Mojo Magazine - Elvis: The Last Mystery / Without You!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

ORION
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Mojo Magazine - Elvis: The Last Mystery / Without You!

Post by ORION »

There is no doubt that Elvis 'borrowed' some vocal techniques from Jimmy. If anyone hasn't, you should check out some of his music on YouTube. I look forward to this release. Do you have a definitive answer if at some point this might be available as a Download?

skabillyrebels
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by skabillyrebels »

I was hoping for a replace 10 inch acetate like the Elvis one.

Topic author
GuyLambert
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by GuyLambert »

ORION wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pm
There is no doubt that Elvis 'borrowed' some vocal techniques from Jimmy. If anyone hasn't, you should check out some of his music on YouTube. I look forward to this release. Do you have a definitive answer if at some point this might be available as a Download?
Hey Orion: Sorry, nothing definitive yet about a download. I'll bring it up again.
I would like to do a webpage for Jimmy and feature some of the other incredible music found in his personal collection as well as alt takes, etc. found in the vaults of the various record companies. If I can get it together to make that happen in some form, it would be interesting.

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

skabillyrebels wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:20 pm
I was hoping for a replace 10 inch acetate like the Elvis one.
Hi skabillyrebels: Me too!
A priority for everyone involved was to do an outstanding job with the packaging, and that gets expensive.
I suppose if the album sells well, the idea could resurface.

skabillyrebels

Post by skabillyrebels »

That would be great Guy thanks for the reply.

ORION

Post by ORION »

nothing definitive yet about a download. I'll bring it up again.
I would like to do a webpage for Jimmy and feature some of the other incredible music

Thank you so much for answering my question. It would be fantastic for a web site/page to showcase Jimmy's amazing vocals. It's obviously been a labor of love that you've seen this through. I wish all involved much success with it, and know you have several on here looking forward to it. Does the album cover all of Jimmy's music (ie with The Variteers and as Jimmy Bell, etc ?).

OK - I'll stop with all the questions. I feel like sixteen-year-old asking Justin Bieber nonsense ... lol

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

ORION wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:41 pm
nothing definitive yet about a download. I'll bring it up again.
I would like to do a webpage for Jimmy and feature some of the other incredible music

Thank you so much for answering my question. It would be fantastic for a web site/page to showcase Jimmy's amazing vocals. It's obviously been a labor of love that you've seen this through. I wish all involved much success with it, and know you have several on here looking forward to it. Does the album cover all of Jimmy's music (ie with The Variteers and as Jimmy Bell, etc ?).

OK - I'll stop with all the questions. I feel like sixteen-year-old asking Justin Bieber nonsense ... lol
Please, ask away, I love that you're interested.
Thank you for success wishes. Yes! I was listening to the test pressings the other night and was very happy with the overall arc of music presented. It really is a nice representation of his talents. From the stark beauty of Without You to the group sound with the Varieteers, to his early solo work to his great pop / rock sides cut for Columbia, etc. I've included some unreleased tracks found in the Hickory Records vault as well as a super cool a capella acetate found in his personal collection.

ORION

Post by ORION »

Thank you for understanding my giddiness over this project. I've been reading about this 'mysterious singer' for most of my life. Then to have the mystery solved in the Mojo article sent me on a quest to hear more of Jimmy's music. It's seems like it's been an eternity since you first told us about the album, so I am thrilled to know it will be available in only a few months. Each answer you provide whets my appetite even more like your I've included some unreleased tracks found in the Hickory Records vault. There's no way you could know that two of my favorite finds are: Going Down to the River (which would have fit the Elvis Is back! album perfectly) and What'cha Gonna Do About Me which happen to be from his Hickory Records' recordings. Not to mention that that label's vault was intact and some unreleased material by Jimmy existed - simply incredible...

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

ORION wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:44 am
Thank you for understanding my giddiness over this project. I've been reading about this 'mysterious singer' for most of my life. Then to have the mystery solved in the Mojo article sent me on a quest to hear more of Jimmy's music. It's seems like it's been an eternity since you first told us about the album, so I am thrilled to know it will be available in only a few months. Each answer you provide whets my appetite even more like your I've included some unreleased tracks found in the Hickory Records vault. There's no way you could know that two of my favorite finds are: Going Down to the River (which would have fit the Elvis Is back! album perfectly) and What'cha Gonna Do About Me which happen to be from his Hickory Records' recordings. Not to mention that that label's vault was intact and some unreleased material by Jimmy existed - simply incredible...
I too had been reading about the mystery my whole life! That's why I was so incredulous when I heard the snippet of Without You.
That's so great that you've sought out his music. Good call on Going Down To The River (Elvis would have done a great job). The people I worked with at Sony (Hickory) were great, very helpful but really didn't know what was there. Since I knew the music every time I'd find/hear something that was unreleased I would flip out.

BobDylan
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by BobDylan »

Definite RSD purchase and will be first on my list.

ORION

Post by ORION »

Is there a link available to order the album in case my Record store doesn't get a a copy or two in stock ? Do you any idea how many are being pressed ?

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

ORION wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:49 pm
Is there a link available to order the album in case my Record store doesn't get a a copy or two in stock ? Do you any idea how many are being pressed ?
Hi Orion
I know 1,000 copies are being pressed. After the 18th I would imagine copies will be made available online. I've gotten lucky and snagged some post Record Store Day releases at Dusty Groove

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

Also, per the ORG PR team, press is having an "excellent response" to the album and Jimmy's story.

ORION

Post by ORION »

Also, per the OAlso, per the ORG PR team, press is having an "excellent response" to the album and Jimmy's story.

Glad to know that the story is gaining steam. Hopefully, this continues to build as we near the record's release. Thanks for the tip on the store. This is for sure a release to which I'm looking forward to getting. Thanks again for sharing this news and continuing to keep the thread alive.

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by elvis4life »

I just viewed the tracklisting & saw that the song "Gas"/"No Gas" [which was the flipside of the "Without You" acetate] is NOT on there, how come? Will
"Gas"/"No Gas" be released sometime in the future? Thanks in advance.

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

elvis4life wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:33 pm
I just viewed the tracklisting & saw that the song "Gas"/"No Gas" [which was the flipside of the "Without You" acetate] is NOT on there, how come? Will
"Gas"/"No Gas" be released sometime in the future? Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the question. My intention was to put together a compilation that would show Jimmy's progression as an artist. I didn't want to leave a Jimmy cut off the record for "No Gas." I know fans (like me) would want to hear "No Gas" so we'll figure something out! Stay tuned.

skabillyrebels

Post by skabillyrebels »

Maybe a replica 10 inch acetate Without You!/ "Gas"/"No Gas" ?

That would go nicely with my other 10 inch replicas.

ORION

Post by ORION »

The track listing looks very nice. I understand your wanting to show the progression of Jimmy vocal talents, but I gotta admit I'm a wee bit disappointed you left off my favorite track. I thought I'd share it with everyone who might be on the fence as far as seeking out this LP. Maybe...just maybe you'll advance the track listing on a second or expanded Download version of the LP.

Again, I wish you much success with the obvious labor of love.

https://www111.zippyshare.com/v/kE4dV9Y2/file.html

(GOING DOWN TO THE RIVER - HICKORY RECORDS 1960)

skabillyrebels

Post by skabillyrebels »

Hi Orion
Thank you for the track. have a listen to the start of both tracks
Elvis Presley ~ What A Wonderful Life.

ORION

Post by ORION »

WOW!!! That's pretty damn close... Could Elvis have possibly heard the Hickory release or maybe its some of the same session players playing on both. Nice ears skabillyrebels!!

elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by elvis4life »

I guess this release as well as other RSD releases will have to wait until 6/20, view this: https://recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/9003

"We’ve decided that the best of all possible moves is to change the date of Record Store Day this year to Saturday, June 20.

We think this gives stores around the world the best chance to have a profitable, successful Record Store Day, while taking into consideration the recommendations of doctors, scientists, the World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control, and the need to be good citizens of both local and worldwide communities.

We’re working with all of our partners and our stores to make this change as smooth as possible for everyone who participates in Record Store Day: customers, record stores, artists, labels and more. Record Store Day is everywhere and we want to hold our party when everyone can gather around safely to celebrate life, art, music and the culture of the indie record store."

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

elvis4life wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:26 pm
I guess this release as well as other RSD releases will have to wait until 6/20, view this: https://recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/9003

"We’ve decided that the best of all possible moves is to change the date of Record Store Day this year to Saturday, June 20.

We think this gives stores around the world the best chance to have a profitable, successful Record Store Day, while taking into consideration the recommendations of doctors, scientists, the World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control, and the need to be good citizens of both local and worldwide communities.

We’re working with all of our partners and our stores to make this change as smooth as possible for everyone who participates in Record Store Day: customers, record stores, artists, labels and more. Record Store Day is everywhere and we want to hold our party when everyone can gather around safely to celebrate life, art, music and the culture of the indie record store."
Yes, the album is delayed. It seems we're in uncharted territory here so nothing left to do but go with the flow.

Topic author
GuyLambert

Post by GuyLambert »

I should be getting copies of the actual album any day now! I'll post pics...

Here's an in depth discussion:

The Vinyl Guide - Ep215: The Mystery Record That Influenced Elvis

BobDylan
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by BobDylan »

I'm really looking forward to getting this album. It was/is at the top of my list for RSD.