Elvis' performances of "the oldies" in the 70's

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Juan Luis

Re: Elvis' performances of "the oldies" in the 70's

Post by Juan Luis »

It is certainly not "significantly more entertaining and compelling" than anything. I's bad. Not entertaining. Not compelling.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

midnightx on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:43 am wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:05 pm wrote: How anyone can find Elvis wrecking a classic single in one of the worst concerts of his life "entertaining and compelling" is absolutely mindboggling. That you then spend half your time on here telling us how poor 1975 shows are is even more stunning.
Two different things entirely. There is practically nothing redeeming about the vast majority of Elvis' 1976-era concerts. At least the off-the-cuff, impromptu attempt at Return To Sender is something different, an attempt to perform a classic from his own catalogue. The standard 1976-era concert bloat is usually nauseating to sit through, and while this half-hearted attempt is terrible by normal standards, it is an entertaining moment from what amounts to a mostly atrocious year of live work, and in that sense, it is compelling. But you go ahead and enjoy the dive-bombs, the tired regurgitations of "You Gave Me A Mountain" and "Polk Salad Annie," the appalling and boring "band intros," the cringe-worthy "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)," the dreadful renditions of "Hound Dog" and "Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel," and the awful show-closing "Can't Help Falling In Love."

1975 concerts are their own topic of conversation. 1975 represents the last year Elvis was able to mildly hold together his concerts, sometimes even with reasonable results. And as mediocre as many of the concerts were, they were a significant upgrade in comparison to what would transpire the following year. By Elvis' standards, the 1975 concerts were inferior to everything that came before, and mediocre at best -- the set-list was stale and filled with concert bloat, and his vocals were showing alarming signs of deterioration. Cisco thinks they are Elvis' greatest achievements and because you have decided to align yourself with his cause and come to his defense at all costs, one can assume you are also a fan.
Now you are in fantasy land - I have never said I enjoy the concerts from 1976 so why the comments of your first paragraph? Very strange. Meanwhile Cisco has never said 1975 shows are Elvis's finest hour, not do I jump to his defence at all cost, so yet more fiction. But I have pointed this out before. Sadly you don't seem to have a great level of comprehension these days.

When you can come up with a coherent reply that doesn't have more lies and untrue accusations than a Donald Trump speech then we can continue the conversation. But if course all of that was just so you could deflect from your extremely weird description of the 76 return to sender as entertaining and compelling - a comment I doubt you will be allowed to forget in a hurry.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

My response clearly explained my position on the matter. It is no surprise that you ignored the substance and elaboration presented in my post, instead you went on the attack and even went way off course by bringing in Donald Trump to the conversion. Pure madness.

Ciscoking
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Ciscoking »

midnightx on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:43 am wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:05 pm wrote: How anyone can find Elvis wrecking a classic single in one of the worst concerts of his life "entertaining and compelling" is absolutely mindboggling. That you then spend half your time on here telling us how poor 1975 shows are is even more stunning.
Two different things entirely. There is practically nothing redeeming about the vast majority of Elvis' 1976-era concerts. At least the off-the-cuff, impromptu attempt at Return To Sender is something different, an attempt to perform a classic from his own catalogue. The standard 1976-era concert bloat is usually nauseating to sit through, and while this half-hearted attempt is terrible by normal standards, it is an entertaining moment from what amounts to a mostly atrocious year of live work, and in that sense, it is compelling. But you go ahead and enjoy the dive-bombs, the tired regurgitations of "You Gave Me A Mountain" and "Polk Salad Annie," the appalling and boring "band intros," the cringe-worthy "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)," the dreadful renditions of "Hound Dog" and "Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel," and the awful show-closing "Can't Help Falling In Love."

1975 concerts are their own topic of conversation. 1975 represents the last year Elvis was able to mildly hold together his concerts, sometimes even with reasonable results. And as mediocre as many of the concerts were, they were a significant upgrade in comparison to what would transpire the following year. By Elvis' standards, the 1975 concerts were inferior to everything that came before, and mediocre at best -- the set-list was stale and filled with concert bloat, and his vocals were showing alarming signs of deterioration. Cisco thinks they are Elvis' greatest achievements and because you have decided to align yourself with his cause and come to his defense at all costs, one can assume you are also a fan.
Again utter nonsense..especially the last part as already pointed out... :roll:

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Fabbe

Re: Elvis' performances of

Post by Fabbe »

elvis-fan on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:09 pm wrote:
Fabbe on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:03 pm wrote:Of course I understand many Elvis fans don’t like the direction Elvis took.
It's Elvis' lack of direction with his career after January 1973 that frustrates me...
Whatever you want to call that chapter in Elvis musical life ("A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"), that songs selection (what now my love, You game me a mountain, trilogy, I’m so lonesome I could cry, etc) the band ( the unique Elvis sound dive bombs and choirs included) and his singing style, is really what connects me to Elvis most. That is until he was in a decent health of course.

