Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis: The Man & His Music – December 2017 Issue – Out N

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:19 pm

danodj on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:14 pm wrote:Midnightx, I want every show from 69/77.
I think every fan and Ciscoking want more pre-1974 sounboard release next year. 3 Cd from 1976 is only an example (however these shows are great for me and I hope FTD release next year. Ciscoking help me)
Bye

Its just fine to read that most fans like shows from all concert years and are not limited to oldies hit parades only. Its all a matter of musical taste as proven here.

Thats good... :smt023

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Ciscoking on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:19 pm wrote:
danodj on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:14 pm wrote:Midnightx, I want every show from 69/77.
I think every fan and Ciscoking want more pre-1974 sounboard release next year. 3 Cd from 1976 is only an example (however these shows are great for me and I hope FTD release next year. Ciscoking help me)
Bye

Its just fine to read that most fans like shows from all concert years and are not limited to oldies hit parades only. Its all a matter of musical taste as proven here.

Thats good... :smt023

Sorry. That user said it. And maybe few others.
But concluding that "most" fans like shows from all concert years is twisting the truth.
Sorry.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:04 am

Ciscoking on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:16 am wrote:
Utter nonsense which demonstrates that you dont know either was is going on behind the scenes or what FTD is able to do. And believe me...Ernst knows exactly what he is doing. All is fully discussed and elaborated. We are not as dumb as you think or want to imply. Let me add that your false accusations are getting tiresome.
I made a list with all do-able for Ernst and you know it cause you read it (ask your buddy to google it). I also said that this is the very first 1976 SB pack I fully recommended and you know this, too.

Keep up the good work you do with FTD
It is great that fans are willing to put in time to help out Ernst.
Cheers
Piers

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:47 pm

For all the good fans out there..I will do my very best..and all others involved...too...it's a matter of honour..

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi
I will pick and choose on this suggestion tbh. Personally, i prefer compilations of outtakes which give the overall feel of the session whilst remaining an entertaining listen. The Stax releases which only used whole takes was a great listen. But FTD,s that contain false starts and short versions can also be good if done right e.g. GR vol 3. But for me twenty versions of one song is just dull. Each to their own. As regards live material. I would be really worried if Ernst is being encouraged to release 75 onwards material at the expense of more worthy material. I for one do not want to see any further soundboards from 74 onwards anytime soon. Ernst should be encouraged to release any remaining material from the professional material 69 to 72. With emphasis on Elvis On Tour gigs as a gapping hole in the FTD catalogue. Then I would like FTD remixes of MSG and Aloha. Only then focus on 70/73 soundboards. But if any one has Ernst ear please no more sound boards before the real quality professional recording material. I for one don't want any more soundboards depicting Elvis at his worst. It's like watching a car crash in slow motion. If Elvis is looking down from above I doubt he'd be to pleased about the material showcasing his demise.

Cheers Jamie

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:22 pm

Ciscoking wrote:For all the good fans out there..I will do my very best..and all others involved...too...it's a matter of honour..

Thanks!!
And I guess that if a suggestion gets to Ernst and FTD releases it, they will surely look at the figures later, so if they bomb, they bomb no matter what year or show or if Elvis himself suggested it. And if it sells, the same applies.

Fan tastes are not always equal to “critics” tastes. I remember jungle room sessions was a best seller ftd, and recently the sales of roustabout have been remarked by FTD

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:28 pm

frus75 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:22 am wrote:And I guess that if a suggestion gets to Ernst and FTD releases it, they will surely look at the figures later, so if they bomb, they bomb no matter what year or show or if Elvis himself suggested it. And if it sells, the same applies.

Fan tastes are not always equal to “critics” tastes. I remember jungle room sessions was a best seller ftd, and recently the sales of roustabout have been remarked by FTD

No need to misrepresent the recent "remarks" from FTD regarding sales of Roustabout. If anything, it was revealed that sales are not what they once were, but that Roustabout performed better than expected. A couple of you guys act as if Roustabout broke sales records.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:09 am

Any hard copy music sold today is a sales record.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:12 pm

Jamie on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:22 am wrote:Hi
I will pick and choose on this suggestion tbh. Personally, i prefer compilations of outtakes which give the overall feel of the session whilst remaining an entertaining listen. The Stax releases which only used whole takes was a great listen. But FTD,s that contain false starts and short versions can also be good if done right e.g. GR vol 3. But for me twenty versions of one song is just dull. Each to their own. As regards live material. I would be really worried if Ernst is being encouraged to release 75 onwards material at the expense of more worthy material. I for one do not want to see any further soundboards from 74 onwards anytime soon. Ernst should be encouraged to release any remaining material from the professional material 69 to 72. With emphasis on Elvis On Tour gigs as a gapping hole in the FTD catalogue. Then I would like FTD remixes of MSG and Aloha. Only then focus on 70/73 soundboards. But if any one has Ernst ear please no more sound boards before the real quality professional recording material. I for one don't want any more soundboards depicting Elvis at his worst. It's like watching a car crash in slow motion. If Elvis is looking down from above I doubt he'd be to pleased about the material showcasing his demise.

