3 New FTD Releases - October FTD's (Updated 10-4-2017)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

bajo
Registered for: 21 years

Re: 3 New FTD Releases - October FTD's (Updated 10-4-2017)

Post by bajo »

I just got it, and I love it! (I knew I would). Beautiful package! Now moving on to Lake Tahoe...... :smt020 Down to Polk Salad, disc 1, and I really like this show. Elvis was doing his job and the audience observed the same..good sound too! Really Nice, to me too..... :smt023

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

a mess of polk salad
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Post by a mess of polk salad »

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:29 pm wrote:
Jukebox Jam on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:48 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am wrote:Why start with the last film (Change of Habit), and then work backwards to the earliest?

Perhaps Ernst wanted to kick-off this unique FTD with a bang, and he saw no better way to do that than with "Change of Habit" and "Rubberneckin". This unique disc starts out with Change Of Habit material and ends with Change Of Habit material...
alpha and omega... "Come praise the Lord for He is good... Come join in love and brotherhood..."

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am wrote:Is this a new thing now for compilations - instead of having songs in chronological order, we're going to have them in reverse chronological order?
No.

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am wrote:Why completely separate the non-lifetime-released masters from the other masters? ... On the Stay Away Joe FTD, they didn't shove Dominic after Too Much Monkey Business and U S Male because it wasn't released in Elvis's lifetime. So why do it here?

Due to the fact that Ernst combined three different soundtracks onto one disc, (unlike the "Stay Away, Joe" FTD), he chose to arrange the track list running order (which contained masters and some odds-&-ends) in its own unique way. Nothing wrong with that.

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am wrote: Why place the Let Us Pray items AFTER twenty minutes of Almost? If there's one point in the disc where you are going to turn off, it's going to be during that twenty minutes, so don't just stick another song on the very end of the disc.
Obviously Ernst wanted to end the disc with the last song that Elvis sang to end his last movie (which isn't a bad idea)... and after all, having the Let Us Pray items AFTER twenty minutes of Almost does keep things in chronological order in this instance.

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am wrote: Why are two versions of Let's Forget About the Stars and Swing Down Sweet Chariot next to each other on the disc, and yet the two versions of Charro are not?
Ernst varied it a little bit. No harm done.

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am wrote:You class the second TTWG section as "undubbed masters and movie versions" when they are actually "masters, undubbed masters, overdubbed masters, movie versions and songs not featuring Elvis at all."
Fair enough. Now edited and corrected --
Various recordings (undubbed masters, movie versions, masters, and medley with 7-of-9 *titles not featuring Elvis' vocal)
for "The Trouble with Girls"... so far, so good... still...
:smt023
12 Clean Up Your Own Back Yard (undubbed master) (3:17)
13 Almost (undubbed master) (1:55)
14 Swing Down Sweet Chariot (movie version) (2:30
15 Swing Down Sweet Chariot
(female vocals and brass overdub) (2:16)
16 Signs Of The Zodiac (duet with Marlyn Mason) (2:30)
17 College Songs Medley (3:15)
(*Far Above Cayuga’s Waters / *Boola Boola / *Dartmouth’s In Town Again / *The Eyes Of Texas / *On, Wisconsin /
The Whiffenpoof Song / *Fair Harvard / *Notre Dame / Violet)

poormadpeter2, is there anything else I can help you with, sir?
What you don't do is say "yes, you have a point."

At one point you say "Ernst varied it a bit" - that would be great, but he didn't vary it a bit when he shoved 20+ minutes of Almost together, did he? As for Ernst "obviously" wanting to end the disc with the last song Elvis sang in a movie - you don't know that. Instead it looks much more like a "where can we put this? Oh, we'll stick it at the end."

You are right in saying it's a unique running order, of course. And there is a very good reason why no other discs follow the same format. Because it is has no rhyme or reason. As I pointed out earlier.

IF this release had to have just three soundtracks (and I still think it's stretching the material too thin), then the logical track listing would have been as follows:

MASTERS:
01 Change of Habit (3:21)
02 Let Us Pray (3:02
03 Let’s Be Friends (2:45)
04 Have A Happy (2:23)
05 Rubberneckin’ (2:15)
06 Charro (2:47)
07 Let’s Forget About The Stars (2:29)
08 Clean Up Your Own Back Yard (3:11)
09 Almost (1:52)
10 Swing Down Sweet Chariot
11 Signs Of The Zodiac (duet with Marlyn Mason) (2:30)

BONUS MATERIAL
12 Let Us Pray (alternate vocal overdub) (3:09)
13 Let Us Pray (M/vocal only) (3:07)
14 Charro (rough mix)* (3:07) - nice inclusion to this set
15 Let’s Forget About The Stars (rough mix)* (2:27) - nice inclusion to this set
16 Clean Up Your Own Back Yard (undubbed master) (3:17)
17 Almost (undubbed master) (1:55)
18 Swing Down Sweet Chariot (movie version) (2:30)
19 College Songs Medley (3:15)
(*Far Above Cayuga’s Waters / *Boola Boola / *Dartmouth’s In Town Again / *The Eyes Of Texas / *On, Wisconsin /
20 Almost (takes 1-3*) (3:01)
21 Almost (takes 4* & 6) (3:33)
22 Almost (takes 10*-11) (2:11)
23 Almost (take 13*) (1:58)
24 Almost (takes 14-16*) (4:17)
25 Almost (takes 22-25*) (4:31)
26 Almost (takes 27-28*) (2:21)
27 Almost (take 29*) (1:50)

This would have presented the master takes for the first 11 tracks. All together. Then bonus material then runs until track 19 before getting bogged down with take after take of the same song. That would allow people who didn't want to hear Almost for twenty minutes to turn off at that point without missing out on anything else at the end of the disc. Making Trouble with Girls the last in the order is simply to allow for the film bonus tracks to follow the same order of films as the masters - meaning Almost is at the end of the disc.

THAT is a sensible running order IF this had to be a single disc concentrating on three movies instead of the five it should have been.
I've said it before, bud you should join another forum 'cause I really dont know where you're coming from ...

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

matilda
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by matilda »

Ciscoking on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:17 pm wrote:What about another supersonic, sensational SB double pack..?... :D
No.
Sensational sounds different in my ears.
Please stop the hype while talking about sb.
If THAT'S "sensational", what is a collection of unreleased 50s outtakes for you?
So please spare the hyperbole unless you tell me what in comparison would be all the outtakes of " hound dog" if you call a new 75 to 77 soundboard already "sensational"?

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

matilda on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:58 pm wrote:
Ciscoking on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:17 pm wrote:What about another supersonic, sensational SB double pack..?... :D
No.
If THAT'S "sensational", what is a collection of unreleased 50s outtakes for you?
So please spare the hyperbole unless you tell me what in comparison would be all the outtakes of " hound dog" if you call a new 75 to 77 soundboard already "sensational"?
Is it now forbidden to look forward to upcoming FTDs...weird internet world.. :roll: ..

If FTD brings Hound Dog outtakes...that would be supersupersensational...to please you.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

Ciscoking on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:08 pm wrote:
No.
Is it now forbidden to look forward to upcoming FTDs...weird internet world.. :roll: ..

If FTD brings Hound Dog outtakes...that would be supersupersensational...to please you.
Just say that to"please me"? ?Because in your thinking that equals a sb release of the later live years.
No further questions.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

a mess of polk salad on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:11 pm wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am wrote:Why start with the last film (Change of Habit), and then work backwards to the earliest?

Perhaps Ernst wanted to kick-off this unique FTD with a bang, and he saw no better way to do that than with "Change of Habit" and "Rubberneckin". This unique disc starts out with Change Of Habit material and ends with Change Of Habit material...
alpha and omega... "Come praise the Lord for He is good... Come join in love and brotherhood..."

