3 New FTD Releases - October FTD's (Updated 10-4-2017)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Re: 3 New FTD Releases - October FTD's (Updated 10-4-2017)

Post by Eggrert »

poormadpeter2 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:13 pm wrote:Let's put the Last Movies disc in context.

The Fame and Fortune FTD arrived in the post this morning. THAT was a fantastic release. If we are also calling the latest batch of FTDs fantastic, then the bar has dropped significantly over the last fifteen years.
I wish those early FTDs had been mastered better, because content-wise, they're ace (So High, Out In Hollywood, etc.). I definitely return to them more often than most other FTDs.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Mike Windgren on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:23 am wrote:Agree, very nice release but it could have been a better sounding cd if it was remastered by the actual FTD engineers music team. Lene Reidel was not good!
Do you have a background in audio engineering and digital mastering?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
drjohncarpenter on November 12th, 2017, 1:51 am wrote:
Mike Windgren on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:23 am wrote:Agree, very nice release but it could have been a better sounding cd if it was remastered by the actual FTD engineers music team. Lene Reidel was not good!
No but I have ears and you? :roll:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

drjohncarpenter

Mike Windgren on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:10 pm wrote:
No
As I thought.

So maybe you should curtail your rude comments about those who know more than you.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

drjohncarpenter on November 12th, 2017, 10:46 am wrote:
No

So maybe you should curtail your rude comments about those who know more than you[/color].[/color][/i]
What about your PHD degree on Elvis? :facep:. Food for thought! :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by When In Rome »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
No
As I thought.

So maybe you should curtail your rude comments about those who know more than you.
They may know more than we do but as the end product user, who listens to these things repeatedly, experience has enabled us to tell the difference between a good remaster and a poor remaster (think earlier FTD's as remastered by Lene Riedel vs. the more recent FTD's mastered by Sebastian Jeansson) any pair of discerning ears could tell the difference. We all know that really; any comments to the contrary really just come across as disingenuous...

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

drjohncarpenter

When In Rome on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:54 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:As I thought.

They may know more than we do but as the end product user, who listens to these things repeatedly, experience has enabled us to tell the difference between a good remaster and a poor remaster (think earlier FTD's as remastered by Lene Riedel vs. the more recent FTD's mastered by Sebastian Jeansson) any pair of discerning ears could tell the difference. We all know that really; any comments to the contrary really just come across as disingenuous...
When I see someone post in a condescending manner about someone else's work, that is unacceptable behavior. This member makes comments like this all the time, just look at the examples on this page.

One may express their layman's view without being a jerk, and that is my point. That said, I doubt it will happen with the very rude person I am speaking about.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

drjohncarpenter on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:35 pm wrote:

When I see someone post in a condescending manner about someone else's work, that is unacceptable behavior. This member makes comments like this all the time, just look at the examples on this page.

One may express their layman's view without being a jerk, and that is my point. That said, I doubt it will happen with the very rude person I am speaking about.
:D :D Now that is funny coming from the Doc!

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:35 pm wrote:

"I'm looking at the man in the mirror..."

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Doc it´s now your turn to answer the same question you did to me yesterday, don´t be rude..... :wink:.
drjohncarpenter on November 9th, 2017, 2:35 am wrote:The mastering is superb on this release, from start-to-finish, a tip of the cap to Sebastian Jeansson.
Do you have a background in audio engineering and digital mastering?. Food for thought! :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

drjohncarpenter

Mike Windgren on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:17 pm wrote:Doc it´s now your turn to answer the same question you did to me yesterday, don´t be rude..... :wink:.
drjohncarpenter on November 9th, 2017, 2:35 am wrote:The mastering is superb on this release, from start-to-finish, a tip of the cap to Sebastian Jeansson.
Do you have a background in audio engineering and digital mastering?.
That is in reference to Elvis: The Last Movies, for those wondering.

Yes I do. And notice my comment is respectful. You should try being like that, you're an adult.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

drjohncarpenter on November 13th, 2017, 1:21 am wrote:
Mike Windgren on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:17 pm wrote:Doc it´s now your turn to answer the same question you did to me yesterday, don´t be rude..... :wink:.
Do you have a background in audio engineering and digital mastering?.
That is in reference to Elvis: The Last Movies, for those wondering.

Yes I do. And notice my comment is respectful. You should try being like that, you're an adult.
Respectful because it´s your buddy? :roll:. You´re always championing his work but not what others did on RCA/BMG/SONY/FTD.... :facep:. Bye for now :smt006.

P.S. Felton Jarvis, Joan Deary, Kevan Budd ....comes to mind!.
A little known fact is Joan herself recorded the Aloha Special in Hawaii. She was given a room the size of a closet and boxes to sit on. From her 'closet' she couldn't see Elvis, but could only hear him. She sat on a box with the RCA recording equipment also on boxes. and recorded the now famous 'Aloha from Hawaii'.
Source: https://www.elvis.com.au/presley/joan-deary-and-elvis-presley.shtml

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Mike Windgren on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:17 am wrote:
Do you have a background in audio engineering and digital mastering?. Food for thought! :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.
Highly, highly unlikely.

drjohncarpenter

Mike Windgren on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:37 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on November 13th, 2017, 1:21 am wrote:That is in reference to Elvis: The Last Movies, for those wondering.

Respectful because it´s your buddy?. You´re always championing his work but not what others did on RCA/BMG/SONY/FTD....

What is wrong with you?

You are incapable of behaving like an adult. Carry on, and don't forget those "Smilies."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

drjohncarpenter on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:51 am wrote:
Coming from you - that is hilarious!!!
We know that you do not have a background in audio engineering
- but I do!!! :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Remember this?
PiersEIN on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:16 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:"Good Source" = Studio tape
"Not Good Source" = Acetate
My reply was not to you. There is no "Good Source" = Studio tape for this extremely valuable recording.
And a well-mastered and restored acetate can sound very good indeed, as this new FTD release makes quite clear. To refer to it as "Not Good Source" = Acetate shows a limited mindset.
But maybe more members should use random bold font in their comments, so they can be more like you.
Well maybe more members should use random highlighting in red in their comments, so they can be more like you. :facep: :facep:

I was only using bold to try and make it easier for you to understand as I thought you missed the point.
To be honest suggesting the opposite of what YDKM said, and that "Not Good Source" = Acetate is actually a "Good Source" shows an old person's mind set.
Someone on this message board recently posted that "wire recordings" were too obscure to be even mentioned in a book that discussed early fifties recordings.

Below is the audio spectrum of the 'I'm A Roustabout' acetate (top) vs the following track 'Little Egypt' below.
As anyone can see the dynamic range of the acetate is totally limited (as one would expect) whereas the studio tape shows a wide dynamic range.

"Good Source" = Studio tape
"Not Good Source" = Acetate

I am happy to explain more about how audio recording and various audio formats work if you want to PM me - I have worked in audio departments for several decades as part of my career in TV broadcast.

You need to be less argumentative with other's opinions about FTD product that they have bought -and have listened to - and have formed their own opinions about.
Cheers
Piers

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

PiersEIN on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:02 pm wrote:
So he's invented this then? Thought so.

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

Hard Rocker on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:16 pm wrote:
I am sure that he has never said that he did have any audio qualification.
He has just challenged others.
and remember how he relied so much on MATTHEW for audio quantifying and back-up in audio debates?
I had many many discussions with Matthew (sadly no longer here) as well as other FTD engineers.
They all tell interesting stories.
Cheers
Piers

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Hard Rocker on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:16 pm wrote:
Not good for the reputation...lol..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

Ciscoking on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:30 am wrote:
Hard Rocker on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:16 pm wrote:
Not good for the reputation...lol..
Neither is raving about 1976 soundboards.

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Raving about 1976 soundboards is merely about having an opinion, however contentious some may find it.

On the other hand, fabrication of one's personal history and experience simply in order to score a point is a considerably greater misdeed. Common sense dictates that.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

drjohncarpenter on November 13th, 2017, 5:05 am wrote:
Mike Windgren on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:37 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on November 13th, 2017, 1:21 am wrote:That is in reference to Elvis: The Last Movies, for those wondering.

Respectful because it´s your buddy?. You´re always championing his work but not what others did on RCA/BMG/SONY/FTD....

What is wrong with you?

You are incapable of behaving like an adult. Carry on, and don't forget those "Smilies."
Truth hurts! :smt005.

Remember you use smilies too when it favours you... :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Hard Rocker on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:24 pm wrote:Raving about 1976 soundboards is merely about having an opinion, however contentious some may find it.

On the other hand, fabrication of one's personal history and experience simply in order to score a point is a considerably greater misdeed. Common sense dictates that.
Too difficult to comprehend for 70s haters.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

a mess of polk salad
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Post by a mess of polk salad »

Due to the negativity and lack of in-depth posts I've decided to leave this forum.

Goodbye.

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 6 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

a mess of polk salad on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 am wrote:Due to the negativity and lack of in-depth posts I've decided to leave this forum.

Goodbye.
I am saddened by this news a mess of polk salad. I understand you perspective and feelings. Gosh, I have felt that way too. But, please don't let the negativity and negative energy generated from some steal your joy. There are many here who appreciate your energy, your enthusiasm, and your excitement for Elvis. I and many others will miss you. I hope you will reconsider.

rlj

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

a mess of polk salad on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 am wrote:Due to the negativity and lack of in-depth posts I've decided to leave this forum.

Goodbye.
Give it a few days rest and come back when you feel like it. There are lots of good folks on the board.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher