Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis movie singles in the US, from the best to the worst

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:24 pm

I listened last night to all the movie singles of Elvis in the US. Some are excellent, some good, some average and some of them are really bad. Here is my opinion on them:
1956 : Love Me Tender - number 1 in the US. Great song, an inspiration of the Civil War song "Aura Lee". One of the iconic Presley songs of his entire career.
1957: Teddy Bear/ Loving You (1/20). The first, another smash hit for Elvis, he sang it until the end this uptempo song. The second, a very sensitive and beautiful love song.
1957: Jailhouse Rock/Treat Me Nice (1/18). In my opinion the best single of all his movies. Both were pure dynamite, the first became a symbol of the rock and roll music.
1958: Hard Headed Woman/Don't Ask Me Why (1/25). The first - another great rock and roll song of Elvis from his best movie King Creole, sang with a great energy and passion. The second-a beautiful love song.
1961: Lonely Man (32) A short nice song from an average film. good but nothing special.
1961: Wild in the Country (26). The title song of the movie, again beautiful sang like the above, not very suitable for a single.
1961: Can't Help Falling in Love/ Rock A Hula, Baby (2/23). The first-a masterpiece after classical music, the greatest ballad of the 60's and an iconic song for Elvis in the 70's. The second is a nice catchy tune imitating the twist.
1962: Return to Sender/ Where Do You Come From? (2/99). The A side was again one of the greatest Elvis movie singles, a masterpiece sang in Jackie Wilson style. The B side-a somehow insipid ballad.
1963: One Broken Heart For Sale/ They Remind Me Too Much of You (11/53). The A side was the first mediocre single of Elvis films (as an A side). Short and uninspired. The B side was a nice and romantic soft song.
1963: Bossa Nova Baby (8). Great uptempo song, the last movie song to reach top 10. The movie sequence is one of the very best.
1964: Kissin' Cousins (12). Average uptempo movie song, but the lyrics are ridiculous, a big step back from the previous one.
1964: What'd I Say/ Viva Las Vegas (21/29). 2 great songs from the best musical of Elvis in the 60's. The movie sequnces are very energetic and clearly Elvis enjoys himself a lot. The RCA policy was wrong because they released these songs 2 weeks later after the previous non soundtrack single.
1964/1965 Wooden Heart (107). This old song from 1960 was released as a single in US completely wrong. It was a big hit in Britain 1n 1961, but it's completely outdated and mediocre.
1965: Do the Clam (21). A sub mediocre uptempo song from Girl Happy, completely ridiculous in the 2 solo sax (sorry, Boots Randolph).
1965: Puppet On A String (14). A better song compared to the previous, but nothing exciting about it.
1965: I'm Yours/ It Feel So Right (11/55) Two great songs recorded years before, included in Elvis Is Back and Pot Luck albums. The first-a beautiful ballad, the second a great blues song. A fresh air comparing to the weaker and weaker movie songs. Both are included in the film Tickle Me.
1965. Such An Easy Question (11). Another beautiful ballad from the Pot Luck LP, also included in the movie Tickle Me.
1965: Long Lonely Highway (107). Good uptempo song from Tickle Me, released as a bonus song on the Kissin' Cousins LP.
1966. Frankie And Johnny/ Please Don't Stop Loving Me (25/45). The classical A side was not a good one in Elvis' version. The sound is mediocre at best. I like much more the B side, a lovely love song.
1966. Spinout/ All That I Am (40/41). Two mediocre songs, the first a fake rocker, the second, an insipid ballad.
1967.Long Legged Girl (With the Short Dress On) (63). Another mediocre forgettable uptempo song from the Double Trouble film.
1967. You Don't Know Me (45). The best song from a bad movie (Clambake) sang nice by Elvis (maybe he listened to Eddy Arnold's version).
1967. Stay Away (67). Another unremarkable song, from a very poor movie (Stay Away, Joe).
1968. Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby/ Let Yourself Go (71/72). The A side-a cute children song but no way as a single for Elvis Presley. The B side is a good rocker better than Long Legged or Spinout.
1968. A Little Less Conversation/Almost in Love (63/95). Tha A side was a very good upbeat song from the LIve A Little, Love A Little movie. The B side - an average little ballad.
1968. Edge of Reality (112). An interesting "psychedelic" song with a good video sequence in the LIve A Little, Love A Little movie.
1969. Charro. This country song was sang in the movie only on credits. Its quality it's average. I don't think it was a good choice for a single, even as a B-side.
1969: Clean Up Your Own Backyard (35). A very good song from The Trouble With Girls film, a blues that I like it. Elvis' voice is very edgy here.
1969: Rubberneckin. The last ELvis single from his last movie, Change Of Habit. A good rockin' song that Elvis will sang in Las Vegas live in the summer of 1969.
Last edited by jurasic1968 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Re: Elvis movie singles in the US, from the best to the wors

