Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Ann Margret "Appreciation" Demo (Different Version)

Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:50 pm

Beat That Bongo = Do the Vega demo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/60s-latin-popcorn-Beat-The-Bongo-78-rpm-Brill-Building-demo-acetate-LISTEN/172990750012?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49477%26meid%3Da9bb93f5f72042b09ad8ee1b354f07da%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D172990639035&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m2219

Because Of Love demo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unknown-soul-acetate-Elvis-Presley-Girls-Girls-Girls-Promo-Because-Of-Love/172995194551?hash=item2847512eb7:g:9qwAAOSwRbtaFHmS

Angel - demo:

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:45 pm

cool stuff!

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Another one - Beach Boy Blues demo:

Image Image

https://www.ebay.com/itm/78-rpm-Demo-acetate-Elvis-Presley-Blue-Hawaii-Beach-Boy-Blues/172997237027?hash=item2847705923:g:gCUAAOSwbF1aGJF9

3 bids already...

Merry77...
I've edited two demos to make a complete versions. Please take a look:
Beat The Bongo - Do The Vega http://www102.zippyshare.com/v/cfInoSjX/file.html
Because Of Love [what a beautiful version by itself!] http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/k2jljTFO/file.html

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:50 pm

The "Because of Love" demo sounds a bit like Ral Donner.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:26 pm

Yes, it does sound a bit like him.

Found another interesting song - could it be alternate version for Hard Luck scene in F&J?

Bad Luck Blues (Pomus-Shuman)

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:34 pm

Another demo on ebay!

Ballad Of The Bush Pilot - Don Robertson's & Hal Blair song for It Happened At The World's Fair - alternate title song!:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unknown-unreleased-Elvis-Presley-acetate-demo-Worlds-Fair-Hill-Range-LISTEN/182942014473?hash=item2a98319c09:g:NzgAAOSwnw9aIxij

The Ballad of Sue Lin - song for It Happened At The World's Fair (sounds like Don Robertson's tune!)

Also there's Boys, Boys, Boys - an Blackwell/Scott song (they've penned I'm A Roustabout)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/unreleased-Otis-Blackwell-popcorn-soul-demo-acetate-Brill-Building-HEAR-IT/182942149493?hash=item2a9833ab75:g:F1EAAOSwj99aIzAG

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:48 am

Stevenson on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:34 pm wrote:Another demo on ebay!

Ballad Of The Bush Pilot - Don Robertson's & Hal Blair song for It Happened At The World's Fair - alternate title song!:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unknown-unreleased-Elvis-Presley-acetate-demo-Worlds-Fair-Hill-Range-LISTEN/182942014473

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

The Ballad of Sue Lin - song for It Happened At The World's Fair (sounds like Don Robertson's tune!)

Also there's Boys, Boys, Boys - an Blackwell/Scott song (they've penned I'm A Roustabout)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/unreleased-Otis-Blackwell-popcorn-soul-demo-acetate-Brill-Building-HEAR-IT/182942149493

05.jpg

06.jpg

Otis Blackwell and Winfield Scott wrote more than the superb, original "Roustabout" title track:

Return to Sender
(Such an) Easy Question
One Broken Heart For Sale
Please Don't Drag That String Around

Elvis also recorded these Scott numbers:

Tweedlee Dee
Stranger In The Crowd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:06 am

drjohncarpenter on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:48 pm wrote:
Stevenson on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:34 pm wrote:Another demo on ebay!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unknown-unreleased-Elvis-Presley-acetate-demo-Worlds-Fair-Hill-Range-LISTEN/182942014473

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/unreleased-Otis-Blackwell-popcorn-soul-demo-acetate-Brill-Building-HEAR-IT/182942149493

05.jpg

06.jpg

Otis Blackwell and Winfield Scott wrote more than the superb, original "Roustabout" title track:

Return to Sender
(Such an) Easy Question

Tweedlee Dee
Stranger In The Crowd

Roustabout being, and I quote, "superb"...in what universe? Pick just about any song from 1956...or 1957, and people just might agree with you. This? Not even close...

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:28 am

Scarre on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:06 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:48 pm wrote:Otis Blackwell and Winfield Scott wrote more than the superb, original "Roustabout" title track:

Return to Sender
(Such an) Easy Question

Tweedlee Dee
Stranger In The Crowd

Roustabout being, and I quote, "superb"...in what universe? Pick just about any song from 1956...or 1957, and people just might agree with you. This? Not even close...

In the universe that everyone else lives in. Thanks for sharing your feelings, that's what really matters.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:12 am

drjohncarpenter on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:28 am wrote:
Scarre on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:06 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:48 pm wrote:Otis Blackwell and Winfield Scott wrote more than the superb, original "Roustabout" title track:

Return to Sender
(Such an) Easy Question

Tweedlee Dee
Stranger In The Crowd

In the universe that everyone else lives in. Thanks for sharing your feelings, that's what really matters.

Next time you include the word "superb" in a sentence, you might wanna keep "Mystery Train" in mind...or some other "superb" song. Who knows, people might actually notice what you say.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:36 am

Scarre on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:12 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:28 am wrote:In the universe that everyone else lives in. Thanks for sharing your feelings, that's what really matters.

Next time you include the word "superb" in a sentence, you might wanna keep "Mystery Train" in mind...or some other "superb" song. Who knows, people might actually notice what you say.

Again, thanks for sharing your feelings, that's what really matters.

Back on topic:

The "Boys, Boys, Boys" demo is really interesting, despite the "Elvis" voiced lead singer. Was it submitted for a film?

Of the songs by Otis Blackwell and Winfield Scott Elvis recorded, these are probably the best:

Return to Sender - #2 hit in 1962
(Such an) Easy Question - excellent pop album track 1962, single 1965
Roustabout - finest recording of 1964

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:07 am

drjohncarpenter on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:36 am wrote:[he "Boys, Boys, Boys" demo is really interesting, despite the "Elvis" voiced lead singer. Was it submitted for a film?

Of the songs by Otis Blackwell and Winfield Scott Elvis recorded, these are probably the best:

If you ask for my opinion, I'd say it was a contender for Poison Ivy League scene from "Roustabout" (that's why I mentioned Blackwell & Scott as autors of I'm A Roustabout). That being said, I prefer the chosen song over this demo.

The Ballad of Sue Lin might be an alternate for They Remind Me Too Much Of You. I remember reading that Don Robertson gave up writing songs, because it was wild competition between writers and it wasn't profitable to write a song, cut a demo (he specifically recorded them by himself and never used an Elvis soundalike), submit a song and drop out... Yet, as one examines the lyrics for Ballad Of The Bush Pilot, you can see how Hal Blair gave all he had to write a song for specific scene in a movie. Having in mind the movie scripts were pure fluff, it was challenging to write about nothing... Ben Weisman tried and succeed with great amount (57, I guess) of songs and he never gave up, being responsible for most of cuts for Elvis' last movies...

And the first song I posted, Ballad Of The Bush Pilot reminds me of Beyond The Bend (opening bars) and Flaming Star (characteistic chord changes).

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:06 pm

drjohncarpenter on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:36 am wrote:

I think you mean 'I'm A Roustabout' unless you've changed your mind (again)

For starters I'd place all of these above that track:-

Memphis Tennessee (remake)
It Hurts Me
Little Egypt
It's A Wonderful World
There'a A Brand New Day On The Horizon
Puppet On A String

Andy

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Although not a demo, British singer Bill Fury did his version of "Because Of Love" on which he imitates his hero, nice! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

P.S: P.J.Proby was a great Elvis demo singer too. Please listen to these youtube videos here below! 8)

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:42 pm

jetblack on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:06 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:36 am wrote:

I think you mean 'I'm A Roustabout' unless you've changed your mind (again)

I'm not taking sides, but this song was originally called "Roustabout" and its title was changed to "I'm a Roustabout" to avoid confusion, when it was released on Second To None.

Anyway, how do you like those demos? Can you see them being used in the movies?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:39 pm

Mike Windgren on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:43 pm wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Although not a demo, British singer Bill Fury did his version of "Because Of Love" on which he imitates his hero, nice! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.
P.S: P.J.Proby was a great Elvis demo singer too. Please listen to these youtube videos 8)

I can hear more similarities in Fury's version with original demo than with Presley master.
PJ Proby did nice demos for our man, which were copied almost note for note.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:09 pm

Stevenson on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:07 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:36 am wrote:[he "Boys, Boys, Boys" demo is really interesting, despite the "Elvis" voiced lead singer. Was it submitted for a film?

If you ask for my opinion, I'd say it was a contender for Poison Ivy League scene from "Roustabout" (that's why I mentioned Blackwell & Scott as autors of I'm A Roustabout). That being said, I prefer the chosen song over this demo.

You are probably right about that slot in the film.

But I would have chosen Blackwell and Scott's material over anything by Giant, Baum and Kaye.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:45 pm

Stevenson on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:26 pm wrote:Found another interesting song - could it be alternate version for Hard Luck scene in F&J?

Bad Luck Blues (Pomus-Shuman)

(...)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/unreleased-Otis-Blackwell-popcorn-soul-demo-acetate-Brill-Building-HEAR-IT/182942149493?hash=item2a9833ab75:g:F1EAAOSwj99aIzAG

These two might have turned out pretty nice. Pity they weren't recorded by Elvis. The Pomus-Shuman song sounds like a tribute to the great blues singer Charles Brown (he did the original of "Merry Christmas Baby" in 1947).

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:52 pm

the acetates went for nice prices. The later ones higher then the earlier ones.