My Elvis is the one that has the honestly to do what he likes regardless of what goes on around him musically or what mainstream thinks he should do; the one that decided - with courage - to open a new chapter musically instead of using the typical «hits» formula. My Elvis is the one that broke with the conventionalities of a professional live show; is the one that created a unique sound with choir, diving bombs and orchestra.

Of course, I also like also the typical Elvis that everyones praises (50s, 68 etc) but that’s not the one that is closest to me.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Fabbe on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:12 pm wrote:Of course, I also like also the typical Elvis that everyones praises (50s, 68 etc) but that’s not the one that is closest to me.
Two thoughts to consider:

- not "everyone" praises the '50s or the '68 comeback, just look at this message board
- the '50s and '68 comeback Elvis was far from "typical"

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:53 am wrote:
Fabbe on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:12 pm wrote:Of course, I also like also the typical Elvis that everyones praises (50s, 68 etc) but that’s not the one that is closest to me.

- not "everyone" praises the '50s or the '68 comeback, just look at this message board
I'm going to buy you a dictionary for Christmas. Where should I send it?
Typical:
representative as a symbol; symbolic.

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

poormadpeter2 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:16 pm wrote:

Typical:
Do you not understand the question?

I thought it was an interesting point

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Read his post again. Maybe you'll understand more clearly second time around. If not, try a third time.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

AndrewJ on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:27 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:16 pm wrote:

Typical:
Do you not understand the question?

I thought it was an interesting point
Well, firstly, there is no question. And, secondly, the Doc us purposefully misunderstanding the term "typical" in an attempt to be clever. We all know exactly the meaning of the word that Fabbe was using.

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by jeanno »

Fabbe on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:12 am wrote:
Fabbe on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:03 pm wrote:Of course I understand many Elvis fans don’t like the direction Elvis took.
It's Elvis' lack of direction with his career after January 1973 that frustrates me...
Whatever you want to call that chapter in Elvis musical life ("A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"), that songs selection (what now my love, You game me a mountain, trilogy, I’m so lonesome I could cry, etc) the band ( the unique Elvis sound dive bombs and choirs included) and his singing style, is really what connects me to Elvis most. That is until he was in a decent health of course.

My Elvis is the one that has the honestly to do what he likes regardless of what goes on around him musically or what mainstream thinks he should do; the one that decided - with courage - to open a new chapter musically instead of using the typical «hits» formula. My Elvis is the one that broke with the conventionalities of a professional live show; is the one that created a unique sound with choir, diving bombs and orchestra.

Of course, I also like also the typical Elvis that everyones praises (50s, 68 etc) but that’s not the one that is closest to me.
My Elvis was the one who gave it all: at Sun first, during those 50's recording sessions, on TV at the Dorsey Bros Shows, during the filming of "King Creole", in Nashville on his first post army sessions, in Hawaii in 1961, during the taping of the Comeback Special or live in person in Vegas in 1969. My Elvis is the one full of life, intense, enjoying every bit of music proudly put on tape, with his own approval. I tend to avoid "autopilote-Elvis".

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

jeanno on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:42 pm wrote:
Fabbe on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:12 am wrote:

My Elvis was the one who gave it all: at Sun first, during those 50's recording sessions, on TV at the Dorsey Bros Shows, during the filming of "King Creole", in Nashville on his first post army sessions, in Hawaii in 1961, during the taping of the Comeback Special or live in person in Vegas in 1969. My Elvis is the one full of life, intense, enjoying every bit of music proudly put on tape, with his own approval. I tend to avoid "autopilote-Elvis".
Escoba nueva barre bien. "A new broom sweeps clean, but an old one knows the corners"-Proverb.

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

There's an Elvis For Everyone then. Maybe that explains why his career was so huge.
Take what you like and leave the rest.

jeanno

Post by jeanno »

Hard Rocker on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:17 pm wrote:There's an Elvis For Everyone then. Maybe that explains why his career was so huge.
I have to agree.

BTW, I was trying to gather all my favorite Elvis tracks in 3 CDs and it's totally impossible. Right now, I'm on a 6 CDs version and it's still complicated.
(If I'm lucky, 7 CDs will be the right number...)

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Eggrert »

Hard Rocker on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:17 pm wrote:There's an Elvis For Everyone then. Maybe that explains why his career was so huge.
Well said!

jeanno on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:50 pm wrote:I was trying to gather all my favorite Elvis tracks in 3 CDs and it's totally impossible. Right now, I'm on a 6 CDs version and it's still complicated.
I have a folder on my computer that purports to collect all of my favourite Elvis tracks into one place. I just cued it up, and keeping in mind that it includes multiple mixes/takes/performances, it clocks in at...35 hours. There's no way I'd be able to get it down to under 10 hours! :D

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

jeanno on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:50 pm wrote:
Hard Rocker on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:17 pm wrote:There's an Elvis For Everyone then. Maybe that explains why his career was so huge.
I have to agree.

