Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:17 am

My goto version of Mojo is the undubbed / unedited available on the ftd "LLFE". Exciting music 100% r&b!

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:21 am

Pete Dube on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:46 pm wrote:I like YDHTSYLM, always have, but I gotta confess that, like The Wonder Of You, it's a performance that I've become less enamored of in recent years. Elvis' voice is full-bodied and undeniably impassioned; it's obvious he's channeling Tom Jones, but the record also served as a template for all the big belting ballads that followed. I think Elvis went to that well too many times in the 70's, and as he got more and more into that heavier, more belting delivery he tended to sing with less of the grace and nuance he perfected in the 60's.

Ernst and Gurnalink noted that in "A Life in Music." For better or worse, "Wonder of You" was the template that taught RCA and Elvis to largely follow for the next seven years, with occasional side trips into other types of music.

I do enjoy the song, although I see their point.

Lots of other singers seemed to lose nuance too; Neil Diamond and Sinatra come to mind.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:33 am

Good grief! There isn't one song from Elvis after 1970 that no matter how good it is, turns into a thread about how he could have been better or not good for this and or that! "My friends didn't like it"....Well I don't give a crap if anyone's friends liked it or not! It is none of my business what others think. Some here need therapy pronto!~.. For it has been over 40 freakin' years. That being said.... ::rocks

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:35 am

MRM on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:21 pm wrote:
Pete Dube on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:46 pm wrote:I like YDHTSYLM, always have, but I gotta confess that, like The Wonder Of You, it's a performance that I've become less enamored of in recent years. Elvis' voice is full-bodied and undeniably impassioned; it's obvious he's channeling Tom Jones, but the record also served as a template for all the big belting ballads that followed. I think Elvis went to that well too many times in the 70's, and as he got more and more into that heavier, more belting delivery he tended to sing with less of the grace and nuance he perfected in the 60's.

Ernst and Gurnalink noted that in "A Life in Music." For better or worse, "Wonder of You" was the template that taught RCA and Elvis to largely follow for the next seven years, with occasional side trips into other types of music.

I do enjoy the song, although I see their point.

Lots of other singers seemed to lose nuance too; Neil Diamond and Sinatra come to mind.

I'm not sure if Guralnick and Ernst are correct - there are more songs that go against that argument than for it. But The Wonder of You certainly is one of the songs and sounds that everyone associated with Elvis, although, as others have also mentioned, I have fallen out of love with it over the years due to too much exposure.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:41 am

Among the general public though, there's certainly that impression.

Regarding "Mojo," the "undubbed master" takes from bootlegs I find online still have horns and background singers. Were they recorded live? Or are those not really undubbed versions?

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:50 am

MRM on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:41 pm wrote:Among the general public though, there's certainly that impression.

Regarding "Mojo," the "undubbed master" takes from bootlegs I find online still have horns and background singers. Were they recorded live? Or are those not really undubbed versions?

All voices and horns were overdubbed after the session. What's on the bootleg/s you describe are various unedited forms of the released master.

As noted, you can hear the unedited and undubbed master on the second disc of Love Letters From Elvis (FTD).

http://www.elvisinnorway.no/lovelettersftd.html

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:51 am

The real undubbed version is on the Ftd: the core band and Elvis. No overdubs, no strings, no vegas sound.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:53 am

Virtually every non-Elvis Presley fan I know is unfamiliar with "The Wonder of You." It was a Presley hit and obviously quite popular in the U.K., but it is not one of the more obvious, long-standing, endearing hits in the Elvis canon recognized by the general public outside of the Elvis Presley fandom -- at least from my experience in the U.S. "Suspicious Minds" and "Heartbreak Hotel?" Yes. "The Wonder of You?" Not so much.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:58 am

midnightx on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:53 pm wrote:Virtually every non-Elvis Presley fan I know is unfamiliar with "The Wonder of You." It was a Presley hit and obviously quite popular in the U.K., but it is not one of the more obvious, long-standing, endearing hits in the Elvis canon recognized by the general public outside of the Elvis Presley fandom -- at least from my experience in the U.S. "Suspicious Minds" and "Heartbreak Hotel?" Yes. "The Wonder of You?" Not so much.