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am wrote:Is this a new thing now for compilations - instead of having songs in chronological order, we're going to have them in reverse chronological order?
No.

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am wrote:Why completely separate the non-lifetime-released masters from the other masters? ... On the Stay Away Joe FTD, they didn't shove Dominic after Too Much Monkey Business and U S Male because it wasn't released in Elvis's lifetime. So why do it here?

Due to the fact that Ernst combined three different soundtracks onto one disc, (unlike the "Stay Away, Joe" FTD), he chose to arrange the track list running order (which contained masters and some odds-&-ends) in its own unique way. Nothing wrong with that.

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am wrote: Why place the Let Us Pray items AFTER twenty minutes of Almost? If there's one point in the disc where you are going to turn off, it's going to be during that twenty minutes, so don't just stick another song on the very end of the disc.
Obviously Ernst wanted to end the disc with the last song that Elvis sang to end his last movie (which isn't a bad idea)... and after all, having the Let Us Pray items AFTER twenty minutes of Almost does keep things in chronological order in this instance.

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am wrote: Why are two versions of Let's Forget About the Stars and Swing Down Sweet Chariot next to each other on the disc, and yet the two versions of Charro are not?

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am wrote:You class the second TTWG section as "undubbed masters and movie versions" when they are actually "masters, undubbed masters, overdubbed masters, movie versions and songs not featuring Elvis at all."
Various recordings (undubbed masters, movie versions, masters, and medley with 7-of-9 *titles not featuring Elvis' vocal)

At one point you say "Ernst varied it a bit" - that would be great, but he didn't vary it a bit when he shoved 20+ minutes of Almost together, did he? As for Ernst "obviously" wanting to end the disc with the last song Elvis sang in a movie - you don't know that. Instead it looks much more like a "where can we put this? Oh, we'll stick it at the end."

You are right in saying it's a unique running order, of course. And there is a very good reason why no other discs follow the same format. Because it is has no rhyme or reason. As I pointed out earlier.

IF this release had to have just three soundtracks (and I still think it's stretching the material too thin), then the logical track listing would have been as follows:

MASTERS:

BONUS MATERIAL
15 Let’s Forget About The Stars (rough mix)* (2:27) - nice inclusion to this set

This would have presented the master takes for the first 11 tracks. All together. Then bonus material then runs until track 19 before getting bogged down with take after take of the same song. That would allow people who didn't want to hear Almost for twenty minutes to turn off at that point without missing out on anything else at the end of the disc. Making Trouble with Girls the last in the order is simply to allow for the film bonus tracks to follow the same order of films as the masters - meaning Almost is at the end of the disc.

THAT is a sensible running order IF this had to be a single disc concentrating on three movies instead of the five it should have been.
I've said it before, bud you should join another forum 'cause I really dont know where you're coming from ...
Well,if you can't understand plain English and solid reasoning perhaps it is you with the problem.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Ciscoking on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:08 pm wrote:
No.

Yeah, who would want to hear Elvis creating and developing one of rock and roll's most famous tracks? Fortunately, you have multiple rehearsal takes of "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)" on FTD's "From Sunset To Vegas."

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

a mess of polk salad on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:11 pm wrote:

No.

MASTERS:

BONUS MATERIAL

A pretty stupid remark.
Really.
Not everyone is all the time in a raving mood like you are concerning elvis.
Poormadpeter made valid remarks, agree or not, your choice.
But dismiss him and his thoughtful observations and recommend him to another forum is not speaking for you.
Maybe he didn't had a beer in his hand while writing and maybe he just not blindly likes everything which is released uncritically.
We are not here in the completely rose coloured forum.

a mess of polk salad

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:33 pm wrote:
a mess of polk salad on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:11 pm wrote:

No.