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Nice work putting this topic together, jurasic1968 ::rocks

I'd say best '57 'Jailhouse Rock' and worst, '65 'Do the Clam'.
Last edited by EPA4368 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Agree. Thanks.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:13 pm

I disagree with a few comments like 'One Broken Heart' and 'Stay Away' but good post Jurassic.

Andy

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:39 pm

Nice post!
I agree about the best single.
JR / TMN: classic Elvis, timeless rock'n'roll.

The worst one: Do The Clan. Ridiculous, trash music.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:44 pm

jurasic1968 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:24 am wrote:I listened last night to all the movie singles of Elvis in the US. Some are excellent, some good, some average and some of them are really bad. Here is my opinion on them:
1956 : Love Me Tender - number 1 in the US. Great song, an inspiration of the Civil War song "Aura Lee". One of the iconic Presley songs of his entire career.
1957: Teddy Bear/ Loving You (1/20). The first, another smash hit for Elvis, he sang it until the end this uptempo song. The second, a very sensitive and beautiful love song.
1957: Jailhouse Rock/Treat Me Nice (1/18). In my opinion the best single of all his movies. Both were pure dynamite, the first became a symbol of the rock and roll music.
1958: Hard Headed Woman/Don't Ask Me Why (1/25). The first - another great rock and roll song of Elvis from his best movie King Creole, sang with a great energy and passion. The second-a beautiful love song.
1961: Lonely Man (32) A short nice song from an average film. good but nothing special.
1961: Wild in the Country (26). The title song of the movie, again beautiful sang like the above, not very suitable for a single.
1961: Can't Help Falling in Love/ Rock A Hula, Baby (2/23). The first-a masterpiece after classical music, the greatest ballad of the 60's and an iconic song for Elvis in the 70's. The second is a nice catchy tune imitating the twist.
1962: Return to Sender/ Where Do You Come From? (2/99). The A side was again one of the greatest Elvis movie singles, a masterpiece sang in Jackie Wilson style. The B side-a somehow insipid ballad.
1963: One Broken Heart For Sale/ They Remind Me Too Much of You (11/53). The A side was the first mediocre single of Elvis films (as an A side). Short and uninspired. The B side was a nice and romantic soft song.
1963: Bossa Nova Baby (8). Great uptempo song, the last movie song to reach top 10.
1964: Kissin' Cousins (12). Average uptempo movie song, but the lyrics are ridiculous, a big step back from the previous one.
1964: What'd I Say/ Viva Las Vegas (21/29). 2 great songs from the best musical of Elvis in the 60's. The RCA policy was wrong because they released these songs 2 weeks later after the previous non soundtrack single.
1964/1965 Wooden Heart (107). This old song from 1960 was released as a single in US completely wrong. It was a big hit in Britain 1n 1961, but it's completely outdated and mediocre.
1965: Do the Clam (21). A sub mediocre uptempo song from Girl Happy, completely ridiculous in the 2 solo sax (sorry, Boots Randolph).
1965: Puppet On A String (14). A better song compared to the previous, but nothing exciting about it.
1965: I'm Yours/ It Feel So Right (11/55) Two great songs recorded years before, included in Elvis Is Back and Pot Luck albums. The first-a beautiful ballad, the second a great blues song. A fresh air comparing to the weaker and weaker movie songs. Both are included in the film Tickle Me.
1965. Such An Easy Question (11). Another beautiful ballad from the Pot Luck LP, also included in the movie Tickle Me.
1965: Long Lonely Highway (107). Good uptempo song from Tickle Me, released as a bonus song on the Kissin' Cousins LP.
1966. Frankie And Johnny/ Please Don't Stop Loving Me (25/45). The classical A side was not a good one in Elvis' version. The sound is mediocre at best. I like much more the B side, a lovely love song.
1966. Spinout/ All That I Am (40/41). Two mediocre songs, the first a fake rocker, the second, an insipid ballad.
1967.Long Legged Girl (With the Short Dress On) (63). Another mediocre forgettable uptempo song from the Double Trouble film.
1967. You Don't Know Me (45). The best song from a bad movie (Clambake) sang nice by Elvis (maybe he listened to Eddy Arnold's version).
1967. Stay Away (67). Another unremarkable song, from a very poor movie (Stay Away, Joe).
1968. Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby/ Let Yourself Go (71/72). The A side-a cute children song but no way as a single for Elvis Presley. The B side is a good rocker better than Long Legged or Spinout.
1968. A Little Less Conversation/Almost in Love (63/95). Tha A side was a very good upbeat song from the LIve A Little, Love A Little movie. The B side - an average little ballad.
1968. Edge of Reality (112). An interesting "psychedelic" song with a good video sequence in the LIve A Little, Love A Little movie.
1969: Clean Up Your Own Backyard (35). A very good song from The Trouble With Girls film, a blues that I like it. Elvis' voice is very edgy here.
1969: Rubberneckin. The last ELvis single from his last movie, Change Of Habit. A good rockin' song that Elvis will sang in Las Vegas live in the summer of 1969.