Cheers Jamie

Two comments per the text hightlighted in red:

Anything from Elvis On Tour will come out as a regular Sony/Legacy release to retail. Ernst has said this in the past, and in the new issue of ETMAHM, he has reaffirmed this as well. He realizes he's been saying this for a long time now, but the EOT material will in fact be a mainstream release.

Secondly, I totally agree with you regarding MSG & Aloha. Especially in regards to Aloha, it's an absolute crime that the main show has never received a proper mix & master of this legendeary concert. The one done years ago by Ferrante is just terrible. Every single CD release of the Aloha show sounds like crap, including the recent Legacy release. The main show should've been handled the same as the rehearsal show.

The Aloha FTD should be as follows:

Disc 1 - full remix & remaster of main Aloha concert by Vic Anesini
Disc 2 - full recording session for the insert songs for the telecast

Obviously, I would have no objection at all if Sebastian was involved as well, or completely on his own.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:17 am

Does Ernst say anything about what the next FTD vinyl release will be for 2018?

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:28 am

Trev1234 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:17 am wrote:Does Ernst say anything about what the next FTD vinyl release will be for 2018?

no

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:43 am

Rich_TCB on Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:12 pm wrote:The Aloha FTD should be as follows:

Disc 1 - full remix & remaster of main Aloha concert by Vic Anesini
Disc 2 - full recording session for the insert songs for the telecast

That would be the ideal format for a classic album series reissue.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:51 am

I don't think Vic Anesini is the guy to remix Aloha.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:57 am

An MSG FTD should be as follows:

Disc 1 - full remix & remaster of Evening concert
Disc 2 - full remix & remaster of Afternoon concert

Sourced from original master tapes from scratch
by any of: Vic Anesini, Jan Eliason or Sebastian Jeanson

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:13 am

Juan Luis on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 pm wrote:I don't think Vic Anesini is the guy to remix Aloha.

I disagree. His mixing on 1969 and 1970 concert material is arguably the best in the catalogue. Anesini has a long and distinguished career of mixing a wide variety of studio and live material. The last thing Aloha needs is to be loud and compressed like Michael Brauer's Prince From Another Planet.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:31 am

Aloha need lots of work cause it was poorly recorded to begin with, not the case with Vegas shows. Anesini's forte is MASTERING. And even then, he gets awfully close to redline and limiting is needed. Nevertheless, I enjoy his work.
Ex. Paul McCartney played some good drums on a few Beatles records. But no one is calling him to play drums. Cause that's not his best thing..even though he has done good work in that.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Trev1234 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:17 pm wrote:Does Ernst say anything about what the next FTD vinyl release will be for 2018?

Pick up a copy and find out:

https://www.nowdigthismagazine.co.uk/product/elvis-the-man-and-his-music-no-118201712

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

midnightx on December 11th, 2017, 4:13 am wrote:
Juan Luis on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 pm wrote:I don't think Vic Anesini is the guy to remix Aloha.

I disagree. His mixing on 1969 and 1970 concert material is arguably the best in the catalogue. Anesini has a long and distinguished career of mixing a wide variety of studio and live material. The last thing Aloha needs is to be loud and compressed like Michael Brauer's Prince From Another Planet.

Vic Anesini mastered the new RPO "Elvis´Christmas" cd at Battery Studio, New York.... :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:38 pm

Mike Windgren on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:16 pm wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

midnightx on December 11th, 2017, 4:13 am wrote:

Vic Anesini mastered the new RPO "Elvis´Christmas" cd at Battery Studio, New York.... :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.
A bit on the loud side..but that's what the non audiophile public wants!

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:38 am

hi

I remain unconvinced of there being an official release of EOT covering all four shows. Would they do an TTWII Delux equivalent? I doubt they would think the material was strong enough. I could see some limited release with FTD to pick up the scraps. Perhaps FTD are being forced to wait so that Sony drive what they want first. But I don't see why we couldn't even get a two disk version covering more rehearsals perhaps with a remix and remaster of the pretty poor SA recording presented on Close Up. But if Ernst says it won't be FTD then that is shame as far as I'm concerned. Christ knows when we will get anything - 2022 perhaps!

I do agree we need Classic album versions of Aloha and MSG. There must be better SQ to be had in the right hands. As has bee said Aloha main show is poor on all versions. And whilst I do enjoy the Prince efforts in the car or on headphones they are not great on my main system. They sound very congested with no width or space to the recording - it sounds like everyone is crowded centre stage. I do like EP's vocals though - never captured better imo.

cheers