Mojo Magazine - Elvis: The Last Mystery / Without You!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Re: Mojo Magazine - Elvis: The Last Mystery / Without You!

Post by George Smith »

That, my friend, would have been the icing on the cake ...

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

George Smith on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:52 pm wrote:That, my friend, would have been the icing on the cake ...
I still want to hear the complete acetate, not only "Without You" but also "No Gas."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

drjohncarpenter on 11 Oct 2017, 23:11 wrote:
George Smith on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:52 pm wrote:That, my friend, would have been the icing on the cake ...
I still want to hear the complete acetate, not only "Without You" but also "No Gas."
Oh, yes please!

WALK A LONELY STREET

Rtn 2 Sndr
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by Rtn 2 Sndr »

Just now reading this. Absolutely fascinating!

Rtn 2 Sndr
Address Unknown

drjohncarpenter

Rtn 2 Sndr on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:58 pm wrote:Just now reading this. Absolutely fascinating!
As far as Elvis history, this is certainly one of the most important stories of the year. It's great MOJO was able to publish it.

Someday soon, perhaps, the hard core fans will enjoy hearing all of "Without You" and "No Gas."

Sam Phillips did, just 63 years ago.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
GuyLambert
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by GuyLambert »

New interesting development: A few weeks ago, I was able to hear the complete recording of Without You for the first time.

I had another "what the heck" moment upon listening. What first surprised me was the song has a Latin style vibe to it, in composition and guitar playing. That was a bit of a shock. I was of the thought that it was just a plaintive ballad with minimal guitar accompaniment. I knew the guitarist was a professional, from the beautiful flamenco style runs being played. Then it hit me. This guitar playing reminds me of Harold Bradley, whose playing style I know from many Elvis sessions.

I knew Grady Martin and Hank Garland were also contenders, but it was Harold I thought of. I ran it by Michael Gray at the Country Hall of Fame and he agreed with me, his money was on Harold.

Then I find out that Harold is still alive. I was able to speak with him on the phone. He said "I loved Jimmy Sweeney" and remembers playing guitar on the Varieteers sessions. I sent him Without You and received the following response: "Hi Chris, I've listened to the song several times, and feel sure it is me. It's not Grady, and doesn't sound like Hank. I don't know of any other guitar players that had that technique in that time period/ It sounds like me trying to play everything I knew on the record."

Per Guralnick and Greil accounts of hearing Without You, I've been under the impression that this was a rough, unprofessional demo. Not true, its Jimmy Sweeney, a seasoned recording artist accompanied by one of Nashville's music architects, Harold Bradley! The plot thickens. 8)
Last edited by GuyLambert on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

GuyLambert on 09 Nov 2017, 17:34 wrote:New interesting development: A few weeks ago, I was able to hear the complete recording of Without You for the first time.

I had another "what the heck" moment upon listening. What first surprised me was the song has a Latin style vibe to it, in composition and guitar playing. That was a bit of a shock. I was of the thought that it was just a plaintive ballad with minimal guitar accompaniment. I knew the guitarist was a professional, from the beautiful flamenco style runs being played. Then it hit me. This guitar playing reminds me of Harold Bradley, whose playing style I know from many Elvis sessions.

I knew Grady Martin and Hank Garland were also contenders, but it was Harold I thought of. I ran it by Michael Gray at the Country Hall of Fame and he agreed with me, his money was on Harold.

Then I find out that Harold is still alive. I was able to speak with him on the phone. He said "I loved Jimmy Sweeney" and remembers playing guitar of the Varieteers sessions. I sent him Without You and received the following response: "Hi Chris, I've listened to the song several times, and feel sure it is me. It's not Grady, and doesn't sound like Hank. I don't know of any other guitar players that had that technique in that time period/ It sounds like me trying to play everything I knew on the record."

Per Guralnick and Greil accounts of hearing Without You, I've been under the impression that this was a rough, unprofessional demo. Not true, its Jimmy Sweeney, a seasoned recording artist accompanied by one of Nashville's music architects, Harold Bradley! The plot thickens. 8)
This just gets better -- awesome addition to the story, thank you!

