Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New Ragdoll CD: Please,Stay In Your Seats - May 28, 1977

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:28 pm

of course music is a matter of taste. My wife loves Leonard Cohen but his music puts me to sleep. It might be good, but i simply don't like it. On the other hand, i enjoy the no-frills pleasures of Status Quo, Helen hates them.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:49 pm

Some like oldies shows..some not...it's not rocket science..I do respect all tastes.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:10 pm

drjohncarpenter on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 pm wrote:
Ciscoking on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:30 pm wrote:Music is a matter of taste and you wont change that fact. The newspaper reporter obviously enjoyed the show.

Yes, your decision to post that puff-piece tells us a lot. But not about the show.

It's important to understand that some things are a matter of opinion; others are not. Education helps you distinguish between the two. It's not complicated.

drjohncarpenter on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:44 am wrote:
This forum does not have a limit on opinion posting. Hope you can handle that.
::rocks

I agree with you Doc
Cheers
Piers

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:42 pm

drjohncarpenter on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:05 am wrote:
Ciscoking on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:30 pm wrote:Music is a matter of taste and you wont change that fact. The newspaper reporter obviously enjoyed the show.

Yes, your decision to post that puff-piece tells us a lot. But not about the show.

It's important to understand that some things are a matter of opinion; others are not. Education helps you distinguish between the two. It's not complicated.

This combined with the statement that "msuic (sic) is not a matter of taste (...)" reveals not only (an aim for) elitism, but first and foremost totalitarianism. Quite scary, I might add.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:47 pm

Music is an art..and art is a matter of taste..everyone who fail to comprehend that must have lost something very important on their way. Thats a bad sign.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Sure music is an art, but those sloppy, slurrish and sometimes even amateurish sung concerts can't hardly be called 'art'. I don't want to put Elvis down - who am I - but the truth has to be told. There is no single concert in 1977 that matched even the quality of those from 1975 let alone the years before and that says something!

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Some like it....some dont....its all a matter of taste. You cant change this.

I think my little grandkid paints better pictures than Van Goch..I love those
pictures by my little kid.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:00 am

Ciscoking on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:24 pm wrote:Some like it....some dont....its all a matter of taste. You cant change this.

Like whatever you like, but there's a difference between taste and an assessment on professionalism. From that point of view Elvis had lost his track in September 1974. After that eye-opening Vegas season there were only a few heights up to 1977 from an artistic point of view. It's more than sad that it went downhill that fast.

Sure you mean van Gogh. :wink:

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:15 am

Joern on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:00 pm wrote:
Ciscoking on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:24 pm wrote:Some like it....some dont....its all a matter of taste. You cant change this.

Like whatever you like, but there's a difference between taste and an assessment on professionalism. From that point of view Elvis had lost his track in September 1974. After that eye-opening Vegas season there were only a few heights up to 1977 from an artistic point of view. It's more than sad that it went downhill that fast.

Sure you mean van Gogh. :wink:

Bingo.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:34 am

It seems to be the same old story with certain Elvis fans. Regardless of whether they like a show, they fail to acknowledge that Elvis' stage shows by this time were really poor - he’d been almost running on autopilot for a while too with virtually no variation in the song listings or even arrangements. People could almost place bets on what would be offered at a show, but the odds would be poor.
Over the years, it’s been mentioned that Elvis was surrounded by "yes" people who never gave him the correct feedback ("good show, good show" etc etc). This can be mirrored with many fans too - they’ll lap up and buy anything if it had Elvis' name attached to it (and still do) regardless of quality and still do not accept the failings in certain parts of his career (just read some of the praise or merits given to some of the mid 60s soundtrack stuff - it did pretty well in the charts so it must be a great record, conveniently forgetting that the majority of sales were generated by the hardcore fans).
Had these fans had the courage to stay away from these poor concerts, it might have sent a proper message through to Elvis and management that something needed to change and quickly. The drop in record sales and cinema attendances in the 60s sent out the correct message which was actioned upon, with superb results, and a similar one around 1974/5 might just have given Elvis the wake up call he needed and August 16th 1977 may have simply come and gone like a normal day.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:29 pm

I mostly stay away from 1977, this one included. The problem is that Elvis had so much charisma and such a beautiful voice that even at his worst he made an impact. So a journalist could easily be carried away by that and write a positive review, and why not? The discussion whether what is art and what is not is an eternal one. Maybe our Dutch painter Piet Mondrian said it best: art must be forgotten and beauty must be realized.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Wiebe on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:29 am wrote:Maybe our Dutch painter Piet Mondrian said it best: art must be forgotten and beauty must be realized.

and beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:34 pm

For me this show is a must have for several reasons. A. The sound quality is pretty doggone good for a AR recording in the Spectrum from over 40 years ago. B. I'm a huge Springsteen fan as well and knowing this was the show that he and Jon Landau attended makes it a 'historical' show of sorts. C. I've amassed a pretty huge collection of ARs, and I don't have this show.