Great job which just reaffirms to me how special the 50's was. Even the movie songs were standouts. The early 60's were pretty good too, but the mid-60's saw a nosedive in quality. Quality picked up a bit the last few movie years, but it was too late as Elvis movies were not being taken seriously anymore by anyone other than the hardcore fan base and even they were disgruntled and wanted career change. I think Rubberneckin is a great song and should have been held back for an A side future release. Im thinkin his last movie song top 10 here.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Yes, I believe also that list last movie singles were good. Songs like Let Yourself Go, Edge of Reality, A Little Less Conversation, Rubberneckin', Clean Up Your Own Backyard deserved higher positions in the charts.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:04 pm

I agree with most of your views on this. Except for two things. While I agree that One broken heart for sale wasn't a killer single it wasn't that bad. I would have preferred it if they could have found a greater song to release but one broken heart was still decent. I actually liked ''All that I am. I thought it was a good ballad.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:10 pm

Nice topic and opening post, jurasic1968. And I feel much the same way about Elvis`s soundtrack recordings. There's a lot of variety, varying degrees of quality and wide margins of success. Which means there's lots to explore no matter what you think or how you feel about this aspect of his career. With regards to the singles that were lifted from Elvis`s (U.S.) soundtracks, my top-ten (A or B side) is probably . . .

