Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fort Wayne interview, March 30 1957

Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:35 am

Has this interview been available before?

Bob Chase WOWO Exclusive Interview with Elvis Presley

https://audioboom.com/posts/6508137-listen-bob-chase-wowo-exclusive-interview-with-elvis-presley
Last edited by The fool on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Fort Wayne interview, March 31st 1957

Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:43 am

As we get ready to honor Bob at the Fort Wayne Komets’ Bob Chase Memorial Game on Thursday, November 23rd, Bob’s family came forward with the original Elvis Presley interview. It was first heard on WOWO on March 31, 1957. It was then aired again in 1988. To help promote the Bob Chase Memorial Game, Bob’s family allowed WOWO to air the interview for only the third time in 60 years. They have also given WOWO permission to share this piece of history with you.

https://www.wmee.com/wowo-exclusive-bob-chase-interview-with-elvis-presley/

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:03 am

The fool on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:35 pm wrote:Has this interview been available before?

Bob Chase WOWO Exclusive Interview with Elvis Presley

https://audioboom.com/posts/6508137-listen-bob-chase-wowo-exclusive-interview-with-elvis-presley

The fool on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:43 pm wrote:As we get ready to honor Bob at the Fort Wayne Komets’ Bob Chase Memorial Game on Thursday, November 23rd, Bob’s family came forward with the original Elvis Presley interview. It was first heard on WOWO on March 31, 1957. It was then aired again in 1988. To help promote the Bob Chase Memorial Game, Bob’s family allowed WOWO to air the interview for only the third time in 60 years. They have also given WOWO permission to share this piece of history with you.

Wow, another outstanding share with all of us. Thank you so much.

The interview was done backstage in Fort Wayne on 3-30-1957 (Sat) before the show Elvis gave that night.

See:
http://scottymoore.net/FtWayne.html
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31331

The interviewer was pretty famous in his area:

For 56 years, Bob Chase has been an institution as the voice of the Fort Wayne Komets, one of the premier franchises in minor league hockey. ... games, covering the Indiana High School basketball tournament, the Indianapolis 500 as well as interviewing such stars as Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra and Trevino and Nicklaus!

https://www.amazon.com/Live-Radio-Rinkside-Chase-Story/dp/1438944810

Sadly, Bob passed away almost exactly a year ago:
https://www.wowo.com/wowo-legend-bob-chase-dies-age-90/

What Elvis speaks about is pretty familiar to those of us who have heard his other media chats of the period. But it's still very cool to hear another one, after all these years! Below is my transcription of the interview.

Thanks again!

570330_w Bob Chase_WOWO Radio_01.jpg

We’ll take it, uh, right from there with Mr. Presley to mix one up and do the talking.

I was listening to you or, uh, uh, now wait a minute, I don't wanna, uh, you know, listen, you or somebody was talking about you because I heard "Bob Chase" about four or five times on the radio today.

While you were traveling?

Yeah, while I was on the way out here.

You might’ve picked us up throughout the area. We’re, we're struck out nationwide …

Yeah.

How do you feel sitting backstage before a performance now?

Well I, uh, I enjoy when I'm talking to people and everything and meeting a lot of these people. And, too, I can straighten a lot of rumors out, because people always hear things and they want to get it straightened out. And I think maybe I can ...

Any particular amount of nervousness at all?

Yes sir. Quite a bit.

Quite a bit. Have you seen things since you started?

I haven’t gotten to the point, yet, where I’m completely at ease. I don't think I ever will be.

What affects your type of performance, your going on stage?

Uh, when I first walk on stage it's my very nervous, I mean my, you know, nervousness ...

That’s your maximum point right there?

Yeah.

Uh, as far as the records are concerned, what do you have happening, anything at all? New releases? Of course “All Shook Up” is going great right now.

“All Shook Up” and uh …

Nothing new in the immediate future coming?

Not any time soon, no.

Uh, one thing that, uh, I’d like to ask you as far as this particular area is concerned, uh, what is your religious denomination?

Well, well, all my life I was, uh, Assembly of God.

I see, Church of God. The Church of God?

Yes.

And do you currently attend? Of course, you’re pretty busy ...

Well, I’m usually gone, I’m never home. And whenever I get some free time, well, I do.

And what kind of traveling do you do, train, bus or car?

I go by train most of the time.

That’s your preferred way of going?

Well, if I can get a drawing room, you know, a bed or something, it’s much better for me.

When you first got started, as far as your career is concerned, was the music called rock 'n' roll at that time or was it more of a country-western?

It was, uh, mine was more or less classed country-western I guess at the time. What I meant is, as I went along, well it got more, uh, more rock 'n' roll.

Well actually, you kind of developed ...

That’s what they tell me, I don’t know the difference.

