Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:59 pm

jurasic1968 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:22 am wrote:It's my opinion that Elvis first should go to UK, West Germany and other countries, and after that in a world tour, including Japan and the South East Asia (South Korea, the Phillipines, Australia......)


That was the purpose of Aloha. That show basically stated this was never going to happen, here I am for the world to see. You want to see Elvis in concert? Tune in. Once that show aired, my UK friend dismissed the notion of ever seeing Elvis, and basically dismissed Elvis. I think this was a major mistake on Elvis' part since he was probably more popular in many other countries than his own. You can blame the Col and his dirty little secret only so much. If this meant so much to Elvis, he could have made it happen. I bet a phone call to Sinatra or Weintraub would have helped. In my opinion Elvis probably wanted to tour the UK and the world after his 1969 comeback, but the urge to do it lessened every year with the never ending Vegas gigs. Vegas was bad news.

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:00 pm

From 70 - 73, he was busy re-establishing himself as a live act in the US - No problem there.
From 74 onwards, personal and health problems began to kick in as the wheels came off the wagon.
The Parker situation is well-documented.

Don't feed the trolls. :wink:

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Vegas, again and again. I am sure if Elvis talked more to Frank Sinatra, he could be more involved in his career, including a world tour (the Ol' Blue Eyes sang in England as early as 1950 !)

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:05 pm

jeanno on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 am wrote:
jurasic1968 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:10 pm wrote:If Elvis fired the Colonel for good in September 1973, I believe with a new manager (Jerry Weintraub, Tom Hulett or someone else ) he would go to UK. The reason was pointed thousands of times here and elsewhere, the Colonel had no passport and he didn't want others to find out he was an illegal immigrant in the US.

The colonel should have been fired in 1957, when he ruined the relationship between Elvis and Leiber/Stoller.
In fact, I wish Parker never entered the story.
It wasn't as if they were Lennon and McCartney. The had limited hit potential by the early 60's, and seemed to concentrate on parody. They stopped writing great hits after the early 60's..for anyone.

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:10 pm

So, Bossa Nova Baby was their last hit (number 8 in the US) for Elvis ?

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:35 pm

drjohncarpenter on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:46 am wrote:
rlj4ep on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:33 pm wrote:But there is no hard evidence documented, that I've seen anyway, which indicates that Elvis felt overseas markets weren't "important to perform or visit." All we have is mere conjecture on that. From what I've read Elvis said he wanted to tour abroad. Beyond this and more impactful for me, were conversations I had personally with Billy Smith and Charlie Hodge years ago. When asked directly, they both said that Elvis wanted to tour overseas.



That he played over 1000 documented shows in about eight years time with exactly ZERO of them performed in the U.K. is very strong evidence that it was not a primary market in the eyes of management, label or artist.


Pure conjecture...., you're always asking for the "proof," the evidence so-to-speak..., please show me where the management, label, or Elvis himself ever said that. If you can't, it's pure conjecture

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Juan Luis on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:05 pm wrote:
jeanno on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 am wrote:
jurasic1968 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:10 pm wrote:If Elvis fired the Colonel for good in September 1973, I believe with a new manager (Jerry Weintraub, Tom Hulett or someone else ) he would go to UK. The reason was pointed thousands of times here and elsewhere, the Colonel had no passport and he didn't want others to find out he was an illegal immigrant in the US.

The colonel should have been fired in 1957, when he ruined the relationship between Elvis and Leiber/Stoller.
In fact, I wish Parker never entered the story.
It wasn't as if they were Lennon and McCartney. The had limited hit potential by the early 60's, and seemed to concentrate on parody. They stopped writing great hits after the early 60's..for anyone.

You cannot know what would have happened if Elvis had continued his relationship with Leiber & Stoller from 1958 onwards.
Anyway the 68 special was a nice tribute to them too as Elvis sang several of their compositions, including the opening number.

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:02 pm

And Jailhouse Rock.

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:07 pm

jeanno on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:58 am wrote:
Juan Luis on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:05 pm wrote:
jeanno on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 am wrote:
jurasic1968 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:10 pm wrote:If Elvis fired the Colonel for good in September 1973, I believe with a new manager (Jerry Weintraub, Tom Hulett or someone else ) he would go to UK. The reason was pointed thousands of times here and elsewhere, the Colonel had no passport and he didn't want others to find out he was an illegal immigrant in the US.