1. Can't Help Falling in Love
2. Love Me Tender
3. Jailhouse Rock
4. Return to Sender
5. Viva Las Vegas
6. Clean Up Your Own Back Yard
7. Lonely Man
8. Long Lonely Highway
9. A Little Less Conversation
10. Bossa Nova Baby

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:47 am

jurasic1968 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:24 am wrote:I listened last night to all the movie singles of Elvis in the US. Some are excellent, some good, some average and some of them are really bad. Here is my opinion on them:
1963: Bossa Nova Baby (8). Great uptempo song, the last movie song to reach top 10. The movie sequence is one of the very best.
1964: What'd I Say/ Viva Las Vegas (21/29). 2 great songs from the best musical of Elvis in the 60's. The movie sequnces are very energetic and clearly Elvis enjoys himself a lot. The RCA policy was wrong because they released these songs 2 weeks later after the previous non soundtrack single.

What a cool post. Man, that must have taken some time. ;-)

I can't say I disagree with any of your assessments, they are spot-on. You might be interested to know that "Stay Away" is based on the traditional melody to "Greensleeves."

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:53 am

Yes, Doc. Maybe I was wrong in my opinion about Stay Away, clearly was better than Stay Away, Joe. After a night of listening to all of these and reading informations asbout these songs I was a little dizzy. The first part of the movies singles was easier to characterize, the second was more difficult.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:28 am

I've long admired Stay Away, Presley's take on Greensleeves (rumored to be written by now other than King Henry VIII). Elvis is clearly invested in the song, though an extra verse would've done it no harm.

BONUS VERSION

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:42 am

jurasic1968 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:53 pm wrote:Yes, Doc. Maybe I was wrong in my opinion about Stay Away, clearly was better than Stay Away, Joe. After a night of listening to all of these and reading informations asbout these songs I was a little dizzy. The first part of the movies singles was easier to characterize, the second was more difficult.

Oh, I don't disagree about "Stay Away." I just wanted to note what the melody was clearly based on. However, had RCA chosen one of the profane outtakes to use on record or in the film, boy would we have something to talk about. ;-)

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:39 am

Oh, it was January 15 1968 when Elvis recorded the song, the recording session when Elvis was very angry and used some bad language.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:36 pm

Great post.Jailhouse Rock ,Love me tender and Can't help falling in love are still played on the radio.Maybe Return to sender also
My only regret is that Baby I don't care (my favorite Elvis song from his movies) was not released as a single.I like it better the the Buddy Holly version.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:03 pm

By the way, King Creole was released as a single in UK in 1958 (not in the US) and reached number 2. A fantastic rock and roll song composed by Leiber and Stoller. The B side was also very good, Dixieland Rock (a jazz-rock song) even the song didn't chart. One year before the single Party/ Got A Lot O' Livin' to Do (2/17) was released in UK - 2 good rock songs from Loving You.
Last edited by jurasic1968 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:53 pm

jurasic1968 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:03 pm wrote:By the way, King Creole was released as a single in UK in 1958 (not in the US) and reached number 2. A fantastic rock and roll song composed by Leiber and Stoller. The B side was also very good, Dixieland Rock (a jazz-rock song) even the song didn't chart. One year before the sibgle Party/ Got A Lot O' Livin' to Do (2/17) was released in UK - 2 good rock songs from Loving You.

Releasing King Creole as a single in the U.K. was certainly a good move, given the film's popularity and the success of its soundtrack album. I don't have any box office figures for King Creole in the U.K. (this wasn't published or listed in the same way as the U.S. at that time), but the general flavour I've found from various articles is that the film was very successful.

The soundtrack, however, spent seven straight weeks at No. 1 after making its debut at No. 2 on the charts. Which was longer than both Elvis`s debut album and the Loving You soundtrack`s combined stays at the top of the charts (one week and three weeks, respectively). It would also become his second longest-charting album to date, with 22 weeks on the chart. Loving You charted for 25 weeks. Whilst only G.I. Blues and Blue Hawaii ultimately spent longer at No. 1. With the former spending 22 weeks at the top, and the latter, 18 weeks.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks a lot, Greystoke.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:21 pm

jurasic1968 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:39 am wrote:Oh, it was January 15 1968 when Elvis recorded the song, the recording session when Elvis was very angry and used some bad language.

