Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, why not double?

Post by frus75 »

Do you think that if MSG would´ve been a double album it would have reached number 1?

ivan

AMARILLO 77 AND OTHERS FOR SALE

https://www.ebay.com/sch/tcb-ivest/m.html?item=222583386593&hash=item33d300f1e1%3Ag%3ALGUAAOSwhilZa0Ab&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Iván

La voz del Rey

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Re: MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, why not double?

Post by When In Rome »

frus75 wrote:Do you think that if MSG would´ve been a double album it would have reached number 1?

ivan

AMARILLO 77 AND OTHERS FOR SALE

https://www.ebay.com/sch/tcb-ivest/m.html?item=222583386593&hash=item33d300f1e1%3Ag%3ALGUAAOSwhilZa0Ab&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
I'm not sure of the logic behind your reasoning?
Or did you just want to get your eBay sales an extra chance of more views? Image

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

norrie
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by norrie »

Possibly. Do double albums not mean double sales in the USA billboard charts ?

DENBOW
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by DENBOW »

may be a double when it comes out on F.T.D cd set some time :smt005 :smt006

When In Rome

Post by When In Rome »

norrie wrote:Possibly. Do double albums not mean double sales in the USA billboard charts ?
Apparently they do. I never knew that! So what one would have to do is times the actual sales in that week by two then see what was the number one that week and if MSG would have outsold it.
If one can be bothered.
Ummm, this one can't. Sorry... Image

norrie

Post by norrie »

When In Rome wrote:
norrie wrote:Possibly. Do double albums not mean double sales in the USA billboard charts ?
Apparently they do. I never knew that! So what one would have to do is times the actual sales in that week by two then see what was the number one that week and if MSG would have outsold it.
If one can be bothered.

Nor me mate :!:

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

When In Rome wrote:
If one can be bothered.
You could say that about any album in that case.

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by stevelecher »

Not Speedway.

When In Rome

Post by When In Rome »

The Pirate wrote:
When In Rome wrote:
If one can be bothered.
You could say that about any album in that case.
Yeah... s'pose, if one can be bothered.
I didn't start this fire by the way, I'm merely stoking it to get out of decorating.

Uh-oh, rumbled!
Back to work...

norrie

Post by norrie »

If Aloha was a single album would it have went to #1 ? Would it still have had a gatefold sleeve ? Would Chicken of the Sea still care ?

Topic author
frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

Well, just to elaborate a little, I saw a discussion on Steve Hoffmann saying that the original MSG suffered from having too much music on a single album. They said that the new vinyl version by legacy addressed that by being a double album. My own USA copy sounds quite good, even being of course a single album and on dynaflex. But those audiophile guys were saying that being less than 100 grams vinyl and more than 50 minutes long made the sound suffer.

So then I asked myself that as Billboard counted each double album sold as 2 sales, if the original had been double and with more than 500000 copies sold in a matter of weeks and a lot more in its initial chart course, it could have been top 10 or even top 5.

On the other side, a double album sure was more expensive...

Iván

selling amarillo ftd and a few more

Iván

La voz del Rey

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

frus75 wrote:Well, just to elaborate a little, I saw a discussion on Steve Hoffmann saying that the original MSG suffered from having too much music on a single album. They said that the new vinyl version by legacy addressed that by being a double album. My own USA copy sounds quite good, even being of course a single album and on dynaflex. But those audiophile guys were saying that being less than 100 grams vinyl and more than 50 minutes long made the sound suffer.

So then I asked myself that as Billboard counted each double album sold as 2 sales, if the original had been double and with more than 500000 copies sold in a matter of weeks and a lot more in its initial chart course, it could have been top 10 or even top 5.

On the other side, a double album sure was more expensive...

Iván

selling amarillo ftd and a few more
You're applying 2017 criteria to 1972 standards. Very very few people back then were buying their albums based on vinyl weight. Or even on sound quality. You bought an LP and you played it on your mum and dad's massive stereo system which was housed inside a wood effect drinks cabinet, or else you played it on something akin to a traveling salesman's sample case. Plus, you were unlikely to reject a new Elvis record on the basis that there was too much music on it, after years of buying movie soundtracks that lasted ten minutes per side in some cases.

MartyMcFly
Registered for: 15 years

Post by MartyMcFly »

The album charts back then were Dollars volume based. So it may be that it would have charted higher. In Cashbox it was number 8 or so.