MASTERS:

BONUS MATERIAL

Well,if you can't understand plain English and solid reasoning perhaps it is you with the problem.
Have you got said release?

a mess of polk salad

matilda on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:43 pm wrote:

No.

MASTERS:

BONUS MATERIAL

A pretty stupid remark.
Really.
But dismiss him and his thoughtful observations and recommend him to another forum is not speaking for you.
Maybe he didn't had a beer in his hand while writing and maybe he just not blindly likes everything which is released uncritically.
I'm not a fan of cynical and negative, that's not where I live, sorry :sosorry:

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Darrell on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:59 am wrote:I see on this set that we're being presented with two rough mixes, Let's Forget About the Stars & Charro - but can someone please technically explain to this uniformed boy what a rough mix is? Just guessing: Is it the same take as the Master but just in an unperfected state? If that's the case then what's the difference between it and an undubbed Master?
Thanks,
Darrell
rough mix (noun)
A preliminary mix of separately recorded tracks of music.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rough_mix

A rough mix may be made of any song under consideration for release.

An undubbed master is further down the line. It is the take chosen for release in a state where the artist and/or producer still wants to add more voices, instruments or effects before it is ready for public enjoyment.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Darrell

Post by Darrell »

So then, if I'm hearing you right John a rough mix is a separate take than the Master - is that correct?

"I don't sound like nobody!"

drjohncarpenter

Darrell on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:12 pm wrote:So then, if I'm hearing you right John a rough mix is a separate take than the Master - is that correct?
Sometimes. But not always. A rough mix of a take can be prepared, everyone listens and loves it, and they decide it is the one to be worked on for release. Or the decision after listening is that it doesn't sound right, and another rough mix of a different take gets prepared for review.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:| without doubt this last movies FTD is going to get the least # plays by me its pretty awful and i wish i'd never bought it!~ :sosorry:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

a mess of polk salad on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:00 pm wrote:
matilda on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:43 pm wrote:

No.

MASTERS:

BONUS MATERIAL

A pretty stupid remark.
Really.
I'm not a fan of cynical and negative, that's not where I live, sorry :sosorry:
Then why were you negative towards my post? Surely you should have been seeing it for the positives within it. :roll:

Darrell

Post by Darrell »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Darrell on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:12 pm wrote:So then, if I'm hearing you right John a rough mix is a separate take than the Master - is that correct?
Sometimes. But not always. A rough mix of a take can be prepared, everyone listens and loves it, and they decide it is the one to be worked on for release. Or the decision after listening is that it doesn't sound right, and another rough mix of a different take gets prepared for review.
OK, I think I got it now. Thanks, 'preciate it.

"I don't sound like nobody!"

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

YDKM on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:54 pm wrote::| without doubt this last movies FTD is going to get the least # plays by me its pretty awful and i wish i'd never bought it!~ :sosorry:
I knew this wasn't for me but this is unusually harsh coming from you. Apparently, it might be time for you and me to find a new Forum.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

stevelecher on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:08 am wrote:
YDKM on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:54 pm wrote::| without doubt this last movies FTD is going to get the least # plays by me its pretty awful and i wish i'd never bought it!~ :sosorry:
I knew this wasn't for me but this is unusually harsh coming from you. Apparently, it might be time for you and me to find a new Forum.
Honesty should never be frowned upon.

drjohncarpenter

stevelecher on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:08 pm wrote:
Hey, why worry? FTD has practically run its course, according to some here.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

drjohncarpenter on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:08 pm wrote:
stevelecher on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:08 pm wrote:
Hey, why worry? FTD has practically run its course, according to some here.
Hope not but you could be right, based on these releases. I take no joy agreeing.

Jukebox Jam
BANNED - FREQUENT RETURNING MEMBER
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

Post by Jukebox Jam »

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am wrote: Why start with the last film (Change of Habit), and then work backwards to the earliest? Is this a new thing now for compilations - instead of having songs in chronological order, we're going to have them in reverse chronological order?
poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 am wrote: IF this release had to have just three soundtracks . . . , then the logical track listing would have been as follows:
MASTERS:

poormadpeter2, no offense intended, but now you have clearly contradicted yourself. You have now suggested beginning the disc with what you objected to earlier (songs from Elvis' last movie), and your idea for the order of masters jumps from Elvis' 31st movie to Elvis' 29th movie to Elvis' 30th movie! -- Your complaints appear to be very trivial and bizarre... to say the least.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

[ebay][/ebay]
Jukebox Jam on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:26 am wrote:
poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am wrote: Why start with the last film (Change of Habit), and then work backwards to the earliest? Is this a new thing now for compilations - instead of having songs in chronological order, we're going to have them in reverse chronological order?
poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 am wrote: IF this release had to have just three soundtracks . . . , then the logical track listing would have been as follows:
MASTERS:

poormadpeter2, no offense intended, but now you have clearly contradicted yourself. You have now suggested beginning the disc with what you objected to earlier (songs from Elvis' last movie), and your idea for the order of masters jumps from Elvis' 31st movie to Elvis' 29th movie to Elvis' 30th movie! -- Your complaints appear to be very trivial and bizarre... to say the least.
And I have given the explanation for that - so that the multiple outtakes of Almost would be with the rest of the TTWG outtakes etc, but at the very end of the disc. Please READ my explanation in that post. It is very clear and logical. The same is not true of the FTD. My own track listing importantly does not see lifetime and non lifetime masters split up into different parts of the disc. Also, no-one has to sit through twenty minutes of one song to get to outtakes of Let Us Pray.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Rough mix can be the last thing ( even after overdubs) done before final mix. Artist, producer takes it HOME for further study in relaxed atmosphere. Then comes back with final ideas or just fresh ears to finish mixing the track.

Jukebox Jam

Post by Jukebox Jam »

poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 am wrote:... before getting bogged down with take after take of the same song. That would allow people who didn't want to hear Almost for twenty minutes to turn off at that point without missing out on anything else at the end of the disc.
poormadpeter2, if this was an LP vinyl album or cassette tape, then I might agree with you. However, anybody & everybody is well aware of how to use their "skip" button when listening to a compact disc. For anyone not wanting to hear all of the "Almost" outtakes can simply skip them and go directly to tracks 26 and/or 27 if they want to hear the "Let Us Pray" alternates.

With your reasoning (or lack of), I could say the same thing about your suggestion of having takes 27, 28, & 29 of "Almost" at the end of the disc. Just suppose I, or anyone else, wanted to hear only those last 2 tracks of "Almost". Heck, outtakes 1-thru-25 would be "bogging things down". Wow... I just might have to use my base "skip" button (or remote control "skip" button) to get to those last takes of "Almost".
Geeezz, man... how difficult is that?

18 Almost (takes 1-3*) (3:01)
19 Almost (takes 4* & 6) (3:33)
20 Almost (takes 10*-11) (2:11)
21 Almost (take 13*) (1:58)
22 Almost (takes 14-16*) (4:17)
23 Almost (takes 22-25*) (4:31)
24 Almost (takes 27-28*) (2:21)
25 Almost (take 29*) (1:50)
26 Let Us Pray (alternate vocal overdub) (3:09)
27 Let Us Pray (M/vocal only) (3:07)

poormadpeter2, the bottom line is that you want your cake and eat it too. It doesn't work that way... at least not in the real world.

I'm moving on to other things now. Have fun arguing with someone else.
Take care!
:smt006

Jukebox Jam

Post by Jukebox Jam »

YDKM on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:54 pm wrote: without doubt this last movies FTD is going to get the least # plays by me its pretty awful and i wish i'd never bought it!~ :sosorry:
I'm seriously low on funds right now due to some mounting medical bills. I could PM you with my mailing address, and I would be more than happy to take that awful "The Last Movies" FTD off your hands.

I'll even be willing to pay for the mailing cost. :)