Asheville, July 22, 1975

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Robert

Re: Asheville, July 22, 1975

Post by Robert »

lovin' EP wrote:Robert, if you thought he still looked great. then why did you have to slip in a comment about his weight?? That has NOTHING to do with the purpose of this thread, which is to remember the 42nd anniversary of this show. I am finished venting. Thank you.

Elvisly,

Linda
Maybe it's better to not jump on it twice Linda.
As noted, I still think he looked great!

Robert

Post by Robert »

On FECC: Greensboro departure, destination Asheville!

YDKM

~

Post by YDKM »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
YDKM wrote::shock: wow $100 in 1975 certainly is a fortune for a ticket, but as you say well worth it`! :D
$100 in 1975 → $455 in 2017.
absolutely- and that's why recently i passed up the chance to see Paul Mc Cartney in December in Sydney because i wouldn't pay A$406 for a floor seat ticket! :shock:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

drjohncarpenter

Re: ~

Post by drjohncarpenter »

YDKM wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
YDKM wrote::shock: wow $100 in 1975 certainly is a fortune for a ticket, but as you say well worth it`! :D
absolutely- and that's why recently i passed up the chance to see Paul Mc Cartney in December in Sydney because i wouldn't pay A$406 for a floor seat ticket! :shock:
Too bad, he's not going to tour forever ...

See:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98238

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Thanks so much Linda and Steve in SC. Those are great memories and we're grateful that you took the time to kindly share them here. You have some wonderful memories of being with Elvis.

rlj

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

unfortunately Doc i'm spending $700 on Elvis books this week...so that's more important than seeing a living legend!~ :?

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

steve in SC

Post by steve in SC »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
steve in SC wrote:Hi Linda, I was fortunate enough to be there as you know. It was one of the best shows I saw for sure. I remember Shake A Hand but of course had no idea it was the first time he did it live. Maybe it was the smaller venue, but the crowd was very receptive and Elvis seemed to feed off it. I also remember that Elvis really looked good. It was a great show. I still could kick myself for not going back to the 2nd and 3rd shows as I live only about an hour away from Asheville. :facep:
What was J.D. doing when Elvis sang "Why Me Lord?" by himself? Were you able to take a peek in his direction?
Dr.J, Even if I saw what he was doing I really don't remember. Sorry.

Hans

Post by Hans »

Here 3 Asheville picturtes taken by Harold Newton. Hope you like these and maybe they bring back some extra memories.

It is great reading those eye-witnes experiences. Please keep on posting these. You guys know what it really was to experience Elvis live in concert!

Topic author
lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

Hans wrote:Here 3 Asheville picturtes taken by Harold Newton. Hope you like these and maybe they bring back some extra memories.

It is great reading those eye-witnes experiences. Please keep on posting these. You guys know what it really was to experience Elvis live in concert!
Thank you so much for posting the beautiful pictures. I don't think I've seen these! Harold made some nice pictures on his travels to see Elvis. I never met him, as he was not usually at the south concerts. I think he was mostly in the central part of the U.S.A.

Elvisly,

Linda

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Cool shots....thank you...!

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Topic author
Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

Ciscoking wrote:Belongs to the best shows Elvis ever gave..with strong set list...pure stage entertainment ..
I agree. The Asheville shows in question are definitely in the top five hundred from 1969 to 1977. I listened to all three at work today. A pure pleasure, even though I don't care that much for audience recordings any more. The July 22 show was the one I enjoyed the most (it's also my mother's birthday), followed by July 24 and July 23 (the sound wasn't that good).

Steve and Linda, thanks for sharing your memories, and the rest of you for sharing pictures from the time. Elvis looked truly stunning in July 1975. Some of the pictures might actually be mistaken for February 1970. That's how great he looked. Now, were are all the soundboards from this tour? In Bruce Jackson's collection?

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Ken Jensen wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Belongs to the best shows Elvis ever gave..with strong set list...pure stage entertainment ..
I agree. The Asheville shows in question are definitely in the top five hundred from 1969 to 1977. I listened to all three at work today. A pure pleasure, even though I don't care that much for audience recordings any more. The July 22 show was the one I enjoyed the most (it's also my mother's birthday), followed by July 24 and July 23 (the sound wasn't that good).

Steve and Linda, thanks for sharing your memories, and the rest of you for sharing pictures from the time. Elvis looked truly stunning in July 1975. Some of the pictures might actually be mistaken for February 1970. That's how great he looked. Now, were are all the soundboards from this tour? In Bruce Jackson's collection?
:D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Ken Jensen wrote:

Your disrespect for a member's simple wish is stunning. The fact that Abbott and Costello thanked you for your post says so much about respect on this forum.

Topic author
Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:

Your disrespect for a member's simple wish is stunning. The fact that Abbott and Costello thanked you for your post says so much about respect on this forum.
I was honoring said member's wish. Read my post again. I'm being civilized here. Too bad the same can't be said for you. What need is there to disrespect two forum members like this, calling them childish names? Please get over yourself, and let's have a nice thread here.

Topic author
The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:

Your disrespect for a member's simple wish is stunning.
I didn't know that we're allowed to dictate what others can or cannot say in reply to a post. When was that rule brought in?

Topic author
TCBell

Post by TCBell »

lovin' EP wrote:Thanks, Makaveli. Nice shots from this wonderful show. My friend gave Elvis the red telephone he is holding and he put it to his ear and walked around the stage singing "Memphis." A memorable moment for my friend. She was so worried he wouldn't like the phone, but I told her I knew he would. He didn't disappoint us! Bless his heart.

Elvisly,

Linda
Linda, your concert memories are always a pleasure to read. Thank you!

steve in SC

Post by steve in SC »

lovin' EP wrote:
Hans wrote:Here 3 Asheville picturtes taken by Harold Newton. Hope you like these and maybe they bring back some extra memories.

Thank you so much for posting the beautiful pictures. I don't think I've seen these! Harold made some nice pictures on his travels to see Elvis. I never met him, as he was not usually at the south concerts. I think he was mostly in the central part of the U.S.A.

Elvisly,

Linda
Linda, Harold Newton was actually from my hometown of Greenville, SC. IIRC he worked for an airline and that was how he was able to travel so much to take pictures of EP. As long as there was a seat available he could fly for free.

Topic author
lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

Thanks, Steve. Interesting to know Harold was from your home town. He made some great photos.

Elvisly,

Linda

steve in SC

Post by steve in SC »

YDKM wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I saw Paul less than 2 weeks ago(July 13th). He is 75 and put on nearly a 3 hour show, non-stop.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

Good shows only when compared to the ever declining standard he was setting. He was overweight and little more than a parody of himself. And no he did not look stunning.Wasn't this the infamous catfish etc tour? Sure his voice was solid and was somewhat dried out on this tour but he was spiraling out of control. It is fair to say that these couple of weeks were giant head fakes to his inner circle and fans-maybe he would really straighten out. Sadly no.

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Katy Perry Sydney Tickets
Qudos Bank Arena
$185–$495 :facep:
'Nuff said!

Topic author
TCBell

Post by TCBell »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:

No, at least Abbott and Costello were funny sometimes. I was thinking more Hinge and Bracket!

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

steve in SC wrote:
YDKM wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I saw Paul less than 2 weeks ago(July 13th). He is 75 and put on nearly a 3 hour show, non-stop.
Good for you. Personally, I wouldn´t go even if someone gave me a ticket for free...

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

MikeFromHolland wrote:.

How cool it must have been to witness the very first live version of Shake A Hand! Do you remember that moment? And what were your thoughts?

Thank you. A good performance.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Thanks Linda for your memories.