All this adds up to (drum roll.......): Pre-ordered!

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:17 pm

ORION on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:34 pm wrote:For me this show is a must have for several reasons. A. The sound quality is pretty doggone good for a AR recording in the Spectrum from over 40 years ago. B. I'm a huge Springsteen fan as well and knowing this was the show that he and Jon Landau attended makes it a 'historical' show of sorts. C. I've amassed a pretty huge collection of ARs, and I don't have this show.

Every show had its merits..see.?.. :wink:

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Every show had its merits..see.?.. :wink:

:shock: OMG - you really went there Cisco. You, my friend, have marbles the size of grapefruits!!

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Balls :smt003

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:44 pm

ORION on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:34 am wrote:For me this show is a must have for several reasons. A. The sound quality is pretty doggone good for a AR recording in the Spectrum from over 40 years ago. B. I'm a huge Springsteen fan as well and knowing this was the show that he and Jon Landau attended makes it a 'historical' show of sorts. C. I've amassed a pretty huge collection of ARs, and I don't have this show.

FYI, Bruce saw the show with Steve Van Zandt. Both left feeling stunned, and not in a good way.

I understand the completist desire to own this concert, but brace yourself. Revisit Greybeard's first-person memory of the show on page 1 before you listen. It says it all.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:03 pm

Doc - you are right. It ws was Stevie - the MSG show was the one that he and Landau attended. As far as the show, I'm not going into it blindly. I know we're talking the later stages of '77 - and I know what to expect as I saw Elvis' Cincy show the following month. For me, this show is another collectible piece of the Elvis live puzzle accentuated by the fact of Bruce witnessing this performance and its impact on him.

Seriously, could this show be any worse than Baltimore in '77 or Houston in '76 or even some of the later August / Sept. '74 shows all of which I own as well.
Last edited by ORION on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:08 pm

ORION on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:46 pm wrote:Every show had its merits..see.?.. :wink:

:shock: OMG - you really went there Cisco. You, my friend, have marbles the size of grapefruits!!

Sorry when I used the wrong terms..my english sometimes isnt the best..again sorry.,,mate..

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:22 pm

Sorry when I used the wrong terms..my english sometimes isnt the best..again sorry.,,mate..

No, No - you were spot on, Cisco. It was my ill-fated attempt at humour that did not translate well. :oops:

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:27 pm

ORION on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 am wrote:Doc - you are right. It ws was Stevie - the MSG show was the one that he and Landau attended. As far as the show, I'm not going into it blindly. I know we're talking the later stages of '77 - and I know what to expect as I saw Elvis' Cincy show the following month. For me, this show is another collectible piece of the Elvis live puzzle accentuated by the fact of Bruce witnessing this performance and its impact on him.

Seriously, could this show be any worse than Baltimore in '77 or Houston in '76 or even some of the later August / Sept. '74 shows all of which I own as well.

I wish you luck making the call on where this 1977 sits on the "awful concert" landscape.

Note that when Bruce saw Elvis at MSG in June 1972, he went as the guest of his then-manager Mike Appel. He did not meet Jon Landau until May 1974.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Damn - Doc - you got me again. I need to add you to my phone a friend list when I'm on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. You're right the meeting up with Landau was after the the infamous 'rock 'n' roll future' quote by Landau in '74. It does my heart good to know that you appreciate and are are knowledgable about Bruce. I only managed to see Elvis twice, but have seen Bruce ten times. The King and the Boss - no doubt!

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:58 pm

ORION on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:57 am wrote:Damn - Doc - you got me again. I need to add you to my phone a friend list when I'm on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. You're right the meeting up with Landau was after the the infamous 'rock 'n' roll future' quote by Landau in '74. It does my heart good to know that you appreciate and are are knowledgable about Bruce. I only managed to see Elvis twice, but have seen Bruce ten times. The King and the Boss - no doubt!

Bruce is the best. We are lucky to have him going so strong at 68 years of age.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:40 am

Has this one landed in anyone's mailbox yet ?

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:16 pm

ORION on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:40 am wrote:Has this one landed in anyone's mailbox yet ?

no but it will come soon... one grade below SA releases but still from new tapes an extremely worthwhile upgrade release way , way better than the memory cd. :wink: