FTD's "Hometown Shows"

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Re: FTD's "Hometown Shows"

Post by frus75 »

That FTD release is the best soundboard release ever. If Memphis 75 had been unreleased we'd be less critical with it. But that 74 show, for me, is the best soundboard ever. Period. It sounds so good it's hard not to believe that it comes from a multitrack mono mix

Iván

La voz del Rey

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Re: FTD's

Post by Robert »

frus75 wrote:That FTD release is the best soundboard release ever. If Memphis 75 had been unreleased we'd be less critical with it. But that 74 show, for me, is the best soundboard ever. Period. It sounds so good it's hard not to believe that it comes from a multitrack mono mix
Maybe it was another test run just like Richmond.
In fact, this show sounds better.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by minkahed »

I agree the concert sounds really great, but not that great.

Imo, the concert that's included on Disc 1 in the "Sold-Out" collection is way better.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

frus75 wrote:That FTD release is the best soundboard release ever. If Memphis 75 had been unreleased we'd be less critical with it. But that 74 show, for me, is the best soundboard ever. Period. It sounds so good it's hard not to believe that it comes from a multitrack mono mix
I don't think it's that we've heard it before. I think it's that most of us view the Memphis show as one of the best of 1975 - but pairing it with such a winner of a show from 1974, especially in such stunning sound quality, unfortunately shows up its shortcomings. Had it been paired instead with Memphis 76, we would be looking on it far more favourably.

Robert

Post by Robert »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
I don't think it's that we've heard it before. I think it's that most of us view the Memphis show as one of the best of 1975 - but pairing it with such a winner of a show from 1974, especially in such stunning sound quality, unfortunately shows up its shortcomings. Had it been paired instead with Memphis 76, we would be looking on it far more favourably.
74 usually prevails over 75 so nothing new here.
What compliments each other is the show variety (incl set list differences)

Combining these two shows was the right thing to do although 76 should have been there too.
That show survives in the middle of all this knowing that the 1974 show is the real reason to buy for most.

nyelvfan
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by nyelvfan »

The Memphis '74 show on Hometown Shows sounds much better than the March 1 show on Sold Out in my opinion. Anyone else agree?

StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

nyelvfan wrote:The Memphis '74 show on Hometown Shows sounds much better than the March 1 show on Sold Out in my opinion. Anyone else agree?
I agree. It's much better ballanced.

Topic author
FrankieRider2
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Austin wrote:Where did you see Elvis in 1971, Frankie?

I'm guessing either Tuscaloosa or Louisville...

EDIT:

Ok, I see at the top it was Tuscaloosa. That must have been a thrill. The setlist that night looks amazing. Fort Worth '72 is another awesome show (not that any you went to were bad).
Austin, yes we first saw him in Tuscaloosa in 1971. Got some fantastic Polaroids where you can see....nothing at all.

Seriously, we were fortunate that we never did see Elvis when he was really "bad", or mumbled/slurred his words, or lurched around the stage like has been reported at some gigs in '77. If I had seen him in the EIC period, that would have killed me. I would have still loved him because he was Elvis and my hero, but I can't say what it would have done to me.

We did see some great shows, indeed, and people say "wouldn't you love to go back in time and see him again?" and I always think "no, I wish I could send someone else back in time so they could experience what I did". Because it was off-the-charts amazing, Austin. You can watch everything, listen to everything, look at everything...and that doesn't even scratch the surface, friend. I just can't explain it to anyone who didn't experience it.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

Robert

Post by Robert »

nyelvfan wrote:The Memphis '74 show on Hometown Shows sounds much better than the March 1 show on Sold Out in my opinion. Anyone else agree?
Yep, it's hard to believe they used the same recording method.

Topic author
FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Ken Jensen wrote:Frankie, you are absolutely first class through and through. I just wanted you to know that. The story about your father being on the same plane as Joe Esposito is quite something. It's like it was destined to go down that way. I would love to hear more about your stories, for instance some of those that were not so funny at the time. :D
Thank you, Ken...you are too kind.