Secondary markets really adore Elvis' lesser-known songs.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:03 am

drjohncarpenter on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:58 pm wrote:
midnightx on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:53 pm wrote:Virtually every non-Elvis Presley fan I know is unfamiliar with "The Wonder of You." It was a Presley hit and obviously quite popular in the U.K., but it is not one of the more obvious, long-standing, endearing hits in the Elvis canon recognized by the general public outside of the Elvis Presley fandom -- at least from my experience in the U.S. "Suspicious Minds" and "Heartbreak Hotel?" Yes. "The Wonder of You?" Not so much.

You should be thankful for secondary market fans as Ernst Jorgensen doing for Presley's legacy what his fellow countrymen didn't.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:13 am

drjohncarpenter on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:50 pm wrote:
MRM on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:41 pm wrote:Among the general public though, there's certainly that impression.

All voices and horns were overdubbed after the session. What's on the bootleg/s you describe are various unedited forms of the released master.

As noted, you can hear the unedited and undubbed master on the second disc of Love Letters From Elvis (FTD).

Yep another monstrosity of overdubbing madness. One one wonders how music critics would have received some of Elvis’ later work with no or thoughtful dubbing. When thoughtful like Merry Xmas Baby or Burning Love, the result was improved. This was rare and became rarer.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:17 am

fn2drive on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:13 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:50 pm wrote:

Yep another monstrosity of overdubbing madness. One one wonders how music critics would have received some of Elvis’ later work with no or thoughtful dubbing. When thoughtful like Merry Xmas Baby or Burning Love, the result was improved. This was rare and became rarer.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:17 am

Juan Luis on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:03 pm wrote:

You should be thankful for secondary market fans as Ernst Jorgensen doing for Presley's legacy what his fellow countrymen didn't.

OUCH! :lol:

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:51 am

midnightx on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:53 pm wrote:Virtually every non-Elvis Presley fan I know is unfamiliar with "The Wonder of You." It was a Presley hit and obviously quite popular in the U.K., but it is not one of the more obvious, long-standing, endearing hits in the Elvis canon recognized by the general public outside of the Elvis Presley fandom -- at least from my experience in the U.S. "Suspicious Minds" and "Heartbreak Hotel?" Yes. "The Wonder of You?" Not so much.

Everyone's impressions are different. "Wonder of You" was his second-to-last US top 10 hit and I've heard it plenty of times on US oldies stations. More than "Burning Love" on the stations I listen to.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:54 am

MRM on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm wrote:
midnightx on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:53 pm wrote:Virtually every non-Elvis Presley fan I know is unfamiliar with "The Wonder of You." It was a Presley hit and obviously quite popular in the U.K., but it is not one of the more obvious, long-standing, endearing hits in the Elvis canon recognized by the general public outside of the Elvis Presley fandom -- at least from my experience in the U.S. "Suspicious Minds" and "Heartbreak Hotel?" Yes. "The Wonder of You?" Not so much.

Everyone's impressions are different. "Wonder of You" was his second-to-last US top 10 hit and I've heard it plenty of times on US oldies stations. More than "Burning Love" on the stations I listen to.

Absolutely. His attempts to damn it with faint praise are almost as comical as his My Boy hilarity. He loves a good My Boy chuckle, does old eXer... and so do we, gawd bless 'im :lol: :wink:

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:44 am

Juan Luis on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:03 pm wrote:

There is really no need to disparage Joan Deary.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:51 am

Hard Rocker on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:54 pm wrote:
MRM on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm wrote:

Absolutely. His attempts to damn it with faint praise are almost as comical as his My Boy hilarity. He loves a good My Boy chuckle, does old eXer... and so do we, gawd bless 'im :lol: :wink:

It was actually straight-forward with no faint praise or ulterior motives. I acknowledged that it was a hit and enthusiastically adored in the U.K. I have never hidden my view that it is a bland, monotone, overrated track in the Elvis Presley canon. That also does not change my personal observation that the song is not particularly well-known in 2017 outside of the Elvis Presley fandom in the U.S. There was nothing particularly controversial or inciting about my post, but leave it up to you to manufacture something. poormadpeter2 has taught you well.

And what is wrong with a good "My Boy" joke? :wink:

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:13 am

midnightx on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:51 pm wrote: I acknowledged that it was a hit and enthusiastically adored in the U.K. I have never hidden my view that it is a bland, monotone, overrated track in the Elvis Presley canon...