WALK A LONELY STREET

drjohncarpenter

George Smith on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:36 am wrote:
GuyLambert on 09 Nov 2017, 17:34 wrote:New interesting development: A few weeks ago, I was able to hear the complete recording of Without You for the first time.

Then I find out that Harold is still alive. I was able to speak with him on the phone. He said "I loved Jimmy Sweeney" and remembers playing guitar of the Varieteers sessions. I sent him Without You and received the following response: "Hi Chris, I've listened to the song several times, and feel sure it is me. It's not Grady, and doesn't sound like Hank. I don't know of any other guitar players that had that technique in that time period/ It sounds like me trying to play everything I knew on the record."

This just gets better -- awesome addition to the story, thank you!
This is just fantastic reading. I hope to be able to hear both sides of that 1953 acetate someday.

GuyLambert, make it so!

;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

I just revisited this topic, and it's so wonderful it deserves a bump.

*Bump*

::rocks

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

drjohncarpenter on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:19 pm wrote:I just revisited this topic, and it's so wonderful it deserves a bump.

*Bump*

Hi Doc, thank you for the bump and no kidding, coincidentally I was going to post an update today!

I'm very pleased to announce that I'll be producing a Jimmy Sweeney compilation with ORG Music. http://www.longlivevinyl.net/label-stories-big-reissue-org-music/

ORG's Andrew Rossiter has done some beautiful work on reissues and is very passionate about the project. Hopefully we'll produce something that will do Jimmy Sweeney right. Not sure exactly what tracks the compilation will include at this beginning stage, but of course Without You will be on there.

We've discussed the possibility of doing a future Record Store Day release of the Without You acetate, a la My Happiness / Third Man Records. That way we can include "Out of Gas" on the flip, a non- Sweeney song. Fun stuff.

Right now we're in the process of tracking down what master tapes survive and what tracks will have to be transferred from vinyl.

I'll keep this thread updated when I can and thank you everybody for the interest and encouragement. 8)

skabillyrebels
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by skabillyrebels »

that's fantastic news thank you for the update ::rocks

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

GuyLambert on 16 Feb 2018, 12:36 wrote:I'm very pleased to announce that I'll be producing a Jimmy Sweeney compilation with ORG Music. http://www.longlivevinyl.net/label-stories-big-reissue-org-music/

ORG's Andrew Rossiter has done some beautiful work on reissues and is very passionate about the project. Hopefully we'll produce something that will do Jimmy Sweeney right. Not sure exactly what tracks the compilation will include at this beginning stage, but of course Without You will be on there.

We've discussed the possibility of doing a future Record Store Day release of the Without You acetate, a la My Happiness / Third Man Records. That way we can include "Out of Gas" on the flip, a non- Sweeney song. Fun stuff.

Right now we're in the process of tracking down what master tapes survive and what tracks will have to be transferred from vinyl.

I'll keep this thread updated when I can and thank you everybody for the interest and encouragement. 8)
You've just made my day.

WALK A LONELY STREET

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

Wow - great news. Fantastic detective work Guy!

I'm going to have to print out this thread and re-read it from the beginning. I love a good mystery - and when it starts to be solved.

Jimmy Sweeny - the unsung hero. And wow, you just phoned up Harold Bradley and got to talk to him. Impressed!

drjohncarpenter

GuyLambert on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:36 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:19 pm wrote:I just revisited this topic, and it's so wonderful it deserves a bump.

*Bump*

Hi Doc, thank you for the bump and no kidding, coincidentally I was going to post an update today!

I'm very pleased to announce that I'll be producing a Jimmy Sweeney compilation with ORG Music. http://www.longlivevinyl.net/label-stories-big-reissue-org-music/

I guess I should add "Mind Reader" to my resume!

GREAT news. I cannot wait to hear the entire compilation, but the 1953 acetate is something I've been wanting to hear for years.

Thank you for the update.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

Quick update, for those interested. Track listing is complete, flows nicely.

Now comes the process of securing the rights to those recordings. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Next, I'm looking forward to overseeing vinyl transfers and sourcing from the master tapes. Looking forward to a trip to Memphis to meet John Bakke and transfer the Without You acetate.

As it stands right now, the release will be a single LP. Quite a few newly discovered unreleased tracks will be included. I'm hopeful for the possibility of an extended digital release and Without You / Out of Gas 10 inch Record Store Day release.

Working with the Sweeney family on gathering photographs and other artifacts.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

GuyLambert on 21 May 2018, 18:46 wrote:Quick update, for those interested. Track listing is complete, flows nicely.

Now comes the process of securing the rights to those recordings. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Next, I'm looking forward to overseeing vinyl transfers and sourcing from the master tapes. Looking forward to a trip to Memphis to meet John Bakke and transfer the Without You acetate.

As it stands right now, the release will be a single LP. Quite a few newly discovered unreleased tracks will be included. I'm hopeful for the possibility of an extended digital release and Without You / Out of Gas 10 inch Record Store Day release.

Marvellous, marvellous, marvellous !

WALK A LONELY STREET

elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by elvis4life »

GuyLambert on Mon May 21, 2018 1:46 pm wrote:Quick update, for those interested. Track listing is complete, flows nicely.

Besides vinyl, will this also be released as a CD or will it be strictly vinyl? Thanks in advance.

drjohncarpenter

GuyLambert on Mon May 21, 2018 10:46 am wrote:Quick update, for those interested. Track listing is complete, flows nicely.

This sounds really fantastic! A single LP means maybe 14-16 tracks. What may fans expect to hear, material from the "Without You" era, circa 1954, or as far forward as the Jimmy Bell singles from 1960-1962?

I know of three singles released in 1954-1955:

Jimmy Sweeney And The Varieteers
"Deep Blues" b/w "I've Got A Woman's Love" (Hickory 1004, February 27, 1954)

Varieteers
"I Pay With Every Breath" b/w "If You And I Could Be Sweethearts" (Hickory 1014, August 21, 1954)

Varieteers
"Call My Gal, Miss Jones" b/w "Minnie Come Home" (Hickory 1025, May 21, 1955)

---

You might appreciate the irony of this Sweeney recording on Columbia, from 1958:

Jim Sweeney "It Wouldn't Be The Same (Without You)" (Columbia 41262, November 17, 1958)
B-side is "Afraid."

Floyd "Lightnin'" Chance, Jim Sweeney and Floyd Cramer, Bradley Film and Recording Studio, Nashville - May 4, 1958
Rehearsing "It Wouldn't Be The Same (Without You)" in Nashville ... note the sheet music on Cramer's piano.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

elvis4life on Mon May 21, 2018 2:32 pm wrote:
GuyLambert on Mon May 21, 2018 1:46 pm wrote:Quick update, for those interested. Track listing is complete, flows nicely.

Besides vinyl, will this also be released as a CD or will it be strictly vinyl? Thanks in advance.

Hi...I don't believe there will be a physical CD release due to their decline in popularity in the marketplace. Vinyl will be the main format and the plan is to try for an extended digital / streaming release as well. It all depends on where the costs are at the end of the licensing process.

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

drjohncarpenter on Mon May 21, 2018 2:43 pm wrote:
GuyLambert on Mon May 21, 2018 10:46 am wrote:Quick update, for those interested. Track listing is complete, flows nicely.

This sounds really fantastic! A single LP means maybe 14-16 tracks. What may fans expect to hear, material from the "Without You" era, circa 1954, or as far forward as the Jimmy Bell singles from 1960-1962?

Varieteers
"I Pay With Every Breath" b/w "If You And I Could Be Sweethearts" (Hickory 1014, August 21, 1954)

Varieteers

---

You might appreciate the irony of this Sweeney recording on Columbia, from 1958:

Jim Sweeney "It Wouldn't Be The Same (Without You)" (Columbia 41262, November 17, 1958)
B-side is "Afraid."

Floyd "Lightnin'" Chance, Jim Sweeney and Floyd Cramer, Bradley Film and Recording Studio, Nashville - May 4, 1958
Rehearsing "It Wouldn't Be The Same (Without You)" in Nashville ... note the sheet music on Cramer's piano.
Right, Doc...as of now, 17 songs on the album, 5 unreleased. I found a beautiful unreleased version of It Wouldn't Be The Same (Without You) by the Varieteers in the Sony vaults. I wanted to include it for the obvious EP reasons. Also including She Wears My Ring from the Columbia master tape and a rare version of Jimmy singing Danny Boy, released on a small label out of Ohio in 1955. Many more treats!