Here's a little short memory about Tuscaloosa: that show was a matinee performance and as a rule we used to try to be around the airport if possible for a chance to see Elvis arrive whenever we saw him. So we get to the airport, and his charter is already there; missing that, we start heading for the venue at the college. My mom decides she's thirsty, and yours truly has to go to the...well, you know.

So we stop, I go tearing inside looking for the bathroom, and my dad gets dispatched for the drink. When I get back from the bathroom, my mom and sister are at the counter too. When I get up there, the clerk is literally hyperventilating and can't talk. In front of her on the counter are five brown paper bags with "To June - Thanks, Elvis Presley" scrawled across them. When she finally got calmed down, she told us how a limousine had pulled in by the door, and Elvis had come in to buy two bottles of DiGel antacid...crazy, right?

I'll post some more tonight after work for you, Ken. I promise you won't be bored. We never were... :)

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

Ciscoking
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Ciscoking »

Frankie..these memories are so precious....please be so kind and share as many as you can with us...I cant get enough...thank you, Sir !

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Rebel Yell
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Rebel Yell »

Are these shows sourced from soundboard or audience recordings? If you compare it to the released album Recorded Live In Memphis how good or bad is the sound on the FTD release?

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Rebel Yell wrote:Are these shows sourced from soundboard or audience recordings? If you compare it to the released album Recorded Live In Memphis how good or bad is the sound on the FTD release?
Soundboard.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

Rebel Yell wrote:Are these shows sourced from soundboard or audience recordings? If you compare it to the released album Recorded Live In Memphis how good or bad is the sound on the FTD release?
If you would have read this topic then you would have known the shows are from soundboard. The March 17th 1974 es is regarded as one of the best sounding sbd's released so far and the Memphis '75 one is, although inferior sounding to the '74 one, still very good.

Elvis2000
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

StefanKock1 wrote:
If you would have read this topic then you would have known the shows are from soundboard. The March 17th 1974 es is regarded as one of the best sounding sbd's released so far and the Memphis '75 one is, although inferior sounding to the '74 one, still very good.
Isn't it Reel To Reel tape?

StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

Elvis2000 wrote:
StefanKock1 wrote:
Could be, but it's unconfirmed as far as I know.

Elvis2000
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

StefanKock1 wrote:
Elvis2000 wrote:
StefanKock1 wrote:
To me this sound more like Reel To Reel, SB doesn't sound this good.
Cisco might know.

Tony C
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by Tony C »

Elvis2000 wrote:
StefanKock1 wrote:
Elvis2000 wrote:
StefanKock1 wrote:
To me this sound more like Reel To Reel, SB doesn't sound this good.
Cisco might know.
Lots of the soundboard tapes were open reel, not all were cassettes.

Topic author
FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Ciscoking wrote:Frankie..these memories are so precious....please be so kind and share as many as you can with us...I cant get enough...thank you, Sir !
Well, I don't mind sharing if you don't mind me going back to the beginning...because you really have to in order to understand. It really does fit together all the way through. This will be in parts, but I'll tell the whole story.

When my family moved back to Arkansas in 1970, we were already established Elvis fanatics. Having lived in Memphis since 1960, my parents were regulars at the Graceland Gates. Dad owned a leather company in Memphis back then and he would drop us by the Gates as he went to work and pick us back up when he came home. The riots in 1968 after MLK was killed in Memphis started their plans to return home; it took a couple years to get it done.

I still recall when Elvis was home how he would have the gates opened and fans were free to come on the property and mill around so long as they were courteous, children could play, and lots of the time Elvis would come down to the Gates if he was home. Fans could go up to the house to make photos, accompanied by a guard.