...which has appeared on numerous "best of" compilations. :wink:

By the way, TWOY may be many things but it is most certainly not "monotone"!!! C'mon now! Any cat with even an ounce of music in them should be able to hear that!!!

midnightx on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:51 pm wrote:There was nothing particularly controversial or inciting about my post, but leave it up to you to manufacture something. poormadpeter2 has taught you well.

When people start mistaking me for him in the way that they mistake you for your master, then I'll have something to concern me.. :P :lol:

midnightx on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:51 pm wrote:
And what is wrong with a good "My Boy" joke? :wink:

Nothing at all. We need more of them, say I,,, and I know just the very man to unleash the laughter! :lol:

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:37 am

"Hound Dog" , "Jailhouse Rock" ? Absolutely ...

"A Big Hunk O Love" ? "Surrender"?

Huh ?
Last edited by minkahed on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:44 am

MRM on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:51 pm wrote:

He ain't kiddin' either ...

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:34 am

drjohncarpenter on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:12 am wrote:
rlj4ep on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:16 pm wrote:"You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" is a terrific performance from Elvis. It's another great example of Elvis performing a cover and yet making the song his own. The dramatic presentation elevates Elvis' performance above all others IMHO. His vocals are terrific on this one throughout. The dramatic opening is very appealing to me with Elvis presenting an cappella, "When I said..." followed by the drums and then the instruments is masterful. I never, never tire of this gem!

This was a song which also worked quite well for Elvis in concert due to the arrangement. Hearing him perform this live brought me and many others literally out of their seats! Great job Elvis!!

rlj

Have you ever heard Dusty Springfield's "signature" recording?

Yes I have heard her "signature" recording. It is nicely done. I however, prefer Elvis' "cover" of the song and think the performance is much better than any other I've ever heard. My rationale in my initial post need not be repeated here and I stand on what I wrote.

rlj

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:44 am

rlj4ep on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:16 pm wrote:"You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" is a terrific performance from Elvis. It's another great example of Elvis performing a cover and yet making the song his own. The dramatic presentation elevates Elvis' performance above all others IMHO. His vocals are terrific on this one throughout. The dramatic opening is very appealing to me with Elvis presenting an cappella, "When I said..." followed by the drums and then the instruments is masterful. I never, never tire of this gem!

This was a song which also worked quite well for Elvis in concert due to the arrangement. Hearing him perform this live brought me and many others literally out of their seats! Great job Elvis!!

rlj

Now that I answered your question let me ask one; Did you ever attend a concert where Elvis performed this song hearing the sincerity, power, and conviction in his voice, while watching his facial expressions and body language communicating that he was committed to that song?

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:13 pm

rlj4ep on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:12 am wrote:Have you ever heard Dusty Springfield's "signature" recording?

Now that I answered your question let me ask one; Did you ever attend a concert where Elvis performed this song hearing the sincerity, power, and conviction in his voice, while watching his facial expressions and body language communicating that he was committed to that song?

Nope. Did you ever attend a concert where Dusty performed this song hearing the sincerity, power, and conviction in her voice, while watching her facial expressions and body language communicating that she was committed to that song?

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:58 pm

midnightx on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:53 pm wrote:Virtually every non-Elvis Presley fan I know is unfamiliar with "The Wonder of You." It was a Presley hit and obviously quite popular in the U.K.

'quite popular' is an understatement to say the least.

We know that you are biased when it comes to this excellent recording.

midnightx on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:27 am wrote:I won't lose any sleep if I never hear this vastly overrated Presley track again.

It has the distinction of not only being the UK's biggest selling single of 1970 and staying at Number #1 for 6 weeks but also gives Elvis the accolade of being the only artist to have the years top selling single in 3 different decades here in the UK.:-

1. Jailhouse Rock (1958)
2. It's Now Or Never (1960)
3. Wooden Heart (1961)
4. The Wonder Of You (1970)

Andy

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:27 pm

rlj4ep on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:44 am wrote:

rlj

I will answer you. I attended the MSG concert where he sang it. I thought it was terribly rushed with little emotion and conviction in his voice unlike his studio version. Its like he wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. I think his voice even cracked a bit on the final note. Dusty blows him away live, Check out some of her TV performances of this song.