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

GuyLambert on Mon May 21, 2018 4:28 pm wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Mon May 21, 2018 2:43 pm wrote:

Varieteers

Varieteers

---

B-side is "Afraid."

Right, Doc...as of now, 17 songs on the album, 5 unreleased. I found a beautiful unreleased version of It Wouldn't Be The Same (Without You) by the Varieteers in the Sony vaults. I wanted to include it for the obvious EP reasons. Also including She Wears My Ring from the Columbia master tape and a rare version of Jimmy singing Danny Boy, released on a small label out of Ohio in 1955. Many more treats!
The running order gives nice coverage to his entire career, early through 1962.

BobDylan
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by BobDylan »

You will be posting ordering information when the time comes, yes?

JamieAKelley
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by JamieAKelley »

GuyLambert on Mon May 21, 2018 12:46 pm wrote:Quick update, for those interested. Track listing is complete, flows nicely.

WOW! This is phenomenal!! I've been wanting to hear the rest of this thing forever (I did a very small snippet on my third album as a hidden track), and it's a crime that the record that "made" Elvis Presley hasn't been heard by the mass public. Really looking forward to the other songs, too. :)

I'd post the "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" meme, but since I like information too much... please keep talking, but still take my money. :lol:

I'm sure all is well in hand, but if there's anything I or my studio or whatever can do to help this project (or future ones) along, please feel free to reach out. More than happy to do what I'm able to see all this happen. Very excited!

Sincerely,
Jamie

(singer/songwriter/performer/self-proclaimed "Elvis geek"/all-around geek)
(geek - yeah, you heard me.)

http://www.jamiekelleymusic.com

New CD - ALL ORIGINAL SONGS! Adult Contemporary/Light Rock/Pop/More
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jamiekelley

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

BobDylan on Mon May 21, 2018 7:22 pm wrote:You will be posting ordering information when the time comes, yes?
For sure!

drjohncarpenter

GuyLambert on Mon May 21, 2018 1:28 pm wrote:Right, Doc...as of now, 17 songs on the album, 5 unreleased. I found a beautiful unreleased version of It Wouldn't Be The Same (Without You) by the Varieteers in the Sony vaults. I wanted to include it for the obvious EP reasons. Also including She Wears My Ring from the Columbia master tape and a rare version of Jimmy singing Danny Boy, released on a small label out of Ohio in 1955. Many more treats!
GuyLambert on Mon May 21, 2018 1:31 pm wrote:The running order gives nice coverage to his entire career, early through 1962.
I'll love to see which songs you choose.

Just for fun, here are my guesses for what *might* make the cut. Let me know how close I am to your shortlist!
JIMMY SWEENEY - WITHOUT YOU

1953-1954 demos
Desire
Believe In Me
Without You

1954 singles
Deep Blues [Jimmy Sweeney And The Varieteers]
I've Got A Woman's Love [Jimmy Sweeney And The Varieteers]
I Pay With Every Breath [Varieteers]
If You And I Could Be Sweethearts [Varieteers]
Memories Of You [Varieteers]
When Did You Leave Heaven [Varieteers]

1955 singles
Danny Boy [Jimmy Destry With The Rhythm Rockers]
You're Gonna Ride With Me [Jimmy Destry With The Rhythm Rockers]
Call My Gal, Miss Jones [Varieteers]
Minnie Come Home [Varieteers]

1955 outtake
It Wouldn't Be The Same (Without You) [Varieteers]

1956 single
The Question
These Tears

1957 single
Tica Boo
Bongo Olay

1958 singles
The Midnight Hour
Till The Right One Comes Along
It Wouldn't Be The Same (Without You)
Afraid

1960 single
She Wears My Ring [Jimmy Bell]
Going Down To The River [Jimmy Bell]

1962 single
Your Skies Of Blue (Will Turn Grey On You) [Jimmy Bell]
Tomorrow Is A-Comin [Jimmy Bell]

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.