Yeah, but I mean, as far as your starting you probably developed more or less with rock 'n' roll, with, what, the two and a half years you’ve been at it.

Yeah.

Any particular highlights that you’ve had so far that stand out above all the rest of your experiences? You want to pick one?

Well, I’ve had quite a few highlights (laughs), highlights, you know, I mean, uh, I guess you’re talking in terms of [when] exciting things happen to you.

Yeah, when you’re on the road or perhaps other experiences?

Yeah, I’ve had quite a bit. I must say, it’s been a heck of a lot of fun, and everything.

And we know, too, that you take more than periodic "tannings" from a variety of groups, and a variety of people and parents.

Yeah.

How does that affect you?

All of that is part of the business, there’s people that like you, there’s people that don’t like you regardless of what you do. I mean, I mean, uh, if everybody liked the same thing, they’d all be driving the same car and married to the same woman, you know? (laughs) Well, that wouldn’t work out. And there’ll be people that like you, and there was people that didn’t like Jesus Christ, you know? And they killed him, and he was the perfect man.

That’s a pretty good answer right there, as far as your, your comparison of the choice. Where do you go from here now?

I go to Detroit.

And you’re touring through this midwest, Detroit, Buffalo, and ...

I go to Detroit, Buffalo, Toronto, and Ottawa, Ottawa, uh, Ottawa (laughs) ...

That finish your tour then?

No, then I go, come back to Philadelphia for two days.

When’s your movie start?

First of May.

First of May, yes. Well we wish you an awful lot of success, it’s been a real pleasure having an opportunity to speak with you. And we hope to see you again sometime in the future.

Well, thank you very much.

Okay, thanks so much.

Bye-bye.

570330_w Bob Chase_WOWO Radio_02.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:57 am

My friends mom went to this show in 1957 (im sure its this show I think) she always said she saw him in Muncie Indiana in 57 but no date is listed there...

JEFF d
EP fan

Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:47 am

drjohncarpenter on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:03 am wrote:The interview was done backstage in Fort Wayne on 3-30-1957 (Sat) before the show Elvis gave that night.

Right, of course. I should have known better. Topic title now fixed. Thank you!

Re: Fort Wayne interview, March 30 1957

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:23 pm

Where can I download it? :smt007

Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:51 am

The fool on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:47 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:03 am wrote:The interview was done backstage in Fort Wayne on 3-30-1957 (Sat) before the show Elvis gave that night.

Right, of course. I should have known better. Topic title now fixed. Thank you!

My pleasure. Your topics are always a delight!

Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:48 am

The fool on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:43 am wrote:As we get ready to honor Bob at the Fort Wayne Komets’ Bob Chase Memorial Game on Thursday, November 23rd, Bob’s family came forward with the original Elvis Presley interview. It was first heard on WOWO on March 31, 1957. It was then aired again in 1988. To help promote the Bob Chase Memorial Game, Bob’s family allowed WOWO to air the interview for only the third time in 60 years. They have also given WOWO permission to share this piece of history with you.

SENSATIONAL - great work as always
Cheers
Piers

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Great to listen to! He said Ottawa correctly the first time

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:15 pm

That is wonderful to hear. Thanks so much for posting.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:36 pm

paulsweeney on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:17 am wrote:Great to listen to! He said Ottawa correctly the first time

Bob Chase should have told him so!

The interview is quite a cool listen, I hope everyone gets a chance to hear it. It's only aired a few times in the past 60 years!

Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:20 am

Thanks, The fool. :smt023

Someone uploaded it today.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:39 pm

OnStage55 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:20 pm wrote:Thanks, The fool. :smt023

Someone uploaded it today.

Yes. Too bad the account is some kind of opportinist.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVkNJOR-clsVwPgBJLjYLLQ/videos

Not a single picture of the 1957 interview is seen in the upload, and most are from 1956.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:31 am

It's nice to see this interview get exposed to a wider audience, thanks.

It did turn up a few years back on a vintage reel with what I was told was a second short interview from the same day and the `57 Sullivan show audio.

I purchased the reel after hearing a short sample and had it sent direct to Ernst who reimbursed me of the costs.

Hopefully the second interview will also see the light of day at some point.

Kevan Budd.
Last edited by kevanbudd on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:18 am

kevanbudd on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:31 pm wrote:It's nice to see this interview get exposed to a wider audience, thanks.

It did turn up a few years back on a vintage reel with what I was told was a second short interview from the same day and the `57 Sullivan show audio.

I purchased the reel after hearing a short sample and had it sent direct to Ernst.

Hopefully the second interview will also see the light of day at some point.

Kevan Budd.

Can you be kind enough to share with us which radio station did the second interview in Fort Wayne that day?