Mojo Magazine - Elvis: The Last Mystery / Without You!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Mojo Magazine - Elvis: The Last Mystery / Without You!

Post by drjohncarpenter »

GuyLambert, was I not that close with my track listing?

Also ... any update on the record release? I really want to hear the complete "Without You."

::rocks

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

skabillyrebels
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by skabillyrebels »

patience is a virtue

Topic author
GuyLambert
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by GuyLambert »

drjohncarpenter on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:01 pm wrote:GuyLambert, was I not that close with my track listing?

Also ... any update on the record release? I really want to hear the complete "Without You."

Hi Doc:

Many of the songs you cited were the ones I picked as well. I have a copy of the rare Danny Boy single so that one would have to be a vinyl transfer. I think its an important enough performance and Elvis link to include.

The truth is I haven't had an update from the record label in a few weeks and I've been playing it cool, giving them time to do the licensing, which apparently can take months.

There are many beautiful released songs to choose from but I also found a few unreleased gems I think must be included. The track listing feels good and I'll let you know when it's finalized.

Thanks for checking in!

drjohncarpenter

GuyLambert on Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:56 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:01 pm wrote:GuyLambert, was I not that close with my track listing?

Hi Doc:

Many of the songs you cited were the ones I picked as well. I have a copy of the rare Danny Boy single so that one would have to be a vinyl transfer. I think its an important enough performance and Elvis link to include.

The truth is I haven't had an update from the record label in a few weeks and I've been playing it cool, giving them time to do the licensing, which apparently can take months.

There are many beautiful released songs to choose from but I also found a few unreleased gems I think must be included. The track listing feels good and I'll let you know when it's finalized.

Thanks for checking in!
Appreciate the update, and will look forward to a release announcement sooner than later. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Any news on the Jimmy Sweeney release?

FECC turns its lonely eyes to you.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

drjohncarpenter on Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:32 am wrote:Any news on the Jimmy Sweeney release?

Thanks for checking in Doc. All the songs licenses have been cleared. We're expected to be moving forward with actual work on the release (mastering, artwork, etc.) in the coming months. I believe we're shooting for a 2019 Record Store Day release? Might be a nice tie in. I've recently received some beautiful original photographs from the Sweeney family that will be included. Getting there, little by little!

drjohncarpenter

GuyLambert on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:17 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:32 am wrote:Any news on the Jimmy Sweeney release?

Thanks for checking in Doc. All the songs licenses have been cleared. We're expected to be moving forward with actual work on the release (mastering, artwork, etc.) in the coming months. I believe we're shooting for a 2019 Record Store Day release? Might be a nice tie in. I've recently received some beautiful original photographs from the Sweeney family that will be included. Getting there, little by little!

Will there be a CD version as well as a vinyl edition?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

drjohncarpenter on Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:24 pm wrote:
GuyLambert on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:17 pm wrote:

Will there be a CD version as well as a vinyl edition?
Nothing is set in stone yet but I don't think there will be a CD. We did talk about the possibility of doing an extended track listing available for download. I would love that. So many good performances and unreleased stuff.

drjohncarpenter

GuyLambert on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:43 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:24 pm wrote:Will there be a CD version as well as a vinyl edition?
Nothing is set in stone yet but I don't think there will be a CD. We did talk about the possibility of doing an extended track listing available for download. I would love that. So many good performances and unreleased stuff.

You should consider a CD iteration, since if there is not one, someone might create a counterfeit using the LP or the downloaded files.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

drjohncarpenter on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:03 pm wrote:
GuyLambert on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:43 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:24 pm wrote:Will there be a CD version as well as a vinyl edition?

You should consider a CD iteration, since if there is not one, someone might create a counterfeit using the LP or the downloaded files.
I hear you Doc but the record industry considers CDs dinosaurs and not worth the expense. Still, I'd like to have a CD too.

drjohncarpenter

GuyLambert on Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:54 pm wrote:I hear you Doc but the record industry considers CDs dinosaurs and not worth the expense. Still, I'd like to have a CD too.
Hmm, maybe Bear Family will welcome doing the CD version, or Ace Records?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Small addendum: given the news of his passing today, I'm so glad you had a chance to speak with Harold Bradley about the 1954 demo recording of "Without You." Still looking forward to the Jimmy Sweeney release, and a possible edition via physical media.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

I’m sitting in the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, having just completed the transfer of the Without You acetate, with Alan Stoker, a la My Happiness I put together a quick video. Enjoy! ..

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

PS Doc. I didn’t see your post re Harold Bradley. Just found out today from Alan.

drjohncarpenter

GuyLambert on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:18 pm wrote:I’m sitting in the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, having just completed the transfer of the Without You acetate, with Alan Stoker, a la My Happiness I put together a quick video. Enjoy!

Holy moley, this is wonderful viewing!

If that disc is the only copy of that legendary 10" acetate of "Without You," Alan Stoker sure seems a bit casual carrying it over to the turntable ...

