Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

New Book: Elvis In Hawaii November 1957 - by Paul Bélard

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Last week I received this wonderful book as compiled and written by Paul Bélard, born in France, living in the US.

The book with glossy cover counts 168 pages, some 160 pictures and they all deal with the two weeks Elvis spend during his trip to and his stay in Hawaii from November 5 to November 13, 1957.

To be honest, I've never seen a book that dealt solely with those two very interesting weeks. The dedication makes it a pleasure to read and flip through. We mainly read articles from that time itself. No analyses, just pictures and articles from that time. As if we're stepping into a time machine.

Not all pictures are of fantastic quality, and some are plain screen shots from footage, but it's all to give us a feel of how it must have been those days. How Elvis looked and moved, and how fans reacted. They have historical value, even the blurry ones.

To give an impression, here are a few examples, including the front and back cover:

ELVIS IN HAWAII - NOVEMBER 1957 - Paul Bélard - Front Cover.png

ELVIS IN HAWAII - NOVEMBER 1957 - Paul Bélard - Page 28.png

ELVIS IN HAWAII - NOVEMBER 1957 - Paul Bélard - Page 50.png

ELVIS IN HAWAII - NOVEMBER 1957 - Paul Bélard - Page 108.png

ELVIS IN HAWAII - NOVEMBER 1957 - Paul Bélard - Page 164.png

ELVIS IN HAWAII - NOVEMBER 1957 - Paul Bélard - Back Cover.png

If you're interested in the book, you can get in contact with the author directly by mail: pbelard@hotmail.com

::rocks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MikeFromHolland on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: New Book: Elvis In Hawaii November 1957 - by Paul Bélard

Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Perfect Mike.
Looks great!!!

Michel.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:18 pm

Thanks Mike
it looks great buddy
Im happy you got this gem
Many thanks for the info
Best regards sent to you my friend :smt006

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up Mike. Always looking for something new, especially from the 50's. Is this a book you would recommend?

rlj

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Never seen the second pic!

Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:49 pm

rlj4ep wrote:Thanks for the heads up Mike. Always looking for something new, especially from the 50's. Is this a book you would recommend?

rlj

You're welcome rlj4ep.

If you don't expect a hardcover book, with thick glossy paper, pictures coming directly from negatives and a professional lay-out, like some of the FTD ones and the Elvis Files books, than: yes. It's a soft cover book and the pages aren't shiny, but it's complete and measures 8.50 x 11.00 Inch. It covers what it claims to cover.

To my understanding, this book is a one man's project with the aim of showing as much photos and articles about a short period of time as possible. So rare pictures are shown as well, quite a few I can't remember ever seeing before, but about 20 to 30% of the 160 pictures are either somewhat pixelated or blurry. Photos you won't see elsewhere for that reason. It's for historical reasons (I guess) the author put these in the book as well. Expect no revelations, however. Just step into the time machine and make the trip to Hawaii together with El. :D

I'd say, just write Paul a note. I'm sure he will tell you more. I'm happy to have it in my collection. Numbered and signed by the author. It is what it says it is.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:05 pm

Thanks Mike, I've just sent him an email !

Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:36 pm

MikeFromHolland wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:Thanks for the heads up Mike. Always looking for something new, especially from the 50's. Is this a book you would recommend?

rlj

You're welcome rlj4ep.

If you don't expect a hardcover book, with thick glossy paper, pictures coming directly from negatives and a professional lay-out, like some of the FTD ones and the Elvis Files books, than: yes. It's a soft cover book and the pages aren't shiny, but it's complete and measures 8.50 x 11.00 Inch. It covers what it claims to cover.

To my understanding, this book is a one man's project with the aim of showing as much photos and articles about a short period of time as possible. So rare pictures are shown as well, quite a few I can't remember ever seeing before, but about 20 to 30% of the 160 pictures are either somewhat pixelated or blurry. Photos you won't see elsewhere for that reason. It's for historical reasons (I guess) the author put these in the book as well. Expect no revelations, however. Just step into the time machine and make the trip to Hawaii together with El. :D

I'd say, just write Paul a note. I'm sure he will tell you more. I'm happy to have it in my collection. Numbered and signed by the author. It is what it says it is.

Thanks so much Mike. I'm always interested in these rare books. Often they end up being a real gem. Thanks for your comments, and I will send Paul an email.. Thanks!

rlj

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:43 pm

You're welcome. I just posted some info on his second book as well:

New Book: Elvis LAS VEGAS April-May 1956 - by Paul Bélard
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98827#p1610099

A real pleasure to flip through and watch 330(!) pictures of that two week period in Las Vegas. This one I can recommend as well.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:49 pm

lanadelslay wrote:Never seen the second pic!

Me neither, but I'm glad I have now!