The Tour That Never Was

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

r&b

Re: The Tour That Never Was

Post by r&b »

I hate the sundial suit, but I think the 2 worst suits were the one in 1975, that Indian beaded aztec disaster of a suit and the one in 1976, with the puffy blue sleeves. Man I look at Elvis in 1969 and you just shake your head.

egilj
Registered for: 14 years

Post by egilj »

I have a few comments to some of the posts here:

Elvis only had one version of the Mexican Sundial Suit.

The suits Elvis probably would have worn during the tour was the Mexican and the new Blue Paisly. It was probably the latter he tested on August 14. It didn't fit, but perhaps it would have after loosing a few pounds, which he did the last days proir to the tour.

I think Elvis was at his heaviest during the May/June 1977 tour, and that was the only tour the Mexican was used exclusively. So I believe he used it so much because it was the only one that fitted at times.

Why Elvis didn't understand that he didn't look good in many of the suits the last couple of years? Mainly because his friends and fans told him he looked great in them.

Elvis2000
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

The final years (75-77) the best suits were the phoenix suits. Which I think Elvis could of fit into the suits in '77, it would of been a squeeze but he still could fit into it if he tried.

Jokerlola
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by Jokerlola »

TCBell on Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:59 am wrote:From Jerry Hopkins...

"He had two of them and alternated wearing them every night of the concert tour, sending his staff scrambling to clean them between shows. They were the only two of the more than fifty he'd had made that still fit."

It doesn't say where the information came from but I suspect it may have been another book, as a few are listed as having been consulted by Hopkins.
It's been confirmed through Gene Doucett, other sources and through photo evidence that there was only on Sundail suit. There are 2 embroidered flame suits which is interesting since he reportedly hated the suit. the 2 versions were seen hanging at Graceland after it was opened for tours. The difference between them is that they have different kick pleats.

Elvis2000
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

Jokerlola on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:20 pm wrote:
TCBell on Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:59 am wrote:From Jerry Hopkins...

"He had two of them and alternated wearing them every night of the concert tour, sending his staff scrambling to clean them between shows. They were the only two of the more than fifty he'd had made that still fit."

It doesn't say where the information came from but I suspect it may have been another book, as a few are listed as having been consulted by Hopkins.
It's been confirmed through Gene Doucett, other sources and through photo evidence that there was only on Sundail suit. There are 2 embroidered flame suits which is interesting since he reportedly hated the suit. the 2 versions were seen hanging at Graceland after it was opened for tours. The difference between them is that they have different kick pleats.
It's a shame Elvis hated the flame suit because that was cool looking compared to many of the suits made and worn around that time. He could of worn that suit through '77 but he wouldn't have because he hated it, again a shame.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

There's a picture of the Sundail at a dry cleaner in Sioux Falls.. must have worn the suit out for sure.
And I'm sure they got a warning to not mess up :facep:

Anyway, here's a nice one from Atlanta:

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

If the Sundial suit was only one, why Elvis didn't appear more in the King of Spades suit in Maech-June 1977?

Lawrence
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by Lawrence »

Elvis2000 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:52 pm wrote:The final years (75-77) the best suits were the phoenix suits. Which I think Elvis could of fit into the suits in '77, it would of been a squeeze but he still could fit into it if he tried.
Couldn't agree more. My favourite out of the four Phoenix jumpsuits has to be the Aqua Blue one.

June 20th, 1974 at Veterans Memorial in Des Moines.

egilj

Post by egilj »

jurasic1968 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:26 pm wrote:If the Sundial suit was only one, why Elvis didn't appear more in the King of Spades suit in Maech-June 1977?
The reason he didn't use it more often, was because it was too tight, something he commented on stage at least a couple of times during this period.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

It makes sense, because in June 1977 he used it only in Kansas City in the 18-th.

egilj

Post by egilj »

My guess is that he considered it a candidate for the Special. But it felt uncomfortable.

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

Robert on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:48 pm wrote:There's a picture of the Sundail at a dry cleaner in Sioux Falls.. must have worn the suit out for sure.
And I'm sure they got a warning to not mess up :facep:

Anyway, here's a nice one from Atlanta:

The woman far outshines the suit in terms of beauty.

I wonder in 1977 with the sundial.....where they always able to dry clean it between concerts?

Topic author
markp
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by markp »

Jukebox Jam on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:49 pm wrote:
markp on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:17 am wrote:Having been to the Elvis On Tour exhibition at the 02 London this weekend, one of the exhibits was a trunk which was packed for Elvis' tour which was to start on the 17th August 1977, anyone know what stage wear Elvis was to wear on this tour ?..Great exhibit, see it if you're in London.
Probably something not very flattering. Sorry for that answer, but it's the first thing that came to mind.
There was a new light-blue/silver paisley suit waiting for Elvis to get into with a larger-than-ever belt buckle. :oops:

This is it (if I'm not mistaken) -- http://www.tonkoorevaar.be/Always-Elvis-2/Concert-facts/Conserts-suits/historic-suit-77.htm
thanks for the phot's , as said not a very flattering suit.

Topic author
markp

Post by markp »

Lawrence on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 am wrote:
Elvis2000 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:52 pm wrote:The final years (75-77) the best suits were the phoenix suits. Which I think Elvis could of fit into the suits in '77, it would of been a squeeze but he still could fit into it if he tried.
Couldn't agree more. My favourite out of the four Phoenix jumpsuits has to be the Aqua Blue one.

June 20th, 1974 at Veterans Memorial in Des Moines.
couldn't agree more , the Phoenix Suits were awesome.

Topic author
markp

Post by markp »

Thanks everyone for your input, not had time during the week to read comments, but found them all fascinating , i think myself personally i'd have liked to have seen Elvis go back to the 2 piece suits of 1972..would have suited his age more.. ::rocks

Jokerlola
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by Jokerlola »

markp on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:26 am wrote:Thanks everyone for your input, not had time during the week to read comments, but found them all fascinating , i think myself personally i'd have liked to have seen Elvis go back to the 2 piece suits of 1972..would have suited his age more.. ::rocks
It was not so much about his age but about his shape. He only really pulled off the jumpsuits when he was in good shape. Once he started gaining weight, the jumpsuit period should have ended.

I also think the 72 style 2 piece suits would have been better and even better than the 75 jacket jumpsuits because the 72 jackets had a better cut for his weight.