That's the first time I've ever heard the final flourish on guitar, by the late Harold Bradley. Did Alan also transfer the flip side, "No Gas"?

It's so funny to imagine we not only have Elvis' recording of "My Happiness" from July 1953, but also the January 1954 acetate of "I'll Never Stand In Your Way" and now ... the May 1954 recording of "Without You." These items were nothing but ghosts to the deep fan, for years and years. I am thrilled with the prospect of hearing and owning a complete copy of this. It almost doesn't seem real.

Thank you for your incredible dedication to this music, and the ability to appreciate what it all means.

GuyLambert on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:20 pm wrote:PS Doc. I didn’t see your post re Harold Bradley. Just found out today from Alan.
Wow, I'm sorry you didn't know. Here's what I wrote in January:

drjohncarpenter on Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:28 am wrote:
Jaime1234 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:35 am wrote:Obituary
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/harold-bradley-guitarist-dead-obituary-787325/

Bradley when Elvis was eight.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTH5MYsRPdMeb7Tgt9zNIBGaTgJF1-KtKlCB3JA71xCtN66xGm_

His best quote about Elvis.
"He was such a nice guy to work with, a quick study. He’d go over and play the demo acetate and listen to a bunch of them. When he finally found one he liked, by the time he walked from there back over to the mic, he knew the song.
** Harold Bradley, guitarist who worked with Elvis in Nashville, as noted in his obituary published on CMT News̺'January 31, 2019 edition.

Harold Bradley, a legend from the famous Nashville session A-team, is gone. But 93 is a good, long life.

Unlike lead guitar slingers like Hank Garland or Grady Martin, he specialized in playing superb rhythm guitar parts. He was also known as a expert playing the six-string electric bass, with a "tic-tac" style of muting the bass notes.

Harold Bradley, Fabry Studios, Nashville - circa 1964
Photo: Bill Forshee.
Holding a Fender Jazzmaster. A few years earlier, Hank Garland borrowed it to play lead licks on Elvis' "Little Sister."

His work for Elvis may not be known to some of you. Here are two examples:

Elvis Presley with The Jordanaires and The Imperials Quartet "Indescribably Blue" (RCA Victor 47-9056, January 10, 1967)
Bradley plays the lead parts on this single A-side.

Elvis Presley "Hi Heel Sneakers" (RCA Victor 47-9425, January 9, 1968)
B-side of "Guitar Man."
Lead electric guitar sitar played by Bradley.

EMM #18, March 1993

R.I.P. Harold Bradley.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

Thank you Doc. Great post on Harold. Yes, we also transferred the flip. It still sounds like Malcolm Yelvington to me but its not him.

drjohncarpenter

GuyLambert on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:57 pm wrote:Thank you Doc. Great post on Harold. Yes, we also transferred the flip. It still sounds like Malcolm Yelvington to me but its not him.
We should assume "No Gas" was recorded in Nashville, like "Without You," yes? If so, perhaps an area musician might have had a hand in recording it.

So, was Alan Stoker handling the only known copy of that demo, as I suggested?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

drjohncarpenter on Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:19 am wrote:
GuyLambert on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:57 pm wrote:Thank you Doc. Great post on Harold. Yes, we also transferred the flip. It still sounds like Malcolm Yelvington to me but its not him.
We should assume "No Gas" was recorded in Nashville, like "Without You," yes? If so, perhaps an area musician might have had a hand in recording it.

So, was Alan Stoker handling the only known copy of that demo, as I suggested?
Sonic-wise, Alan Stoker thought No Gas was recorded at the same session as Without You. So I would imagine it could have been a local musician. Yes, this acetate is the only known copy. Observing Alan work was very interesting. His studio is his world and all is right. No frills, no bullshit. No white gloves, distilled water applied to the acetate while spinning. He said "I have my way of doing things that's worked for me for a long time." He has respect for the importance of the moment and just does his thing to get the job done right.

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by George Smith »

Am I alone in finding this all quite thrilling?

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

timothy_sideburns
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by timothy_sideburns »

George Smith on Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:09 pm wrote:Am I alone in finding this all quite thrilling?
Nope. not alone. I just re-read the whole thread from the start and I've got goosebumps. ::rocks

drjohncarpenter

George Smith on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:09 am wrote:Am I alone in finding this all quite thrilling?
Hey!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by George Smith »

drjohncarpenter on 26 Feb 2019, 20:35 wrote:
George Smith on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:09 am wrote:Am I alone in finding this all quite thrilling?
Hey!
Goes without saying, naturally.

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by elvis4life »

Hello GuyLambert, any latest updates regarding this project? I'm still interested in buying a copy of this when it's out, thanks.

skabillyrebels
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by skabillyrebels »

i want to it

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

Hi Guys
Beautiful stuff going on with the Jimmy Sweeney album “Without You,” to be released on RSD 4/18/20! The package design is striking and I received test pressings of the album today. I’m so pleased. The vinyl was dead quiet and the sound was awesome. This will be a fitting tribute to an amazing artist.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.