BTW, I was trying to gather all my favorite Elvis tracks in 3 CDs and it's totally impossible. Right now, I'm on a 6 CDs version and it's still complicated.
What makes Elvis The King for me is that although not everything he recorded was great, he had more great songs and performances than anyone else. He left us a phenomenal legacy and we are very lucky to have it.

jeanno

Post by jeanno »

Hard Rocker on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:34 am wrote:
jeanno on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:50 pm wrote:
I have to agree.

What makes Elvis The King for me is that although not everything he recorded was great, he had more great songs and performances than anyone else. He left us a phenomenal legacy and we are very lucky to have it.
Yep, the good outweight the bad for sure.

Ryan73
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by Ryan73 »

I guess I just don't see the 68 special as an oldies show. I point to that because its basically a year of separation from the 69 shows. What I see in that special is Elvis singing his timeless classics. I'm not sure how much his further choices in material made him current vs. just getting further away from what made him a cultural icon (in much the same way the majority of his movies did to his career.)

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

Ryan73 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:51 pm wrote:I guess I just don't see the 68 special as an oldies show. I point to that because its basically a year of separation from the 69 shows. What I see in that special is Elvis singing his timeless classics. I'm not sure how much his further choices in material made him current vs. just getting further away from what made him a cultural icon (in much the same way the majority of his movies did to his career.)
In Elvis case timeless classics = oldies show (I like to focus on the substance of things and stop using labels, "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"). There is nothing wrong with oldies show -- I am proud he did an oldies show. I love the 68 special - its Elvis doing his thing, the music that made him an icon, that changed the world -- what better way to send the message "it's me, I am back?" It is like showing your ID card. That is why it was later branded a comeback (something that left and now has returned). I would even say that he even tried to make it contemporary with new arrangements and his voice was completely different too.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Ryan73 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:51 am wrote:I guess I just don't see the 68 special as an oldies show. I point to that because its basically a year of separation from the 69 shows. What I see in that special is Elvis singing his timeless classics. I'm not sure how much his further choices in material made him current vs. just getting further away from what made him a cultural icon (in much the same way the majority of his movies did to his career.)
It seems some members here have an obsession with, and a misunderstanding of, the term "oldies." Some clearly use it as a pejorative again and again, and this is after being politely asked to stop.

The 1968 special was Presley's first appearance on TV in eight and a half years, only his second in nearly twelve years. That is a very long time. Director Steve Binder worked with his star to both reestablish him in the public mind as the guy who blew apart the 1950s, and as a still very captivating and creative artist.

He succeeded beyond his wildest dreams, as Elvis tackled songs old and new with a previously-unheard-of gusto. He delivered five #1 hits in the one hour program, along with a gospel medley and a selection of r&b and rockers, all done in magnificent style. More than that, as someone else wrote, you never heard these songs before, because Presley had never sung them like that.

Case-in-point is "One Night." It stands apart from the late 1958 single, as Elvis delivers a performance that ramps the passion up like never before. Two new songs in the program, "Memories" and "If I Can Dream," became hit singles, again reminding the public he was not an "oldies" act.

As the new year dawned, millions realized that Elvis was back.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:15 pm wrote:
Ryan73 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:51 am wrote:I guess I just don't see the 68 special as an oldies show. I point to that because its basically a year of separation from the 69 shows. What I see in that special is Elvis singing his timeless classics. I'm not sure how much his further choices in material made him current vs. just getting further away from what made him a cultural icon (in much the same way the majority of his movies did to his career.)
It seems some members here have an obsession with, and a misunderstanding of, the term "oldies." Some clearly use it as a pejorative again and again, and this is after being politely asked to stop.

The 1968 special was Presley's first appearance on TV in eight and a half years, only his second in nearly twelve years. That is a very long time. Director Steve Binder worked with his star to both reestablish him in the public mind as the guy who blew apart the 1950s, and as a still very captivating and creative artist.

He succeeded beyond his wildest dreams, as Elvis tackled songs old and new with a previously-unheard-of gusto. He delivered five #1 hits in the one hour program, along with a gospel medley and a selection of r&b and rockers, all done in magnificent style. More than that, as someone else wrote, you never heard these songs before, because Presley had never sung them like that.

Case-in-point is "One Night." It stands apart from the late 1958 single, as Elvis delivers a performance that ramps the passion up like never before. Two new songs in the program, "Memories" and "If I Can Dream," became hit singles, again reminding the public he was not an "oldies" act.

As the new year dawned, millions realized that Elvis was back.
Unless you read the reviews, and then you realise it wasn't at all as cut and dried as you suggest.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

And an oldie is an oldie..thats a fact. No matter if you perform it 10 years or 100 years later...and no matter if whether its a good performance or a cover.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Jokerlola
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by Jokerlola »

Oldies but goodies!

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Jokerlola on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:23 am wrote:Oldies but goodies!
Exactly

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Ciscoking on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:12 pm wrote:And an oldie is an oldie..thats a fact. No matter if you perform it 10 years or 100 years later...and no matter if whether its a good performance or a cover.
You are either grossly misinformed or continue to make that erroneous assertion as a wind-up. One suspects it is the latter.