Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis in LA

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:36 am

Hi All,

Bit of a shout in the dark here but looking for tips. I am traveling to LA in 2 weeks primarily to see Guns n Roses. I am going to be there for 6 days. Any tips from our friends across the pond on Elvis sites to see? I know LA is pretty widespread so would like to cram in as much as I can.

Cheers

Re: Elvis in LA

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:50 am

I found out a few years ago that fans go to Elvis' former Los Angeles home and they take pictures. I found that kinda odd because it's not his home anymore and the house is owned by different people. But fans will take pictures and walk on the property. So I guess you can do that.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:58 am

Delboy on Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:36 pm wrote:Hi All,

Bit of a shout in the dark here but looking for tips. I am traveling to LA in 2 weeks primarily to see Guns n Roses. I am going to be there for 6 days. Any tips from our friends across the pond on Elvis sites to see? I know LA is pretty widespread so would like to cram in as much as I can.

Cheers

It's a great city for all kinds of Hollywood history, but try to stay off the freeways. They are almost always packed.

This site covers some Elvis-related sites you may want to see:

Discover Elvis Presley's Los Angeles
https://www.discoverlosangeles.com/blog/discover-elvis-presleys-los-angeles

It even mentions De Neve Square Park, where he played touch football in the early sixties!

I made a topic on it a while back:

Elvis --> Saturday In The Park !
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75496

Take pictures of what you manage to cover, and share 'em on a topic when you are back home, please!

Have a great time.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 am

I'm originally from the UK but have lived in Northern California for over 30 years now. When visiting LA, I recommend driving up Perugia Way and imagining 1965 when The Beatles drove up the road to meet with Elvis. Music history indeed. It must've been quite a moment for all five of them, for a variety of reasons. Also, there is a Karate studio in downtown Santa Monica, I always wander past it imagining Elvis pulling up in his Stutz and strolling in for a workout. I don't know if it's the one he attended there but it always works a treat on the imagination.

Enjoy LA, it's a fun place to visit and experience.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:16 pm

I was in LA recently and visited some Elvis sites. Firstly there is his star on the Hollywood walk of fame at the corner of Hollywood Blvd and La Brea ave.

These next two are the Knickerbocker hotel where he stayed in the 50s while making movies. It's now a retirement home so there is no public access but the chandelier is apparently original.

This is the entrance to the house at 1174 Hillcrest Road. It's private property now so all you can do is snap a quick picture of the gates.

And this is the entrance to his house at 144 Monovale drive. Also private and with a very loud dog as well. :lol:

And this is DeNeve square where as DJC said, Elvis used to play football. It's actually very small.

These next are the Self Realisation Fellowship shrine at the western end of Sunset Blvd which was a very special and significant place for Elvis. It is open to the public and it's very easy to see why Elvis loved it so much.

And lastly a sign on the site of the former Radio Recorders Studios in Hollywood where Elvis recorded many times in the 60s.

LA is a fabulous city and I envy you your trip. You will certainly never be bored there. :D

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:50 am

First of all I would like to thank all for their tips and contributions. I had a great time in LA. Unfortunately I can’t post any photos as I am struggling with the formatting. However, here are some highlights:

Elvis related:
Elvis’ star on Hollywood Boulevard. Good to see it in such a prominent position.
6363 Sunset Boulevard … at least I hope it was. :wink:
Santa Monica High Court. Most people headed for the beach but being an Elvis fan.
Knickerbocker Hotel.
Beverley Wilshire hotel.
The theatre where Elvis saw the premiere of ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show’ in 1974. Personally I believe that’s bollocks, :wink:

Non Elvis related highlights:

On one of the tours passing Hollywood Bowl the guide was giving a story how the authorities were trying different methods to keep the girls away from the Beatles including creating a pond between the stage and the band. One of the ladies at the tour was at that show and ran the pond anyway.

I did a tour of the Dolby Theatre and by some fluke was the only one on it. A VIP tour that I won’t forget.

I need to get more technology minded. :wink:

::rocks

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:43 am

Delboy on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:50 pm wrote:First of all I would like to thank all for their tips and contributions. I had a great time in LA. Unfortunately I can’t post any photos as I am struggling with the formatting. However, here are some highlights:

Elvis related:
Elvis’ star on Hollywood Boulevard. Good to see it in such a prominent position.
6363 Sunset Boulevard … at least I hope it was. :wink:
Santa Monica High Court. Most people headed for the beach but being an Elvis fan.
Knickerbocker Hotel.
Beverley Wilshire hotel.
The theatre where Elvis saw the premiere of ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show’ in 1974. Personally I believe that’s bollocks, :wink:

Non Elvis related highlights:

On one of the tours passing Hollywood Bowl the guide was giving a story how the authorities were trying different methods to keep the girls away from the Beatles including creating a pond between the stage and the band. One of the ladies at the tour was at that show and ran the pond anyway.

I did a tour of the Dolby Theatre and by some fluke was the only one on it. A VIP tour that I won’t forget.

I need to get more technology minded. :wink:

::rocks

Thanks for the update. I wish you had made it to the touch football park, though.

And, yes, that story is indeed bullocks.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:41 pm

You certainly need a car if you want to visit many Elvis related places. One thing I did notice though … I’ve never seen so many homeless people as I did in LA. :cry:

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:26 am

Just catching up on the wildfires in the greater Los Angeles area. I hope all affected are safe.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:12 am

I love visiting the 1174 Hillcrest Drive home. Last year I was allowed through the gates to the front door by the Gardner. I have been visiting that home for many years and finally was invited through the gates.