The colonel should have been fired in 1957, when he ruined the relationship between Elvis and Leiber/Stoller.
In fact, I wish Parker never entered the story.
It wasn't as if they were Lennon and McCartney. The had limited hit potential by the early 60's, and seemed to concentrate on parody. They stopped writing great hits after the early 60's..for anyone.

You cannot know what would have happened if Elvis had continued his relationship with Leiber & Stoller from 1958 onwards.
Anyway the 68 special was a nice tribute to them too as Elvis sang several of their compositions, including the opening number.
And neither can you. Cause it did not happen. However, we safely state that Elvis got the best of them percentage % wise of all their compositions.
Yes, great 1968 Special opening with the Leiber-Stoller number coupled (in medley), with one of his rebirth tracks... "Guitar Man".

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:11 pm

jetblack on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:27 am wrote:The Nick Keene article puts the FACTS into perspective:-

https://www.elvis.com.au/presley/one-bi ... ales.shtml

In Europe alone virtually all the big Presley hits from 'It's Now or Never' onwards more than matched US sales and there is a wealth of evidence available to prove this. Indeed not only did the 1974/5 single 'My Boy' actually sell more copies (450,000) in the UK than it did in the States but a 1971 single 'You Don't Have To Say You Love Me' did likewise in Japan.

As for singles thanks to the songwriters we know how the sales split in some cases - for example in 1969/70 when 'The Wonder of You' sold exactly 995,000 copies in the USA and some 2,200,000 overseas. It was pretty much the same with 'Don't Cry Daddy'. And by the time we get to 1977 and 'Way Down' the overseas market had become completely dominant.

Andy

You are correct. Elvis was dying/dead in the largest market in the world. But he was still King in the countries where the light of nostaglia acts never dimmed.

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:21 pm

fn2drive on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:11 pm wrote:
jetblack on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:27 am wrote:The Nick Keene article puts the FACTS into perspective:-

https://www.elvis.com.au/presley/one-bi ... ales.shtml

In Europe alone virtually all the big Presley hits from 'It's Now or Never' onwards more than matched US sales and there is a wealth of evidence available to prove this. Indeed not only did the 1974/5 single 'My Boy' actually sell more copies (450,000) in the UK than it did in the States but a 1971 single 'You Don't Have To Say You Love Me' did likewise in Japan.

As for singles thanks to the songwriters we know how the sales split in some cases - for example in 1969/70 when 'The Wonder of You' sold exactly 995,000 copies in the USA and some 2,200,000 overseas. It was pretty much the same with 'Don't Cry Daddy'. And by the time we get to 1977 and 'Way Down' the overseas market had become completely dominant.

Andy

You are correct.


Andy

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:49 pm

midnightx on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:55 am wrote:
goldbelt on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:23 pm wrote:I never argued the article's relevance or otherwise in regard to the post that you answered. Maybe you could try to work a little harder on your own reading comprehension yourself before advising others to do so.

That was the post I replied to, not your obsession with the UK and its market status. Your response to me was about the UK, and I pointed out that it was irrelevant to the communication between me and the two members who asked me about the term "secondary market" as it pertains to the music business. The article I quickly found within 15 seconds on Google is not as revealing as some here want it to be, particularly with its reference to the UK.

goldbelt on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:23 pm wrote:Inadvertently, however, with the same article you also managed to show that you and your buddy have been misusing and misunderstanding the term 'secondary market' when using it to describe the UK market's importance to The King.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I did not bring up the UK as a secondary market in this thread. It was not an argument that I was making. Nevertheless, the reality is that in comparison to the U.S. music market, the U.K. was secondary during the 1970's in terms of overall sales, gross dollars, and number of individual viable markets within its borders. It is nothing personal, nor is it a jab at the U.K. and FECC posters with U.K. citizenship. It is just reality. Much like Brazil was secondary to the U.K., the U.K. was secondary to the U.S. for marketshare and revenue generating purposes. If certain FECC posters are going to make it something more than that, they clearly have personal issues they need to address.

goldbelt on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:23 pm wrote:'Secondary market' refers to markets where they may be reluctant to expend money and resources on promoting an artist due to things like a lack of a significant following in that market, or a potential lack of return on investment, or an underdeveloped music industry in a particular country.

That may be one aspect of it, but the concept also refers to music markets that do not generate the same top-end revenues as primary markets. It also refers to ticket resellers (as in a secondary ticketing market). It also is relevant to press exposure -- for example, a poor Elvis concert in Knoxville was not necessarily going to get the same media attention and traction as a substandard show in Los Angeles. There are a number of ways in which "secondary market" is used and referred to in the music business -- and that was the point, "secondary market" is indeed a term used in the music business.