I prefer to see those sessions as Elvis being very unhappy with the material, but also very, very freaked out about the upcoming birth of his child.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:04 pm

Agree, Doc. Peter Guralnick wrote in Careless Love that Elvis became also more and more distant with his manager and he didn't like the idea of a Christmas TV special, a deal signed 3 days earlier on January 12-th 1968.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:30 pm

jurasic1968 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:24 am wrote:1963: One Broken Heart For Sale... The A side was the first mediocre single of Elvis films (as an A side). Short and uninspired.

Agree 100%.

It's a head-scratcher as to why the full-length (with "Cupid" verse) wasn't recorded for the official single release.
Movie version... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LekTB-a0JHM

Hey, Cupid, where are you?
More heart is growing sadder
That girl rejected me
Just when I thought I had her

Well, she would not listen to the things my heart "were" saying (should've been "was")
She turned and walked away and told me I was playing
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Single version... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JtDuDTtWKs

Well, she would not listen to the things my heart was saying
She turned and walked away and told me I was playing

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:39 pm

jurasic1968 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:24 am wrote:1961: Lonely Man (32) A short nice song from an average film. good but nothing special.

"Lonely Man" was recorded for, but deleted from Wild In The Country (if I'm not mistaken).

jurasic1968, the 1969 single of "Charro" is missing from your list.
I really like the dramatic music in that song, and Elvis' singing is strong and focused.

jurasic1968 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:24 am wrote:1966. Frankie And Johnny/ Please Don't Stop Loving Me (25/45). The classical A side was not a good one in Elvis' version. The sound is mediocre at best. I like much more the B side, a lovely love song.

Funny how fans view things so differently...
"Frankie And Johnny" has always been one of my favorite Elvis recordings. The music is upbeat, the lyrics are fun, and Elvis gets into it with the right amount of enthusiasm. As for "Please Don't Stop Loving Me", the sound seems to suffer from a slight distortion. To me, it's an okay ballad, but nothing special.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:07 am

Jukebox Jam on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:39 pm wrote:Funny how fans view things so differently...
"Frankie And Johnny" has always been one of my favorite Elvis recordings. The music is upbeat, the lyrics are fun, and Elvis gets into it with the right amount of enthusiasm.

Same here. I've always liked that song. Elvis is engaged and sounds great.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:00 am

Well, to me the sound of the whole LP was bad in the CD I bought many years ago.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:15 am

Jukebox Jam on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:39 pm wrote:
jurasic1968 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:24 am wrote:1961: Lonely Man (32) A short nice song from an average film. good but nothing special.

"Lonely Man" was recorded for, but deleted from Wild In The Country (if I'm not mistaken).

jurasic1968, the 1969 single of "Charro" is missing from your list.
I really like the dramatic music in that song, and Elvis' singing is strong and focused.

jurasic1968 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:24 am wrote:1966. Frankie And Johnny/ Please Don't Stop Loving Me (25/45). The classical A side was not a good one in Elvis' version. The sound is mediocre at best. I like much more the B side, a lovely love song.

Funny how fans view things so differently...
"Frankie And Johnny" has always been one of my favorite Elvis recordings. The music is upbeat, the lyrics are fun, and Elvis gets into it with the right amount of enthusiasm. As for "Please Don't Stop Loving Me", the sound seems to suffer from a slight distortion. To me, it's an okay ballad, but nothing special.

I like the Frankie and Johnny title song, but I think it could have been better. The early take issued on one of the FTD compilation discs (Out in Hollywood, I think) is far superior for the most part (despite being ragged), but Elvis sings the ending off-mic, which is a shame. But it showed him tackling the song in a Bobby Darin-style way, and it seems that with each take he got further away from that. Perhaps he became self-conscious of what he was doing or just lost confidence. But by the master takes, the alternate, often bluesy, melody notes were dispensed with and he sang it pretty straight.