis by one week)
Michael Buble - Christmas
Mariah Carey _ Merry Christmas
Celine Dion _ These Are Special Times
Barbara Streisand - The Christmas Album

I have 3 of the 10 and I must admit I am very surprised no Spector, A Williams, Mathis , Sinatra and especially Crosby!