On horseback, he would come down and visit, pose for photos, and/or sign autographs. Sometimes for hours, again on horseback but he would sometimes stand on a stump that used to be on the grounds down closer to the gate. I looked for it during our trip of 6/30 but apparently it has been removed. I don't recall ever seeing him in a golf cart at the gates, always on a horse...

The day I most remember is one I've recently mentioned here. It was in 1969 and I was standing next to Elvis' horse Rising Sun with my mother. I would pet the horse's side and he would whinny and look back at me. After about the third time, another lady there said "son, you can see a horse anytime, but you don't get to see Elvis Presley every day..." Elvis and Priscilla both got tickled and it escalated to Elvis leaning back in his saddle just belly laughing for about 30 seconds. And he looked down at me, patted me on top of my head, and said "he's a beauty, isn't he?" All I could do was gape, and he winked at me before returning his attention to other fans.

My mom stepped up then and asked him for an autograph. Elvis said "sure honey, do you have something I can sign?" My mom got a card out of her purse and handed it up to him with a pen. He autographed it and then asked "do you want 'Cilla to sign it too?" Mom said "sure" and Elvis handed her the card and pen...and she proceeded to almost sign her name right over Elvis'. To this day, my Mom says she never liked her after that! Haha. And the autograph is in a bank vault to this day...

When we moved back to Arkansas, my father went to work for a rubber company called Sieberling. They made rubber shoe products, tires, etc., but the plant here focused on the "shoe findings" business servicing shoe companies and factories across the US. My father was a born salesman and rose quickly in the company to where he was gone on trips a lot across the US. He went to Boston a lot for some reason and also to California. Sieberling was very interested on what was popular out there because Batesville, Arkansas wasn't the "mecca" of shoe design then by any chance. They knew if they could tap into the beach market, they could really move some shoes. So my Dad started going out there a lot trying to sell these shoe dealers Sieberling products.

In the meantime, we had been to our first concert in Tuscaloosa, AL thanks to Rocky Barra's Strictly Elvis "Instant News Service". Somehow he would get the dates from Tom Parker's office before they went public and post them in his little magazine. That's how we got our first tickets to a FANtastic show in Tuscaloosa. Damn, it was a great show...he was like a black tornado that night. I mean he got into every nook and cranny of that venue without leaving the stage. The image, the joy of performing, the complete control of us in the crowd...that is still vividly with me. And he had The Cape; hero worship kicked into high gear for me.

So my dad gets up about 2 songs before the end (missing Jailhouse Rock - one of his favorites) and decides to go outside and see if he can get shots of Elvis leaving the venue since it was a matinee show.

To make a long story shorter, for those of you who've seen EOT I'm sure you remember the deluge of Elvis, his guys with him, and the crowd chasing him up and down an entrance ramp? Well, that exactly what headed towards my Dad at breakneck speed and, yes, he got steamrollered.

Naturally after coming out we went around trying to find Dad and see the great shots he got. We found him slumped on a curb, picking trash out of his hair and holding a broken Polaroid land camera. If he hadn't looked so pitiful, we would have laughed, but after he told us he really thought he was going to die in that mob we thought better of it...and he got no photos before his camera was destroyed. Go ahead, laugh with me now,though, everyone....hahahaha.

More to come Ken Jensen, Ciscoking, and anyone else interested. I'll start a new topic in order to not draw focus from this musical post.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Robert wrote:
Maybe it was another test run just like Richmond.
In fact, this show sounds better.
I'll never believe the Richmond show was taken from a multitrack recording... that story is hogwash...

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

Frankie, I just love that story about you, your Mom, and Elvis on the horse. Just awesome.

ImageImageImage

Topic author
FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Rich, I've got an old Polaroid taken on that day as Elvis was heading back to the stables. If I can find it tonight, I'll post it here.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

I'd love to see it.

ImageImageImage

Topic author
FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Here you go, Rich. It at the end of the afternoon and he's in the distance using a Kodak Instamatic, but it was a great day. The girl in the foreground was with the woman who chided me about the horse....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA