Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Hard Rocker

Re: RECORD SALES UPDATE?

Post by Hard Rocker »

brian wrote:
You just don't get it.
No you don't get it. You assume that the RIAA accreditation correlate to the sum total of Elvis Presley's US album sales. That's a ridiculous position to take and anyone with an ounce of sense could tell you that.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

Hard Rocker wrote:No you don't get it. You assume that the RIAA accreditation correlate to the sum total of Elvis Presley's US album sales. That's a ridiculous position to take and anyone with an ounce of sense could tell you that.
You are a very argumentative person. I wasn't even talking to you my first couple of times posting but since then I feel I've been nice to you in my responses. Yet you keep arguing with me over nothing and you keep blathering on about this and won't let it go. You should apologize for being rude and argumentative.

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

No, I wont be apologizing. I disagree with your flawed analysis, as would anyone with an inkling of sense.
If you are unhappy with that, then that's Tutt Sheff anyway you wanna look at it. :wink:

daylon
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by daylon »

Posted before somewhere before on FECC and is probably as close to total US albums sales as we'll get. It's from a well respected poster of sales data on various artists.

My guess for US sales would be around 280 million for albums, singles and EP's, based on figures from various posters on the site linked below.

Worldwide?- maybe another 150-200m?

https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21747

https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=42924

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Elvis has sold several million albums in the US this past few years according to Soundscan... but he has only received one accreditation since Sept 2011: a Silver Disc for Essential Elvis on March 3, 2016.

Someone might want to explain to our friend Brian that therein lies just one example of why his rationale is totally wide of the mark. Clue: It's got something to do with overall sales outstripping accreditations. :wink:

brian

Post by brian »

That's not what I have been saying. I do believe Elvis has a few missing sales. Hard Rocker doesn't even understand what I am talking about but that didn't stop him from being the argumentative person that he is.

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

::rocks

kriss
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by kriss »

Hard Rocker wrote:Elvis has sold several million albums in the US this past few years according to Soundscan... but he has only received one accreditation since Sept 2011: a Silver Disc for Essential Elvis on March 3, 2016.

Someone might want to explain to our friend Brian that therein lies just one example of why his rationale is totally wide of the mark. Clue: It's got something to do with overall sales outstripping accreditations. :wink:

Silver ??????????? Platinum | March 3, 2016 - Gold | August 4, 2010

brian

Post by brian »

Yes. Silver is a sale certification in the U.K. for sales of 200,000. So it's seems the man made a mistake because Soundscan is for the U.S. and Canada.

FredAistair
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by FredAistair »

brian wrote:Elvis' album sales in the U.S. don't exceed 136 million until his record label submits proper sales documentation to the RIAA to get more sales upgrades. Until then the only album sales he has are 136 million. That's fact. Any figure that you say that he has sold that's higher than the 136 million that's been documented would be speculation on your part.
That's actually not true - in the first instance the RIAA only certify whole millions and don't count numbers between certification levels - as Elvis has over 80 plus certified albums that might be a fair number unaccounted for and that's a lot more albums by way of comparison to others .

There s also the issue of of some 250 plus uncertified albums and numbers are known for some of them.

But be that as it may, I can't claim to be very knowledge in this area and am only passing on information I have read elsewhere.

some interesting reads are on these blogs and they don't seem to have been updated for several years now.

https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=42924&sid=00d30a41ef5bddb063f8f12649f9385d

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_tonygalvin.html

kriss
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by kriss »

brian wrote:Yes. Silver is a sale certification in the U.K. for sales of 200,000. So it's seems the man made a mistake because Soundscan is for the U.S. and Canada.

Silver in UK is 60.000 Gold 100.000 Platinum 300.000 (Album)

Singel is 200.000 Gold 400.000 Platinum 600.000

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

kriss wrote:
Hard Rocker wrote:Elvis has sold several million albums in the US this past few years according to Soundscan... but he has only received one accreditation since Sept 2011: a Silver Disc for Essential Elvis on March 3, 2016.

I stand corrected on that however the principle of my point remains undiminished. Presley's sales have outstripped his awards since Sept 2011 and this is why we cannot accept that his US album sales total is the same as the RIAA figure for awards.

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

FredAistair wrote:
brian wrote:Elvis' album sales in the U.S. don't exceed 136 million until his record label submits proper sales documentation to the RIAA to get more sales upgrades. Until then the only album sales he has are 136 million. That's fact. Any figure that you say that he has sold that's higher than the 136 million that's been documented would be speculation on your part.
That's actually not true - in the first instance the RIAA only certify whole millions and don't count numbers between certification levels - as Elvis has over 80 plus certified albums that might be a fair number unaccounted for and that's a lot more albums by way of comparison to others .

There s also the issue of of some 250 plus uncertified albums and numbers are known for some of them.

l
Finally, someone talks sense. Thanks for that! 8)

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Hard Rocker wrote:
kriss wrote:

I stand corrected on that however the principle of my point remains undiminished. Presley's sales have outstripped his awards since Sept 2011 and this is why we cannot accept that his US album sales total is the same as the RIAA figure for awards.
Exactly!

brian

Post by brian »

FredAistair wrote:That's actually not true - in the first instance the RIAA only certify whole millions and don't count numbers between certification levels - as Elvis has over 80 plus certified albums that might be a fair number unaccounted for and that's a lot more albums by way of comparison to others .

I know all of this you can't expect them to count sales that are in between levels like that because those numbers are hard to track. There has to be sales thresholds that you have to meet. The RIAA does the same thing with other artists. As for the claim of 250 uncertified albums well Sony better get cracking then. Until then Elvis' tally stands at 136 million.

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvis-fan »

brian wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
brian wrote:Elvis' RIAA tallies are more realistic and more accurate than people realize or give them credit for...
lol... that's funny... I spit out some of my cereal when I read that this morning... thanks for that!
It's the truth. People in Elvis' era didn't sell that many records but they continue to spout such ridiculous claims. Elvis has 201 million certified sales by the RIAA if you count albums, singles and Extended plays. Jerry Lee Lewis, Ricky Nelson and The Four Seasons etc. would have loved to have 201 million sales. There is no was way Elvis' label could ever come up with the sales data to back up 1.5 billion because he didn't sell that much. In truth there isn't over 1 billion missing sales left unaccounted for. All the RIAA does is certify and then hand out awards after record labels provide them with proof of sales.

FredAistair

Post by FredAistair »

brian wrote:
FredAistair wrote:That's actually not true - in the first instance the RIAA only certify whole millions and don't count numbers between certification levels - as Elvis has over 80 plus certified albums that might be a fair number unaccounted for and that's a lot more albums by way of comparison to others .

I know all of this you can't expect them to count sales that are in between levels like that because those numbers are hard to track. There has to be sales thresholds that you have to meet. The RIAA does the same thing with other artists. As for the claim of 250 uncertified albums well Sony better get cracking then. Until then Elvis' tally stands at 136 million.
1. What is it that you don't get that Elvis has significantly more certified albums than other artists that effect him adversely in comparison in respect of the RIAA figures.
2. What is it that you don't get that certified sales by the RIAA and actual sales for any artists are two different things.
3. And what is it that you don't get that 250 plus un-certified albums would cumulatively have significant sales attached to them.
4. The other things you do get though!

brian

Post by brian »

To answer Fred Astair's questions.
1. As I said I don't blame the RIAA for not tracking sales for albums in between sales cerftifications. Perhaps Elvis' label shouldn't have ridiculously flooded the market. That is their own fault and too damn bad.
2. I get it. what you and Hard Rocker don't understand is that no one knows for sure how many records Elvis has sold. All you can go by is his documented sales. Anything after that is speculation.
3. Not necessarily most of those releases may not have sold enough to get a gold award. That again is speculation unless Sony gets the sales paperwork together to submit to the RIAA. It's hard to say.
4. Thank you.

FredAistair

Post by FredAistair »

brian wrote:To answer Fred Astair's questions.
1. As I said I don't blame the RIAA for not tracking sales for albums in between sales cerftifications. Perhaps Elvis' label shouldn't have ridiculously flooded the market. That is their own fault and too damn bad.
2. I get it. what you and Hard Rocker don't understand is that no one knows for sure how many records Elvis has sold. All you can go by is his documented sales. Anything after that is speculation.
3. Not necessarily most of those releases may not have sold enough to get a gold award. That again is speculation unless Sony gets the sales paperwork together to submit to the RIAA. It's hard to say.
4. Thank you.
RIAA sales are those for those someone has produced supporting documents for that meet their rules and paid the fees.
The are no more than that, so no they do not by any means reflect the true sales for any anyone beyond those parameters.

Topic author
EPFan1970
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by EPFan1970 »

Elvis hit over 1 billion worldwide sales in 1982. Look it up. Also, the Guinness Book Of World Records has Elvis as the best selling artist of all time with over 1 billion sales, what are you some of you talking about??? There are many Elvis sales that unfortunately are unaccounted for. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/best-selling-solo-artist

“Don’t criticize what you don’t understand, son. You never walked in that man’s shoes.”

― Elvis Presley

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

brian wrote:
No-one disputes that his RIAA tally is 136 million. We are aware of that.

What we have been disputing (and what you have been denying) is that his sales outstrip his certifications.
However.... the maths have proven you wrong. There is no argument here. This is not about opinion. You simply talked yourself into a hole and you have now realized it. :wink:

brian

Post by brian »

Moving on does anyone know what Elvis' ''certified'' singles and album sales are in the U.K., Australia and Canada?

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

brian wrote:Moving on
Good idea. Next time, don't be too hasty when it comes to demanding undue apologies.
Have a nice day.

brian

Post by brian »

FredAistair wrote:RIAA sales are those for those someone has produced supporting documents for that meet their rules and paid the fees.
The are no more than that, so no they do not by any means reflect the true sales for any anyone beyond those parameters.
Except for the fact that many years ago all the record labels in America got together and they decided that the RIAA would be the only organization in the U.S. that would tally sales and hand out official certifications. There is nothing else to go on because after that decision record labels stopped making in house sales awards for their own artists. Elvis' label actually did a good job in getting his sales updated as much as they did. If they didn't do that and there was no organization to hand out awards we would have a less clearer picture of what he has sold and he would receive less credit for his sales.

brian

Post by brian »

EPFan1970 wrote:Elvis hit over 1 billion worldwide sales in 1982.
Even Hard Rocker does not believe that. Don't be so gullible. If I told you Elvis had sold 1 trillion records by 1986 would you believe it.