It is ironic how the band of detractors and naysayers went silent when it was revealed that the term "secondary market" is used in the music business, then quickly regrouped, and tried to spin this into a referendum regarding the U.K.'s status as a primary music market during the 1970's. Your ongoing desperation and constant need for aggressively pursuing contrarian positions at all costs is comical.

goldbelt on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:23 pm wrote:And since no such issues were the case with the UK music industry, and given the huge popularity of Elvis in the UK, only a fool would continue to argue that the UK was a 'secondary market' for him.

Again, sales of a top-ten hit in the U.K. circa 1970 were equivalent to Elvis performing well in just two U.S. states; clearly there were huge discrepancies in the numbers between the two countries. Elvis could play large arenas across the U.S., both in major and secondary domestic markets, during the 1970's; how many could he have played in the U.K.? Not nearly as many. There was significantly more money to be made in the U.S. Again, it is not a knock against the U.K. during the 1970's as a music market, but compared to what could be generated in the U.S., the U.K. music market for Elvis was much more limited.


It seems the only ones obsessed with the UK and it's market status are those who can't discuss the UK market without adding the phrase 'secondary market' to their replies. It's so ingrained, it's even a 'secondary market' for UK artist Dusty Springfield according to them.

But there is so much wrong in your reply, it seems you were keen to source an article but yet have no interest in trying to learn anything from what the article actually says.

By the time one gets to your claims of 'desperation', 'aggressively pursuing contrarian positions', etc ............ well, it seems like I've read all that from you before when directed at others who you don't agree with.

I've addressed the fact in a previous reply that the US is a desirable market for artists to succeed in because of coverage and earning potential, of course it is - but that doesn't automatically deem all other countries 'secondary' markets', your article find should tell you that.

Nor does it stop hugely successful US artists trying for success in other countries - which should also tell you something.

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:05 pm

fn2drive on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:24 am wrote:
r&b on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:40 pm wrote:but the UK (and every other country) is a secondary market to the US, when it comes to consumer audience and media exposure. If it wasnt the immortal Olivia Newton-John would have been content to remain in Australia.


Or the BeeGees. Let’s face it, the non US market was so important to Elvis that he made sure to tour the world repeatedly in support of his fans there.


You guys are comical, with your 'they would have stayed in Australia' nonsense.

How many hugely successful US artists can you name that don't sell records Worldwide and are "content" to only remain within the US. :facep:

As for the comment about Elvis touring the world, well that's just desperate and unbelievably uninformed.

Don't worry, the US is an important market, but not the only important market. Try to acknowledge that fact.

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:52 pm

r&b on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:59 am wrote:
jurasic1968 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:22 am wrote:It's my opinion that Elvis first should go to UK, West Germany and other countries, and after that in a world tour, including Japan and the South East Asia (South Korea, the Phillipines, Australia......)


That was the purpose of Aloha. That show basically stated this was never going to happen, here I am for the world to see. You want to see Elvis in concert? Tune in. Once that show aired, my UK friend dismissed the notion of ever seeing Elvis, and basically dismissed Elvis. I think this was a major mistake on Elvis' part since he was probably more popular in many other countries than his own. You can blame the Col and his dirty little secret only so much. If this meant so much to Elvis, he could have made it happen. I bet a phone call to Sinatra or Weintraub would have helped. In my opinion Elvis probably wanted to tour the UK and the world after his 1969 comeback, but the urge to do it lessened every year with the never ending Vegas gigs. Vegas was bad news.


A World Tour after his '69 comeback or right after his '70 Houston Astrodome shows would have been, idea times to go.

Many of us at the time when hearing about Elvis' next TV Special - a live concert Via Satellite Worldwide was asking? Why not just go?

We don't get the answer to the question, but was hearing... to allow the whole world the chance to see a Presley concert since it is impossible for us to play in every major city.

Got to give Parker credit for playing that card :smt023

Now the topic becomes...WOW! A live concert Via Satellite Worldwide!

Image

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:30 am

jurasic1968 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:47 pm wrote:Right.


That´s your favourite word, "right" ...

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:36 am

fn2drive on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:49 am wrote:
midnightx on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:05 pm wrote:Hitting #10 or #11 on the charts is more than respectable, especially considering that "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" is not a particularly great Presley track -- Elvis' vocal delivery is overly melodramatic and the outro crescendo/post-production is garish.


That take 1 rehearsal is pretty fantastic. But these were early signals of the bombast to come. While he pulls it of pretty well here. It was a slippery slope and a steep drop.


Another comment from you, following the ahh so familiar track. Thanks...

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:40 am

drjohncarpenter on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:12 am wrote:
rlj4ep on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:16 pm wrote:"You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" is a terrific performance from Elvis. It's another great example of Elvis performing a cover and yet making the song his own. The dramatic presentation elevates Elvis' performance above all others IMHO. His vocals are terrific on this one throughout. The dramatic opening is very appealing to me with Elvis presenting an cappella, "When I said..." followed by the drums and then the instruments is masterful. I never, never tire of this gem!

This was a song which also worked quite well for Elvis in concert due to the arrangement. Hearing him perform this live brought me and many others literally out of their seats! Great job Elvis!!

rlj


Have you ever heard Dusty Springfield's "signature" recording?


He/she might, or might have not...only a fragment of people live in US...

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:41 am

Son Of A Preacher Man.

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:48 am

midnightx on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:41 pm wrote:
MRM on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:28 pm wrote:
jeanno on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:24 am wrote:
r&b on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:57 pm wrote:
midnightx on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:42 am wrote:
jurasic1968 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:32 am wrote:So what, peter? How many positive reviews received Elvis in the 50's when he became the King of Rock and Roll?

poormadpeter2 is obsessed with reviews. He doesn't quite get the big picture.


I remember quite positive reviews for FEIM , the live 69 album, and Elvis Country (Rolling Stone or Crawdaddy?) These were the only albums I can remember getting positive reviews post 68 TV special. For Elvis Back In Memphis I dont remember the overall review but I do remember a review stating how Elvis should record more songs like Stranger In My Own Home Town.
I would love to read that one, about recording more blues songs. I've always felt the same and that is mostly the reason why i do not listen to the post 1971 recordings.


Everyone is entitled to their favorite Elvis' songs and era, but skipping everything after 1971 leaves out some fine music, including the handful of real rockers he cut in that time: "Burning Love," "Promised Land," "T-R-O-U-B-L-E."

Agreed. If one stops at 1971, they miss out on the glorious "My Boy," recorded in 1973.


Is there any post posted by midnightx that djc don´t like?

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:55 am

MRM on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:21 pm wrote:
Pete Dube on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:46 pm wrote:I like YDHTSYLM, always have, but I gotta confess that, like The Wonder Of You, it's a performance that I've become less enamored of in recent years. Elvis' voice is full-bodied and undeniably impassioned; it's obvious he's channeling Tom Jones, but the record also served as a template for all the big belting ballads that followed. I think Elvis went to that well too many times in the 70's, and as he got more and more into that heavier, more belting delivery he tended to sing with less of the grace and nuance he perfected in the 60's.


Ernst and Gurnalink noted that in "A Life in Music." For better or worse, "Wonder of You" was the template that taught RCA and Elvis to largely follow for the next seven years, with occasional side trips into other types of music.

I do enjoy the song, although I see their point.

Lots of other singers seemed to lose nuance too; Neil Diamond and Sinatra come to mind.


WOY showed the way...to the songs he liked. It really is that simple.

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:00 am

midnightx on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:53 pm wrote:Virtually every non-Elvis Presley fan I know is unfamiliar with "The Wonder of You." It was a Presley hit and obviously quite popular in the U.K., but it is not one of the more obvious, long-standing, endearing hits in the Elvis canon recognized by the general public outside of the Elvis Presley fandom -- at least from my experience in the U.S. "Suspicious Minds" and "Heartbreak Hotel?" Yes. "The Wonder of You?" Not so much.


You are funny...but you clearly have limited knowledge of the music EP did. I´m not surprised...

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 am

r&b on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:00 pm wrote:
MRM on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 am wrote:
r&b on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 am wrote:
FredAistair on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:00 am wrote:
r&b on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:27 pm wrote:
rlj4ep on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:44 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:12 am wrote:
rlj4ep on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:16 pm wrote:"You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" is a terrific performance from Elvis. It's another great example of Elvis performing a cover and yet making the song his own. The dramatic presentation elevates Elvis' performance above all others IMHO. His vocals are terrific on this one throughout. The dramatic opening is very appealing to me with Elvis presenting an cappella, "When I said..." followed by the drums and then the instruments is masterful. I never, never tire of this gem!

This was a song which also worked quite well for Elvis in concert due to the arrangement. Hearing him perform this live brought me and many others literally out of their seats! Great job Elvis!!

rlj


Have you ever heard Dusty Springfield's "signature" recording?


Now that I answered your question let me ask one; Did you ever attend a concert where Elvis performed this song hearing the sincerity, power, and conviction in his voice, while watching his facial expressions and body language communicating that he was committed to that song?


I will answer you. I attended the MSG concert where he sang it. I thought it was terribly rushed with little emotion and conviction in his voice unlike his studio version. Its like he wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. I think his voice even cracked a bit on the final note. Dusty blows him away live, Check out some of her TV performances of this song.


I am sure I have seen a version from Vegas where his presence alone sweeps all before him


If u can find it, post it. I know of no official film of him singing it live, but I dont know all that is out there like many here do


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vx183adJm4

From August 1970, cut from "That's the Way It Is."


Yes I have seen this and to me its forgettable, in fact I think the MSG version is better. Goofing with the lyrics, messing them up, and you think this sweeps all before? He is in good voice, better than the Garden, but to me its not a good performance for reasons I have stated. For my money this is the best live version I have ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR4vE9xL3yk



It´s a beautiful version. As always, it´s about what you prefer...

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:10 am

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:42 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:28 pm wrote:
r&b on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:00 am wrote:
MRM on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 am wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vx183adJm4

From August 1970, cut from "That's the Way It Is."



Yes I have seen this and to me its forgettable, in fact I think the MSG version is better. Goofing with the lyrics, messing them up, and you think this sweeps all before? He is in good voice, better than the Garden, but to me its not a good performance for reasons I have stated. For my money this is the best live version I have ever heard:

phpBB [media]




Wow! 7,847,600 views, too.

The clip of "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" is from "Dusty" AKA "The Dusty Springfield Show" (BBC 1, Tuesday, September 19, 1967).

Dusty did very well in secondary markets, her single reaching #1 in the U.K. on May 4, 1966:
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19660428/7501/


Errr...when is the UK a secondary market for a UK artist?!


Hilarious :D

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:15 am

EPA4368 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:52 am wrote:
r&b on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:59 am wrote:
jurasic1968 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:22 am wrote:It's my opinion that Elvis first should go to UK, West Germany and other countries, and after that in a world tour, including Japan and the South East Asia (South Korea, the Phillipines, Australia......)


That was the purpose of Aloha. That show basically stated this was never going to happen, here I am for the world to see. You want to see Elvis in concert? Tune in. Once that show aired, my UK friend dismissed the notion of ever seeing Elvis, and basically dismissed Elvis. I think this was a major mistake on Elvis' part since he was probably more popular in many other countries than his own. You can blame the Col and his dirty little secret only so much. If this meant so much to Elvis, he could have made it happen. I bet a phone call to Sinatra or Weintraub would have helped. In my opinion Elvis probably wanted to tour the UK and the world after his 1969 comeback, but the urge to do it lessened every year with the never ending Vegas gigs. Vegas was bad news.


A World Tour after his '69 comeback or right after his '70 Houston Astrodome shows would have been, idea times to go.

Many of us at the time when hearing about Elvis' next TV Special - a live concert Via Satellite Worldwide was asking? Why not just go?

We don't get the answer to the question, but was hearing... to allow the whole world the chance to see a Presley concert since it is impossible for us to play in every major city.

Got to give Parker credit for playing that card :smt023

Now the topic becomes...WOW! A live concert Via Satellite Worldwide!

Image


This had little to do with any genius of Tom Parker. RCA had an Intelsat build a communications satellite built and launched by iirc Hughes aerospace. The satellite was expected to be commissioned Jan 73. Can’t recall if Aloha was broadcast on Intelsat 3 or 4 or if airtime was purchased from a RCA Canada satellite. In any event RCA had a desperate need to demonstrate the satellite was a sound decision and approached Parker to have Elvis serve as the content. None of this is to diminish Elvis incredible achievement as, short of a Beatles reunion, no one could have commanded a global audience. But nonetheless, this was simply a commercial transaction that Parker used to wield a heavy stick with RCA. Any surprise the one sided buyout deal quickly followed? Not to me. Can you say quid pro quo.

Re: You Don't Have to Say You Love Me -The Single

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:17 am

fn2drive on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:11 pm wrote:
jetblack on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:34 am wrote:
fn2drive on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:58 pm wrote:Though I have to keep reminding myself, on this board , Tom Parker was the greatest manager ever.


Another generalisation which doesn't stand up.

Please list the quote of where this is stated.

Andy


Of course it is a generalization. Search the board history for all the examples of the perfection of all that came into Elvis’ orbit and hence QED.


You mean, the way you treat most of his music...?